Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Coconut oil is used by the body as imediate energy instead of being stored as fat. Some programs use a Tbl as a freebie. If it doesn't bother ...YEA!
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1 View Post
I will also join the low-er carb version of JUDDD! The holidays extended a little too far and the sugar monster came back reallly fast! --> need to get those cravings under control we can do this!
Hi Angie!

Yes we can do this!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
Pretty happy with my progress today. Only slipped up when I ate the tangerine, forgot it has so many carbs, so my count came a bit higher than I planned, managed to keep it under 25, it's a good start.

Today I relearned that LC is calorie dense but very satisifying, I do like this aspect of this WOE.

I tried to make an almond milk pudding with that Resistant Corn Starch 260 that I bought from Netrition recently. I brought it to a boil like regular pudding thickened with corn starch, but even after it cooled, it was still runny. Went to the website and found that it's not used for thickening. So, I whisked in .5tsp gluc powder, fingers crossed it will thicken overnight. This pudding should come in at 3carbs and 50cal for 1 cup, should help with the chocolate cravings even on a dd.
Hi Luv...under 25 carbs is good I think! I consider anything around 30 or less a good day.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyw/kitties View Post
Coconut oil is used by the body as imediate energy instead of being stored as fat. Some programs use a Tbl as a freebie. If it doesn't bother ...YEA!
Thanks grammy! I knew someone around here would know the answer.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

ooops erasing double post
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
Hi Luv...under 25 carbs is good I think! I consider anything around 30 or less a good day.
Thank you, Jan!
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Now you're talkin'!!!

I think there is (dark) chocolate running through my veins!
Mee too!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Hmmm - so I can have my T of CO on DD too! I'm going to try it starting today as it does help with stomach 'emptying'!! Plus, I like it.

My dogs also like it. When I open the jar, they come running. Just a bit tho, as I don't want them to have too much of the 'emptying' thing too fast!

I went about 70 carbs yesterday(that darn pita). I'm thinking I also need to bring my protein down as I've read that excess protein turns into glucose in the body. Guess my fat goes up!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Yeah me too, Arlene. I just feel heavy when I eat very many carbs anymore.
but other than the sleepy thing, the sandwich sounds good!

And.... Hope you have had a great one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
Wildflower!

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Can't believe that 65 is here already... but that I'm still happy and healthy as I can be is a good thing!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday, Arlene..On my ud I have been trying to keep carbs below 40..and sometimes doing the potato day on the dd's....well I had been sailing along..until today...I was up a pound for the first time..and I have thought and thought...what did I do differently?...the only thing I have done differently is start taking the pterostilbene...hmmmm...well..I'm not blaming it on that ..we all have different bodies and they respond differently...so Im having another dd , and hoping to get back to the magic..I hope you all have a great day.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Hmmm - so I can have my T of CO on DD too! I'm going to try it starting today as it does help with stomach 'emptying'!! Plus, I like it.

My dogs also like it. When I open the jar, they come running. Just a bit tho, as I don't want them to have too much of the 'emptying' thing too fast!

I went about 70 carbs yesterday(that darn pita). I'm thinking I also need to bring my protein down as I've read that excess protein turns into glucose in the body. Guess my fat goes up!
Yes, Arlene. Try a little CO on your DD's and see if it makes a difference, either good or bad. I know for me it seems to help me keep on track and keep "emptying" in a healthy way. LOL

I buy the organi virgin coconut oil at Trader Joe's. Its only $6 for a 16 oz jar and it seems a little less "greasy" than some of the other brands I've tried. It has a mild coconut taste which I like. I put only a teaspoon in tea or when frying eggs, sauteeing vegetables etc.
Most DD's I have one tsp, sometimes two. On UD's I have more maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons, helps get the calories up and like you, I just like it!

Thats cute about your dogs liking it too! That tells you a lot about CO if it even appeals to the doggies.

Being pre-diabetic, I've learned that too much protein can turn into glucose for me too. I try to eat high fat (healthy fats) medium protein, and low carb. There's a lot of good info on this WOE over on the Nutritional Ketosis threads.

Quote:
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Can't believe that 65 is here already... but that I'm still happy and healthy as I can be is a good thing!
I'm getting close, Arlene. Hitting 60 made me take a serious look at my health and I got real about doing better taking care of myself. Time goes so fast. Hard for me to believe that I have granddaughters who are in college! a grandson who is now old enough to drive, and baby granddaughter who will be in middle school next year! But...like you said, I'm happy and pretty darn healthy for someone who schlepped around with so much weight for many years. I'm thankful I 'saw the light' and am taking better care of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
I'm a little late, but Happy Birthday, Arlene..On my ud I have been trying to keep carbs below 40..and sometimes doing the potato day on the dd's....well I had been sailing along..until today...I was up a pound for the first time..and I have thought and thought...what did I do differently?...the only thing I have done differently is start taking the pterostilbene...hmmmm...well..I'm not blaming it on that ..we all have different bodies and they respond differently...so Im having another dd , and hoping to get back to the magic..I hope you all have a great day.
Hi Jaymar, Interesting about the ptero. I looked for it yesterday at Walgreen's but they didn't have it so I will order it from Swansons. I take resveratrol 2x per day and it seems to help me with appetite especially on DD's.
You are so right, we are all different. I think life is a big science experiment when it comes to striving to stay healthy. I've tried so many things over the years and I'm convinced JUDDD is the way for me! Plus where else on the internet will you find so many wonderful people who are so nice and so smart and helpful. I love JUDDD and all my JUDDD buddds!

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Yes..this really is a great place...well, this morning I seem to be in a stall...and I said I wouldn't blame the ptero...but..it's the only thing Ive done different..so I may have to start all over...if I do, then I go back to the lowest dd for about two weeks?...I just hope I can get back to where I was...I don't know what else would have cause a complete stall, because I was doing great with about 1800 on up days..and about 700 on dd....I also had another problem with the ptero..it appeared to give me a headache...haven't had one since I stopped two days ago..well..to me it's very disappointing, but all I know to do is start over..isn't there a two week type of induction...I dont have the book..but I remember doing the 500 cals on dd for two weeks.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
Yes..this really is a great place...well, this morning I seem to be in a stall...and I said I wouldn't blame the ptero...but..it's the only thing Ive done different..so I may have to start all over...if I do, then I go back to the lowest dd for about two weeks?...I just hope I can get back to where I was...I don't know what else would have cause a complete stall, because I was doing great with about 1800 on up days..and about 700 on dd....I also had another problem with the ptero..it appeared to give me a headache...haven't had one since I stopped two days ago..well..to me it's very disappointing, but all I know to do is start over..isn't there a two week type of induction...I dont have the book..but I remember doing the 500 cals on dd for two weeks.
Hi Jaymar, Sorry to hear the ptero didn't work for you. Stalling and headaches would be a good clue that maybe it is the new supplement. I don't blame you for not taking it now. I don't have it yet, but I do want to try it. I'm a firm believer that every thing doesn't work for every person.

To get the SIRTs and weight loss going again, you should probably go back to the 20% numbers on Dr J's site. For me they are 460/2100 but on UD's I usually stick to about 1800. The great thing about JUDDD is that you'll bet back where you want to be with a couple good DD's under your belt!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Jan .guess I will hold to the 'if it aint broke, don't fix it" in the future..I do know that I'm sensitive to a lot of pills.....I take blood pressure pills and when they started putting fillers in from China...I broke out like a speckled puppy..I'm so glad you reminded me that maybe after a couple of dd I can get back on track...I was so happy, and even had the calm..so I will try not to feel so defeated...back to the calculator and onward..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Jaymar, sorry you're feeling like that. But you know, our bodies do take a break every now and then. Like they have to re-assess what's going on before they'll let go of more weight or something. I don't really think we can tell "for sure" what causes something or not after just a few days. It could be something completely different going on in there. I don't blame you for quitting the ptero though, if you think it's causing you headaches. That's not really something you want to experiment with. Hang in there! You'll be losing again before you know it!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Jaymar, sorry to hear the ptero is associated with your headache. I remember reading in the ptero thread there were a couple of folks who had that. Bummer. Maybe if you switched brands it might help? Also, I was thinking the same thing that LCG said when I was reading your post. I've seen reports of month long stalls on this board from folks, but those that stick it out usually break the stall eventually. Looking at your numbers, you could try lowering the DD calorie level by 100 or 200 calories and see if that helps.

Getting back to Low Carb has been a good thing for me! My health issues are clearing up and I'm getting my groove on with it! The almond milk chocolate pudding I made really helps with the sweet tooth. I found whipped cream sweetened with Sucralose!! You know, the kind in a can? Made by LandOLakes - adds a lot of fun to an otherwise boring dessert!

When I discovered that I can make LC chocolate treats, I knew I could do this. Not even feeling too deprived, the health benefits outweigh that issue.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

LC chocolate treats help me a lot too.

Luvs how do you make the LC chocolate pudding with almond milk?

I like almond milk, and also coconut milk too.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

I've been experimenting, still trying to find a good combination of thickeners. I like glucomannan but it has limitations. I also have xanthan and guar gums, am planning to do some experiments with percentages of the three.

I've found the common recommendation of 1tsp gluc/cup is way too thick for me, I like a more creamy pudding. Here is the recipe for the last batch I made and I thought it turned out pretty good:

3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
2 cups almond milk (I prefer the kind without vanilla which seems to have an off note to it)
Sweetner of your choice = 1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp glucomannan powder

In a bowl, measure the cocoa powder, salt and sweetner if it's powdered. Mix well. Whisk in almond milk starting with a couple tablespoons to quarter cup or so (I eyeball it), until the cocoa powder is wetted and dispersed. Whisk in the rest of the almond milk, liquid sweetner if using that, and vanilla (actually forgot this in my last batch, it was still edible :-). Whisk or stir until incorporated. Using a whisk, slowly add the glucomannan powder over the top of the whisk while whisking the top of the liquid. Whisk thoroughly to disperse the gluc powder as best you can. Pour into sealed container and place in fridge.
I usually let this sit overnight because glucomannan seems to take a few hours to reach full gel.

This is my basic recipe. I like to add cinnamon(pinch) and coffee(granules, .5tsp) to my chocolate, but that's embellishment. According to the almond milk that I buy, here are the counts I add up, I use no calorie sweetner:

Total recipe: 90 calories, 3 carbs.

We can afford to add whipped cream to those numbers and still keep calories fairly low, yeah!

JayLynn, I've been thinking about trying this recipe with coconut milk too, I bet that would be good too!

Last edited by Luv2Eat; 01-18-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Luvs. Sounds good, I'll give it a try. I don't have the glucomannan but i have xanthan.

where do you get the gluco? I've had to shop for so many weird things while on LC and some of them are hard to find...LOL
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome!
As best as I can tell from my internet searches, all three thickeners can be used at an equal replacement ratio 1:1, so you should be able to replace the gluc with an equal amount of xanthan.
Bought the gluc from Netrition, apparently they stock the loose powder now, due to requests from the LC community - used to only be able to find it in capsules and folks were breaking the capsules and cooking with the powder, lol!
I know, the LC stuff is hard to find. Love Netrition with the flat $4.95 shipping and they pack so well, their margins must be thin.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

i used to order from them a lot but I found the Walden Farm's sugar free chocolate syrup I use to make mocha's at Fred Meyer (Krogers) for about the same price so I haven't ordered in awhile. They do have a lot of the hard to find stuff though!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

I know from my Atkins days, I used to think that the amount of protein didn't matter if you weren't eating (many) carbs.

The doctor, at least in the early books where I learned this WOE, said you could eat all the protein and fat you wanted, just stay off, then limit, the carbs. The Atkins I first became familiar with said that you could eat all the eggs, bacon, meat, fish....protein....you wanted if you felt hungry.

But as I got older I realized that for me, eating too much protein made my glucose levels rise similar to if I had eaten bread or some cookies. Only when I ate a lot of it though. So now I try and stick with 50 or 60 grams of protein...good quality protein...per day. It seems to help me lose, feel better, and keep blood sugar in the right levels.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I think that if Dr. Atkins were alive today, he might have continued to modify his recommendations. That might include suggesting that some people need to limit protein intake if they hit a long-term stall. Unfortunately, Atkins is now a corporate entity focused on selling pre-prepared foods (including bars and shakes with sugar alcohols), and I think that limits their innovations and shapes their perceived "mission" (even though some excellent physicians like Phinney and Volek have authored their recent books).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Yeah big business took over atkins and it went downhill. At least in terms of the kind of stuff they market.

Look at how nutritional and diet advice has changed over the years. No wonder we're all so skeptical and confused with all the conflicting information we've been fed for so long.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I think that if Dr. Atkins were alive today, he might have continued to modify his recommendations. That might include suggesting that some people need to limit protein intake if they hit a long-term stall. Unfortunately, Atkins is now a corporate entity focused on selling pre-prepared foods (including bars and shakes with sugar alcohols), and I think that limits their innovations and shapes their perceived "mission" (even though some excellent physicians like Phinney and Volek have authored their recent books).
Agree completely!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I remember being on Atkins and buying the Atkins bars,..usually that was enough to trigger my cravings..had to stop eating them ...well..I'm back on a DD , and hoping that it won't take long for the sirts to kick in again...I so enjoyed that time..wasn't hungry...but today I'm starving....yes..I have read where people do get in a stall ..I am going to stick with this because this woe is the only thing that has ever given me consistent weight loss...thanks for all of the good advice..you guys are great.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Good for you Jaymar, for sticking with it. There are so many JUDDDers who have had a wild ride, the scales up and down, but ultimately most people do well on this WOE over time. I know we can all do it too! Hope those SIRTs kick in again for you real fast. They're one of the best things about JUDDD.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

I'm so excited I have to share it with my JUDDDBUDDDS! I talked with my cousin in Munich and I am definitely going to go to Germany for Oktoberfest this year! I was supposed to go last year but life got in the way and I wasn't able to.

Now I really have an incentive to get more weight off!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

That IS exciting news...very happy for you....I love to travel..don't get to do it much anymore...but I can just hear your excitement..that's great...and yes..I think that's a great incentive for you..I have summer plans, but don't know if they will work out . I did a lot of thinking on my UD, today...I need to do up some menus for the week..maybe that would help me..I will even pull out my famous old...cabbage,corn, and tomatoes for dd's...that is a dish that fills me up and has very few calories.