Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Coffee and why I'm quitting Atkins....

Let me just say I was doing JUDDD very sucessfully last spring, I lost 20 pounds in a little less than 2 months. After we got back from our summer vacation the motivation went south and I regained plus (shocker, I know). So...I started up on Atkins a couple weeks ago, have lost about 5 lbs and feel pretty good, but I now have a problem with the Stevia I was using in my coffee. My fingers were getting tingly and numb for a few months now and my toes were also joining in, I figured it was just from the extra weight and it would resolve itself after the weight came off. I have been drinking more coffee (and homemade lemonade) in the past few months, trying to limit my diet pepsi intake. As I was dumping in my 4th packet of stevia into my coffee the other day I wondered if the stevia was part of the issue with my hands, so I looked up 'numb hands stevia', sure enough it was a symptom! I have been stevia free for 2 days and the numbness and tingling is almost gone! So...I'm now in the market for something new to sweeten my coffee (I refuse to quit coffee!), I've been using 3 packets of sugar per cup for the last 2 days but obviously that is incompatable with Atkins. The more I read the more wary I am of artifical sweeteners, so I'm probably going to stick with sugar, and thus start back up with JUDDD. Hopefully I'll be more sucessful than the disaster of a couple months ago (got through 2 DD by the skin of my teeth!). I'm going to be doing it Low Glycemic (sugar is actually pretty darn low glycemic). Today is an UD and so far so good.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I wish you much success, Becky...we are all so different in how we respond to food and chemicals...a guy in the family retired about a year ago...and he drank so much diet soda that he's gained about fifty lbs...and mostly in his stomach too....of course, it's none of my business..but I am totally afraid of most sweetners...think I'd opt for real sugar over it...I did find one kind of sugar that I can use when I bake something...coconut palm sugar...I think it's low glycemic....and I also put it on a sweet potato once in a while to make it seem liked they are candied..it's expensive, but I don't use it very often..it hasn't seemed to cause a stall for me..
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Hi - I find it tough to stick with any plan when I am eating sugar or carbs - but everyone is different! You could try reducing sweetener in coffee, I used 2 sugars for years but gradually reduced. I still love my coffee but honestly my taste has changed and I can't drink coffee with sweetener!

Good luck!
Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehede View Post
Hi - I find it tough to stick with any plan when I am eating sugar or carbs - but everyone is different! You could try reducing sweetener in coffee, I used 2 sugars for years but gradually reduced. I still love my coffee but honestly my taste has changed and I can't drink coffee with sweetener!

Good luck!
Dee
Hi Dee, when I did JUDDD last year I was having a full out carbfest so I'm one of the "lucky" ones that has no problem with losing with carbs (though I've long suspected I have wheat issues) that being said, I FEEL Better doing low carb. I am trying to reduce the need for sweet in my coffee but the bitterness gets me going , so it will be a slow weaning process.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
back!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's good to be back!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Becky--I use a sweetener called "NectaSweet". It is in pellet form so it has no additives or fillers like those found in packets. I really enjoy it!!! I have 3 cups of coffee per day and enjoy every cup. Do not know what I would do without them LOL. It is how I get through the VLCDs (very low calorie days).
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Becky--I use a sweetener called "NectaSweet". It is in pellet form so it has no additives or fillers like those found in packets. I really enjoy it!!! I have 3 cups of coffee per day and enjoy every cup. Do not know what I would do without them LOL. It is how I get through the VLCDs (very low calorie days).
Looking it up....thanks!

Coffee has the appetite depleating effect with me too so there is no way I want to give it up.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Is liquid sucralose something you can use? I use EZ-SWEETZ and it is super concentrated (found online). 1 drop per cup of tea or coffee is enough for me. Also I found some squirt bottles like the MIO drinks near the fake sugar section of my local wal-mart.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Is liquid sucralose something you can use? I use EZ-SWEETZ and it is super concentrated (found online). 1 drop per cup of tea or coffee is enough for me. Also I found some squirt bottles like the MIO drinks near the fake sugar section of my local wal-mart.
I just bought a box of Splenda (sucralose) packets this morning and am testing it out right now, it's not as sweet to me as Stevia and has a funky taste to it, though I have read that stevia has a funky taste to it too (I never tasted it).

My only issue with plain old sugar is it has 15 calories per packet, I need three per cup and I usually have 3 or so cups per day, that is a lot of empty calories (it will show up on DD that is for sure).

I think I'm less paranoid about saccharin, it has been tested to death and deemed safe. The rat cancer stuff doesn't scare me as we had 2 beautiful male pet rats, spoiled rotten and very loved (and never fed saccharin) one got cancer one didn't, same story with my niece, 2 male rats, no saccharin, once got cancer one didn't. So 50% of all the rats I knew personally got cancer without the aid of saccharin. they as a species are just prone to it, that is why they are used for testing.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
I use 6 drops of those in my coffee when I am out and about.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
If you feel better doing low carb, you still can do low carb and include 2 teaspoons of sugar a day in your coffee. It's not Atkins, but the 4 grams of carbs from a teaspoon of sugar can easily fit into a low carb plan. And you can also do JUDDD at the same time!

If stevia bothers you (and remember, it's just another plant-based sweetener like sugar) but you want to keep avoiding sugar, there are lots of other lower carb sweeteners to try that don't contain synthetic chemicals. My personal favorite is erythritol, another plant-based sweetener, but much lower carb and lower calorie than sugar. But hey, if you want to keep sugar in your coffee but also feel better doing low carb, there's no reason at all that you can't do both.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mountaingirl30
Stats: HW:380/SW:200/CW:192/GW:170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I'm sure strict Atkins followers would balk, but I use Splenda, saccharin, and Truvia (Stevia/erythritol blend) all day long and I still lose fine, only counting the Truvia. I'd use straight Stevia, but I can't stand the bitterness. The erythritol does something to mute that. I refuse to use sugar for the obvious reasons, so where does that leave me if I quit using sweeteners? I drink tea all day, and I don't drink anything else. I used to drink my tea sweetened with a whole cup of white sugar to a gallon of tea. I like it SWEET. I buy my sucralose at Costco where it's about $12 for 1500 packets. The liquid is $13 for 800 packets equivalent. It's not as cost effective for me. Unless I noticed a stall while using all this stuff, I'm not worrying about it.
mountaingirl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Welcome back, Becky!! I'm so glad that you've found the source of the numb fingers, that can't be good. I like erythritol too, but too much gives me diarreah. Sucralose is my second choice after stevia. Another new sweetner on the market is monkfruit (the splenda folks make a version called Nectresse). There are a lot of new sweetner options these days! I love sugar in my coffee too, but the calorie profile does make a large dent in a down day calorie allotment.
MountainGirl30 - love your avitar!
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Do you have seasonal allergies? Stevia is part of the ragweed family of plants, so it could well be that your allergies are playing into your problems with it.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Do you have seasonal allergies? Stevia is part of the ragweed family of plants, so it could well be that your allergies are playing into your problems with it.
OMG!!!! Why am I just finding this out?!!? LOL I have been sneezing up a storm, runny nose off-and-on for weeks on end and it's the middle of winter. I thought to myself, 'wow, this is weird. I've never had allergies in winter before'. I wonder if it is the Stevia I have EVERY DAY in my coffee? Ugh. Going to try something else and see if that helps!!

Thanks so much for this knowledge!
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I've never had allergies before but I know the body changes as we get older so it is not beyond the realm of possibility.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
OMG!!!! Why am I just finding this out?!!? LOL I have been sneezing up a storm, runny nose off-and-on for weeks on end and it's the middle of winter. I thought to myself, 'wow, this is weird. I've never had allergies in winter before'. I wonder if it is the Stevia I have EVERY DAY in my coffee? Ugh. Going to try something else and see if that helps!!

Thanks so much for this knowledge!
Thumbs up to Dottie!! You really do learn something new everyday.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Welcome back Becky! I love erithytol and I would swear it is sugar, but I also use coconut sugar when baking. I bought some of the nectress, but forgot that I have it.

Have used truvia as well.

Thanks Dottie, that is very important info, and will try and remember.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I use liquid splenda for a lot of things, so 2 drops in my tea makes it nice and sweet. I'm ok with splenda packets, and don't find any taste (and not any more than say sweet and low, ick).

maybe you could use truvia, which would be stevia plus erythritol? or that new one based on monk fruit, nectresse? similar to how they make erythritol, but from fruit instead of corn?

interesting about the ragweed Dottie!
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PixieKGirl
Stats: 163/152/136
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 3/26/12
I'm back also and today is my first DD in months.
PixieKGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieKGirl View Post
I'm back also and today is my first DD in months.
I decided to start with an UD today but look forward to the challenge .
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Welcome back Pixie! Great to see you both!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Welcome back, Becky & Pixie.

I use erythritol and xylitol.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Pkgirl- We all return don't we!
I've been back since Nov 26.
DD are much easier for me this time.
I Don't plan to leave ths time.
Concerning sugars- I want the plain ol white granular sugar Cain.
Some days I don't use any sugar, then there r days I can't get those strawberrys covered enough with the sugar. Beats me but mostly i like the salty way!
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
I use EZ-SWEETZ too, I really like it and a tiny, tiny bit goes a long way.
back!!!!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
I bought the mio sized bottle of EZ-Sweet and it tastes closest to sugar to me and no aftertaste. I also use Truvia.
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm beginning to think the only sweetener I actually like in my coffee is Stevia, the Splenda was okay but had a wierd taste to it, sugar just wasn't sweet enough or something, the coffee just tasted strange. This morning I did 1t sugar plus 1 packet of Splenda, still wierd taste. On the plus side my fingers are only a bit numb today, just the fingertips of my middle, ring and pinkie on my left hand, other hand and toes are fine. I'm going to check out saccharine and Nectress.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 226/220/160
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 12/10/14
A Caution about Splenda

I used Splenda packets in my coffee for 10 years (used one packet per cup of coffee, about 3 cups per day). About 2 years ago, I noticed a serious increase in frequency of urination. It got to the point where I would literally go to the bathroom and urinate (alot), then within 2 minutes I would have to go again (my bladder would be full again). This went on for about six months. I knew it couldn't be an infection because there was no burning or difficulty urinating. I just was going constantly! I spent most of my day on the toilet! I considered going to the doctor because I thought for sure something was horribly wrong with my kidneys and/or bladder. I had seen the ads on TV for some medication that helps "frequent urges", and thought I might have that overactive bladder syndrome they spoke of. Anyway, one day I did an internet search for frequent urination and was reading a blog on a website. A woman who had the exact same problem I had was saying that she read somewhere that using Splenda for a prolonged period of time could cause this problem, so she stopped using it and within 3 weeks she was back to normal. So, I thought "jeez, I wonder if this is what is causing my problems". Sure enough, within 3 weeks after I stopped using Splenda, my severely frequent urination was history. I was back to normal. If anyone out there who has used Splenda for a long time starts to experience this sort of thing, it would be a good idea to stop. I don't even know if the use of Splenda could have caused permanent damage to my urinary system or not, but I feel fine now. I have no idea what is in those packets that caused that problem for me, but I have gotten used to drinking my coffee black, and occasionally, I use a sugared creamer in it. It's a good thing that I read about that issue online before I went to my doctor, because I may have been run through all sorts of tests and they never would have found the cause.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 203/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
Have you tried combining real sugar with any of the artificial ones? Kind of splitting tthe difference, and sometimes the sweetness gets a bump. Works with honey, too.
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote