Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/211/180
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart 1-18-14
Welcome back Becky! I only put Torani and Davinci flavored syrups in my coffee and tea, and I think they both use Splenda. I started doing Atkins with JUDDD rotations this month and I think the amount of sweetener I'm using (I'm a coffee freak) is affecting my progress.....so I may even go back to straight JUDDD and use sugar sometimes. I'm going to give it another few weeks and see.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Deer (get it)Huntress
Smile.
wow nice homework!
I'm for natural eating. I'm not extreme on any of it.
But I for sure don't add things in my food that says it has added hok- is- pokis stuff in it.
Words, chemicals that say limits packing, giving life to product. Yikes me.
Seems like last time I read the ingredients a loaf of bread in the grocery store. To me it read, will not rot for 6 months. That just scares me.
Maybe that has changed now.
I eat bread don't get me wrong but not often. Just an example, just saying.
Good job everybody.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 227/213/160 first goal/140 ultimately
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
Deer (get it)Huntress
Smile.
wow nice homework!
I'm for natural eating. I'm not extreme on any of it.
But I for sure don't add things in my food that says it has added hok- is- pokis stuff in it.
Words, chemicals that say limits packing, giving life to product. Yikes me.
Seems like last time I read the ingredients a loaf of bread in the grocery store. To me it read, will not rot for 6 months. That just scares me.
Maybe that has changed now.
I eat bread don't get me wrong but not often. Just an example, just saying.
Good job everybody.
Hey, thanks! I agree with you. I actually started making my own homemade bread and rolls and even english muffins. I don't buy bread in the store anymore. I eat almost all whole foods now, with the occasional bag of Sunchips (which I love). We also raise our own pigs and cows to eat, so I don't buy meat at the store either.
nawthwoodshuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawthwoodshuntress View Post
I used Splenda packets in my coffee for 10 years (used one packet per cup of coffee, about 3 cups per day). About 2 years ago, I noticed a serious increase in frequency of urination. It got to the point where I would literally go to the bathroom and urinate (alot), then within 2 minutes I would have to go again (my bladder would be full again). This went on for about six months. I knew it couldn't be an infection because there was no burning or difficulty urinating. I just was going constantly! I spent most of my day on the toilet! I considered going to the doctor because I thought for sure something was horribly wrong with my kidneys and/or bladder. I had seen the ads on TV for some medication that helps "frequent urges", and thought I might have that overactive bladder syndrome they spoke of. Anyway, one day I did an internet search for frequent urination and was reading a blog on a website. A woman who had the exact same problem I had was saying that she read somewhere that using Splenda for a prolonged period of time could cause this problem, so she stopped using it and within 3 weeks she was back to normal. So, I thought "jeez, I wonder if this is what is causing my problems". Sure enough, within 3 weeks after I stopped using Splenda, my severely frequent urination was history. I was back to normal. If anyone out there who has used Splenda for a long time starts to experience this sort of thing, it would be a good idea to stop. I don't even know if the use of Splenda could have caused permanent damage to my urinary system or not, but I feel fine now. I have no idea what is in those packets that caused that problem for me, but I have gotten used to drinking my coffee black, and occasionally, I use a sugared creamer in it. It's a good thing that I read about that issue online before I went to my doctor, because I may have been run through all sorts of tests and they never would have found the cause.
Due to my hand problem and stuff like this ^ my main goal is to use only cream in my coffee eventually (black is just too much, I envy the black coffee drinker of the world!!). I trust sugar and only sugar (sure it has issues, but everything does) but even that tastes funny since I was so used to Stevia. The Sweet and Low I have in my coffee right now is almost perfect, no aftertaste, not horribly sweet (I used 2 packets), I still want to try Nectress though, just for comparisons sake.
Becky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannysmith View Post
Have you tried combining real sugar with any of the artificial ones? Kind of splitting tthe difference, and sometimes the sweetness gets a bump. Works with honey, too.
There are a lot of prepared sweetners on the grocery shelves around here that already do that for you:

Stevia Cane - is a combination of stevia and sugar cane
Truvia baking blend - combination of erythritol, sugar, stevia

Then there is Truvia - Zero calorie combination of erythritol and stevia (rebiana natural flavors) - seems to have a vanilla note to it, my absolute favorite sweetner for coffee. Downside, it's quite expensive.

These are just a very few on the shelves - so you can see, there are variations and combinations depending on the form and function needed for the job.

I can't cook withe erythritol because of, ahem, 'intestinal distress', but minute amounts in coffee seem to be okay.

Regarding the chemicals in our food - most of them I can decipher - they don't scare me too much because I've done research on them. I'm more concerned about the havoc sugar wreaks on my body. And I do have a monster sweet tooth - am always looking to strike a balance that keeps me off the floor Each person is individual. YMMV

Sometimes I don't come back to read threads that I've posted in, so if I don't respond again in the thread, it's because I didn't see it. Thank you for understanding.
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Interesting about the stevia-ragweed connection as well as the Splenda-bladder one. I do use Splenda...and have some bladder control issues (although not as bad and not as frequent since being on diabetes medication).

I use erythritol occasionally...I like it better than xylitol.
Coconut sugar is also very nice, but not calorie-free.

Monk fruit is the only (nearly) calorie-free natural sweetener besides stevia that I know of (that is not a sugar alcohol). "One half teaspoon of Luo han guo (monkfruit) has the equivalent sweetness of 25 teaspoons of sugar and less than 1 calorie."

Oh--one other thing is inulin. It's a type of fiber that somehow tastes sweet; it's found in many plants such as chicory and Jerusalem artichoke. It gives me terrible stomach cramps & gas, but some people have no reaction to it. It's in the very popular Chocoperfection products. A health food store I used to work at carried a product derived from agave fiber...it's called Viv Agave...10g fiber per tbsp, 0 net carbs.

I just did a quick Google search in case there was anything I was forgetting, and I came across a hint to add a little salt to whatever you want sweetened. It enhances the sweetness and neutralizes acidity, so you may need less sweetener. This may sound odd, but a friend taught me to add a tiny bit* of salt to coffee...it really does make it smooth and less acidic!

*like...1/2 a packet to the grounds when brewing a 10-12 cup pot of coffee.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Welcome back to the girls ive not seen in a long time! So happy that you have returned to us! I my self love Truvia.. and when i am out, i will use real sugar... I am an ADDICT when it comes to coffee, so i try not to micro manage what i put into it
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Gibby
Stats: 349.6/336.4/190
WOE: Whatever works
Start Date: 11/11/13
I have tried all of the sweeteners, but always go back to the little pink packets - Sweet N Low. I don't have any issues with it.
Gibby is online now   Reply With Quote