Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
What are your favorite teas?

I really want to get more into tea. I like green tea, but want ones with great flavors that are fun for DD.

I love the Biggalow Eggnogg'n tea, but that will be hard to find soon.

What are your favorites?
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewSize4Me
Stats: 175.8/165.2/135
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: January 7, 2013
Well, I haven't tried it yet, but Republic of Tea has a Red Velvet Cuppa Chocolate tea that I want to try. Twinings' Oolong tea is a red tea with a nice light flavor that's really good. I love it hot on a cool morning or in the evening. McDonald's iced tea, if it's fresh, has a great flavor and is my current favorite. I love it with sugar on an UD and without on a DD.

Good question. I can't wait to see what others post to get some new tea ideas.
NewSize4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/199/180
I'm a sucker for all kinds of tea--love trying new flavors! I seem to be on a mint tea kick though--it's so soothing and refreshing. I love a good darjeeling tea with HWC and vanilla Torani too.

Yum, that Red Velvet tea sounds fantastic!!
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Hey All!

Newbie here.

I go through phases with teas. I'll absolutely love them for a few months, then can't stand them for a bit. That being said, here are a few I always come back to:

(I add sweetener to ALL of the tea I drink)

Fruity:
Tazo Passionfruit --very good....and purple!
Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger -- kina sweet/tart
CS - Blueberry

Spicy:
CS Bengal Spice -- can get QUITE spicy, especially if you double bag
CS Chai -- their regular chai and also the coconut chai
CS Apple spice -- I like this one with a little almond milk
CS Orange spice

Green Tea:
I find a HUGE difference between brands here. I especially like genmatcha (green tea with toasted rice bits in it). When you add sweetener (but not milk) it tastes a bit like rice crispy cereal! I get my favorite brand in an Asian store and it is awesome, but I have tries other brands that are vile. I usually triple bag it and the matcha (powdered green tea) in the bag makes my mug look iike murky pon water, but it is really good.

I don't care much for the type of green tea served in Chinese restaurants, at least not to drink at home. It's a bit bitter/astringent for me. If you feel the same, you might enjoy the genmatcha...it's much different.

Random teas:
Gypsy tea--the coconut is awesome. I want to try the caramel one, but no local stores carry it and I can't bear to pay for shipping.

Corn tea-I get this at a local Asian grocer, as well. Basically roasted corn. Sounds gross, but with a little added sweetener, sooo good! Like sugar smaps cereal. But I wonder about the calorie count. It's unsweetened (just corn steeped in water), but I can't help but think some carbs are in it. Oh well, probably negligible anyway. Anyone know?

CS Roastaroma -- a bit like coffee. Don't EXPECT coffee, because it isn't, But it's similar in profile and good with milk/sweetener.

Raja's Cup-- again, a little bit like coffee, but this one is much more delicate in flavor

Guayaki Chocolate Mate -- they make other flavors, but this is the only one I like...and I love it!

Whole Foods brand orange/vanilla rooibos

Tazo Awake is good if you like a super strong black tea

I have to admit that I shy away from trying certain teas because even though they say "0 calories" on the label, they contain lots of stuff that does have calories. I just really have to watch my cals.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Hmm Currentl am drinking Bigelows lemon ginger probiotic tea not great tasting but I feel its an easy way to get the health benefit of ginger and probiotics, Dont put sugar in any of my teas, I also like Guayaki organic matte choolatte tea, HEB chai tea,and Celestial Seasonings Mandarian orange tea. Now i only drink hot tea when its cold outside and today it will be near 70 so ice tea from Bill Millers. O I forgot on occassion I like red zinger tea, Interesting and fun topic Carly thanks

Last edited by soon; 01-11-2013 at 07:24 AM..
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I have to say, water temperature does make a difference, as does brewing time. Let the water cool for a minute or two before brewing green or white tea, or you'll pull too much bitterness from it. Also, don't steep longer than maybe 6-7 minutes max.

you can also cold brew tea. I do this for a big pitcher of iced tea. Put in green or black tea, fill with cold water, and let sit (in fridge) for 24-48hrs. All the flavor, none of the bitterness.

That said, you know my new love is Davids tea (google them).

For green, though I like it cold, is mango diablo. Spicy and mango-y, yum.

hot-- cocomint, sleigh ride (which is a cinnamony version of forever nuts-- tastes like apple cobbler or something awesome. good hot or cold, and is pink!)

my favorite green is any jasmine green. love the smell along with the flavor.

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Mine's not very exotic, but I like it!

Peppermint tea (hot & sweetened) - like them all, but current fave is CS's Candy Cane Lane

Twinnings Blackcurrant Breeze - I like this hot & sweetened. Never tried it iced but I'll bet it's good. Might have to try that next spring/summer.

I drink Lipton cold brew iced tea (sweetened) all year 'round. Not as much during winter, of course, but it's still my go-to when I need a glass of something rather than plain water or soda.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
These sound soooo good. I can't wait to get some! Any suggestions on where to buy? Besides online?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Good Earth Original Tea - they repackaged recently and now I think it is called "Sweet & Spicy" Very cinnamon-y and ginger-y and naturally sweet (I think there might be stevia in it but the package doesn't say). Sooo good and comes in decaf, too!!!!
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Tazo "Zen" & "Awake" are good. I usually just stick to loose leaf peppermint. I started drinking it for aid in digestion and now drink it all the time. I've been contemplating trying some honeybush or Yerba Mate.
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I love, love, love Lipton's Vanilla Caramel Truffle . It is so awesome the best ever.

I also really enjoy Lipton's ginger tea. I bought it when I was pregnant and thought it would be good for nausea. It was, but it was also very tasty. Not what I expected at all. I expected real earthy, herbally but it wasn't.

I have the chocolate red velvet tea and have not tried it yet. I should!

I have another Republic of Tea called " coconut cocoa" and that is yummy.

I also have Bigelow's Pumpkin Spice, along with the EggNogg'n. Oh, those are good.

I use Traditional Medicinals "Organic Weightless Cranberry" after a day of eating waaay off plan. The directions are on the box on how to drink it. It works after eating out at a restaurant and you get to feel bloated.

I use Traditional Medicinals "Organic Throat Coat" when I feel a cold coming on. A cold for me usually means I lose my voice, so I try to have this on hand at all times.

I also really love chocolate so I found "Guayaki Yerba Mate" has a "Mate Chocolate" tea and it is fabulous.

I have more in my cabinet, but this is enough for now
Old 01-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
These sound soooo good. I can't wait to get some! Any suggestions on where to buy? Besides online?
I buy my teas at Publix---they have a great selection. Do you have one nearby? I also find that Kroger has a wonderful selection in the natural foods section. I have noticed that Walmart has expanded their teas as well.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Looking for votes for all-time fave GREEN tea. I haven't liked it in the past but am willing to retry for the health benefits. S, I saw your comment on water temp...maybe that was my problem. Will check it out.

Thanks to all for upcoming votes!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you have a whole foods near by, their tea section is great too. Stash has some great flavors, both herbal and with caffeine.

I like a brand calld Four O'Clock (I think) they do a variety of chai flavors, including a rooibos chai and a decaf green tea chai-- LOVE that one!

As for where else to get-- the World Cost plus (?) stores that have popped up all over have a great selection too.

Loose tea is usually preferable to those in bags, and for the ones in bags, the new pyramid shape is better than traditional tea bags-- lets more water flow.

I can't say enough about my love for davids tea, so I'll shut up now

Do try the lower temp water and watch your steep times-- made a world of difference in the taste of my green tea!

S.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't have Publix, Whole Foods or Kroger, lol, but do have Walmart. I imagine Lipton is available almost anywhere. I'm going to check out the vanilla caramel truffle!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #16

Quote:
I don't have Publix, Whole Foods or Kroger, lol, but do have Walmart. I imagine Lipton is available almost anywhere. I'm going to check out the vanilla caramel truffle!!!
My, where do you shop then???? Yes, I do get the Lipton caramel truffle one at Walmart. You won't be sorry with that one.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Bi-Lo and Food Lion are the closest grocery stores to my house and work. We had a Kroger but it went out of business. I WISH we had a Whole Food or Trader Joes! We have the ones I mentioned plus, IGA, Piggly Wiggly, and Harris Teeter. Target and Walmart too.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mod9032
Adagio has great tea....I love the citron green. I don't use tea bags, just loose tea and they have the best I've ever tried. I don't do hot tea(or coffee) so I brew in my Mr Coffee ice tea maker.
mod9032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Still looking for votes for your favorite green tea and where you find it at.....
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Bi-Lo and Food Lion are the closest grocery stores to my house and work. We had a Kroger but it went out of business. I WISH we had a Whole Food or Trader Joes! We have the ones I mentioned plus, IGA, Piggly Wiggly, and Harris Teeter. Target and Walmart too.
Ah. We had a Pig and a Harris Teeter It was very sad to see them go. I loved those stores. We just got in a Whole Foods in the area--about a 30 mins drive from my home. Which is a lot closer than going to Greenville or Charleston for one. I am sure you can find the one you want at Walmart. I did.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
Still looking for votes for your favorite green tea and where you find it at.....
I don't have a favorite brand of green tea. I just get what I can find at the Asian market in my area. They have it for the best price. And big boxes. I used to drink it a lot for the health of it, not quite for the taste. Nowadays, I would rather have coffee
Old 01-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
My favorites? It's a pretty big list. Most are loose-leaf:

Black (full boiling water, steeped 3-4 min)

Twinings: 1706 (no longer available in the US, I order directly from the UK), English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Blackcurrant, Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Prince of Wales

Republic of Tea: Coconut Pu-erh (leaves can be re-steeped several times), Lapsang Souchong, Earl Greyer, Rose Petal Black, Ginger Peach, Raspberry Quince, Blackberry Sage, Almond Vanilla, Assam Breakfast, British Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Anna Karenina (rose petal + lapsang), Golden Yunnan, Keemun 1110 (can re-steep), Lychee Black (can re-steep), Tea of Good Tidings (holiday spices), Republic Chai, Wild Blueberry, Cinnamon Plum

Mariage Frères: Marco Polo (tastes like strawberries and cream), Éros (floral, almost like cotton candy), Wedding Imperial (chocolate/caramel)

Bigelow: Constant Comment, Earl Grey

Taylors of Harrogate: Scottish Breakfast

Green (I only use water that has yet to come to a boil, and I only steep for 1 or 2 minutes max for first infusion)

Sugimoto America: Genmaicha (green tea with toasted brown rice and matcha powder), never sweetened, can re-steep leaves several times

White (Also using almost-boiling water, steep time 30-60 seconds max)

Republic of Tea: Orange Blossom

Herbal

Celestial Seasonings: Peppermint

Republic of Tea: Hibiscus (strawberry, pineapple/lychee, blueberry), Cardamom Cinnamon, Hot Apple Cider (weak, needs 2 bags or extra steeping time), Coconut Cocoa (also weak, needs 2 bags per cup)

Pretty sure I forgot a few.

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
--Lily Tomlin

The Quest: Toward Spark-Free Thighs!!

The Blog

Last edited by Rayne_W; 01-11-2013 at 01:28 PM..
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I seem to remember shopping at a Harris Teeter and it was good!

At Target, they have some good teas in their tea section-- they have a double bergamot (lady grey type) tea that I like. I think they carry some Stash tea, and the Tazo as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #24

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I've been having the Tazo Awake lately (trying to cut back on coffee a little bit, though I won't give up my tea!).

There's a little tea shop not too far from my house that I've ridden my scooter to a couple of times. It's run by an Asian guy who is soooo helpful. He has such an amazing selection that I get overwhelmed. I want to try them all. So far I've only gotten a loose leaf lavendar Earl Grey. It's really good. There's a kid's tea called Tutti Fruiti I'm contemplating getting for Keira.

I'd like to try some of the spicier teas too.

I tried Yerba Mate and didn't really care for it too much. It smells like gym socks to me.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I am going to print out this series of posts and make a list of teas that I want to try.

There is free tea (and free coffee) at my workplace, so I've been drinking regular green tea and lemon green tea there, along with classic black teas like English breakfast, Irish breakfast, Earl Gray, and Lady Gray.

I drink so much fluid on my down days that I should be able to try out lots of new teas over the next year. Thanks for starting this thread and sharing ideas, everyone.

Now I'm going to go make some Pomegranate Green Tea from Republic of Tea, which is sitting on the shelf in my work cubicle.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Wow- I don't know where to begin...
But the Red Velvet one sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks for all the responses! I didn't realize that the water temp and steeping time effected the outcome that dramatically. I will be more aware.

I also get my green tea from the Aisan Market most of the time. I drink green tea iced a lot in the warmer weather.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Wow- I don't know where to begin...
But the Red Velvet one sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks for all the responses! I didn't realize that the water temp and steeping time effected the outcome that dramatically. I will be more aware.

I also get my green tea from the Aisan Market most of the time. I drink green tea iced a lot in the warmer weather.
Just a heads up that Republic of Tea offers a 'cuppa chocolate' sampler with 5 different chocolate/herbal teas to try. The coconut cocoa has a different base ingredient than the red velvet, but these do tend to need extra steeping time to get a deep enough flavor (based on some of the reviews).

Also, many tea companies offer small samples or variety packs of different teas, which can be a good thing. I ordered a bunch of samples and found a few I did not care for at all. Very glad I didn't buy a large size to begin with.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
How could I forget CS English Toffee?! Add some sweetener and creamer and it is like a decadent dessert.

Keirasmom-I don't like plain mate either. But Guayaki makes flavored versions, and the Chai and Chocolate one are quite good. I do not, however, like the orange or mint ones. they just seem....weird...to me.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I've been stuck on chai tea for quite awhile. I like Bigelow's vanilla chai. Then at Christmas I discovered Teavna's blend of Maharaja Chai Oolong & Samurai Chai Mate. It's really good. But expensive! My first time at the store I thought the sign said $12 per pound and it was $12 for TWO ounces! And I had already asked for half a pound. LOL

I still love Irish Breakfast and English Breakfast Tea.....but only if I can add some real sugar.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I used to drink tea all the time but have not bought it in a while. I will look at the store next time I'm shopping! Thanks for all the suggestions!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote