Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
mmm I love tea! Thank you Soren for introducing me to David's teas a few months ago.

Right now I absolutely love cocomint cream, red velvet cake and ice cream cake. yummm!! I just add some light cream and sweetener and literally saves my sweet tooth!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Oh Yay! WTG TJ and Angie!

Rayne, I'm with you-- I finally learned to order the smaller bag whenever possible, b/c while it's all *fine* it's not all *** WINNERS*** ya know?

I do love the cocomint. And just discovered-- while I don't ususally brew my tea leaves more than 1x (due to above mentioned bitterness etc that I worry about), I had some cocomint creme with DH last night, and when we were done, I put in enough water for 1 more cup (with the dregs from 2 servings) and let it sit overnight.

It came out fine this morning-- I just nuked it and had an extra bonus cup of tea

granted, it was all herbal (mint, coconut, apples-- sounds weird, tastes A-mazing) so I was more concerned about getting all the flavor rather than any bitterness, but, maybe, I'll start being a bit more frugal with my tea sometimes.

Glad everyone is enjoying a resurgence in fine tea, no matter what company you get it from!

but ya, it'd be nice if I got a little kickback, eh?
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #63
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
chicory dickory dock
this herbal blend's not schlock
when nice and hot
it helps me a lot
and I can still sleep like a rock

Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deen73
Stats: 252/216/199
WOE: HCG rx injections
Start Date: JUDDD restart: April 9, 2013
Oooooh, oooooh, if nobody's mentioned "Good Earth" yet, then that is my reccomendation. They make a bunch of different flavors and greens, but the one you want is simply called "Original" (original decaf, is also available, if you are so inclined). It should say "sweet and spicy" on the package. The thing that is so unique about this tea, is that it tastes quite sweet right from the bag -- almost like you've added two packets of sugar. But there IS no sugar -- it's zero calorie and zero carb. I have yet to solve this mystery -- I swear, if they packaged whatever sweetens this stuff, I would buy it and sweeten everything with it. It's sweet and spicy and yummy. I had half and half or heavy whipping cream -- or 2% milk on DD's. Let me know if you try it -- this was a great thread, Carly -- I want to get some of the David's now!!!

Oh, and I get mine at Target -- Publix used to carry Good Earth, but they never had the Original for whatever reason. :/
Deen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Great, so I haven't been able to have any of my old beloved hot tea in years. YEARS! (gives me horrible heartburn) I figured I can drink hot cocoa again (used to give me heartburn, too) so I'd try a hot cup of tea since it's DD and I'm super cold.

Yea, out of ALL the teas in my cabinet, they're all expired! LOLOL! Doesn't that just figure? Guess I'll have to take note of all these recommendations and buy a few to try.

Do the chocolate ones really taste good? I used to just be an earl grey, english breakfast, sleepytime tea kind of girl.

Flutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #66
Big Yapper!!!!

I just placed my order with David's.
I got red velvet
Toasted Marshmellow
Birthday cake
and something sinfully chocolate- this has to have calories- I didn't see it on the webpage- but it has to!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I just placed my order with David's.
I got red velvet
Toasted Marshmellow
Birthday cake
and something sinfully chocolate- this has to have calories- I didn't see it on the webpage- but it has to!
I thought this as well!! But on the FAQ of the website : it says..

Are there any calories in your tea?
With all the fun sprinkles, candies and caramel bits that find their way into some of our teas, some sceptics wonder whether these blends are still a healthy beverage choice. The truth is that we routinely test the blends that contain sugary ingredients for their sugar and caloric content. So far, the caloric content in the liquor of these teas is below the limit that must be declared on food labels. They are not all at zero, but none are more than 5 calories per cup of tea.

And what about public enemy number one – sugar? Not to worry, our teas have all tested below 1 g of sugar per cup of tea (according to our steeping instructions).

woohoo!

Last edited by angie1; 01-15-2013 at 07:27 PM..
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #68
Big Yapper!!!!

Oh! That's awesome!!!^^^^^^^^^
For Christmas some one gave me Cheery Cherry from Teavanna- I'm drinking it now and it is mmmmm.... good!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was about to say, I don't count the tea for calories myself (ymmv). I find mixed luck with chocolate flavor-- better with Davids than I've had with Republic of Tea (blood orange chocolate and strawberry chocolate-- wound up giving both away).

I'm having the chocolate rocket right now (it's a mate (should be an accent on that last e), with raspberry).
Read My Lips has actual chocolate chips in it, and minty flavor... and red lips that expand (but don't seem to melt)...
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Mean......you guys are just mean........

Quote:
chicory dickory dock
this herbal blend's not schlock
when nice and hot
it helps me a lot
and I can still sleep like a rock

Okay, so I'm drinking my vanilla caramel tea earlier and it's that "tea" flavor that I don't like. Iced tea, no problem. But it's the hot tea that I don't like. I'm still going to try a chai tea and maybe that'll taste better to me.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nilla-- if it's "tea" you don't like, and you do like iced tea, then maybe you're over-steeping your tea? How long do you let it sit with the bag or leaves in?

Chai is spicy and flavorful, but still essentially "tea" b/c it's usually made with black tea as the base.

Look for green chai tea, or rooibos chai tea, or white chai tea. Green and white are the same tea plant as black, but they are not oxidized. White is like green, but much younger leaves are picked, so the flavor is very very mild.

rooibos isn't even tea, it's an herbal shrub from south africa, with a sweet taste and a red tinge (I think the name means red bush or something).
Numi makes a tea that I know of called honeybush, from a similar plant.

Why do I feel like getting you a tea you like is a personal challenge?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Nilla-- if it's "tea" you don't like, and you do like iced tea, then maybe you're over-steeping your tea? How long do you let it sit with the bag or leaves in?

Chai is spicy and flavorful, but still essentially "tea" b/c it's usually made with black tea as the base.

Look for green chai tea, or rooibos chai tea, or white chai tea. Green and white are the same tea plant as black, but they are not oxidized. White is like green, but much younger leaves are picked, so the flavor is very very mild.

rooibos isn't even tea, it's an herbal shrub from south africa, with a sweet taste and a red tinge (I think the name means red bush or something).

because you like tea and want me to, too!!!! We were in a different store last night other than Walmart (the sky almost fell) and I picked up some Chocolate Hazelnut Tea (decaf) by Stash. Tomorrow is a DD and I'll try out this new tea.

I don't know how long I let it steep - few minutes but not sure exactly how long. I know the directions say 2-4 minutes but I think I have it in my head that longer is better. Now I not that's not so! Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out for the white chai and/or rooibos.

Thank you Tea Lady!!!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #73
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
vanilla--I have that tea and it is really good!! I give it a few thumbs up
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
I just picked up republic of tea's coconut cocoa, and it is divine!
Would love a touch of cream or almond milk on it, but I am doing a potato fast and don't want any fat.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
I just picked up republic of tea's coconut cocoa, and it is divine!
Would love a touch of cream or almond milk on it, but I am doing a potato fast and don't want any fat.
Fat-free half-n-half is my go-to addition to tea whenever milk just isn't enough.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #76
Big Yapper!!!!

I can't wait for my tea to get here!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_W View Post
Yesterday I 'accidentally' ordered (<- what I always jokingly tell my DH when the urge to buy tea overwhelms me ) two new teas from Andrews & Dunham Da*n Fine Tea: Carävan Resurrected (a smoky tea like lapsang souchong) and Tiger Assam (assam is a malty, strong component of most breakfast teas). Pricey, but they got good reviews on a tea aficionado site I frequent.

Always a nail-biter when I order new tea that isn't available in sampler sizes. Hope they're good!
I'm guessing the reviewers over at Steepster either a) had a wildly different batch or b) have a very different idea of how a smoky tea should taste. They were saying how incredibly, overwhelmingly smoky it was...wow, I'm sorry, I could barely taste it at all.

Very disappointed.

I'll try the Tiger Assam tomorrow. :: fingers crossed ::
Old 01-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alison
Stats: -169.5-/-157.5-/-98-
Start Date: 01/11/2013
I have probably ~80-90 types of tea in my kitchen, we actually went to Ikea to buy a tea organizer (bookshelf!) For my collection, and it's still not enough. I have much of it in individual packets and canisters.

For my favorites, hands down I would say:

Dessert Teas
-------------
- Guayakí Yerba Mate "Mate Chocolatté" - has to be steeped for a very long time, but when mixed with cream/sugar (or a couple French Vanilla Coffeemates) it's so so so good!!
- Eastern Shore Tea Co. "Chocolate Strawberry" - this is just... wow.
-Lipton "Vanilla Caramel Truffle" - splash of cream, a sprinkle of sugar, and it's dessert in a cup.
-Eastern Shore Tea Co. "Starry Night" - Don't oversteep this, blend of Chocolate truffle, hazelnut & toffee. Mmm!

Spicy
------
- Clipper "Organic Indian Chai" - best chai in a bag, ever.
- Celestial Seasonings "Sweet Coconut Thai" - it's a chai, but sweet! Definitely a coconut flavor, and decaf!
- Teavana "Samurai Chai Mate" mixed with "White Avurvedic Chai" - spicy and magical.
- Republic of Tea "Daily Green Tea Pineapple Ginger" - fruity and spicy (from the ginger) - tasty!
-Yogi "Egyptian Licorice" - I happen to be a huge fan of black licorice, this does it for me, and it's already sweet. Bonus!
-Yogi "Sweet Thai Delight" - another sweet Yogi tea. Loooove it.
-Twinings "Organic Chai" - love this on a fall day with honey and just a smidge of cream.
-Twinings "French Vanilla Chai" - prepare as above, bliss!
-Eastern Shore Tea Co. "Pumpkin Spice" - basically pumpkin pie and chai, mixed together.

Fruity & Herbal
---------------
-Eastern Shore Tea Co. "Key Lima Colada" - so fruity and tropical, but a black tea base.
-Revolution "Tropical Green Tea" - refreshing! Don't let it steep longer than 2 min though, gets bitter.
-Celestial Seasonings "Antioxidant Max" it's a dragon fruit melon tea, delish!
-Tazo "Passion" very very fruity and colorful. Excellent iced!
-Numi - Organic "Simply Mint" needs nothing. It's amazing as is.
-Zhena's Gypsy Tea "Red Lavender" I love love love lavender!! Especially in a tea.

White
------
-Tazo "Cucumber White" needs nothing in it, it's so delicate and soft already.
-Republic of Tea "White Tea" in the following flavors:
--- Asian Jasmine
--- Honeysuckle
--- Vanilla Coconut

You can have them as is (steep gently) or add a little honey and cream, it's perfect for a chilly winter day with some slippers on (:

I've been using tea bags as infusions for these fingerless gloves I've been knitting up. I've made some "Apple Picking" armwarmers with thumbholes and tucked a Celestial Seasonings "Cinnamon Apple Spice" teabag in each one, and currently I'm knitting up a variegated set in greens/white and putting an Eastern Shore Tea Co. "Key Lima Colada" bag in each.
Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
vanilla--I have that tea and it is really good!! I give it a few thumbs up
I'm just not feeling it. It tasted like very weak hazelnut coffee to me, no chocolate taste at all (to me). I even put a teaspoon of cream in it, but I couldn't wait to get it all down the hatch and over with.

I had started to buy the Lipton Vanilla Caramel Truffle because I'd really like a "dessert" tea, but since I already have the Bigelow Vanilla Caramel it might be the same stuff.

Ack .. I SO want to like hot tea but I think I just don't. I'll still try one of the chai teas, though.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I'm just not feeling it. It tasted like very weak hazelnut coffee to me, no chocolate taste at all (to me). I even put a teaspoon of cream in it, but I couldn't wait to get it all down the hatch and over with.

I had started to buy the Lipton Vanilla Caramel Truffle because I'd really like a "dessert" tea, but since I already have the Bigelow Vanilla Caramel it might be the same stuff.

Ack .. I SO want to like hot tea but I think I just don't. I'll still try one of the chai teas, though.
Your case is quite intriguing.

What is it about iced tea that you do like? The amount of sweetener, or other flavorings (lemon, peach, etc)? Iced tea is usually much more dilute than a standard cup of hot tea, so that may be a part of it.

The method of preparing tea can absolutely make all the difference in the final product. A lot of people try to oversteep tea, thinking it will be stronger. Nuh uh. Longer steeping = Bitterness. If it's not strong enough, use more tea. Not using full boiling water with black tea = Bitterness. Squeezing the bag or leaving the leaves/bag in the tea = bitterness. And finally, not enough dairy (milk, half-n-half, cream) along with sweetener can also add to a bitter tea (if the tea is dark enough to add dairy to it).

Flavored teas are tricky, too. Some are so weak on flavorings (or heavily use artificial flavors) they're not worth the effort.

Last but not least, the type of black tea (keemun, assam, ceylon, darjeeling, etc) has a lot to do with flavor and tannins/bitterness. Some can steep for 5 min and will have zero bitterness and feel velvety on the tongue. Others (especially lower grades/varieties of tea found in tea bags) either need very short steeping times or heavy masking with sweetener and dairy to be remotely palatable.

Or, you may simply need to ignore all of us TeaHeads and invest in an espresso maker.

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
--Lily Tomlin

The Quest: Toward Spark-Free Thighs!!

The Blog

Last edited by Rayne_W; 01-18-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #82
Big Yapper!!!!

Still waiting for my tea!!!!
I would be so happy if it comes tonight- our UPS guy comes between 6pm-9pm.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_W View Post
I'll try the Tiger Assam tomorrow. :: fingers crossed ::
Tiger Assam FTW!

I splurged for my first mug of tea this morning and added honey and HWC to the assam. O.M.G. It was heavenly. Burnt my tongue drinking it, because I couldn't bear to wait for it to cool down. Most assams are pretty malty, which I like, this one was subtle and tasted...hmm...a little like figs. (wish I had a refined palate right about now)

Next month, I may have to try a few more:

American Tea Room: Brioche Organic (black)

Butiki: Almond Indulgence, Taiwanese Assam, Raspberry Purple tea

Red Leaf Tea: Crazy-sounding matcha flavors -- and no, I've never made matcha before, but I'm willing to try (Caramel, Tiramisu, Mocha, Peppermint, Belgium Chocolate, Cheesecake, Bavarian Cream, Mangosteen, Maple Syrup , Peanut Butter Pie, White Chocolate)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #84
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I just ordered a couple of samplers of tea from David's Tea, and I'm looking forward to trying them out. Thanks for inspiring me to order them. My workplace has one of those fancy Cuisinart electric kettles with different temperature settings for different kinds of tea.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Rayne-

I checked out those matcha flavors.....wowza! I'd like to order some, but I wonder about the "natural flavors" in them......methinks they may be calorific, even though tea usually isn't supposed to be.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #86
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:

From what I learned there, honeybush is a different plant, but a really good tea. I avoid it because it is used there to increase appetite, and I already have enough. But it is a really yummy tea.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
....... honeybush . I avoid it because it is used there to increase appetite, and I already have enough. But it is a really yummy tea.
That is super interesting!
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Rayne-

I checked out those matcha flavors.....wowza! I'd like to order some, but I wonder about the "natural flavors" in them......methinks they may be calorific, even though tea usually isn't supposed to be.
I wondered about that, too. Even though they say there are no sweeteners added to them, I'm very tempted to ask them for specifics. Also, each one can be ordered at different flavoring strengths, from 'delicate' to 'there's matcha in there?'

Next payday, I believe I'll be investing in a matcha whisk, a matcha bowl, and a few matcha flavors.

I just sent them a note on their contact form, asking if they know the calorie counts on the matcha blends. I'll report back if I hear from them.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #89
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
adagio also has some awesome teas
Vanilla: odd as it seems, tastebuds can be tuned out to certain flavors. Kind of like your hearing where you can hear a particular pitch but someone else can't. Or smell where you can smell an odor or perfume but someone else can't.
I read a study on that a few years back and there was a pretty good argument that peoples taste buds vary a lot in the subtleties of that they can "interpret" (for lack of a better word).
I'll see if I can google it and find the study because it was very interesting.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #90
Big Yapper!!!!

Maybe my tea will come tomorrow!!! I'm not use to waiting this long!!!