Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!
 
stephdray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,170
Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Wow- I don't know where to begin...
But the Red Velvet one sounds like a good place to start.

Thanks for all the responses! I didn't realize that the water temp and steeping time effected the outcome that dramatically. I will be more aware.
I had no idea about this either but my husband and I just got a Cuisinart electric kettle and it has all these settings for different teas! For some reason, I always seem to opt for the boiling setting for black tea because I like my tea hot, but maybe I can convince myself that it'll still be pleasantly warm on the herbal setting...
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
C'Marie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,142
Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Wow, this is really interesting! I haven't ventured very far afield in tea-land because I've been busy with red wines and coffees but I'm taking notes! My favorite is CS orange spice and sugar cookie sleighride.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Carly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 7,450
Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Sugar Cookie Sliegh Ride sounds good!
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member
 
Rayne_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western WA>>Eastern Indiana
Posts: 804
Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I had no idea about this either but my husband and I just got a Cuisinart electric kettle and it has all these settings for different teas! For some reason, I always seem to opt for the boiling setting for black tea because I like my tea hot, but maybe I can convince myself that it'll still be pleasantly warm on the herbal setting...
Your initial instincts were correct -- black teas, by and large, do require fully boiling water. If memory serves, only some of the darjeelings (first flush) and long-fermented pu-erh teas do best at temps below boiling.

Greens and whites are not fully oxidized and are therefore a bit more delicate. Water temps just below boiling (guesstimating around 180-190F) will prevent them from becoming bitter...as will much shorter steeping times than their black counterparts.

Two other points I wanted to stress regarding tea: don't squeeze the bags, and please don't leave the bags/leaves in the tea once the steep time is reached. For years I did both and wondered why my tea was so bitter.
__________________


I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
--Lily Tomlin

The Quest: Toward Spark-Free Thighs!!

The Blog
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,941
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I've decided NOTHING beats coffee.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,536
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Steph-- the different temperatures make ALL the difference. Also, my tea now says use X temperature and steep for Y minutes. I follow that, add some sweetener, and I'm really enjoying all the different teas now
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #37
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Kissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 18,852
Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
English Breakfast. LOL.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,941
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I like mine either very hot or iced. It wouldn't matter to me if the taste was spectacular at warm because I just don't like luke-warm drinks.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,536
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I think once you brew it and remove the leaves, you can heat it up in the microwave.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Junior LCF Member
 
Lilybell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesnowda
Posts: 48
Gallery: Lilybell
Stats: 192/181/150
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 2, 2013
I have just found Stash tea..Chai is my favorite, a little cream and some stevia....So yummy! I also like Tradional Medicines tea. I swear the echinacea tea has helped my body fight off colds that I felt coming on twice already this winter. I can't wait to try some of the ones I have learned about from this thread!
Lilybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!
 
dawnyama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 24,942
Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I've decided NOTHING beats coffee.
I second that. I just have to have my 3 cups of coffee a day. I work for Starbucks......what can I say

Oh, I know they have teas there, but I am a big coffee person
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member
 
Rayne_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western WA>>Eastern Indiana
Posts: 804
Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
I really, really love coffee. Until about 3 years ago, I was drinking it all day (about 5 cups)...but now, even one cup usually results in fits of severe abdominal pain. My IBS just can't take it anymore. I'll still drink it maybe once a month or so, but I know I'll be paying for it.

Tea may not have quite as much caffeine as coffee, but it certainly is better for my stomach.

Which reminds me...has anyone ever drank Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder tea? It's herbal (maté) but does contain some caffeine. I used to drink it about 20 yrs ago.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,536
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Rayne-- I don't use the CS mate, but I have a few flavors of it from Davids Tea.

I have a chocolate raspberry almond called Chocolate Rocket, and mexican chocolate one called Cocoa Canella, and a citrus fruity one called Main Squeeze.

I find that they don't affect me like caffeine at ALL (and I have another caffeine-sensitive friend who concurs with me on this, for herself). I get some mental clarity, without the heart palpitations, jitters, and running-off-at-the-mouth.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Becky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 3,160
Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
I started a thread identical to this one (great minds!!) on the 8th or 9th on the main board, tons of great teas listed! Incase you want to take a peek.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member
 
Rayne_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western WA>>Eastern Indiana
Posts: 804
Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I started a thread identical to this one (great minds!!) on the 8th or 9th on the main board, tons of great teas listed! Incase you want to take a peek.
I need to check out that thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Rayne-- I don't use the CS mate, but I have a few flavors of it from Davids Tea.
I have yet to try David's (it's on my very long 'gotta try' list ), but the marshmallow tea you mentioned in another thread sounds yummy!

For anyone who wants to reduce the caffeine in black tea naturally, steep the tea at the correct temp for 20 seconds, remove the bag/leaves without squeezing the bag, dump out the tea, then resteep with new water also at the correct temp, for the normal amount of time. It reduces the majority of the caffeine.

Last edited by Rayne_W; 01-14-2013 at 10:07 AM..
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!
 
vanilla_latte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my happy place!
Posts: 2,331
Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I've decided NOTHING beats coffee.
Especially with a quart of cream in it.

I WANT to like tea and I do drink them sometimes on a DD or when it's cold out. Like today!! I've got the Bigelow Vanilla Caramel and Celestial Sugar Plum Spice. The VC is okay, but the SPS just isn't ... wait for it ... my cup of tea.

I'm intrigued by the chocolate teas mentioned because I adore chocolate. Tea has such a distinctive flavor and I really would love something that is right up there with creamy coffee as far as texture. Any suggestions that fit that bill and also that I could get at Walmart?

Aren't chai teas supposed to be a bit creamy or full bodied? Yeah, that's what I'm looking for ... full body tasting!

As for green teas, my favorite is Lipton Mixed Berry (cold, though).
__________________
-vanilla

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member
 
Rayne_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western WA>>Eastern Indiana
Posts: 804
Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
I googled 'chocolate tea walmart', but the three suggestions that came up are ones I've never tried before, and one is a decaf.

Not sure if any tea will take as much cream as a regular cup of coffee can, but my own rule of thumb is: the darker/stronger the tea, the more likely it will hold up to milk/cream/half-n-half. That said, there are quite a few in my arsenal that are super strong (and bitter), where adding cream is a necessity to combat the tannins/bitterness. They're also very caffeinated. I also have several that I use as 'dessert' teas, that hold up very well to cream and feel indulgent. One contains chocolate, but it's neither found at Walmart nor is it budget-friendly. The other one, from Republic of Tea, is herbal, so no caffeine (the chocolate coconut), but it usually needs 2 bags per cup to really taste great. No idea if Walmart carries that brand or not.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #48
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,350
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I recently tried Yogi Honey Lavender stress tea and it's very relaxing and very tasty!
Ingredients are:
Rooibos Leaf (Redbush)
Chamomile Flower
Lemon Balm Leaf
Spearmint Leaf
Lemongrass
Lavender Flower
Peppermint Leaf
Lemon Myrtle
Sage
Passion Flower Extract
Natural Flavors
Stevia Leaf

I also use Wisdom of the Ancients Camomile with Lavender and it works and tastes good, too
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,536
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Vanilla-- I can say with 100% certainty (certain-tea! ) that the Chicory Dickory Dock from Davids Tea gives that coffee body that you are looking for. It's not chocolaty, but has a nice almond vanilla taste, not overwhelming though. I thought it might be bitter, but it's not. You can add it to coffee or have it on it's own, and while I drink it "black" with sweentener, it would go well with milk or cream.

Traditionally, chai tea is "brewed" in hot milk (and sweetened with honey or sugar, which adds to texture also), so for sure that gives it a richer flavor and texture. I got used to it without, being LC for such a long time. Sometimes I add a splash of cream or whatever, but I like it plain as well. But plain, it's still the same watery texture as tea.

So, for texture close to coffee (before milk/cream) i'll say, check out chicory.
__________________
--Soren
New Blog post: Sweet Potato Souffle and Calamity Story http://justforkit.blogspot.com/2013/...-calamity.html

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,668
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Darn you, Soren! I've been going around all morning humming "Hickory Dickory Dock". Finally realized what I was doing and suddenly realized why. You and your Chickory Dickory Dock!

Really glad you're beginning to feel better. That was a doozy of a cold/flu!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,941
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Especially with a quart of cream in it.

I WANT to like tea and I do drink them sometimes on a DD or when it's cold out. Like today!! I've got the Bigelow Vanilla Caramel and Celestial Sugar Plum Spice. The VC is okay, but the SPS just isn't ... wait for it ... my cup of tea.

I'm intrigued by the chocolate teas mentioned because I adore chocolate. Tea has such a distinctive flavor and I really would love something that is right up there with creamy coffee as far as texture. Any suggestions that fit that bill and also that I could get at Walmart?

Aren't chai teas supposed to be a bit creamy or full bodied? Yeah, that's what I'm looking for ... full body tasting!

As for green teas, my favorite is Lipton Mixed Berry (cold, though).
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,536
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Darn you, Soren! I've been going around all morning humming "Hickory Dickory Dock". Finally realized what I was doing and suddenly realized why. You and your Chickory Dickory Dock!

Really glad you're beginning to feel better. That was a doozy of a cold/flu!
Tee Hee! one annoying-song-planted, 10000 to go!

yep, this sucker's a doozy, I tell you what! DO NOT CATCH THIS virus!
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!
 
vanilla_latte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my happy place!
Posts: 2,331
Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_W View Post
I googled 'chocolate tea walmart', but the three suggestions that came up are ones I've never tried before, and one is a decaf.

Not sure if any tea will take as much cream as a regular cup of coffee can, but my own rule of thumb is: the darker/stronger the tea, the more likely it will hold up to milk/cream/half-n-half. That said, there are quite a few in my arsenal that are super strong (and bitter), where adding cream is a necessity to combat the tannins/bitterness. They're also very caffeinated. I also have several that I use as 'dessert' teas, that hold up very well to cream and feel indulgent. One contains chocolate, but it's neither found at Walmart nor is it budget-friendly. The other one, from Republic of Tea, is herbal, so no caffeine (the chocolate coconut), but it usually needs 2 bags per cup to really taste great. No idea if Walmart carries that brand or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Vanilla-- I can say with 100% certainty (certain-tea! ) that the Chicory Dickory Dock from Davids Tea gives that coffee body that you are looking for. It's not chocolaty, but has a nice almond vanilla taste, not overwhelming though. I thought it might be bitter, but it's not. You can add it to coffee or have it on it's own, and while I drink it "black" with sweentener, it would go well with milk or cream.

Traditionally, chai tea is "brewed" in hot milk (and sweetened with honey or sugar, which adds to texture also), so for sure that gives it a richer flavor and texture. I got used to it without, being LC for such a long time. Sometimes I add a splash of cream or whatever, but I like it plain as well. But plain, it's still the same watery texture as tea.

So, for texture close to coffee (before milk/cream) i'll say, check out chicory.
Thanks for the info, ladies!! I'll be checking these suggestions out.

Hicory Dickory Dock .. the mouse ran up the clock ...
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member
 
Luv2Eat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 727
Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
The clock struck One, and down he Run, Hickory Dickory Dock
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,668
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Hicory Dickory Dock .. the mouse ran up the clock ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Eat View Post
The clock struck One, and down he Run, Hickory Dickory Dock
Mean......you guys are just mean........

LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sorenkkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mississauga, ON
Posts: 4,536
Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
chicory dickory dock
this herbal blend's not schlock
when nice and hot
it helps me a lot
and I can still sleep like a rock

sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member
 
Luv2Eat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 727
Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!
 
TryingJudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,740
Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Just got an email that my David's tea order is on the way. Can't wait!!! Soren you should get a commission - or at least some free tea! I ordered all kinds of desert-y, decadent teas that I can't wait to try.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 440
Gallery: tofucheez
Not tea, exactly, but good...

Teeccino. You brew it like coffee, and the flavor is quite nice. It does have a few more cals than coffee, but is made with good stuff. Several flavors, as well, and all natural.
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member
 
Rayne_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Western WA>>Eastern Indiana
Posts: 804
Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Yesterday I 'accidentally' ordered (<- what I always jokingly tell my DH when the urge to buy tea overwhelms me ) two new teas from Andrews & Dunham Da*n Fine Tea: Carävan Resurrected (a smoky tea like lapsang souchong) and Tiger Assam (assam is a malty, strong component of most breakfast teas). Pricey, but they got good reviews on a tea aficionado site I frequent.

Always a nail-biter when I order new tea that isn't available in sampler sizes. Hope they're good!
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.