Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Is anyone following different percentages, other than the 20%?

I didn't know how to word the title I've been on the JUDDD website playing around with the calculator. Up to now I've been following the 20% loss calorie allotments, but I'm feeling like I need to take a bit of a breather from that and I'm leaning towards shifting to the 35% weight loss calorie allotments. I'm wondering if anyone else does one of the other percentages (for those who are still losing weight). If so, have you found the higher calorie allotments stall your weight loss? Or are you still losing some? It looks like the UD calories stay the same, but the DD's change a bit.

I've been losing around 2lbs a week but now that I'm in the 10lb range, I'm ok with slowing down for a bit, just so I can take a 'break'. I'd still like to lose something though every week (maybe .5?). Just wondering what the different percentages/calorie allotments do as far as weight loss/stalling goes
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I am probably not an apples for apples example. Older, slower, etc. but I stalled about two months in on the lower calories, had some health issues due to poor nutritional choices on UDs and back completely off JUDDD. Now have gone LC/HF/Mod protein and restarted rotations at 700 cals and am backing down 100 cal/wk. In spite of still not having perfect DDs I have restarted weight loss and am feeling good. I think part of the reason is at my calorie allowance I can still get 1000 diff between DD and UD, which seems to be important.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I am probably not an apples for apples example. Older, slower, etc. but I stalled about two months in on the lower calories, had some health issues due to poor nutritional choices on UDs and back completely off JUDDD. Now have gone LC/HF/Mod protein and restarted rotations at 700 cals and am backing down 100 cal/wk. In spite of still not having perfect DDs I have restarted weight loss and am feeling good. I think part of the reason is at my calorie allowance I can still get 1000 diff between DD and UD, which seems to be important.
Thanks for the input! I'm totally ok with my weight loss slowing down, but I've got the mental fear of stalling/starting to gain again, which really is silly because my DDs would still be pretty low. I haven't heard of the 1,000 calorie difference being important-good to know!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I'm finding it hard to get back into the swing after Christmas so I've raised my percentage and I'm just going to whittle it back down.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: marlamp10
Stats: 251/224.2/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD REstart 05/09/14 at 232.5
My percentage depends on how I am feeling on a given DD. Most days I stay at around 20%. Other days I may be feeling low energy or have an unavoidable social dinner or business meal, and I will go as high as 40%. I figure if all of those percentages are there, I'm going to use them when needed.
marlamp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post
My percentage depends on how I am feeling on a given DD. Most days I stay at around 20%. Other days I may be feeling low energy or have an unavoidable social dinner or business meal, and I will go as high as 40%. I figure if all of those percentages are there, I'm going to use them when needed.
That's a good idea! I've had the mindset that my DD calories are set in stone, but then after looking at the calculator I just realized there is some wiggle room I'm going to try out the 35% weight loss mode calorie allotments for a few days and see what happens!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlamp10 View Post

Someone several months ago recommended to write down your DD cals at 20%, 25%, 30%, and 35% (UD cals stay the same, of course) and keep them handy. I keep mine in the notes of my iPhone. Whether you're wanting to take a long breather or just have more challenging DDs but want to stay in DD mode, those figures will help you still feel in control if you end up having a little bit higher DD than planned.

On the other hand, it may help to up the percentage for awhile to get things moving again. Or like casmira said, move up a bit, then work back down.

Sure will be glad when I've lost 500 lbs. so I can sound like a true voice of experience.

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post

Someone several months ago recommended to write down your DD cals at 20%, 25%, 30%, and 35% (UD cals stay the same, of course) and keep them handy. I keep mine in the notes of my iPhone. Whether you're wanting to take a long breather or just have more challenging DDs but want to stay in DD mode, those figures will help you still feel in control if you end up having a little bit higher DD than planned.

On the other hand, it may help to up the percentage for awhile to get things moving again. Or like casmira said, move up a bit, then work back down.

Sure will be glad when I've lost 500 lbs. so I can sound like a true voice of experience.
I'm going to do that-thanks for the idea!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The magical 500 calories was about 35% level for me. I bounced all over the place between 600 and 100 calories - my DD log is hilarious and shows I tend to have one 'not hungry' DD out of every four. I kept a running DD average of 500 until the dreaded last 12 pounds where I had to drop to an average of 400 (still way above 20%).

I lost slowly, about two pounds/week. I found that very satisfactory and looked at the whole thing as getting ready for maintenance......which it was.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
The magical 500 calories was about 35% level for me. I bounced all over the place between 600 and 100 calories - my DD log is hilarious and shows I tend to have one 'not hungry' DD out of every four. I kept a running DD average of 500 until the dreaded last 12 pounds where I had to drop to an average of 400 (still way above 20%).

I lost slowly, about two pounds/week. I found that very satisfactory and looked at the whole thing as getting ready for maintenance......which it was.
I'm 10lbs away from my maintenance weight, so maybe it is a good time to start transitioning into it-thanks for the input!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I've never gone much lower than 500 calories on DD. Usually a little bit more. I am still losing, but might need to adjust a bit. You think? If you're not concerned about slow losses, you can probably still lose at up to 700 calories, consistently. But it will be slowwwwww, as I can attest.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I've been doing 5%- 10% to leave room for possibly sleepwalking/eating. I don't think I have been much, but I seem to be slowing down considerably with losses. I don't count UDs so those potentially could be way too low or way too high. My cycle has been wacked out so that could be part of it. I've also upped my salt intake since I was having symptoms of low BP, which is much better, but I may be bloated so- all of that to say... I think knowing your full range of DD numbers is very helpful and probably shaking up DDs is a good idea as you near goal.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I've always eaten 500-600 calories on DD which is 35% for me. There have been a couple that were around 475 but those are the exception. I'm averaging 1lb loss a week. I seem to be losing a little faster this week which is interesting because I've eaten more junk food (sweets) than I usually do. I am 1lb from my goal weight but I think I'm going to lower it 5 lbs so I have a comfortable swing range for maintenance.

Good luck with your experiment!
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #14
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyann View Post
I've always eaten 500-600 calories on DD which is 35% for me. There have been a couple that were around 475 but those are the exception. I'm averaging 1lb loss a week. I seem to be losing a little faster this week which is interesting because I've eaten more junk food (sweets) than I usually do. I am 1lb from my goal weight but I think I'm going to lower it 5 lbs so I have a comfortable swing range for maintenance.

Good luck with your experiment!
Great job on being so close to goal

Well yesterday I decided to eat higher DD calories (635 which is between 35 and 40% for me). The scale was the same this morning, but I also started tom when I normally gain a bit, so I'm very happy I'm going to keep playing around with my DD percentages and see what happens!

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
Since I'm close to goal as well, I've been playing more with the numbers this month. I'm usually at 30% or above though on DD, and have been from the beginning. I had a few very low cal DD but not many. I've lost about 5 lbs since starting in Dec. and I am very happy with that even if it's slow. And that's with the holidays and a few out of control UD's lol.
I do what vanilla suggested, I have the range for DD written down and try to stay within those. Mine are 311-622.
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Mine are 374 to 560 (20-30%). I guess I've been going up to 35% sometimes. I am about to google exactly what the percentage weight loss mode means, lol.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am in Maintenance but I use 30% as a rule, for me that is about 550 cals. I prefer to eat hight UDs.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell
Stats: 192/181/150
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 2, 2013
Do I have this right?

have been reading some JUDD threads and went on the website, sounds so interesting. The calc. Says I get only 400 cal. A day on DD, then 2000 on UD. does that sound right? I can eat whatever I want on UD? I love how I feel on Atkins, but already I am craving oranges, grapefruit, oatmeal.....to be able to eat them and still lose weight sounds to good to be true.
Lilybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Welcome Lilybell!

400/2000 sounds reasonable.

You may find foods that your body handles poorly (like gluten intolerance). And since you have been eating LC, if you add carbs (especially a lot of carbs) back you may see a bounce in weight as your body holds water while it tries to figure out what just happened (it will figure it out and let go of the water...or you can add small amounts of carbs back slowly and minimize the bounce). There is no right or wrong here, chose what feels 'right' to you.

But, yep, you can eat whatever you want. Fruits and veggies are amazingly good.

JUDDD does not care what you eat - only how many calories you eat.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lilybell
Stats: 192/181/150
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: January 2, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Welcome Lilybell!

400/2000 sounds reasonable.

You may find foods that your body handles poorly (like gluten intolerance). And since you have been eating LC, if you add carbs (especially a lot of carbs) back you may see a bounce in weight as your body holds water while it tries to figure out what just happened (it will figure it out and let go of the water...or you can add small amounts of carbs back slowly and minimize the bounce). There is no right or wrong here, chose what feels 'right' to you.

But, yep, you can eat whatever you want. Fruits and veggies are amazingly good.

JUDDD does not care what you eat - only how many calories you eat.
thank you Nancy! I have read enough to know that I want to try this. what really intrueged me was the studies on asthma. I will be getting my peak flow meter out and measuring. To have my breathing better would be worth it alone, let alone weightless! guess I have to figure out how to start a diary.
Lilybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #21
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybell View Post
have been reading some JUDD threads and went on the website, sounds so interesting. The calc. Says I get only 400 cal. A day on DD, then 2000 on UD. does that sound right? I can eat whatever I want on UD? I love how I feel on Atkins, but already I am craving oranges, grapefruit, oatmeal.....to be able to eat them and still lose weight sounds to good to be true.
Yep, it's true JUDDD is seriously amazing!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yay! Welcome and good luck! Let us know if your asthma symptoms improve soon, ok?
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote