Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   27 Weeks on JUDDD -- Holiday Gain Gone (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/794051-27-weeks-juddd-holiday-gain-gone.html)

stephdray 01-09-2013 09:20 AM

27 Weeks on JUDDD -- Holiday Gain Gone

Today I weighed in at 256 lbs for a loss of 2 lbs this week and 34 lbs lost overall, 30 of them on JUDDD.

With that, I'm back where I started before the holiday madness set in and I feel good about that! As always, the upsides and the downsides.

Downsides

Hungry Up Days. I remember a time when my up day calories seemed so generous--when sometimes I wondered if I'd even manage to get them all in. I fear that my body has adjusted to the rotations and those days of suppressed appetite are gone forever. I managed to start counting on my up days so that every one of them was not an up up and away day and what I found this week was that I was going to bed hungry every single night instead of just on down days. I can handle that for a short amount of time, but I won't be able to stand that if it's a new permanent feature of the WOE. To combat this, I will try to steer my menu in the direction of more "filling" foods even on an up day. Sorry, chocolate, but you're too expensive right now.

In Between Sizes. Recently I decided to reward myself with a shopping trip to get new clothes, because everything I own hangs on me like an unflattering sack now. But in the dressing room, nothing was flattering and I was unable to figure out what my new size actually was. I wish I could say that I handled this with grace and good humor, but instead, like a jerk, I had a melt down and emotionally fled the store, leaving everything behind in the dressing room for the poor clerks to clean up.

Upsides

Easy Down Days. I'm not sure why I was in such a panic about whether or not I'd be able to return to rotations after the holidays because it's been a snap. Dare I say that I've mastered the Down Day? Or is that tempting fate?

Lovely Menus. Breakfast is no longer any junk you can find to keep you going until lunch around here. I now prize feeding my family beautiful meals. Eggs and bacon is not good enough for us. No, now it's become: poached eggs served on toasted french bread topped with a garlic butter sauce and served with a side of asparagus and apple smoked bacon... I love rediscovering wonderful recipes and balanced meals that aren't marred by low fat, low carb or low anything considerations. It's made entertaining a lot more fun!

Stress Free. I remember when I was starting JUDDD every social engagement was a source of intense anxiety. Should I keep to my rotations? Could I order anything under 500 calories in a restaurant? Oh no, what should I do?! Now the strategy is simple. If there's something I can find on the menu, like soup, that will allow me to keep my DD I do it. If, however, the social situation is such that it would be totally impossible to keep to my rotations without creating awkwardness and/or freaking out at the deprivation, I switch my rotation. No muss, no fuss. I've found that the number of times I can quite easily keep to my DD in social situations is increasing and on the rare occasion it can't be done, I just shrug my shoulders and adapt.

KeirasMom 01-09-2013 09:29 AM

:clap: Back to pre-holiday weight! :jumpjoy:

I think the in-between sizes thing is common. My 14s now are HUGE on me, every single pair. Some 12s fit well, and some are baggy, while others are still too tight. It's such a weird feeling.

The hungry up days happen. I can't really find any rhyme or reason to mine. Same with down days; sometimes I'm hungry, and more often I'm not. No rhyme or reason. Just know that ALL your UDs will not be hungry. You'll get back to those easy UDs soon, I'm sure.

lisamt 01-09-2013 10:00 AM

Your menus sound wonderful. I love poached eggs, they are one of my favorite comfort foods.

I also know the frustration of in-between sizes. It sucks when your old clothes are too loose, but the next size down is still uncomfortably tight.

stephdray 01-09-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisamt (Post 16183576)
Your menus sound wonderful. I love poached eggs, they are one of my favorite comfort foods.

I also know the frustration of in-between sizes. It sucks when your old clothes are too loose, but the next size down is still uncomfortably tight.

Today was a brie, pear, and ham panini for lunch ;)

stephdray 01-09-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16183470)
:clap: Back to pre-holiday weight! :jump joy:

Yes! I love that it was only a blip in the year.

Quote:

I think the in-between sizes thing is common. My 14s now are HUGE on me, every single pair. Some 12s fit well, and some are baggy, while others are still too tight. It's such a weird feeling.
It is. I'm sure if I just kept trying on more clothes I'd have found something that wasn't either too big or too small, but I really let it get to me--like it was the universe telling me that the weight I've lost so far just isn't that big a deal.

Quote:

The hungry up days happen. I can't really find any rhyme or reason to mine. Same with down days; sometimes I'm hungry, and more often I'm not. No rhyme or reason. Just know that ALL your UDs will not be hungry. You'll get back to those easy UDs soon, I'm sure.
I hope you're right!

sorenkkg 01-09-2013 10:25 AM

Well done Steph! :up:

I agree with Dawn-- for a while, before November even, my UDs were like, ok, I ate, now what?

granted I'm still sick now, so I'm not super hungry any day, but I can say that UDs aren't always like that.

I also like the "expensive chocolate" comment-- I think like that too. I have X calories to "spend" and so what will give me the most bang for my buck.

Veggies are usually "cheap" so I can get my colors and fiber inexpensively.

I am thrifty with protein/fat, even on UDs... this is where I prefer to "spend".

If I have some budget left over, then I may splurge on something frivolous, like carbs (toast, bagel, or popcorn, or cereal)...

I generally don't waste "currency" on crap-- if I have chocolate, it's dark and rich. if I have ice cream, I make my own sugar free b/c then I'm just "spending" on fat/richness, not empty sugar carbs.

I think this is the part where our own philosophies get to come to the fore-- I personally still like moderate carbs, and believe in a lot of what I've learned over the years of LC. However, I had a real bagel today, and I won't die from that either-- so I'm learning moderation.

DH remarked to me that our household budget tends to follow our diet-- when we reign in the eating, we also wind up reigning in the spending.

So glad you're feeling better! :hugs:
S.

KeirasMom 01-09-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16183603)

OMG, I'm hopping a plane. I'll be there for dinner! :yummy:

sorenkkg 01-09-2013 10:27 AM

I think I'm closer, and I still have a bunch of calories left for lunch and dinner.... I CALL DIBS!!!
;)

LoCarbGal 01-09-2013 10:41 AM

Oh Steph, menus sound so good!

I just had shirred eggs for the first time last weekend. Wow was that good! I wish I had known about them when I was low carbing - butter, ham, eggs, cream, swiss cheese, chives, parsley - come on! Can't get much lower carb than that!

svenskamae 01-09-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16183693)
Oh Steph, menus sound so good!

I just had shirred eggs for the first time last weekend. Wow was that good! I wish I had known about them when I was low carbing - butter, ham, eggs, cream, swiss cheese, chives, parsley - come on! Can't get much lower carb than that!

I'm doing an egg and fat fast for a few days, up days and down, and I want to come to your house for those shirred eggs on my next up day!

Thanks for another great report, Steph. I look forward to reading your reports, and sympathize about the melt down in the frustrating dressing room; I've been known to burst into tears in a dressing room. :console:

Babsbabs 01-09-2013 11:21 AM

:jumpjoy::jumpjoy:I am happy that you are back to your pre-holiday weight! I have decided to get a panini maker when I return from my trip.

Luv2Eat 01-09-2013 01:52 PM

:kicking: Back to where you started before the holidays is fab!

I know what you mean about the UD's - perception of calorie allotment has changed for me too - need to dust off the lower calorie recipes.

Carly 01-09-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16183650)
OMG, I'm hopping a plane. I'll be there for dinner! :yummy:

Me too! I'm coming! I think that UD hunger will pass. I'm only aware of being hungry on an UD if TOM is about to appear.

gotsomeold 01-10-2013 06:56 AM

What time is lunch? Leftovers (of that calibre) will do.

I find if I add extra veggies and an ounce of protein to the dinner recipe I get much fuller, do not change most the flavor substantively, and 'waste' so few calories that I can still spend quality time with my BFFs: big caramel and pinch 'o pink sea salt.

calichris 01-10-2013 07:25 AM

I'm with you on the hungry up days. I think part of it may be just from the holidays? I think I got used to having a bit more over the holidays and now it's just an adjustment to get back to how things were, but that it will happen. We're so adaptable. :D And then, too, I agree with Dawn, sometimes there's no rhyme and reason to hungry up days or down days!

Congratulations on being back to pre-holiday weight so soon!

Flutter 01-10-2013 07:28 AM

Ack, hungry UDs, huh? I'm not at that point yet but thank you for always posting about your experiences! So far, I've gone from not hungry alot of the time (either DD or UD) to being super hungry on DDs. I don't like it, as I'm sure you don't like the hungry UDs! Grrr!

I'm so sorry about your shopping nightmare, too. I detest shopping. It's SO MUCH WORSE when in between sizes, too. Hugs to you! I hope you're able to find some things you love soon...with minimal heartache in the process! You have just done AMAZING! WOOHOOOO!!!!

mykidsteacher 01-10-2013 07:34 AM

Congrats on getting back to pre-holiday weight! Guarantee you there are millions of other people out there who'd give their left arm to be in that position at the end of the 2nd week of January!

Sorry about the fitting room melt down. Have you tried thrift stores? Since things are so much less expensive, you could maybe settle for something 'better' than what you have, even if it isn't perfect, while you wait for the next size to fit better.

I wonder if the hunger isn't a bit seasonal? Even though we are less active in general in winter, our bodies want more fuel to stay warmer. I know my dh eats a LOT more in winter than in summer (he's a farmer so outside all the time, and burns all that off actually staying warm, so no weight issues). But if we have the same instinct, it might account for the hunger. I've been more hungry lately too. Or it could just be that we got used to eating more during the holidays, and our bodies are being brats about wanting to go back to what is best for it. :)

Keep up the great work.

DD80 01-10-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16183603)

MMMMmmm sounds delicious! I do this same thing. I want every meal to be delicious. Have you tried Marscapone, proscuitto and honey? Oh Lordy it's good. :)

I also have extreme hunger issues and have found that cutting way down on the white stuff (breads, pasta, sugar) does help with cravings. Working on getting my hormones under control too (organic food, etc).

Glad you are doing well! Keep up the good work! :high5:

Kissa 01-10-2013 10:03 AM

Brilliant that you are back to your pre holiday weight.

I wish I could have gone shopping with you. I love shopping and nothing makes me happier than trotting back and forth to the changing room with stuff for friends to try on. I would have kept you calm and happy I am sure, then we could have enjoyed a lovely glass of wine with our lunch. :hyst::D:hyst:

gotsomeold 01-10-2013 11:06 AM

110% the new 'sizing' is the most unbelievable free or all I have encountered short a major estate sale. I used to carry a tape measure into thrift stores and yard sales. Now I measure clothing any- and every-where I shop. (no need to try it on if it cannot fit).

Between sizes is a ---! But, as you say, there are clothes that fit out there. And this is total proof your weight loss really is making a difference (said suzy sunshine, there has to be a pony on here somewhere!)

Yam-Yam 01-10-2013 12:36 PM

I'm popping in to say YAY and YIPPEE! about getting that holiday gain off so quickly! :jumpjoy:

:console: for the dressing room melt down. BTDT!! And I'm sure many of us have!:console:

vanilla_latte 01-10-2013 12:36 PM

:clap: :up: :kicking:

Librarygirl 01-10-2013 06:30 PM

Steph, always good to read your posts. :) I love how you explain everything so well, and also don't hide the set-backs. It's also great news that you've evicted the holiday gain!:up: But, what I took most of all from your post was this: What time is BREAKFAST tomorrow?!!:yummy::hyst: