Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: j4Christ
Stats: 166/161/110 5'2" w/ shoes
Anyone not count cals on UD?

I have asked this question before and got a mixed bag, but I thought since the crowd here is somewhat new (and successful, I will add!!) I thought I would ask again! I would love to get to a point where I just don't need to count cals. assuming I have reasonable UD.

Yes, I am once again thinking of joining this wonderful crowd!
j4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I don't count my UD calories but I always count my DD ones.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Can I add another question that I've asked before? Do you do true rotation (alternate days no matter what) or a fasting schedule (M-W-F are DD etc.) Thanks!!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I still count UDs and do a true every-other-day rotation.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I don't count my UD calories but I always count my DD ones.
Thanks, that's what I am hoping to do. Do you do true rotation or are you on a DD schedule?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Me too.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
Thanks, that's what I am hoping to do. Do you do true rotation or are you on a DD schedule?
I'm all over the place My fall back plan is an every other day rotation, but I keep adding random hacks, so really I only stay on rotation maybe two weeks at a time before I get sidetracked and end up doing things like eating only potatoes for 3 days

I did try a fixed day rotation schedule for a while because our weekends are so 'fly by the seat of our pants' kind of days but having both Saturdays and Sundays be UDs really stalled my weight loss.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I count my UD's sometimes, lol. My rotations have become less strict too, because I will sometimes do a MD on the weekend...my results might not inspire copying my style though, lol.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
I don't - for now. My JB's know this, but last year before some surgery (and consequential fall from the wagon) I had hit a wall in losing. They suggested I count my UD calories for a bit and it turns out I wasn't eating enough. Once I began eating up to them I began losing.

Since beginning again last week, I'm doing what was working for me before. Count the DD calories, don't worry about the UD calories (again, for now) and my rotation is one I need that works for me. I do M/W/F Down Days, T/T/S Up Days, Sunday is a Medium Day. This rotation worked well for me when I first did JUDDD a few years ago before that darn wagon rolled into town!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I ALWAYS do strict rotations and count my DD's religiously.
I stopped counting UD's long ago BUT I am now back to counting UD's since I started gaining.
I counted when I started for many months until I was able to have a very valid estimation system. NOW I am not doing as well at guestimating so I am back to logging in calories. it is too easy to overeat when guessing. And I am up 3 or 4 pounds due to this. Not sure if I would have lost in the beginning if I had not kept up with my calorie count. It isn't hard. Develop about 3 UD menus and repeat over and over and you don't have to count daily. Was that a 200 calorie cookie or a 600 calorie cookie. Of course I would convince myself it was 200. Ha!!
You have to do what works for you but if you are not losing then calorie counting is probably a good idea.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014

Last edited by adillenal; 01-08-2013 at 10:06 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
My first go-round, I didn't count UDs at first, and did a UD/MD on weekends, but I had so much to lose that it worked well for me anyway until I lost about 30 pounds. Then, I stalled and the only thing that got me going again was counting UD cals and going on a strict rotation. I was shocked to see how far off I was on my "estimations" of what I was eating.

I didn't even attempt to count UDs over the holidays. I ate whatever I wanted, and by sticking to strict DDs, only gained a couple of pounds.

I'm counting UDs religiously now, and intend to do strict rotations now that the holidays are over.
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4Christ View Post
assuming I have reasonable UD.
I think the above is key for all of us. Does "not counting" = bingeing? UUAD? eating every junky thing in sight? If so, then you probably should count.

I eyeball some UD and count at least 1-2 UD per week. I won't obsess (or TRY not to obsess), but I will plug in breakfast and lunch and eyeball dinner on UD. I generally always measure portions now, but will go back for seconds if hungry. There's always an UUAD every once in a while, tho...reasonable, right?
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Me, too. But I'm doing JUDDD plus low carb/moderate protein, so I need to track multiple things--net carbs and protein grams, as well as calories.

Sometimes I get a little loose in tracking my DD food, but that's because I eat from the same limited menu (hard-boiled egg or turkey or chicken breast or lowfat cheese, plus broth plus measured half and half in coffee, plus radishes or other very low calorie raw veg), so I can do the calculations in my head-- especially if I'm able to do a very low calorie down day.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I don't count UDs, but I'm in maintenance. While I was still losing I counted everything, religiously.

I also do rotations every other day. Again, pretty religiously. I've only altered that rotation twice in the past almost-year. That was when we were on the long flights to and from South Africa. When crossing that many time zones, it's hard to tell when one day ends and another day begins, so we just had UDs that lasted probably 40 hours total, until we slept the first night after the flight(s). Otherwise, it's every other day rotations, like clockwork.

I'm a big fan of doing the plan, as written.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I ALWAYS do strict rotations and count my DD's religiously.
I stopped counting UD's long ago BUT I am now back to counting UD's since I started gaining.
I counted when I started for many months until I was able to have a very valid estimation system. NOW I am not doing as well at guestimating so I am back to logging in calories. it is too easy to overeat when guessing.
And I am up 3 or 4 pounds due to this. Not sure if I would have lost in the beginning if I had not kept up with my calorie count. It isn't hard. Develop about 3 UD menus and repeat over and over and you don't have to count daily. Was that a 200 calorie cookie or a 600 calorie cookie. Of course I would convince myself it was 200. Ha!!
You have to do what works for you but if you are not losing then calorie counting is probably a good idea.
YES! This became my downfall and the start of the Binge monster for me. I got it into my head that I could and HAD to eat lots of food because if I didn't I would be hungry on the DD that would be following my UD, but I didn't keep track of all that food I was eating and thought I could guessamate, but found that when I did start counting again I was off most days by 100s of calories!

I also started a Monday/Wednesday/Friday DD rotation with all the rest UDs. Another mistake!

I'm in no way discouraging anyone from doing no count UDs, just telling my story. We are all different and many have done no count UDs with great success. I was just not one of them after a while.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuckyLou
Stats: 202.8/182.8/
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: Reboot June 2014
I'm another who didn't count UDs for the first few months. I lost fine and it helped me get over any fear of deprivation. However, I lost nowhere near as quickly as the big losers on the boards did (hats off to them!). Once I realised that, it occurred to me to start counting but it still took me about 6 weeks to come round fully to the idea. I've only had 3 counted UDs but have been amazed by how much I have to eat to hit my calories when I eat clean AND how easy it is to go WAAAY over when I don't. So I suspect for a long time my UD cals were bouncing all over the place.

Re rotations. I initially did MWF DDs only but about 4 weeks in just found myself far too stuffed at the end of 2 weekend UDs so I chose to alternate just to feel better

Best of luck whatever you choose. It's the YMMV beauty of JUDDD!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Probably too new to count really (just about 2 months in) but I do rotations faithfully and count both UD and DD. Ah, yea, like those 5 "little" buckeye candies I just had that when plugged in to the calculator were 700 calories. LOL!!! Whoops, no shell for my fajitas tonight!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I count, though some UDs are a bit loose, only b/c I know what's in all the food I eat regularly. Still, I plug in all my days.

I do true rotations, though sometimes for a special event I switch it up using a MD. Mostly, I find success by just regular rotations and sticking with it.

s.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I have always been one to "eyeball" my food.. Ive not counted in so long which is nice but.. When i start to stall i realize its because i am UNder estimating them..I would say to please if your newer to this and have not had enough time to be able to "see" what a 3 ounce peice of chicken looks like ,, then you might want to count till you can guestimate.. I counted in the start so i could see what portion sizes really looked like and then i would be able to ":know" how many were in that item cuz i took the time to measure once so the future would know how much it was.. Best of luck and i am a reg ud then dd person.. dont care for the whole certain day is an up day or down day.. its just the way i like to do mine.
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #20

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I don't count UDs when I am comfortably in Maintenance but once I see 128, I know I need to be diligent and count them until I am under my goal weight. I do regular UD/DD rotations with the odd MD or 2 UDs for social reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
I don't count UDs, but I'm in maintenance. While I was still losing I counted everything, religiously.

I also do rotations every other day. Again, pretty religiously. I've only altered that rotation twice in the past almost-year. That was when we were on the long flights to and from South Africa. When crossing that many time zones, it's hard to tell when one day ends and another day begins, so we just had UDs that lasted probably 40 hours total, until we slept the first night after the flight(s). Otherwise, it's every other day rotations, like clockwork.

I'm a big fan of doing the plan, as written.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Probably too new to count really (just about 2 months in) but I do rotations faithfully and count both UD and DD. Ah, yea, like those 5 "little" buckeye candies I just had that when plugged in to the calculator were 700 calories. LOL!!! Whoops, no shell for my fajitas tonight!
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLou View Post
I'm another who didn't count UDs for the first few months. I lost fine and it helped me get over any fear of deprivation. However, I lost nowhere near as quickly as the big losers on the boards did (hats off to them!). Once I realised that, it occurred to me to start counting but it still took me about 6 weeks to come round fully to the idea. I've only had 3 counted UDs but have been amazed by how much I have to eat to hit my calories when I eat clean AND how easy it is to go WAAAY over when I don't. So I suspect for a long time my UD cals were bouncing all over the place.

Re rotations. I initially did MWF DDs only but about 4 weeks in just found myself far too stuffed at the end of 2 weekend UDs so I chose to alternate just to feel better

Best of luck whatever you choose. It's the YMMV beauty of JUDDD!
And again, yup and yup!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I do regular every other day rotations. I did a maintenance break for December and did M,W,F as the only DDs- promptly stopped losing (which was the plan). I do not count UDs, I do count every morsel weighed on a food scale on DDs.

My caution about not needing to count my UDs is I did not gain weight the way the average person gains weight. What I am saying is- I don't really have an over eating issue... while awake... I have taken fairly extreme measures to limit what I can eat sleepwalking and also don't exceed 150 calories on DD in case I sleepwalk eat a 90 calorie yogurt.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Nooooooo! Don' tell me how many calories! They are my favorite holiday candy! I don't want to even THINK about how many I ate over Christmas! Guess I am lucky I only gained 2 pounds.
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
I count (obsessively?) everything and do regular rotations. I really don't mind it, I find it kind of comforting to look at what I ate and the charts of protein/fat/carb ratios at the end of the day. I know where I stand.

It's been very eye-opening as well. Some of the things I've eaten, I would have never guessed the amount of calories or carbs in if I wouldn't have looked them up! Like eating 3 Roy Rogers chicken thighs...
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
Ok, I've been JUDDING for nearly 5 months. I found my binge monster erupt (as I had deprived myself of delicious, hearty food for about, well forever!), and lost very, VERY slowly for the first 3 months, but that was ok with me. I did not count most of the time on UD's, but when I did count, it helped (a little).
A big problem for all of us is getting past our 'bad relationship' with food. If it is binge eating (me), we need to learn when to stop and accept we have had enough. Or deprivation (me again), we need to treat ourselves to those foods on our UD's and move on, try not to let food consume us. And calorie counting (yup, this girl), well, I was drained. After counting calories for what seems a lifetime, I found great comfort in only counting DD's. I found after those initial 3 months, my relationship has improved... BIG TIME!

I don't count DD's, as I know what is in my DD foods, I can add that in my head, I have been eating them every second day for 5 months and I'm not stalling. This takes ALOT of repetition to master and I suggest counting DD's until you know exactly what your DD menu will look like in the long term. I do not count UD's either, I am now in a stage where I can sit back after my dinner and say, 'nah, I'm pretty right" rather than the old "but tomorrows a DD, I have to eat myself stupid so I don't feel like eating!".

I never eat breakfast, as it helps me contol my appetite on both days, and I stick to rotations! Throwing in MD's just DID NOT WORK for me. Had a week off at christmas as I could not rotate, and ate to satisfaction - and had my best weight loss to date in December. Yes, during December . I put this down to learning this way of eating, not just doing it. It takes time, patience, and a whole lotta will power! But it works, and I love it. Never in my life (spent dieting pretty much since I was a teen) have I found a way to eat that gives me results and gives me the 'Juddd calm' thats been talked about. And everyone is just so supportive, I love you all!

Last edited by SICCHI; 01-09-2013 at 04:09 AM..
SICCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #25

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWorkerMT View Post
Nooooooo! Don' tell me how many calories! They are my favorite holiday candy! I don't want to even THINK about how many I ate over Christmas! Guess I am lucky I only gained 2 pounds.
I KNOW! Ugh!!! OH well...I need to back off the remaining holiday candies! Whoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICCHI View Post
Ok, I've been JUDDING for nearly 5 months. I found my binge monster erupt (as I had deprived myself of delicious, hearty food for about, well forever!), and lost very, VERY slowly for the first 3 months, but that was ok with me. I did not count most of the time on UD's, but when I did count, it helped (a little).
A big problem for all of us is getting past our 'bad relationship' with food. If it is binge eating (me), we need to learn when to stop and accept we have had enough. Or deprivation (me again), we need to treat ourselves to those foods on our UD's and move on, try not to let food consume us. And calorie counting (yup, this girl), well, I was drained. After counting calories for what seems a lifetime, I found great comfort in only counting DD's. I found after those initial 3 months, my relationship has improved... BIG TIME!

I don't count DD's, as I know what is in my DD foods, I can add that in my head, I have been eating them every second day for 5 months and I'm not stalling. This takes ALOT of repetition to master and I suggest counting DD's until you know exactly what your DD menu will look like in the long term. I do not count UD's either, I am now in a stage where I can sit back after my dinner and say, 'nah, I'm pretty right" rather than the old "but tomorrows a DD, I have to eat myself stupid so I don't feel like eating!".

I never eat breakfast, as it helps me contol my appetite on both days, and I stick to rotations! Throwing in MD's just DID NOT WORK for me. Had a week off at christmas as I could not rotate, and ate to satisfaction - and had my best weight loss to date in December. Yes, during December . I put this down to learning this way of eating, not just doing it. It takes time, patience, and a whole lotta will power! But it works, and I love it. Never in my life (spent dieting pretty much since I was a teen) have I found a way to eat that gives me results and gives me the 'Juddd calm' thats been talked about. And everyone is just so supportive, I love you all!
So happy for you!! It's awesome that you're doing so great and loving the way you're doing it! (and have learned SO MUCH about you in the process!)
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
I count on both UD & DD. I find I'm often 200-400 short of my calorie goal on UD if I just go by my hunger. Of course there are some days I'm hungrier and have no problem getting to or going over too so I always count.

I also stick to every other day rotations unless I have a special occasion but they are pretty few and far between.
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLou View Post
... been amazed by how much I have to eat to hit my calories when I eat clean AND how easy it is to go WAAAY over when I don't...
That would be me. Oh wowsers, that is me.

I do strict rotations. But that is because DH is still JUDDDing to lose. Once he hits goal, I may suggest a regular Sun-Tue-Thu DD schedule.

There is no right or wrong. Only you and what your body needs. But, one of my rules to lose by if you stall is "start counting before you start panicking".

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-09-2013 at 06:52 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
I don't count UDs and mainly do fixed DDs on Mon, Wed, and Fridays with UDs on Sat and Sun. This leads to slow but reasonable weight loss of c. 4 - 5 pounds a month when I avoid any UUADs!

I like it because I am very resistent to feeling deprived which historically has always led to binges etc. This way I don't feel like I am on a diet 4 days a week. Not sure whether to tighten up things to increase my weight loss!

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brehede
Stats: 283/264/140
WOE: LC JUDDD
Start Date: January 2012
Sorry - I forgot to add that I keep mainly low carb which may help with not counting cals on UDs

Dee
brehede is offline   Reply With Quote