Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Have any of you read this or incorporated it into your workout routine? I just bought it but haven't started reading it yet. Just curious if any of you found it useful.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hi Dawn,

I just pulled out my Jari Love "Get Ripped" dvd and it is very similar or so they say! I can tell a big difference. I alternate the KB and the JL. Let me know how you like it. Lifting is a great add for our 40+ age group.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
I LOVE IT!

Over the years, I've done New Rules for Women, and just recently New Rules for Abs. (I thought there was another one...but maybe not. Oh, Female Body Breakthrough.) If you're willing to do some actual strength-training, it's so great. It is all laid out, 12 weeks, no guessing, and you really see progress as you go along. My husband adores me always, but he sayd I look better when I'm doing these programs.

I can't say enough good about Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. (I'm a personal trainer, and I've seen Alwyn and his wife speak, and they are my idols in the industry.) You can't go wrong here.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'll check this out next pay day!! Thanks for sharing.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121/118-123
WOE: my way
I think if you like paper workouts- it is a good one. I just prefer working out with a DVD.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

I started reading it last night at the gym (on the treadmill). DH was on the treadmill next to me and it sparked conversation re: repetition with low weights, or heavier weights with fewer reps. It's an interesting read so far, but I'm only a few chapters in. I thought it was funny that I was on the treadmill when I started the chapter titled "Step Away From The Treadmill" or something similar.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" 160/140
WOE: IF 16/8
A great book for the average woman like us, who isn't looking to become a competitive fitness model is, "The Body Fat Solution: Five Principles for Burning Fat, Building Lean Muscle, Ending Emotional Eating, and Maintaining Your Perfect Weight" by Tom Venuto.

Ann
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
I just bought this book and finished reading it. I have been doing weight machines at the gym this month. I mentioned adding weight and cutting sets to one of the employees. She told me that I should still do two sets so that I would build lean muscle, and not bulk up. I ignored her and added weight to try to get to one set of 10 - 12. When I left, I felt like I had worked and accomplished something, rather than frustrated.

I am not quite ready to move in to the weight room just yet though. At this point, I cannot do a full pushup on my toes.

Dawn, did you finish the book? What did you decide?

What did everyone think of the eating portion, especially as this is the JUDDD board?

My thoughts are my reality.

Last edited by gardengoddess; 03-03-2013 at 07:07 PM..
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #9

I got sidetracked with other books. It's still on my TBR list, and I'm a few chapters in, but haven't gotten back to it yet. I do want to start lifting, and what I've read so far, makes sense. I just need to buckle down and do it.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kgirlpure
Stats: ( 5'5")181/164/130 age 48
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: january 2014 again
Gardengoddess~ it is great you can to a push up. I so cant push out even 5 on my knees. I have horse so it is nothing for me to throw around 50lb bales of hay, but for me to do push ups I feel like I am bench pressing a car.
kgirlpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
It's a great idea, if you're able to lift..I think I could only do a 5 lb wt. in each hand,...maybe I should try a can of beans in each hand.., but seriously, since I'm not supposed to lift much of anything , I did order some BCAA today from Swanson..I noticed that on Dr Lara's video he recommended taking that in order to preserve muscle when doing the IMF..I will take it for at least a month and see if it helps..Maybe if you can and do lift weights you don't have to worry about losing muscle...Go for it ladies, it can only help, I would think,.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I thought it was funny that I was on the treadmill when I started the chapter titled "Step Away From The Treadmill" or something similar.
Why did they say that, by the way? ("Step away from the treadmill"). I was thinking about hitting the treadmill tonight, but maybe I shouldn't! Can you talk me out of it, Dawn?
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #13

Just that lifting will burn possibly fewer calories while actually doing it, but will continue to burn calories long after, while the muscles are repairing, so for "fat loss" lifting is supposed to be better than your standard cardio work that we all think is so great at burning fat. He says cardio is great for heart health, and doesn't discourage it, just says it's not the miracle exercise we think it is in terms of fat and metabolism. Correct lifting techniques should allow for an equal workout in a much shorter time. (I hope I'm remembering this correctly--I really, really need to finish the books I'm reading and get back to this one!)

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Just that lifting will burn possibly fewer calories while actually doing it, but will continue to burn calories long after, while the muscles are repairing, so for "fat loss" lifting is supposed to be better than your standard cardio work that we all think is so great at burning fat. He says cardio is great for heart health, and doesn't discourage it, just says it's not the miracle exercise we think it is in terms of fat and metabolism. Correct lifting techniques should allow for an equal workout in a much shorter time. (I hope I'm remembering this correctly--I really, really need to finish the books I'm reading and get back to this one!)
The above statment is correct! Cardio is where you will burn calories for a defict for weight loss not in your weights.. The weights speed up your motabolism to help use the caloires you put in yoru body.. and direct those nutrients to where they are needed most.. A good work out routine will have not only weights (heavy lifting) but also a cardio.. If you just do weights and no exra cardio the scale will not be your friend.. but the tape messure will be.. Muscle require holding water to repair and be remodeled.. the burning is the tearing down of the muscle and the day of rest is when the muscles are acutally being built so to speak.. Very important that if you chose to lift.. you must feed those muscles.. protein is your newest friend to build healthy strong muscles.. your carbs are after a work out to replenih the energy that you just spent. if your goin to lift.. lift heavy and work to failure.. ie.. if you set out to 10 reps in a sec make sure that the last two are very hard to achiieve.. that way you know your at the right weight.. your next set will be harder to do and those last two reps almost imposible to achieve.. that is what i have read is how it should happen.. Also.. Women think they cant lift heavy cuz they will look like a man,, this is very very hard to achive and takes many years of training.. and dedication to a strict diet.. so dont fear that.. its a myth.. plus mens muscles look the way they do due to the testosrone in there bodys.. Best of luck in how ever you chose to work out~ Love ya girls~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kgirlpure
Stats: ( 5'5")181/164/130 age 48
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: january 2014 again
sterlinggirl ~ great post!
kgirlpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Dawn: I bought it but never read it. Now, where did I put it????

Kimberly: Great post!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
Is that the program that you are following Kimberly?

Today, I worked on narrowing down the correct weight on each machine. I feel great!
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Today Linda.. I upped my weight to work less reps, and really felt the muscle..I felt stronger today than ever.. and did only 8 reps 3 sets.. it was a struggle on the first few and i could finally really see the muscle move today.. So in part yes that is how i am working it~ I love the way i finally feel stronger~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
The above statment is correct! Cardio is where you will burn calories for a defict for weight loss not in your weights.. The weights speed up your motabolism to help use the caloires you put in yoru body.. and direct those nutrients to where they are needed most.. A good work out routine will have not only weights (heavy lifting) but also a cardio.. If you just do weights and no exra cardio the scale will not be your friend.. but the tape messure will be.. Muscle require holding water to repair and be remodeled.. the burning is the tearing down of the muscle and the day of rest is when the muscles are acutally being built so to speak.. Very important that if you chose to lift.. you must feed those muscles.. protein is your newest friend to build healthy strong muscles.. your carbs are after a work out to replenih the energy that you just spent. if your goin to lift.. lift heavy and work to failure.. ie.. if you set out to 10 reps in a sec make sure that the last two are very hard to achiieve.. that way you know your at the right weight.. your next set will be harder to do and those last two reps almost imposible to achieve.. that is what i have read is how it should happen.. Also.. Women think they cant lift heavy cuz they will look like a man,, this is very very hard to achive and takes many years of training.. and dedication to a strict diet.. so dont fear that.. its a myth.. plus mens muscles look the way they do due to the testosrone in there bodys.. Best of luck in how ever you chose to work out~ Love ya girls~
Thanks for the great info from what you're learned Kimberly! You're such a toning inspiration!
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/121/118-123
WOE: my way
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote