Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: alaskachick
Stats: 185/177/150
WOE: Atkins/Low-Carb Started JUDDD: 12/22/12
Start Date: October 10, 2011
Other IF Plans?

Hi all,

Well I have been juddering about a week and a half. Lost 3 lbs, regained 2 for some inexplicable reason. Anyway, not too concerned about that (yet) ... but was researching some of the other intermittent fasting plans (Fast 5, Warrior Diet, Leangains, etc...) and wondering if any of you have tried any of those. And if so what brought you to JUDDD?

I really struggle with the down days (although it has gotten a bit better and I hear will continue to do so).. but I experimented with basically a Fast 5 plan yesterday and today, and found it much easier and almost a breeze!

Just wondering about your thoughts........ I think I like the idea of a random fasting pattern actually. Keep your bod "on it's toes" so to speak! And apparently there is some extra benefit to going with a longer fast on occasion (24-36 hours).

Anyhow, it was just so easy NOT to eat AT ALL until 5pm... and then just have a normal dinner and a snack later.... easy peasy. Of course, we will see if I lose any weight

Thanks all for your input!
Erica

Last edited by alaskachick; 01-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: spelling
alaskachick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
The trick with something like Fast 5 is to not over-eat during the 5, and yet to eat enough to break the fasting pattern and stop the SIRT production invoked by the fast.

I regularly eat JUDDD calories to Fast 5 pattern. But, when I was in WLM, I found extending the fast until dinner on UD was too long - I stalled. I did some experimenting and found, on UD, I had to eat about 500 calories for lunch. That lasted about six weeks. Then I was able to go back to the Fast 5 pattern.

In maintenance, I still have as many fasted periods as I can. Love those NSVs! love not worrying about meals!

I haven't looked at the other fasting plans because I have been so happy with combining JUDDD and Fast 5. I am sure they provide formats that will work well for some, not so well for other people.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and Erica, don't completely despair about DD calories. Whatever pattern you eat, it usually takes longer than a week or two for appetite suppression to get really settle in.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I use Fast 5 when I want to maintain. Since I will use it to fast before a big dinner on a vacation for several days rather than do rotations while vacationing.

I often eat in a Fast 5 style naturally, but not always and I like the option to have cream in my coffee on UD even if I wait till dinner to eat and that cream would probably be breaking the fast in a true Fast 5 WOE.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I just watched a documentary (it was posted in one of the other threads here) and I'm going to try and get my husband to do the 5 days/2 days fasting routine (don't know if it's called something?). This is what the guy in the documentary ended up going with and I think it would be doable for my husband-he needs to lose about 20lbs, but his cholesterol is pretty high too for his age. First step is getting him to actually watch the video

I do love the JUDDD rotations for weight loss, but once I hit goal I may look into other intermittent options, since at that point I'll be maintaining and doing it for the health benefit aspects (longevity of life, prevention of diseases etc).

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-04-2013 at 04:35 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Fast 5 doesn't work for everone but I personaly know 3 people who have used for weight
loss and maintence with excelent results. One lost about 50 lbs another about 110 and the third one about 165 lbs. Two of them have been doing it for about 30 years and the other one closer to 35 years. For me as long as I do Fat5 I can eat just about all I want
to including a lot of junk and not gain weight but if I lose any weight it's verry slow.

I had a major relaps about 7 months ago because of some personal psychological issues
but before that I was doing realy good combining JUDDD and using the Fast5 redused eating window.

I found another variations of If . One called for having only 2 low fat meals a day with a 12 hour fast between meals and then halfway between the meals having a 15 to 30 min. walk. Like eat breakfast then go for a 30 min. walk during your lunch hour. There was a study of people doing this for 8 weeks and it was interesting that they lost
as much during the last 4 weeks as they did the first.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Before I heard about JUDDD I was toying around with intermittent fasting. I was eating my calories in a 1-4 hour window daily(20-23hr fast daily). I found it very convenient for my lifestyle. I was averaging around 7-8 lbs. a month loss. Now on JUDDD I am eating my calories on my UDs in a 1-3 hour window and nothing on my DDs. Giving me a 45-47 hour fast. Last week was my first full week following the plan this way and I lost 4.8 lbs. I find it easier on me to not eat at all on DDs. I plan my UDs for the whole week ahead of time so I don't have to think about food at all. I don't have to cook for anyone but myself so I'm really enjoying the lack of dish washing!
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Wow Delta, I admire your discipline! I like to eat my DD calories mostly in the evening. Works great for me. But if I have to save all my UD calories for evening, it really irritates me. You're having phenomenal results though, which would be a great motivator!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I wanted to look into a lot of different ways too in the beginning of JUDDD because I felt like I'd NEVER get used to DD's. I did, finally, and JUDDD works just fine for me. I am not losing quickly, but am okay with it. I like having my little meals on DD and am not even trying to fast completely. I find that I'm able to eat the healthier stuff I don't always eat on UD's, on DD's.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I just watched a documentary (it was posted in one of the other threads here) and I'm going to try and get my husband to do the 5 days/2 days fasting routine (don't know if it's called something?). This is what the guy in the documentary ended up going with and I think it would be doable for my husband-he needs to lose about 20lbs, but his cholesterol is pretty high too for his age. First step is getting him to actually watch the video

I do love the JUDDD rotations for weight loss, but once I hit goal I may look into other intermittent options, since at that point I'll be maintaining and doing it for the health benefit aspects (longevity of life, prevention of diseases etc).

If it will make it easier for you husband, you can let him know that Michael eventually decided that rather than a hearty breakfast of 600 cals and nothing but tea the rest of the day, he did better with a small breakfast and a small dinner, 300 cals each.

BBC News - The power of intermittent fasting
"I found that I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, adding up to about 300 calories), lots of water and herbal tea during the day, then a light dinner (grilled fish with lots of vegetables) at night."
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Yesterday on my DD I consumed about 60-70 calories. It is 11:25 am here and I have not broken the fast. I'm not wanting my coffee and everytime I try to think about what to prepare nothing sounds appealing. I'm getting a bit light headed and notice now the longer I fast I have to stand very slowly from a seated position and sit slowly from laying in bed. I'm not sure why this is starting after quite a lot of time on JUDDD. Previously when I was thin I had low blood pressure that just went to normal when I was heavy. This feels like the low bp felt so perhaps I can't fast as long at a lower weight. I really have no idea, but I'm all for longer fasts if it feels good!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DeltaBigBoy
Stats: 342/263.4/?160?
WOE: Intermittent Fasting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Yesterday on my DD I consumed about 60-70 calories. It is 11:25 am here and I have not broken the fast. I'm not wanting my coffee and everytime I try to think about what to prepare nothing sounds appealing. I'm getting a bit light headed and notice now the longer I fast I have to stand very slowly from a seated position and sit slowly from laying in bed. I'm not sure why this is starting after quite a lot of time on JUDDD. Previously when I was thin I had low blood pressure that just went to normal when I was heavy. This feels like the low bp felt so perhaps I can't fast as long at a lower weight. I really have no idea, but I'm all for longer fasts if it feels good!
Hunger wise I found the less I ate on DDs the better I felt and less cravings I had. One of the reasons I dont eat on them anymore. Other than my fingers and toes feeling like blocks of ice I love not eating for 45-48 hours. I usually have 10oz of coffee on the way to work in my tumbler and a 32oz thermos of organic peppermint tea to help keep me warm and aid digestion! Everything else is water.

I had those weird feelings a couple times when I first did some fasts. I bought a glucose meter and blood pressure monitor so I could check myself. I was scared of hypoglycemia or low pressure! lol, I remember several months ago when I was doing a 4 day apple fast I felt so weird driving home from work I stopped at a gas station and bought a giant size snickers bar and gobbled it down! I was afraid I was going to pass out! I think I started having anxiety issues which made the weird feeling more pronounced. It's what made me buy the monitors. My blood pressure and glucose are always in normal range.

Hopefully it's nothing but please be careful!
DeltaBigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carly, the lower my weight got the more things changed...especially after maintaining for awhile.

I agree with DBB - you be careful!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Wow! Deltaboy is right Carly. I would be careful while JUDDDing. You are pretty lean now. I know that men do well with longer fast EOD, but it seems like women have different experiences. Do you check your blood sugar? or BP?
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't have a BP monitor, but have a glucose monitor. I'm finally having my coffee and now am starting to think I'll make an egg or something. I used to fast till dinner on UDs all the time so I don't know why this started recently. I have managed to never get sick since juddding, but I could be fighting off something that just isn't making me sick enough to slow down
Old 01-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I haven't been faint yet or shaky, but I still have quite a bit of meat left on me. That said, I rarely go much over 18 hours though.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

I made my egg and had some turkey pepperoni. Don't know if it made a difference, but I just may not be able to fast till dinner after such a low DD anymore. I will still experiment.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love egg & turkey. And it couldn't be more than 100 cals right? So, you have room for your dinner this evening.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

I shudder at the thought, but I actually think I'm getting sick. It's way overdue and can complain about 1 cold since last March, but that may be why I felt particularly light headed. I should get my BP checked if it continues since it started about a week or so ago. I'm not too worried but yes I have plenty of calories saved for this evening even though I said I wasn't up for eating out.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/147/145
Start Date: March 2012
I hope you are well Carly! I wish I could say I hadn't had a cold in that long.
I haven't tried following any other IF program but have read about them. I think what I like about the JUDDD framework is the flexibility of it. I go through stages where I really love fasting completely and carrying it into the evening of the UD and sometimes I eat really small meals all the way through DD and have loved that too. I have gone through a faze where I didn't eat until I was truly hungry, which was very enlightening for me as I was one of those people who had lost touch completely with what true hunger felt like. Mostly I fall into a fast 5 pattern with UD and DD calories. I have always been a believer in the need to calorie cycle between the two days as my efforts to lose weight following a low calorie diet were unsuccessful but I know it works for some. I never would have thought fasting could be so fascinating. I will be happy to be back to it after my short little potato hack.

Last edited by Babsbabs; 01-05-2013 at 01:49 PM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm not sure, but I actually think the "cold" is stopping. 5 hours ago I was sneezing and congested and I almost feel totally "recovered" now. Still a bit light headed when I stand up too fast, but I think this quick recovery must be another benefit of SIRTs or the "JUDDD Magic." I am exposed to so many patients every week that frequently attend sessions when there are quite sick and since juddding I'm almost immune! I wonder if there is any connection to IF and improved immunity or resistence- I used to get sick frequently. I was having ear infections a lot and my doc said that was pretty bad since I was diabetic then and the infection made my blood glucose really high.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #22

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Fast 5 never worked for me, but I understand it works for many. I was able to do Fast 5 but it didn't really help me lose.

Carly, I've been having the same light-headed feelings and we took my blood pressure and it was quite low. I've read and there's not much of a "treatment" for low blood pressure, except maybe having more salt. I'm just careful to sit on the side of the bed for a couple minutes before getting up these days. First thing in the morning is the only time I've had it. I don't fast like you do, I'm doing 500-900 calorie DDs and on UDs I eat all day long. So it may be the fasting that's getting to you. Take care of yourself, sweetie.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Luna,

I'm quite sure that it is low BP. I've suffered with it in the past, but the last 6yrs of being way overweight seemed to help me forget about that. At 200lbs I actually got my BP up to a whopping 120/80! Prior to being overweight I has trouble keeping it up to 90/60. I recall that high salt was the only thing that helped. I will make sure to have at least 1 mug of broth on every DD and add more salt to everything I eat for a while and see how I feel. I really need to be mindful of standing up s.l.o.w.l.y or else
I have so much energy most days that I just jump up and I can't do that right now or I may faint.

I found some pink Himalayan salt with chilli. It's really yummy so I'll work it in to a few things on UDs, but not for DW since her BP is high, but she's JUDDDing again so that is a very good thing!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carly, great news about DW returning to JUDDD!

You maintained during December didn't you? Did that involve shorter periods of fasting? Maybe your new skinny body is having trouble adjusting to WLM. Or maybe, as you say, you are fighting off a bug.

I am a huge believer in the magic of bone broth and the various, mineral rich sea salts. If this does not pass, doctor time! We can't have you passing out all over the place.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #25

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
I'm not sure, but I actually think the "cold" is stopping. 5 hours ago I was sneezing and congested and I almost feel totally "recovered" now. Still a bit light headed when I stand up too fast, but I think this quick recovery must be another benefit of SIRTs or the "JUDDD Magic." I am exposed to so many patients every week that frequently attend sessions when there are quite sick and since juddding I'm almost immune! I wonder if there is any connection to IF and improved immunity or resistence- I used to get sick frequently. I was having ear infections a lot and my doc said that was pretty bad since I was diabetic then and the infection made my blood glucose really high.
I also have low blood pressure and just make sure I have adequate salt. I do believe JUDDD helps with recovery or keeping us from getting sick in the first place. Keira and DH have been sick several times this year, and I haven't gotten sick once, except for my "big" illnesses which I don't think JUDDD can tackle (chilblains/Reynaud's & thyroid disease). I've had a couple of "I think I may be getting sick" moments which passed within hours it seems.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Well the cold is history. I had some salty snacks last night and am not as light headed this morning.

I took a maintenance break for December. From 12/5- 12/23 I did DDs only M,W,F, but still my regular low DDs. 12/23-12/31 I fasted every day till dinner and had bedtime snack so like a Fast 5 WOE. So December was a change for me.

I'm going to try to have a mug of broth every DD and on UD too if I feel light headed. I want to make bone broth, but that may need to wait till next weekend.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
This made me think. I've been juddding almost a year and I haven't been sick. Knock on wood!
Like Carly, I felt I might be getting a cold a couple times and then nothing. I was sick a lot before JUDDD.
Jbinme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

It's truly amazing I feel great today. Not a hint of the 5 hour cold I had yesterday. I use to get a cold that would turn into a sinus infection and then into broncitis. Now- one 5 hour cold in the last 10 mos.!
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DH brought a flu style bug home in November. He was miserably sick for two weeks, then merely sick for another three. I never even sneezed.

I used to get sick if I was in the same building with someone who was contagious.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mrs S
WOE: LCHF Vegetarian + Eat Stop Eat
Start Date: 8.13.12
I started IFing with JUDDD but found myself naturally fasting a lot on both UDs and DDs so I just started started experimenting with different windows to see how long I could go. A 5 or 6 hour feeding window is pretty easy for me to do consistently but some days I'll do 8. I combine IFing with HFLC and it's worked well for me and my schedule.
Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote