Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Potato fast! Who's with me??

I know many threads are started for meat/egg fasts etc. I would like have a thread for the potato fast I am doing, I hope others will join me, though I know any source of "extreme" dieting is hard to do on the weekends.

However, I will do 3-5 potato days coming up. Rules you ask??? (As I know most "fasts" have them)

1 tsp or less oil per potato (I plan to do only 1 tsp per day, we shall see how days 4/5 go)
No protein
No sour cream, butter, etc

These are OK (in my book)
Coffee
Tea
Chewing gum ( falls in to the no fat or protein)
Diet soda
Seasonings!!
A-1 ( my current fav with potatoes)
Mustards
Broth/bone broth

Some may have different modifiers to make it work for them, no prob. But this is what I will follow!
Anybody with me??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

First meal. 3.75 oz baby red. 1 T A-1.

Forgot to add, I personally will stick to my JUDDD rotations for the first 2 days and see if I can continue from there. Today is a DD.

Forgot to add starting weight of 135.7
Up almost a pound from yesterday's binge with homemade clam chowder and sourdough.

Last edited by Truffles; 01-03-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I just came off of one this past weekend and it went great I'll probably do one at the end of the month again. Good luck with your fast!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Maybe. I am thinking about a couple of potato days but haven't committed just yet. I'll be back .....
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
It will be interesting to see how this goes for you. Back when I was eating carbs, I found that potatoes had about twice the impact their calories said they should. I mean, if I either lost or maintained at some calorie level with no potatoes, adding potatoes in any quantity caused me to gain or not lose, even when the calories and carb levels were not changed. I would think these are the last food to pick for something like this, but it could just be my metabolism of course... they may be fine for you. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Ravenrose- I did low carb for 3.5 years about 7 years ago now. Worked great just maintaining for the 3 years... At my goal weight...
Fast forward to March 2011 started low carb again, lost a few lbs, then maintained forever....... 10-15 lbs above my goal weight...
Started JUDDD and the lbs came off soooo quickly I almost didn't believe it!!! Did low carb too in the beginning, then gradually added them back in without any weightloss issues, still need to work on portion control with carbs.
The DD Potato Hack is a thread started by Ouizoid, lots of info there about potatoes, and why we would choose to do the fast.

On another note... Just had another 2oz baby reds with A-1, going to the store to get malt vinegar today! And 2 cups of coffee with cinnamon and SF Salted Carmel Torani sweetener.

Last edited by Truffles; 01-03-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Hi Truffles, I am with you today is my second day, I am planning on doing it for two weeks.

I have blown it the last month so don't even want to weigh but need to take some serious action. Won't be able to show stats for a little while but keeping fingers crossed it works as well for me as some others here. Hope it does for you too.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I am with you Truffles! I started 2 days ago and am doing the potato hack but with some modifications this time. I did the hack for 5 days at the beginning of December and lost 6.8 pounds which I loved but I need the UD's to have a bit more variety so I don't feel too deprived. So UD will have a couple potato meals and one free meal to keep me happy. I have a trip planned next week so want to lose to my maintenance weight so that I can enjoy more food on my vacation.
My start weight was 153.8 which was 2 days ago, now at 151.4).

Last edited by Babsbabs; 01-03-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for joining. Will be motivating to hear how others are losing!! I am going to st maarten at the end of Jan. I plan to do the potato fast atleast until Monday pm. My younger brother turns 25 and we are celebrating his birthday at a Teppanyaki Grill on Tuesday. Then after I see results, maybe I will continue for a few days more.

I am looking forward to getting control of the hunger monster!!
Please post how you prepare the potatoes, I am VERY interested!!

I know Ouizoid posted a recipe where you thinly slice the potatoes in a casserole dish, then cover with salt and pepper, add 2cups of chicken broth and bake for 70min at 400. Apparently the top crisps and the bottom is creamy... Sounds great to me!

So far I have just been eating them cold. And I have had both Yukon and reds. I prefer the reds cold for sure!! I will get some russets today as I have not had them in a while. I imagine they would be best baked with malt vinegar
Share your recipes!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
I am also here. Day 2 for me and have not yet decided on how many days yet.

Babs r u hitting your calories on upday with the one meal??

I was starving yesterday but it seemed to calm down a bit today. Anyone else get hungry?? I need to remind myself after I eat to wait a bit and hunger usually stops. It's probably a spike in bs
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

I am planning to eat most of them cold as this helps with BS spikes I have read... I am not diabetic, but eating that many carbs and nothing else I am guessing would have some impact.

I am hoping to get to 1600 cal just on potatoes tomorrow.... It may require some planning! Just want to see how it goes...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffles View Post
Ravenrose- I did low carb for 3.5 years about 7 years ago now. Worked great just maintaining for the 3 years... At my goal weight...
Fast forward to March 2011 started low carb again, lost a few lbs, then maintained forever....... 10-15 lbs above my goal weight...
Started JUDDD and the lbs came off soooo quickly I almost didn't believe it!!! Did low carb too in the beginning, then gradually added them back in without any weightloss issues, still need to work on portion control with carbs.
The DD Potato Hack is a thread started by Ouizoid, lots of info there about potatoes, and why we would choose to do the fast.

On another note... Just had another 2oz baby reds with A-1, going to the store to get malt vinegar today! And 2 cups of coffee with cinnamon and SF Salted Carmel Torani sweetener.
Truffles, I've had the same experience with JUDDD! It's kinda scary how the pounds have just melted off me, never, never has this happened before and I've done some wild crazy diets, including complete fasting for days. Stayed heavier with the complete fasting, go figure. I love that I can eat to lose - wow

I've been following the potato hack and cooked some in the fire coals yesterday. Been doing so well on JUDDD, gonna stick with it, I think, for now. Love to hear ya'll's experience and plan to try it soon. . . .. maybe next week. . . . I adore potatos
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Wow truffles...that's a lot of potatoes. I did eat them cold today..o
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

hmmmmm..... That is a lot of potatoes... I will have to see where the day takes me.

Ps- I have the day off today, so plan to see me here a LOT today
And for some reason I have lots of energy!!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Sorry I can't contribute any recipes because I just eat them cold with malt vinegar and salt. I did just eat some sliced thin and sprinkled with salt and baked them until they were very done and ate them cold which was a nice change. But I really want this to work and don't want to mess with it too much.

I did buy a few large sweet potatoes but worried they may not work for me but will see how it goes because I would love to have them..

Last edited by WJS; 01-03-2013 at 12:39 PM..
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I have a similar story regarding potatoes...never dreamed I could eat them, by themselves and ever lose a pound...but it happens every time I do a dd with potatoes...in reading different people's experiences, I am starting to conclude that If my metabolism was pretty much ruined, I think it was...by following Juddd for about a month, then doing the potato dd...somehow my body is processing some carbs differently..I have been so surprised by it, especially surprised that I'm still losing weight...I'm still getting over a bug, but I have been trying to stay on rotation..Im so thankful for coming across this place..I would still be living without hope, if I hadn't come here.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I am on Day 3 of a Potato Hack today.

On Tuesday I weighed in at 210.2. Brekkie was coffee w/ 2T hwc. Lunch was 12 oz baby red potatos, cold w/ malt vinegar and salt. Dinner was 6 oz baked potato mashed up with chicken broth. 555 total calories.

Yesterday I weighed 205.2. Brekkie was the same coffee w/ hwc. Lunch was 14 oz potatoes mashed w/ broth. Dinner was 6 oz shredded potatos, dry-fried with salt & pepper. 605 total calories.

This morning I weighed 203.4. In an attempt to up my calories, I had 4T hwc with my coffee. I had a morning snack of 1/4 cup of rice and a clementine tangerine. Lunch was 14 oz potatoes mashed w/ broth. Afternoon snack was another coffee like this morning. Dinner later will (hopefully) be 12 oz of potatoes smashed with broth. That will only bring me to a total of 1145 calories.

It's hard to eat lots of calories in potatoes. The lunches I have been having are enormous, but only cost me 350 calories. So, I applaud those of you who can eat more. I just can't do it.

Also, I have to say that I'm spacing out my hwc (which obviously is full of fat) with my potato meals by about 4 hours so that I'm not still processing the fat when I start in on my potatoes. I also added the tangerine because I needed something, and it has no fat and less than a gram of protein. I added the rice at work today because I thought I remembered reading on the potato hack board that rice could also be used, but potatoes are better.

I told myself that I would do 4 days of the hack. However, if I can't get in more calories tomorrow, I'll end my hack early and have a bigger dinner. Besides, my weight has been dropping off like mad these first two days. I know that it's mostly water since I was just coming off of TOM and had been eating poorly before I started, but still...

I'll come back and post throughout my hack. Best of luck to the rest of you hackers!!

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I lost 7 pounds of carb bloat from the holidays in 3 days of Tater fast last week. And, amazingly, definite signs of ketosis--metal mouth, lack of interest in food, no appetite etc. At this point, potatoes are in my daily diet and I have never ever felt better. It is the thing that was missing on lowcarb. Of course I have found lovely ways to eat them with a minimum of fat (my favorite is bone broth and 2 Tbs salsa con queso)--and the fat keeps dropping off. By the way--that potato prep that Truffles mentions (thin sliced with 2 cups broth) is TO die for. I actually haven't prepared that one since, because it is the only prep so far that made me crave more and more.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I lost 7 pounds of carb bloat from the holidays in 3 days of Tater fast last week. And, amazingly, definite signs of ketosis--metal mouth, lack of interest in food, no appetite etc. At this point, potatoes are in my daily diet and I have never ever felt better. It is the thing that was missing on lowcarb. Of course I have found lovely ways to eat them with a minimum of fat (my favorite is bone broth and 2 Tbs salsa con queso)--and the fat keeps dropping off. By the way--that potato prep that Truffles mentions (thin sliced with 2 cups broth) is TO die for. I actually haven't prepared that one since, because it is the only prep so far that made me crave more and more.
Well if that's the case... Maybe I will get in my UD calories tomorrow (I don't want to gorge myself either...)

Preheating the oven as we speak. Might add some celery flake or onion powder.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Btw, went to the store today in search of purple potatoes, and did not find a one!! I'm going to call over to the health food store in town and see if they have any, just out of plain curiosity to see what they taste like. If they do have them, I hope they don't cost an arm and a leg!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Truffles- it is not all that interesting how I prepare my potatoes. I just boil a 5 pound bag of which ever ones I am trying and stick them in the fridge. I eat them with salt and malt vinegar and I reheat them in the microwave. I am not a fan of them cold. I actually don't really care if they are unappealing as I just want to be full, lose weight and eat something else
My DH started the hack yesterday and he is already coming up with tons of ideas on how to make them more appealing. I might start gaining on the hack!

JKat- no I am not hitting my UD calories. I am closer with the two potato meals and the regular dinner but still coming in at about 300 cals short plus I run so net calories are really too low. I am going to mix in more regular meals on my UD to get a little closer. I am looking at this as a very temporary way of eating as I don't want to lose any metabolic improvements that I have gained from following JUDDD. I just can't resist the fast weight loss, especially being so close to goal I find these pounds really difficult ordinarily to lose.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

I have eaten cold potatoes with A1, and with a smear of champagne dill mustard. Tried with malt vinegar and salt, not my fav with the Yukon and reds, but will try with a fresh baked russet tomorrow.
Tried baking them in the chicken broth, pretty good and creamy. I added too much pepper! Oops! The top crispy ones I dipped in SF ketchup. Nice for a change of pace as well.

I am at 435 cal for today. Minimal added from a1 and coffee. I am drinking peppermint green tea at the moment. Not feeling too bad and will allow myself up to 600 for the day. But I really don't think I'll need it.

Also, dusted off my treadmill and did 45 min on incline. Felt pretty good!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Yuck woke up feeling sick today. If I am going to continue this I have to do something else besides cold potatoes.

Truffles dusting off that treadmill. Keep us updated on your upday pot day goes and how u approached it. I tried tried it once and did ident get higher than 1200. I did not do anything with pot and maybe if I made some soup or something I could get up there.

Ouzoid can u explain a bit more what u are doing please...

Babs I am interested to see how this works for you. I too am close to goal and just can't get these last pounds off.

Last edited by JKat; 01-04-2013 at 03:34 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #24
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I've been busy as a bee but reading along with you all
I did have one issue with the potato day - even though I lost the bloat, I was finding my blood sugar was way too low, crashing even, on days when I did just potatoes.
It never got above 100, but dropped into the 50s a few times.
I did find that adding 1tsp evoo, macadamia oil or coconut oil to each meal helped that quite a lot.
I was really amazed at how just 2 days of this really takes care of bloating.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dottie--a number of people use 1 tsp of oil for each large potato without compromising the process--

JKat--I am alternating potato only days with days where I have taters for breakfast and lunch and then a paleo dinner (meat and veg). I feel so much better with potatoes in my diet. The biggest change, other than more energy for working out, is the complete absence of cravings for sweets. It is remarkable, after feeling like such a failure for so long on LC. Not only do I not crave sweets, but my appetite is regulated. Once I have had enough food, I don't keep eating. I think I am getting some essential nutrient I have been missing! Additionally, I feel like I am in ketosis much of the time--maybe even more than I ever did eating LC.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Ouiziod. One more ?? When you say you have potato for breakfast and lunch how oz or calories are you eating?? Do u hit your Judd upday numbers?? On the day you add in meat/veggie?? Or are you not rotating at all??
Sorry for all the questions I am trying to figure what would be best for me. Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Dottie--a number of people use 1 tsp of oil for each large potato without compromising the process--

JKat--I am alternating potato only days with days where I have taters for breakfast and lunch and then a paleo dinner (meat and veg). I feel so much better with potatoes in my diet. The biggest change, other than more energy for working out, is the complete absence of cravings for sweets. It is remarkable, after feeling like such a failure for so long on LC. Not only do I not crave sweets, but my appetite is regulated. Once I have had enough food, I don't keep eating. I think I am getting some essential nutrient I have been missing! Additionally, I feel like I am in ketosis much of the time--maybe even more than I ever did eating LC.
It sounds like I am falling into a similar pattern as you. It is working well and love that I am never hungry. I never would have guessed in a million years (especially after decades of LC) that potatoes would be the answer for me. Thanks again for posting your findings!

Today is the start of day 4 of my modified potato hack and I am down 3.8 pounds. Started at 153.8 and am now 150.0. 6 days away from my mini vacation so hoping to stick with this a few more days.

JKat- sorry to hear you are feeling sick this morning. Adi had some issues with feeling sick and it was brought up by SoHappy to not eat any that look green under the skin. Hope you find some ways to eat the potatoes that you like. I tried garlic hot sauce last night and that was good.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Weigh-in Time

On Wed morning I weighed 134.8, then gorged on homemade clam chowder and sourdough bread...
Thursday 135.7, has been my biggest jump ever
Today, Friday morning 133.3

That has been my biggest drop ever!!!

Yesterday I ate 535 cal. Today I will shoot for 1535 cal. But will not "force it"

Started the day with 14 oz mix of russet and baby red hashbrowns with 2 T SF ketchup.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

honey--I'm really not rotating at all now--I decided I needed to be less obsessive about everything. At one point I weighed a days worth of potatoes, so I know approximately the calories I am eating, but I am really really trying to eat to satisfaction only. I sort of do rotations only because I have a social life, and after a night out, I often feel the need for a DD, but at this point, my DD's are a combination of IF and potatoes. My other days, I eat potatoes for two meals (at 10 and at 2pm) and a protein/veg dinner at 6. I have a very impaired metabolism so although I am losing, it is probably much much slower than most here would prefer, but to me that is an ok tradeoff for having NO compulsive thoughts or eating behaviors.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Babsbabs- we must have posted at the same time. Congrats on the loss!! I too am going on vacation end of jan. hope we both can make our goals!!