Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #91
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I just read all 100+ pages at *** () and am ending day #1 of my potato hack.

I made hash browns for breakfast in the George Foreman grill with a little SF ketchup. I steamed a big pot of reds in the morning and squashed 5 smallish ones a little (similar to a Pioneer Woman recipe minus the oil) and broiled them until crisp on top. For dinner I made potato soup with ff chicken broth and a little celery & onion. I snacked on a couple more reds cold throughout the day with salt. I drank coffee, tea, water and diet soda. If I needed a little oil I used an olive oil spray I bought at Trader Joe's.

All in all I wound up at 710 calories and 171 carbs. it is almost 9:00 and I am Not. Hungry. At. All. If I got a peckish throughout the day I ate and felt far more full and satisfied than I would normally on that number of calories.

I feel fine, but DH joined me and he says he feels weak and sluggish and isn't planning another day.

We'll see what the scale says tomorrow.
Me again.

I slept well last night (I usually do, but I have heard several potato hackers say they don't) and awoke this morning to some pretty serious water retention. I didn't feel like I was in ketosis before, but who knows. I did eat a lot of salt yesterday, but I usually do. I am barely able to get my rings on.

That kind of swelling is usually worth 3 lbs or so, but the scale is exactly the same as yesterday. I was 214.0 yesterday and am 214.0 today.

I feel good, plenty of energy this morning and I'm not really hungry. Potatoes still "sound good" and I think I'll make some hash browns for breakfast. If nothing else, it will make the children happy (they are still on vacation).

I am going to give at least another day and see what happens.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/151/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
I hope the scale rewards you tomorrow Gina! I think that there is something to the water bloat thing. I had the same reaction a few times and then 8 hours later my rings would be so lose they would be falling off.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Gina--bloating on the 2nd or 3rd day of a PF seems to be what happens--I think it is a sign of the fat cells giving up the ghost!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

I think you are right Quizoid. I found there were times my whole body felt that way ( kind of bloated and squishy) and the next morning there would be a big weight drop. I have never had that before.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #95
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I hope the scale rewards you tomorrow Gina! I think that there is something to the water bloat thing. I had the same reaction a few times and then 8 hours later my rings would be so lose they would be falling off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Gina--bloating on the 2nd or 3rd day of a PF seems to be what happens--I think it is a sign of the fat cells giving up the ghost!
Thanks for the encouragement. I sure hope you gals are right.

I have a busy day ahead of me as I am having surgery on my achilles tomorrow. I took today off too to get the house in order, pick up some crutches and a large pile of books. I guess I'll cook some potatoes too. I'll only be able to eat what someone brings me, no mindless wandering through the kitchen looking for snacks.

"Three cold reds and the salt shaker!"
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Day 3 for me today. Scale was down another 1.4 for a total of 2.8 over 2 days. So my UD breakfast yesterday didn't seem to hinder things.

A big BONUS for me is I have had a BM each day. Usually when I am strict JUDDDing I only go 2-3 times per week. If this keeps up I think I will seriously consider PDDs ongoing.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Textemale
Stats: 183.4/168/160
WOE: JUDDD & Fast 5, previously LC
Start Date: LC 10/20/12 JUDDD 12/26/12 Restarted Juddd 1/29/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I sure hope you gals are right.

I have a busy day ahead of me as I am having surgery on my achilles tomorrow. I took today off too to get the house in order, pick up some crutches and a large pile of books. I guess I'll cook some potatoes too. I'll only be able to eat what someone brings me, no mindless wandering through the kitchen looking for snacks.

"Three cold reds and the salt shaker!"
Good luck with your surgery tomorrow Gina. Having a supply of boiled red taters and the salt shaker handy will surely make your mealtime during down time much easier, plus you'll more than likely come through your recovery with a nice loss on the scales too!

Good luck and take care of yourself..

~Pat
Textemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Ooooh - so hoping for the bloating and squishy feeling now!!!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dawn007
Stats: 163/164/148
WOE: Low Carb/ JUDDD
Start Date: January 2007
Day two yesterday and I lost an unbelievable 2 pounds
154 1/5
150.4 1/6 -3.6
148.4 1/7 -2

I am down 5.6 in two days! Oh my! I had a hard time yesterday and was going to give up today and begin the Judd Rotation. I think I will hang in for day 3 today and that will be it for me. I am doing the potatoes only, no calorie counting at all. Just eating them when hungry, salt, pepper and vinegar. I found out that my seasoned salt has sugar in it. Darn!

I became nauseated yesterday afternoon a little while after eating potatoes. I had incredible hunger last night and ate 3 more potatoes. I still lost. I can see it is decreasing. I had bad gas last night too. Really bad, I ran the dogs out of the room, and DH went to the bedroom to watch TV.

I am off now to go cook potatoes. DH ran to the store last night and came back with another 10 pounds! I can't eat 10 pounds. After doing this, is was pleasant the first day and half way through day 2. Now I am sick of them. I hope today things change to encourage me to stick with it all day. If he gave me 20# of potatoes and said "you can't have real food until these are gone", I think I would just lay down and die.

Babs you are doing great! Your loss is what the statistics say. So you are right on. Why am I losing more? I know, I had more Holiday fat! I agree, this is a great Holiday buster each year.

Dawn
Dawn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #100
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Truffles
Stats: 142/125/128 JUDDD
WOE: LC&JUDDD
Start Date: 3/11 LC - 1/12 LC/JUDDD
Babs those are great steady results! Key in keeping it off I hear!

I weighed in at 132.3 today .5 up after my first regular UD and I didn't go over my cal. I am doing a potato dd today.

Stop if TMI, but, yesterday everything I ate ran "straight through me" I started the day with a Fat Free Greek yogurt and then lunch of sautéed spinach, tomato, onion, garlic and some white wine. Nothing crazy, but couldn't keep anything in! Was starting to get worried then by dinner time everything was ok. Not sure what caused this, stomach scared of other food besides potatoes?? Either way I am doing potatoes today and will do a regular UD tomorrow. I am interested to see if the weight stays off.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

dawn--peel the potatoes--the gas seems to be related to eating the skins--
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Quizoid: Oh thanks, I thought that but I wasn't sure. I'll peel them tonight. I just sliced some for brunch on a mandolin slicer and baked them in the oven for potato chips! I am sitting here with a huge pile off two russets, that I don't have to count the calories on. I left the skins on these. Tonight I will remove them and the gas too.

Thanks a lot!
Dawn
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Dawn- I can't believe your DH went out and bought you another bag of potatoes after last night!he must be very understanding. I have no idea why you are dropping weight so quickly on this. I think I would have had a bigger drop after the second day if I hadn't mixed in other foods.
Truffles you are so right that it will be keeping it off that will be the key. Especially on vacation. That is good that you only bounced up a little after your UD. I know the last time I went off the potato hack I went a overboard with eating again, but it was Christmas and I am better prepared this time so I am optimistic that I will do better.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Babs- I guess DH likes me eating potatoes? He did eat a few of the chips I just ate. I am sticking strictly to the plan, not even a breath mint during this. Water and coffee with FF half & half. As little salt as I can stand. Eating till no longer hungry. All that matters is that it is working for us! This is awesome and when I come off this, I am going to my calorie chart and writing down everything for an UD. I'll stick to my calories like glue for awhile. I don't want to wake up with all the weight back on.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #105
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Hi, struggling because I have still seen no change and have stuck with it completely for six days now. Are all of you on the PH doing rotations or eating until full?
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

I am not doing JUDDD rotations on the PH but am eating until full. This works out to a maximum of 9 medium potatoes a day and lots of cider vinegar and salt. Also hot sauce for dinner. I think I am eating under 800 cals a day plus I run every 2nd day so no surprise that I am dropping weight. I think my metabolism was working well with all the UUAD's I did through Christmas so maybe that is a factor. Usually it takes about a week for my metabolism to slow down when I do low calorie. That is part of my reason to only do the hack for one week. Plus I am tired of potatoes. Was JUDDD working for you?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #107
WJS
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: WJS
Stats: 165/136/125 Height 5.5"
WOE: Trying HDE
Start Date: August 27, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
I am not doing JUDDD rotations on the PH but am eating until full. This works out to a maximum of 9 medium potatoes a day and lots of cider vinegar and salt. Also hot sauce for dinner. I think I am eating under 800 cals a day plus I run every 2nd day so no surprise that I am dropping weight. I think my metabolism was working well with all the UUAD's I did through Christmas so maybe that is a factor. Usually it takes about a week for my metabolism to slow down when I do low calorie. That is part of my reason to only do the hack for one week. Plus I am tired of potatoes. Was JUDDD working for you?
Babsbabs, that is very interesting. Well done again.

I actually lost weight on Dukan and then turned to JUDDD. I didn't lose weight but maintained. However, I am a binger so I have a serious problem with UDs on JUDDD. However, over the last month I was very bad and then over Christmas missed some DDs and the weight has piled on. No such luck for me that my UUADs helped my metabolism. Hence the reason I wanted to do the PH for two weeks.

I am very disappointed that it hasn't worked for me. Someone mentioned on the *** forum that perhaps it is the rotations that are the problem and perhaps I should eat until full. But I know there have been quite a few successes here doing the PH with JUDDD.
WJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
Well, here is something weird for your knowledge base:
I decided to try the PH yesterday.
I made it till 5PM with just cold Yukon Gold boiled potatoes. Then I just decided it was NOT for me. I need something hot. I had nothing else thawed so I heated 3 of the taters in the microwave, added butter (lots) and sour cream and felt very satisfied after eating that except I was upset as I considered it a binge reaction to feeling deprived (I could have had hot broth, ya know).
So this morning I was shocked to see the scale read 3.4 pds lighter than yesterday morning.
Now I am rethinking this whole thing; leaning toward one potato day per week and eating them hot vs. cold. No butter or sour cream. Still thinking.
Just some empirical evidence for you guys.
*shakes head*

edit to add: I had about 6 smallish YG taters till 5 PM then 3 larger ones heated up with the butter and sour cream. The reason I consider it a binge is that I really wasn't hungry. I just wasn't satisfied and was craving something hot.......or maybe I was craving butter and sour cream? I am crazy.
It is time.

Quote from SoHappy: I realized the world would never run out of goodies. I could have them forever. I didn't have to eat them every day, every Up Day, or even every week anymore.

Last edited by Patkid; 01-07-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

I don't have any ideas either WJS.sorry it isn't working for you. I know first hand how frustrating it is to be following something and not getting the results. It does seem there are a few different body types out there. I know when I was reading on *** there was a guy who did a meat/fat fast and he got better results than he did on his modified potato diet(he ate egg whites and tuna for protein during his potato hack.) Maybe some people lose better on other foods? I hope you figure it out. I know I tried high fat, low carb and had a hard time losing. You are not alone in having binge problems over Christmas.
That is great Patkid! I would love to add sour cream to some of these taters, not sure I would have the same results.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #110
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Pat I think I read somewhere that reheating the potatoes is different to just cooking and eating hot...

Can't possibly dig through the threads to find it though. Maybe one of the experts will comment.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJS View Post
Hi, struggling because I have still seen no change and have stuck with it completely for six days now. Are all of you on the PH doing rotations or eating until full?
Yesterday was my first venture into potato land and I did manage to stay just below my DD calories. I actually planned on eating to hunger, but my four measly 3 ounce potatoes really did seem to do the trick for me! I was down 1.2 pounds this morning. I plan on visiting taterland tomorrow. too.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Pat I think I read somewhere that reheating the potatoes is different to just cooking and eating hot...

Can't possibly dig through the threads to find it though. Maybe one of the experts will comment.
For what it's worth - I am sure I've read the same thing. Sorry I can't recall the source.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
For what it's worth - I am sure I've read the same thing. Sorry I can't recall the source.
Me too.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

I am done my 7 days of the potato hack. I am happy I tried it. It did suppress appetite and it got rid of my holiday weight gain in record time. I am looking forward to see if the weight remains gone when I get back to JUDDD and then for my trip.
01/01 PDD 153.8
01/02 UD 150.4
01/03 PDD 151.4 these potato DD's are really keeping my appetite down
01/04 MD 150.0 had 3 potato meals
01/05 MD 149.4
01/06 MD 149.0 TOM
01/07 MD 148
01/08 UD 147.8 I am happy with this and am heading back to JUDDD and to an UD!

My weight loss was 6 pounds in 7 days of eating potatoes. Sounds close to what was found by others doing the hack for similar periods. Thanks Truffles for starting this smaller thread for those on the fast.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Day one of PD experiment yielded a 3.2 pound loss!! This is after an UD so I would normally expect a 2 pound decrease so a nice 1.2 pound surprise. I ate about 500 calories of yukon golds and baby reds with malt vinegar spices and a small amount of SF ketchup. I have been hovering around the same weight and just finished TOM so I might have been due for a whoosh but will continue on today to see what tomorrow bring. Shooting for 1500 cals today starting with small russets (love the steam in bags - so convenient for work!) sprinkled with FF popcorn seasoning (white cheddar) and lots of pepper. Thinking of french fries tonight - yum. Can we use sweet potatoes?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
Day one of PD experiment yielded a 3.2 pound loss!! This is after an UD so I would normally expect a 2 pound decrease so a nice 1.2 pound surprise. I ate about 500 calories of yukon golds and baby reds with malt vinegar spices and a small amount of SF ketchup. I have been hovering around the same weight and just finished TOM so I might have been due for a whoosh but will continue on today to see what tomorrow bring. Shooting for 1500 cals today starting with small russets (love the steam in bags - so convenient for work!) sprinkled with FF popcorn seasoning (white cheddar) and lots of pepper. Thinking of french fries tonight - yum. Can we use sweet potatoes?
Are the french fries a frozen kind that don't have much fat?
Or some people are able to add a certain amount of fat, I've seen.

Because you guys' weight loss is so great - the french fries would just push me over the edge of not being able to stop myself from doing this!
It's completely contradictory to my NK way of eating right now... which also has appetite suppression as a huge plus for me.

I'm lurking here and following, but could not do this until I get back from a fairly long trip (leaving next week).
Thanks for letting me lurk and ask questions!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy--here is what I think you could expect doing the potato fast:

The first day or so, wild hunger, fluctuating blood sugar--"detox" symptoms. 2nd or 3rd day, appetite suppression, but also bloating and feeling puffy (fat cells deflating and filling with water instead), followed by a whoosh. after the 2nd or 3rd day, a kind of appetite suppression, calm, elimination of cravings--and a feeling of ketosis--metal mouth, peeing frequently, all the signs. At least, this is my scenario after experiencing it myself and reading all the threads here and on other forums.

I say go for it, be patient, give it 5-7 days, and remember, you can always go back to what you are doing now. The most wonderful thing for me has been the absence of cravings for carby foods, which never really went away on LC. Even if I had appetite suppression, perhaps the awareness that I wasn't eating carbs made me crave. Something very different here for me. Now, even when I am not doing the fast, I still eat potatoes. They really are like prozac for me!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Judy--here is what I think you could expect doing the potato fast:

The first day or so, wild hunger, fluctuating blood sugar--"detox" symptoms. 2nd or 3rd day, appetite suppression, but also bloating and feeling puffy (fat cells deflating and filling with water instead), followed by a whoosh. after the 2nd or 3rd day, a kind of appetite suppression, calm, elimination of cravings--and a feeling of ketosis--metal mouth, peeing frequently, all the signs. At least, this is my scenario after experiencing it myself and reading all the threads here and on other forums.

I say go for it, be patient, give it 5-7 days, and remember, you can always go back to what you are doing now. The most wonderful thing for me has been the absence of cravings for carby foods, which never really went away on LC. Even if I had appetite suppression, perhaps the awareness that I wasn't eating carbs made me crave. Something very different here for me. Now, even when I am not doing the fast, I still eat potatoes. They really are like prozac for me!

Like prozac? I've already bought the potato hack, stop making it so attractive!

I was shocked at how adding in high fat (for me) stopped my carby food craving. I have become aware it simply doesn't work that way for everybody - it does not stop a lot of people from feeling "hungry" and makes a lot of people gain.

So if I could jump over to this and then go back to NK, I'm excited. And there really is something to be said for shaking up the way we're eating, I think. That's certainly a valid line of thinking, I hope and the basis for JUDDD and carb-cycling, and other kinds of intermittent fasting.

Honestly - thank you for your attention to these threads (and to me).

I'm on board with this, just need to get my trip out of the way.

Sincerely,
Future Excited Potato Faster
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

I lost .2 on day 3! I am done with potatoes and have lost 5.8 pounds in 3 days. It was great. I am on to JUDDD with an UD today. I need to get the SIRT1 going again.

I think I will have 1 potato day a week after I get the SIRT1 going until I reach goal. This has been great!

For me I had a big whoosh the first day and it began tapering off for me. I still have nearly 10 pounds of potatoes left.

154 1/5
150.4 1/6 -3.6
148.4 1/7 -2
148.2 1/8 .2
Total: for 3 days 5.8

Dawn
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn007 View Post
I lost .2 on day 3! I am done with potatoes and have lost 5.8 pounds in 3 days. It was great. I am on to JUDDD with an UD today. I need to get the SIRT1 going again.

I think I will have 1 potato day a week after I get the SIRT1 going until I reach goal. This has been great!

For me I had a big whoosh the first day and it began tapering off for me. I still have nearly 10 pounds of potatoes left.

154 1/5
150.4 1/6 -3.6
148.4 1/7 -2
148.2 1/8 .2
Total: for 3 days 5.8

Dawn
Many congratulations!!!