Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Lil Donna
Stats: 165.2 (highest) 150.2 (11/30/13)
WOE: LC
Start Date: Low carb started again on 11/14/13
Up Day troubles. Can someone help me?

I have been doing JUDDD my way for a few months and have maintained. I have not been counting UD's because it is just so hard for me. I don't know why I can't do it but I just can't. I do better at writing it down than an app or program. I can do DD's because I have the same thing. Half sandwich, popcorn, salad and maybe tuna.

I want to eat healthy on my UP DAYS but find I eat everything I can find.

I am suppose to be at 1,628 calories for my up days. I don't do gourmet foods or anything with more than 3 ingredients but I am having a hard time finding things I enjoy eating on my updays that keep me within that limit. I think I do so well on my DD's because I am fully satisfied on my UD's.

I find I eat out a lot on my UD's and I want to put a stop to that too due to money and also not knowing what the calorie content is.

Is there anyone who eats around that calorie count and wouldn't mind posting their menu? I am looking for healthy foods but also satisfying foods.
Thanks!
Lil Donna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
It may help to start with packaged things. There are some meals that are decent in the frozen section from PF Chang's, Friday's and others. The calories and serving sizes are on the package so that may be a way to start for the first week or 2 so that you see that you can have a variety of yummy foods and feel satisfied while knowing what the calorie amounts are. Maybe that will ease you into counting. Honestly, I don't count on UDs, but I haven't really had trouble over eating while awake. So, if a day at a time I can control the sleepwalk eating I seem to be OK at eating "till satisfied" on UD. In the beginning when I thought I would have to count I got yummy yogurts for lunches that were rich and had toppings, but calorie count right on the container. I like to eat only 1x on DDs so I don't have to count much. I frequently don't eat till dinner on UD either so if you eat maybe 2 meals it wouldn't feel like you were counting all day

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
It may help to start with packaged things. There are some meals that are decent in the frozen section from PF Chang's, Friday's and others. The calories and serving sizes are on the package so that may be a way to start for the first week or 2 so that you see that you can have a variety of yummy foods and feel satisfied while knowing what the calorie amounts are. Maybe that will ease you into counting. Honestly, I don't count on UDs, but I haven't really had trouble over eating while awake. So, if a day at a time I can control the sleepwalk eating I seem to be OK at eating "till satisfied" on UD. In the beginning when I thought I would have to count I got yummy yogurts for lunches that were rich and had toppings, but calorie count right on the container. I like to eat only 1x on DDs so I don't have to count much. I frequently don't eat till dinner on UD either so if you eat maybe 2 meals it wouldn't feel like you were counting all day
I'm trying this with my next few UDs-I also don't count them and lately they've all become UUADs I grabbed some frozen entrees at Aldi yesterday, so we'll see if that helps
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
I found that I can stick to my calorie goals without counting if I eat 3 square meals (healthier ie. lots of veggies, lean meat etc) and maybe 1 snack in between lunch and dinner. As well as keeping 2 out of the 3 meals lower carbs.

If I'm snacking all day ...or just putting whatever I want in my mouth, it almost always turns into an UUAD -- if I am counting or not.
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Donna, My numbers are 1500/300. I am supposed to be 1600, but found that I was stalling and thought it may be time for me to lower the number, I will generally hit the 1600 a few UD each week.

I don't like to cook much, so I make a few meals every weekend and then eat that during the week. I can't do the frozen dinners. I have tried because it truly is the easiest way, but I found out that I end up giving them away, or taking the frozen dinners to my office and then never heat them up. I love bone broth and soup. I also love late breakfast, no lunch and then good dinner. I don't snack and haven't for a while. I keep olives, walnuts, & mac nuts for filling in when my calorie numbers are too low by dinner.

Some of my fav UD meals are Roast w/taters, carrots, & green beans. Tilapia w/ steamed brocolli & spinach. Grilled shrimp w/ sweet potato & salad. Roasted Turkey w/ asparagus, mashed potato & gravy. I to eat a couple of squares of Dk Choc w/ sea salt or walnuts for desert.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One other new find for me is that chicken bone broth is an excellent filler for DD and UD. If you see that you have already exceeded your numbers for DD, drinking a bit of broth is very filling and satiating. I can't remember who it was that said they do this regularly, it may be Kissa, but it works like a charm.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Donna View Post
I have been doing JUDDD my way for a few months and have maintained. I have not been counting UD's because it is just so hard for me. I don't know why I can't do it but I just can't. I do better at writing it down than an app or program. I can do DD's because I have the same thing. Half sandwich, popcorn, salad and maybe tuna.

I am suppose to be at 1,628 calories for my up days. I don't do gourmet foods or anything with more than 3 ingredients but I am having a hard time finding things I enjoy eating on my updays that keep me within that limit. I think I do so well on my DD's because I am fully satisfied on my UD's.

I find I eat out a lot on my UD's and I want to put a stop to that too due to money and also not knowing what the calorie content is.

Is there anyone who eats around that calorie count and wouldn't mind posting their menu? I am looking for healthy foods but also satisfying foods.
Thanks!
Hi Donna--I think the key to reining in the eating machine on up days is finding out what your definition of "satisfying food" is. Are we talking non-stop carb/fat/junkfood fest? Gnawing through a side of beef? Pasta, bread, and more pasta plus bread for dessert? There are so many, many reasons, biological, metabolic and emotional that can go into feeling out of control of eating. There are many excellent books about how various foods and food groups affect appetite and eating control. But you may be better off identifying what you specifically experience--which foods trigger the "must keep eating even though I'm full" behavior? Which foods do you find most satiating and you can stop when full? Are you able to tell when you are physically full, and the eating is now due to something else? We are all scientists with a test sample of one, ourselves...there's no substitute for paying attention and gathering that valuable information, so you can make a plan with a reasonable chance of success. What works for me won't necessarily work for you, or anybody BUT me. While the lovely folks here have tons of information and experience, it may be more efficient to first listen to yourself...who knows you better than you do?
hoping you find your way with minimum research,
--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
If you are not into cooking, then prepackaged foods can be a big help.

As Patty says pay attention to your hunger levels a few hours after a meal - some foods may trigger hunger, others may be very satiating...look for the second, avoid the first. (I was hungry an hour after dinner the other night, thought about what I had eaten and what would best satisfy me, DH almost perished laughing when I announced "I think I need some more cole slaw". But, I was right - chips or bread or sweets or even protein would have tasted good but not tamed my hunger beast. Two tablespoons of slaw took care of it.)

Also, when you eat, work on recognizing when you are full. It can be really hard to judge that, but with practice it can be learned.

Try counting calories one UD/week. That will help. Hopefully you can get used to that then expand to more UDs.

I find I do best (and enjoy them more) if I treat UUADs as 'special occasions' (not infrequent special occasions, but not every UD) and train myself to count most of the time.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Hi lil donna!

My two biggies on UDs are going out to eat and alcohol. It is tough to manage, but now for the most part (always times when I just can't do it...) when I am out I try to eat half. Whatever it is, half only. I try to split with someone or I leave it or I take it home and eat it next UD or for dinner if I am out for lunch. My mind worries that it won't be "enough", but it almost always ends up being just right.

Are you drinking alcohol? I love wine with dinner. Two glasses max for me on an UD or I simply don't have any at all. For me drinking calories can be dangerous when I am around the pantry. :-) Less tipsy means I don't indulge in my "whimsical" eating as much.

I try to stay mindful on UD. I eat what I want and that means fast food or pancakes or candy or kettlecorn or coffee with heavy cream...but I try to pay attention. Is it as good as I want it to be? Am I eating it just because I can't have it on a DD? Does the fourth, 10th, 20th bite taste as good as the first or second or third? If the answer to any of these questions are no, I stop eating, push it away and (usually) don't go back for more.

Last thing - this whole cockamamie idea of "eat until you are satisfied". What the heck does that mean? Often I cannot tell if I am satisfied until my pants pop. So, in the past satisfied = stuffed. That can't be for real, right? I've learned to manage my meals a little bit better. First, I take a smaller portion than I used to. It often doesn't LOOK like a satisfying meal, but usually it is plenty of food. Then I also take breaks. I stop and consider - am I really feeling hungry or do I just WANT to continue getting the physical pleasure of eating. I mean, the taste of certain foods or the texture of how different foods feel can be very pleasurable. So, sometimes I wait a few minutes and sometimes an hour or more before I decide. Often that means a nice dessert or maybe it will be more dinner (or lunch or breakfast...), and sometimes I just forget that I was thinking about more food and move on to a TV show or a book or playing Angry Birds - and then it's time for bed. :-)

There is a lot of great stuff in this thread so far - I hope some of it resonates with you and you can make your JUDDDD journey that much more successful!!
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I don't mind cooking. I just hate the dishes and the cleaning up.
I think I need a new state of mind because we all do not eat very healthy in this house anymore and that needs to change.

We (DH&I) did low carb for YEARS! I have grilled chicken breasts and hamburger patties so many times, too many to count. Then we did HCG. I think with the allowance of UD calories, I just kind of went crazy. Then hearing some people didn't even count UD's, I really went crazy. Think frozen pizzas, eating fried foods at restaurants, ICE CREAM! Lots of Ice Cream! Doughnuts! McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell. Anything and everything I haven't eaten in 10 years was all of a sudden allowable and I wasn't gaining weight!

It is now time to stop the craziness and eat better and lose this last 20 lbs. (probably 30 but I'm not too crazy). I'm eating that crap, my kids are eating that crap too.

I think going back to chicken breasts and hamburger patties may be a start. More protein definitely. More veggies too. Fruit use to be so forbidden and I think I need to bring that back into the house too.

I guess at this point, I just need ideas of simple things to make for the family.
Protein, green beans and a salad gets so boring so fast.

I've never eaten those frozen meals. They just don't look appetizing. I guess when I say "satisfying" I mean "appetizing." I can't get myself to eat a rice cake because to me, I'd rather eat nothing. It just does nothing for me. But if you put a 1/2 gallon of chocolate chip ice cream in front of me, it could easily be gone in about an hour.

I'm hopeless.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Hopeless, you are not! Look how much you have lost already!

But yes, healthy is good. No harm in all that junk food now and again, but especially with children some good old fashioned 'boring' food is wise.

As for fruit, I am not good about eating as much as I should myself. But things like warmed prunes are great for after meals or even with breakfast in the winter.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #12

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Don't worry Donna. You are definitely not alone in this struggle. During the holiday season I've been struggling with UD calories, and feeling deprived early in the day each UD because I was saving calories for the get-togethers, treats, desserts, drinks, etc that come with the season. I was missing having coffee with cream, fried eggs for breakfast, a nice filling lunch. Just saving it all up for evening and then really going to town! Today will be like that too. There are still some sweets around that I want to have today, and so most of my calories will be used up this evening.

I'm looking forward to getting the sweet, carby things back out of my diet. I mean for the most part. I am definitely going to still enjoy them occasionally, just not every UD! It'll be nice to have nice, satisfying, tasty breakfasts and lunches with real, nutritious foods. I feel so much more satisfied if my tastebuds are happy, but also if I know I've actually fed my body real food that is helping it to be healthy.

Getting the crap out of the house, and the protein, veggies, fruit back in could make all the difference in the world! I think you have a great plan! Good luck!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Hi Donna! In addition to all the wonderful ideas you've already gotten from the wise BUDDDs, another thought occurred to me when I was reading your post. You've done low carb for a long time and then HCG, which means a lot of things have been off limits.

The beauty of JUDDD is not having to restrict as much as you do on other plans. The "I can have that tomorrow" concept is so very effective for keeping me on plan. In a way, I think it's good to get the forbidden foods out of your system and really get that they are not forbidden anymore. I think this has been a good thing for you! You've had all those things and not gained weight! Amazing.

Now that you are really wanting to get into weight loss mode, it does seem important to find a way to count your up days that is least painful for you. Restaurants are hard. When I look at the calorie counts, they are usually so much higher than I would ever have estimated they would be! When you go, try for a place that has calorie counts listed. You can lose weight even at Wendy's, as you have seen from our amazing Dawn!

For cooking, online sites like allrecipes have calorie counts already done for you. They also have a "quick and easy" collection ... and you can see reviews from other people who have tried the recipes too.

Or, maybe do the same thing you do on down days: find three or four up day menus you like and just rotate them for awhile, and while healthy is good, it doesn't all have to be healthy. It's really important that you enjoy what you're eating, and I'm sure there are some healthy options that will fit in your calories and taste great to you, with room for a little treat too. I think we mostly turn to old favorites again and again anyway, right? Good luck with it! You can do this!

p.s. do what works for you, but I'm sensing that you're tired of boring. I don't know if the chicken breasts and hamburger patties are going to do it for you any more, but only you know that.

Last edited by calichris; 01-02-2013 at 11:16 AM..
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:

Thanks!
Ugh, I hate counting calories as well. DD's are easy for me, too, because I eat the same thing each time. (When I tried to vary my DD's, I ran into trouble--for me, too much variety leads to overeating.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Hi lil donna!

My two biggies on UDs are going out to eat and alcohol. It is tough to manage, but now for the most part (always times when I just can't do it...) when I am out I try to eat half. Whatever it is, half only. I try to split with someone or I leave it or I take it home and eat it next UD or for dinner if I am out for lunch. My mind worries that it won't be "enough", but it almost always ends up being just right.

Are you drinking alcohol? I love wine with dinner. Two glasses max for me on an UD or I simply don't have any at all. For me drinking calories can be dangerous when I am around the pantry. :-) Less tipsy means I don't indulge in my "whimsical" eating as much.

I try to stay mindful on UD. I eat what I want and that means fast food or pancakes or candy or kettlecorn or coffee with heavy cream...but I try to pay attention. Is it as good as I want it to be? Am I eating it just because I can't have it on a DD? Does the fourth, 10th, 20th bite taste as good as the first or second or third? If the answer to any of these questions are no, I stop eating, push it away and (usually) don't go back for more.

Last thing - this whole cockamamie idea of "eat until you are satisfied". What the heck does that mean? Often I cannot tell if I am satisfied until my pants pop. So, in the past satisfied = stuffed. That can't be for real, right? I've learned to manage my meals a little bit better. First, I take a smaller portion than I used to. It often doesn't LOOK like a satisfying meal, but usually it is plenty of food. Then I also take breaks. I stop and consider - am I really feeling hungry or do I just WANT to continue getting the physical pleasure of eating. I mean, the taste of certain foods or the texture of how different foods feel can be very pleasurable. So, sometimes I wait a few minutes and sometimes an hour or more before I decide. Often that means a nice dessert or maybe it will be more dinner (or lunch or breakfast...), and sometimes I just forget that I was thinking about more food and move on to a TV show or a book or playing Angry Birds - and then it's time for bed. :-)

There is a lot of great stuff in this thread so far - I hope some of it resonates with you and you can make your JUDDDD journey that much more successful!!
You said it!! You also made me laugh!

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the great advice.

I think I need a new state of mind because we all do not eat very healthy in this house anymore and that needs to change.

We (DH&I) did low carb for YEARS! I have grilled chicken breasts and hamburger patties so many times, too many to count. Then we did HCG. I think with the allowance of UD calories, I just kind of went crazy. Then hearing some people didn't even count UD's, I really went crazy. Think frozen pizzas, eating fried foods at restaurants, ICE CREAM! Lots of Ice Cream! Doughnuts! McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell. Anything and everything I haven't eaten in 10 years was all of a sudden allowable and I wasn't gaining weight!

It is now time to stop the craziness and eat better and lose this last 20 lbs. (probably 30 but I'm not too crazy). I'm eating that crap, my kids are eating that crap too.

I think going back to chicken breasts and hamburger patties may be a start. More protein definitely. More veggies too. Fruit use to be so forbidden and I think I need to bring that back into the house too.

I guess at this point, I just need ideas of simple things to make for the family.
Protein, green beans and a salad gets so boring so fast.

I've never eaten those frozen meals. They just don't look appetizing. I guess when I say "satisfying" I mean "appetizing." I can't get myself to eat a rice cake because to me, I'd rather eat nothing. It just does nothing for me. But if you put a 1/2 gallon of chocolate chip ice cream in front of me, it could easily be gone in about an hour.

I'm hopeless.
Dang, this has been me, too. You mean I CAN eat bread and pasta on both UD and DD even though I had been limiting it to once a week? Yipee!! And then it all fell apart. I keep viewing the UD like an hCG "Loading day"

I have decided, starting today (since no one is bringing over homemade fudge anymore, now that the holidays are over), that I am going to be more conscious on my UD's, and really, really watch what I eat, and not treat them like a Loading Day.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
One meal I had completely stopped cooking was spaghetti with meat sauce, or spaghetti bologonese. I used to make that every week, but simply forgot about it after LCing. I do not overeat when I have a nice sized portion of sauce and angel hair pasta, because it is so filling. It's healthy and pasta is actually a good carb. You can buy the whole wheat kind, if you like it too. My recipe:

1 lb of ground sirloin (approx. 165 cals for 4 oz, 1/4 of entire pkg...leaner gd. beef would be lower, but I do not like that stuff, lol)
1 small onion, chopped
1 pkg of button mushrooms
1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained (15 oz)
1 can of tomato sauce (I think it's 8 oz)
1 can of tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic, minced (or garlic powder, if you're lazy )
Worchestershire to taste
Pinch of sugar (opt)
Salt & pepper, to taste...

It's a simple recipe that can be modified, and also doubled, or tripled and frozen in whatever size serving container you need. Then a home-cooked meal is easy!

Cindy

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-02-2013 at 06:16 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #16

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I add large black pitted olives and frozen corn to my spaghetti sauce. I know it sounds weird, but it's great, and DH says it's even better than his mother's! It also adds great nutrition and is very filling with not many calories.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

I do love olives in my sauce too, Dawn, but I like the green ones.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: whole foods, P3
Start Date: rx hCG R9 start 09/04/14
Quote:
Lurker popping out here! I can completely relate to the dishes/cleanup thing. Also, sometimes I just want something quickly so I don't have to cook. A couple of things that I do that helps:

1. I roast a LOT of things (meats and veggies) and the key is to double-line your pans with aluminum foil. Take off the food, discard the foil, put the pan away. No cleanup.

2. I also bulk cook so later I can use leftovers for lower calorie days and to just "fill in" where I need something quick. Keeps me away from fast food for the most part. 10-12 Chicken thighs is usually about $6. A large piece of meat (tritip usually) is about $15.

3. I do the above with a huge batch of chicken and I actually cook a pound of bacon first, then cook the chicken in the bacon grease... That way I have a pound of cooked bacon to nibble on when hungry or add to whatever to make it awesome...

4. Roasted mixed veggies tossed in olive oil, S&P. Can be done with almost anything and a great way to use up veggies. Great reheated or cold (I even add them to salads sometimes). Root veggies: parsnips, carrots, squash, potatoes sweet and regular, Jerusalem artichokes. Non-root veggies that are also amazing: cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, broccolini, brussels, green beans.

5. Pre-make those beef patties and quick defrost and pan fry. Top with cheese and avocado for a nice calorie bump on UDs. Try veal patties, lamb patties, and pork patties for a change up.

6. Hard boil and peel a dozen eggs. Pre-boiled eggs will keep for several weeks. Eat them plain for breakfast, on salads, or add mayo for quick egg salad.

7. In addition to the bacon, I also pre-cook turkey patties and bratwurst or sausage for more meal ideas.

8. Canned tuna or salmon--in oil if you can find it. Mix with mayo for quick "salad" for sandwiches or plain.

9. Finally, I buy the pre-cleaned cook in the bag veggies (I know they are more expensive but worth it to me). Steam those babies up in the microwave and add a tablespoon or so of butter.

Just some thoughts... Back into lurkdom!
hhCG round 3 - 01/03/12, 23 days, pellets, 3/3/3, 157->141
_hCG round 4 - 05/05/12, 24 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 148->136
_hCG round 5 - 08/11/12, 26 days, rx hCG, 125iU, 159->140
_hCG round 6 - 08/05/13, 26 days, rx hCG, 150-200iU, 160->146
_hCG round 9 - 09/04/14, 31 days, rx hCG, 150iU, ~172->153
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Great ideas, Shelby!! I'm afraid I am not a do-ahead kind of person. As much as I admire it (and covet it), I will never do it. Wish I had my own cook!!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:

THIS IS ME TOO!!

I think with the allowance of UD calories, I just kind of went crazy. Then hearing some people didn't even count UD's, I really went crazy. Think frozen pizzas, eating fried foods at restaurants, ICE CREAM! Lots of Ice Cream! Doughnuts! McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell. Anything and everything I haven't eaten in 10 years was all of a sudden allowable and I wasn't gaining weight!
AGAIN THIS IS ME!!! ICE CREAM. YUM!!!

I can't get myself to eat a rice cake because to me, I'd rather eat nothing. It just does nothing for me. But if you put a 1/2 gallon of chocolate chip ice cream in front of me, it could easily be gone in about an hour.

I'm hopeless.
No you are not hopeless because if you are then I am too.
I found those little mini rice cakes made by Quaker that are flavored that I really like. Especially the tomato basil. Just a random thought there.

I really think it has taken me a full year to get everything out of my system as far as having to try all foods that I did without for 10 years. Since Christmas it has been easier for me on UD's. THANK GOODNESS. Finally.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
Lurker popping out here! I can completely relate to the dishes/cleanup thing. Also, sometimes I just want something quickly so I don't have to cook. A couple of things that I do that helps:

1. I roast a LOT of things (meats and veggies) and the key is to double-line your pans with aluminum foil. Take off the food, discard the foil, put the pan away. No cleanup.

2. I also bulk cook so later I can use leftovers for lower calorie days and to just "fill in" where I need something quick. Keeps me away from fast food for the most part. 10-12 Chicken thighs is usually about $6. A large piece of meat (tritip usually) is about $15.

3. I do the above with a huge batch of chicken and I actually cook a pound of bacon first, then cook the chicken in the bacon grease... That way I have a pound of cooked bacon to nibble on when hungry or add to whatever to make it awesome...

4. Roasted mixed veggies tossed in olive oil, S&P. Can be done with almost anything and a great way to use up veggies. Great reheated or cold (I even add them to salads sometimes). Root veggies: parsnips, carrots, squash, potatoes sweet and regular, Jerusalem artichokes. Non-root veggies that are also amazing: cauliflower, asparagus, broccoli, broccolini, brussels, green beans.

5. Pre-make those beef patties and quick defrost and pan fry. Top with cheese and avocado for a nice calorie bump on UDs. Try veal patties, lamb patties, and pork patties for a change up.

6. Hard boil and peel a dozen eggs. Pre-boiled eggs will keep for several weeks. Eat them plain for breakfast, on salads, or add mayo for quick egg salad.

7. In addition to the bacon, I also pre-cook turkey patties and bratwurst or sausage for more meal ideas.

8. Canned tuna or salmon--in oil if you can find it. Mix with mayo for quick "salad" for sandwiches or plain.

9. Finally, I buy the pre-cleaned cook in the bag veggies (I know they are more expensive but worth it to me). Steam those babies up in the microwave and add a tablespoon or so of butter.

jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Two things have helped me immensely with UD's. The first and foremost is intermittent fasting. I do not ever start eating until 10am. I stop eating by 7pm. That window seems to regulate my appetite. If I start eating first thing in the morning, it seems to waken the appetite monster the rest of the day, UD or DD. The other thing that has helped me is including a potato meal in my UD's. It really regulates my cravings for sweets and other things. I used to have out of control UD's. No longer.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jodeeras
Stats: 174 / 160.0 / 115
Start Date: 12/1/11 Atkins; 5/8/12 JUDDD
I'm also finding it hard to keep to my UD calories - for a long time. UD seemed (to me) a reason to eat, eat, eat... hence, I've been losing the same 5 lbs. since I started in May.

I thought hard about it and decided to follow WW (the core/simply filling) program - where I eat only "power foods" for the most part - without the weighing and measuring. Very healthy. However, for the sake of JUDDD and keeping watch on my calories, I'm also entering the calories into an online tracker so I can (at least at the beginning) get a handle on whether or not I can meet the UD calorie limit and whether WW will work along with JUDDD.

I so want JUDDD to work for me also... and eat healthy (which I have good intentions - but without some structure, I tend to fall into eating a lot of junk or higher carbs).

Don't know whether or not this information is useful to anyone or not...

Start Date: 12/1/2011 (Atkins)
Start Weight: 174 lbs. (12/1/11 - Atkins)
Start Date: 155.5 (5/8/2012 JUDDD)
Restart Weight: 161.5 lbs. (4/1/2013)
CW: 160.0 lbs.
jodeeras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodeeras View Post
I'm also finding it hard to keep to my UD calories - for a long time. UD seemed (to me) a reason to eat, eat, eat... hence, I've been losing the same 5 lbs. since I started in May.

I thought hard about it and decided to follow WW (the core/simply filling) program - where I eat only "power foods" for the most part - without the weighing and measuring. Very healthy. However, for the sake of JUDDD and keeping watch on my calories, I'm also entering the calories into an online tracker so I can (at least at the beginning) get a handle on whether or not I can meet the UD calorie limit and whether WW will work along with JUDDD.

I so want JUDDD to work for me also... and eat healthy (which I have good intentions - but without some structure, I tend to fall into eating a lot of junk or higher carbs).

Don't know whether or not this information is useful to anyone or not...
YES! Very useful. I will look into those power foods.
I was terrible on my UD again yesterday. It is like I have no control! UGH! It is so frustrating. It is like I am telling myself that I need to eat it on my UD or else I will struggle on my DD! I really want JUDDD to work for me to.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Donna, you mentioned wanting to eat healthy. Whatever that means to you, knowing portion sizes is the way to keep from going out of control. However, someone has to do the legwork. In the case of prepackaged foods - someone else. In the case of whole foods - you.

Here are some things that helped me. They are not things that cause deprivation. They are simply behaviours that normal eaters follow instinctively. And just so you know, I can binge with the best of them, but not often anymore.

Get to know how big a portion of the basics (meat/veggies/starch/fruit) is.
I would go to a calorie counter just once, divide a meal into what you consider appropriate fat/protein/carb portions.
Look at how big the portions look on the plate or in the bowl.
Forever after you will know how big a piece of meat, how big a scoop of rice or potatoes or brocolli should go on your plate.
Decide how much of your UD allotment you are willing to give to non-nutritive food such as pastries, alcohol, etc. and choose carefully which treat you will have. You don't have to have them all on the same day.
My weak moment weapon is my "safe food". It can be anything that is filling, does not trigger overeating, is portable, has less than 100 calories. Mine was a pink grapefruit until I started LC. It stops inappropriate eating in its tracks and was always available. i peeled it like an orange and ate the sections. I haven't had a real problem since starting LC so haven't figured out a new safe food. Maybe jerky or HB egg.

Hope you find your solution. Take what you can use and leave the rest.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post

I have been doing this every Sunday and it not only saves me from cooking all week, but I usually have more than enough to make it the whole week. Also, ziplock freezer bag up the meals for UD & DD. You just grab the bag first thing in the AM for that day out of freezer and then when time to eat is thawed and ready to reheat. No cooking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Get to know how big a portion of the basics (meat/veggies/starch/fruit) is.
I would go to a calorie counter just once, divide a meal into what you consider appropriate fat/protein/carb portions.
Look at how big the portions look on the plate or in the bowl.
Forever after you will know how big a piece of meat, how big a scoop of rice or potatoes or brocolli should go on your plate.

Hope you find your solution. Take what you can use and leave the rest.
I had to do this before I ever began JUDDD, because I knew that my portions were going over, but I didn't realize how much 1/2 cup or a couple of oz could wreak havoc on my calorie allotment.

And one more thing, I can't remember who said something about eating out, but for me. I can only eat out once per week without completely stalling. It doesn't work for me to go regularly. Now, if I was like Dawn & only had 1 cup of chili, maybe it would work. I have to plan for the big UD as my one night out. I usually treat myself to my fav glass of wine on this evening. If you do two in a week, it may not hurt you, but for me it was a dealbreaker completely slowing my losses.

Last edited by sunday; 01-04-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Old 01-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

I guess a whole bottle of wine is out of the question. Allot 400 calories for a bottle. Dawn and I have figured it out.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #28

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
So a small Wendy's chili and a whole bottle of wine wouldn't destroy a down day. I HAVE thought about it. Maybe in maintenance, I'll test the theory.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

You'll get more "bang for your buck" on a DD. With just one small chili, you won't need but half a bottle!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
You're cracking me up!
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote