Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What do you do for exercise/toning? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/792563-what-do-you-do-exercise-toning.html)

mom23kids 01-01-2013 02:37 PM

What do you do for exercise/toning?

One of my goals for 2013 is to do some major toning. I'm very pear shaped, as well as have flabby arms/back :down: Right now I don't do any type of exercise and I'm really out of shape. I'd like to start something next week, but there's so many choices out there! Videos would work best for me since I can't afford a gym.

What do you do for exercise? I just put holds on a couple of the Turbo Jam videos and those look interesting. I've also got several of Leslie Sansone walking videos and I may start doing those again. I'd like to start with 3 days and work my way up to 5. One thing I refuse to do is running-tried it before and it did not agree with me lol.

Kismet311 01-01-2013 02:38 PM

I just started working out with kettleballs. I also have the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs so I might start alternating with those. I usually do the WATP with the weights.

Carly 01-01-2013 03:38 PM

Well, I'm anxious to hear what everyone does and if it happens to be gentle on the spine I would love to know that ;)

I'm going to find my little 3 pound weights and do some arm strengthing now until my back starts to protest (or elbows or shoulders... I'm the most arthritic 36 yr old in the world!)

angie1 01-01-2013 03:43 PM

I work part time at a fitness centre so I generally do 2-3 strength and toning classes a week -- which do wonders for toning the body (although I do find that I don't lose weight as fast with weights)

Check out youtube!! They have tons of videos that you can follow and free! Just type in what you are looking for like .._____ (abs, legs, arms, cardio, dance) workout . You can even type in like specific time workouts like ( 5 or 10 minute arms etc)

mom23kids 01-01-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie1 (Post 16164633)
I work part time at a fitness centre so I generally do 2-3 strength and toning classes a week -- which do wonders for toning the body (although I do find that I don't lose weight as fast with weights)

Check out youtube!! They have tons of videos that you can follow and free! Just type in what you are looking for like .._____ (abs, legs, arms, cardio, dance) workout . You can even type in like specific time workouts like ( 5 or 10 minute arms etc)

Great idea-thanks!!!

JKat 01-01-2013 03:53 PM

I just started yoga at the gym. I really like it

TryingJudd 01-01-2013 04:03 PM

In the summer i do a lot of walking with a bit of jogging I am enjoying Gillian Michael's 30 day shred right now. 3 different levels and a quick 25 minute of sweat but it works all the muscle groups and has cardio, strength and ab training. I also like Callanetics and Pilates and use my treadmill pretty regularly (broken right now and awaiting parts - boo). I am a big fan of DVDs too as they are cheap, you can get variety and use them whenever your schedule allows. Good luck. The hardest part is starting.

wildflower 01-01-2013 04:17 PM

I do loads of Leslie Sansone - with weights or without. Also, would like to try pilates again, but it may still bother my neck.

My main thing, which may not be available to you is water aerobics. A floation belt is worn in the deep water and so many things are done. Jogging, weights, stretching - it's amazing how out of breath you get as well as sweat -- yea, in the pool, you sweat!

mom23kids 01-01-2013 04:53 PM

Angie-thanks again for suggesting youtube! I just found a bunch of 10 minute videos on there and made separate play lists for different body parts :laugh: Starting to exercise is overwhelming, but having a big 'library' of 10 minute videos should make it a lot easier :) I'm going to try and do one every day (except for weekends).

Carly 01-01-2013 05:02 PM

I did 15 minutes of arm exercises with my little 3 pound weights. I will check out YouTube for sure. I would love, love, love water aerobics- years ago, in another life, I was a certified aerobic instructor and had certifications in step aerobics and slide aerobics. I had no arthritis back then, well so little that I didn't know it was a problem. If I had access to a pool I would be so into water aerobics!

KeirasMom 01-01-2013 06:09 PM

I just joined a gym, and have an appointment with a personal trainer this Saturday. I'm going to ask for tips for toning my problem areas, mainly where all the loose skin sits around my midsection, and for strengthening my core. No advice as yet, but I hope to have something this weekend. Of course the trainer is only going to give me "gym" exercises.

LoCarbGal 01-02-2013 11:12 AM

I just got out my Callanetics 10 in 10 DVD, and an old Leslie Sansone DVD. I'll be starting them in the next coupla days.

zipp2play 01-03-2013 06:24 AM

I walk 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. In 2013 I am adding a 15 minute weight routine 5 times a week! Time to tone up!

HellInYourEyes 01-03-2013 06:42 AM

I go to the gym with my husband whenever our schedule permits. I usually walk on the treadmill or work on the elliptical. If the gym isn't packed full of beefcakes and some of the weight machines are available I'll do some arms and back work.

mom23kids 01-03-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16167911)
I walk 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. In 2013 I am adding a 15 minute weight routine 5 times a week! Time to tone up!

Great job on the walking! I'd like to start doing this more when it gets warmer out-people don't shovel their sidewalks very well on my street and I've fallen before on ice :mad:

Kettleboy 01-03-2013 07:41 AM

Carly, with your injury issues a good instructor would be a good idea, even with your problems resistance is safe and very helpful, but has to be done with perfect neutral form.

Mrs S 01-03-2013 07:51 AM

I have an elliptical collecting cobwebs, as well as a fluidity bar, callanetics and pilates dvds, etc...

I've been doing a 90 minute yoga class once a week for a couple of months and enjoying it but it's not enough.

I just ordered a 20lb kettlebell, should arrive today.

I have an insanely short attention span for exercise. :o

Rayne_W 01-03-2013 08:02 AM

Currently? :confused:

Well, I swivel my office chair 180 degrees, mug of tea in hand, and, while staring blankly at my Total Gym, raise my mug to my mouth and sip. Repeat with other hand. Blow raspberry at gym. Swivel back.

My routine might be changing soon. :laugh:

vanilla_latte 01-03-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne_W (Post 16168161)

Well, I swivel my office chair 180 degrees, mug of tea in hand, and, while staring blankly at my Total Gym, raise my mug to my mouth and sip. Repeat with other hand. Blow raspberry at gym. Swivel back.

:hyst::laugh::hyst::laugh:

I'm dusting off my elliptical and will also do some WATP tapes. Got a wi-fi television and am going through YT gathering some favorite Zumba or dance videos to do.

Shpongle 01-03-2013 10:16 AM

I've started doing Callanetics 10-in-10 on my UD's and I absolutely love it! :love:
I'm also walking more often (thinking about buying a bicycle but I'm paranoid about getting flattened by a 18-wheeler :dunno:) and I know I should probably start a strength training routine, but that's far too much effort for now:laugh:

Luna Loca 01-03-2013 10:23 AM

Callanetics. Evolution on my up days, and 10-in-10 on my down days. Not every day, but shooting for 3-4 days a week. It's portable, because I have these DVDs on my computer and on my phone, which is important when you're living like I am, in many different places. I also love to walk, but it's cold and snowy out where I am now and so we go to the mall once or twice a week to walk. Less than ideal, but it will have to do for now. I'm also staying with a friend for the next week who has a mini-trampoline, so I tried that out last night. Not aerobic, but I could feel a positive change after bouncing gently on it for about fifteen minutes before my regular workout last night. Will keep doing that for the time we are here.

svenskamae 01-03-2013 10:32 AM

I've been doing a couple of the Jane Fonda Prime Time workout DVDs. The upper body workout is something I really need, because about the only exercise my arms get is typing; the lower body workout is pretty easy for me already, because I have years of experience walking and using an elliptical machine at high resistance already. I like to do an elliptical machine through a movie (90-120 minutes), but I find that my body doesn't let go of fat/weight if I do the elliptical machine for very long. (I guess it thinks that means I need to hang onto the fat; the whole calories in, calories out model doesn't work for me.)

I own the beginning Callanetics DVD, but I've been reluctant to start doing it, because it looks like form is important, and I'm such a klutz (plus still have 50-60 pounds to lose). Do those of you who do Callanetics get frustrated with trying to get the form and small movements right, without an instructor, or do you feel that it is fairly forgiving of the born-clumsy, still-heavy women like me?

LadyKT 01-03-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne_W (Post 16168161)

:laugh: Sounds like me. Having a gym membership forces me out of the house....and to workout!

Rayne_W 01-03-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKT (Post 16168677)
:laugh: Sounds like me. Having a gym membership forces me out of the house....and to workout!

I totally forgot -- I have one of those, too! :hyst::laugh::rofl:

LadyKT 01-03-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayne_W (Post 16168688)
I totally forgot -- I have one of those, too! :hyst::laugh::rofl:

D'oh!

BTW - that Lily Tomlin quote was the quote I used for my Senior Yearbook photo. Twelve years later, i'm still trying to figure that one out!!

My weights (i have adjustable weights from 12-25 lbs) sit in front of the TV, to the side a little. I sit on the couch, look at the weights and think to myself "Hmm...I should do something with those....". :laugh:

Sammyann 01-03-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16164619)
Well, I'm anxious to hear what everyone does and if it happens to be gentle on the spine I would love to know that ;)

I'm going to find my little 3 pound weights and do some arm strengthing now until my back starts to protest (or elbows or shoulders... I'm the most arthritic 36 yr old in the world!)

I just started doing Classical Stretch. I found it on PBS. I needed something gentle because I have a messed up shoulder. I end up with pain all down my arm and my back spasming by the end of most days. I did Classical Stretch for the first time yesterday and when I was done my back felt great and my shoulder and arm didn't hurt. It was a great leg workout too. I'm sold. I can't wait to do it again. I'm actually hopefull it will heal my shoulder. This is (some of) what their website says:

Core Priniciples:
It is a combination of dynamically sequenced stretching plus Esmonde-White's research and knowledge of specific exercises that will give you a longer and leaner body. It takes the PNF concept to another level -gently freeing the body to a level of flexibility that most people never imagined they could achieve. It plays with the concepts of agonist / antagonist and joint rotation to speed the rate of elongation and strengthening which results in a leaner looking body. It focuses on spinal rotation and joint alignment, liberating the back from pain and improving posture.

Results:
Thinner arms and thighs - many have lost up to 3 inches around their bums!
Flattened and more defined tummies
Decreased stress levels
Reversal of osteoporosis
Dramatic improvement of posture
Healing of lower back, knee and shoulder injuries/pains

SlimNana 01-03-2013 11:23 AM

For cardio, I'm exercising on a recumbent bike &/or an elliptical machine, using various levels of resistance. I use a Pilates rebounder with cords to do strength & stretching exercises. On my UDs, I'm using hand held weights or resistance bands for toning upper & lower body flab.

I still need to get the dvd player hooked up to the basement TV, so I can start doing some of my old favorite workouts from my stockpile of dvds. :workout:

LoCarbGal 01-03-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16168599)
I own the beginning Callanetics DVD, but I've been reluctant to start doing it, because it looks like form is important, and I'm such a klutz (plus still have 50-60 pounds to lose). Do those of you who do Callanetics get frustrated with trying to get the form and small movements right, without an instructor, or do you feel that it is fairly forgiving of the born-clumsy, still-heavy women like me?

I don't think you'll have any problem, Sven. I just did the whole hour (not in an hour though!) this morning, and I've got a good 95 pounds to go. There's no grace required (thank heavens) and movements are small and intense. I loved it, but am anticipating feeling it tomorrow!

Luna Loca 01-03-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16168599)
I've been doing a couple of the Jane Fonda Prime Time workout DVDs. The upper body workout is something I really need, because about the only exercise my arms get is typing; the lower body workout is pretty easy for me already, because I have years of experience walking and using an elliptical machine at high resistance already. I like to do an elliptical machine through a movie (90-120 minutes), but I find that my body doesn't let go of fat/weight if I do the elliptical machine for very long. (I guess it thinks that means I need to hang onto the fat; the whole calories in, calories out model doesn't work for me.)

I first started doing Callanetics when I was still well over 200 pounds, probably closer to 250. There are a couple of moves, especially stretches, that the excess weight, which I carry a lot of in my tummy, made difficult, but not impossible.

Start where you are. Do what you can do. It'll feel awkward, and wrong, and hard, and like you're the klutziest person on the planet. Do it anyway. Keep going, and soon you'll be an old pro at it and glad that you tried it. That's been my experience, anyway.

Chalagurl 01-03-2013 02:13 PM

I just did Turbo Jam a few hours ago! I have a few of her DVDs that I bought back in 2006. They are fun and great cardio! When I want to do something a little more intense with weights, I reach for my Jillian Michaels DVDs. So Turbo Jam and Jillian Michaels are my 2 favorite workout DVDs :)