Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
JB Book Club

Since we're all talking about books in other threads, I thought it would be nice to have a special thread to talk about books. Just to make it safe, we can start by talking about Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet.

I know there is a LC playground, but I like having this for the JB's. Anyone opposed? All those in favor say AYE!!!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

I am currently reading "The Meaning of Night: A Confession" by Michael Cox. I love it so far and it is quite long, which I also love. The story is about a man in the 1800's who is not who he appears to be. In fact, he lives to adulthood before he discovers this for himself, through his mother's journals and writings...he becomes obsessed with the person he believes has taken his birthrite and proceeds to methodically get back what is his, through any means necessary. The book is filled with angst and mystery, with a few romantic dallies on the way. My Kindle says I have 11 hours to go to finish it, lol, so that is my summation so far.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
I just ordered "The Curious Incident..." from my library. Thanks for the recommendation on the other thread!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I haven't had a chance to get back to the library yet so I have raided my daughter's bookshelf. Just got done reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (the Hunger Games series) and am getting ready to start Mockingjay, the third book in the series.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I'd love a JUDDD book thread-I'm a total book nerd

I just started The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, which is a YA horror story. I love all genres, except for chick-lit, but YA is my favorite
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I love reading. my hubby just got me a kindle fire for Christmas. I loaded all my favorite books on it. just finished reading the fallen series by Lauren Kate. great read! I love fallen Angel type stories. not sure what I will read next though, so many choices. I loaded a few free books by Sylvia day that I might get to this week. she has a few thank you for being a fan books on her site for free. my daughter suggested these books called matched and crossed can't remember the author though. she said if I liked hunger games, I will like these.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
I love reading. my hubby just got me a kindle fire for Christmas. I loaded all my favorite books on it. just finished reading the fallen series by Lauren Kate. great read! I love fallen Angel type stories. not sure what I will read next though, so many choices. I loaded a few free books by Sylvia day that I might get to this week. she has a few thank you for being a fan books on her site for free. my daughter suggested these books called matched and crossed can't remember the author though. she said if I liked hunger games, I will like these.
Have you read Angelfall by Susan Ee yet? I read it earlier this year and it's absolutely amazing-my favorite book of 2012 It's really cool too because the author was self-published and the book took off just by word of mouth! A publishing house has now picked up the series and the movie rights have been bought
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Have you read Angelfall by Susan Ee yet? I read it earlier this year and it's absolutely amazing-my favorite book of 2012 It's really cool too because the author was self-published and the book took off just by word of mouth! A publishing house has now picked up the series and the movie rights have been bought
hadn't heard of it but I will check it out thank you!!!! trying to find a few books til a few get released in 2013. the clockwork princess by Cassandra Clare, entwined in you by Sylvia day, walking disaster by Jamie McGuire.....so many I have been waiting for!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I just finished my guilty pleasure of the year. Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. I love every one of her Stephanie Plum series. They're quick, easy, and super fun reads.

I just started Life of Pi. I'll let you all know how it is. So far, I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I just finished my guilty pleasure of the year. Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. I love every one of her Stephanie Plum series. They're quick, easy, and super fun reads.

I just started Life of Pi. I'll let you all know how it is. So far, I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it.
I keep meaning to start the Stephanie Plum series, maybe I'll finally get to it in 2013 I've heard a lot of good about Life of Pi, I really should read it!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I gave my Dr J's book away. I love sharing.
Now will buy it again!
Ei
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #12

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I just re-read Dr J's book again yesterday, and was re-inspired, and also internalized more of the science of the health benefits than I did the first read.

I also just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I loved. I'll have to get the next one in the series.

I got Song of the Nile by our own Stephanie Dray for Christmas, and will be starting it in the next couple of days.

This is a great idea. I have the feeling I'll soon have way too many books I want to read!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #13
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I just re-read Dr J's book again yesterday, and was re-inspired, and also internalized more of the science of the health benefits than I did the first read.

I also just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which I loved. I'll have to get the next one in the series.

I got Song of the Nile by our own Stephanie Dray for Christmas, and will be starting it in the next couple of days.

This is a great idea. I have the feeling I'll soon have way too many books I want to read!
I haven't read Dr. J's book yet-another one to add to my tbr list My 2013 list is at about 150 books so far, and I read almost 300 books this year, so I do have some room for new books to be added. But I also have a feeling this thread is going to make my tbr list explode
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I still have not gotten my hands on THE BOOK. My library does not have it and I really never buy books but I think I will have to venture out to Barnes and Noble and look for it or try to find a used one on Amazon. I love to read and my goal for 2013 is to read 100 books so might as well add a book that I can actually learn from LOL
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
the last two weeks, I have enjoyed:

The Roundhouse by Louise Erdrich

The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain

The Fault in our Stars by John Greene

and

Salvage the Bones by Jessmyn Ward

I love time off from work!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I'd love a JUDDD book thread-I'm a total book nerd

I just started The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, which is a YA horror story. I love all genres, except for chick-lit, but YA is my favorite
Does it involve zombies or vampires? I love YA too, but really tired of the overflux of the aforementioned.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post

Thanks for sharing this. I gathered from other's comments that she is an author, but never managed to find out what she had written. I'll be sure to download it!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

We have a fiction/poetry festival every year in April and always have two authors who visit our campus. In 2007 (or 2008?) Sara Gran was our guest and I read some of her books. I recommend "Come Closer". It is a deliciously scary little book in which the protagonist, a young woman, slowly starts to lose her mind, or is her apartment really haunted? I loved it! She has several others that are very good too.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-31-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #19

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Thanks for sharing this. I gathered from other's comments that she is an author, but never managed to find out what she had written. I'll be sure to download it!
Cindy, if you like historical fiction, you'll love it. Lily of the Nile is the first book in the series, so be sure to get that one first!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
I just read One Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. I enjoyed it ... was a little conflicted about the ending, but there is a character that is ambiguous,which I always think is so interesting. The narrator (and the reader) don't know if she's a bit mentally unbalanced or if she really has "yin eyes" (communicates with the dead). I really like how Amy Tan portrays the complexities of different types of relationships and the mysteries of ancient and current Chinese culture.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Great thread LG!

Quote:
I just read One Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. I enjoyed it ... was a little conflicted about the ending, but there is a character that is ambiguous,which I always think is so interesting. The narrator (and the reader) don't know if she's a bit mentally unbalanced or if she really has "yin eyes" (communicates with the dead). I really like how Amy Tan portrays the complexities of different types of relationships and the mysteries of ancient and current Chinese culture.
I love Amy Tan's writing so very much, and her books often leaving me overwhelmed with emotion (which is a great thing). I haven't read One Hundred Secret Senses in a long time, you've inspired me to pick it up again!

I just checked "The Perfect Health Diet" out of my library so I'll be reading that in the New Year.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I just finished listening to "Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice". It's the voices of Sharon's father, mother, sister and niece telling of how the killings affected them. A good part of it is about mom Doris's work for victim's rights and how she regularly attended the parole hearings of each killer. The stories are taken from journals the Tate family members kept.

Now listening to "Swordpoint" a Neil Gaiman selection/production that's done like a radio play - fun listen. I think I need something lighter after "Souls".

Reading "The Stumpwork Robe" which was a Nookbook freebie a while back. Really enjoying it.

I read "The Curious Incident..." a few years back, given to me by my SIL who worked with autistic children. It can be hard-going at times as it puts you inside the head of an autistic teen. Gives you a real feel for what it is like from the other side.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Another Amy Tan fan.
I am finally reading the Perfect Health by Jaminet and plan on going back for re-read of Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas. I mostly listen to books, because of the type of work that I do. My books that I have dl for listening next are, "Half Broke Horses" by Jeanette Walls and "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. Looking forward to seeing the movie.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #24
Established

Quote:
Does it involve zombies or vampires? I love YA too, but really tired of the overflux of the aforementioned.
It's about monster hunters and the monster in this book is new to me . I'm also over vamps, but zombie books
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I am currently reading "The Meaning of Night: A Confession" by Michael Cox. I love it so far and it is quite long, which I also love. The story is about a man in the 1800's who is not who he appears to be. In fact, he lives to adulthood before he discovers this for himself, through his mother's journals and writings...he becomes obsessed with the person he believes has taken his birthrite and proceeds to methodically get back what is his, through any means necessary. The book is filled with angst and mystery, with a few romantic dallies on the way. My Kindle says I have 11 hours to go to finish it, lol, so that is my summation so far.
Finished this last night and recommend it highly. Read the description on Amazon for a more thorough review to see if it's your cup of tea. It is mine! I will download the sequel later this week. Probably going to start on the third Dragon Tattoo book tonight.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
It's about monster hunters and the monster in this book is new to me . I'm also over vamps, but zombie books
I will add it to my list. Love having this thread so I can check it for titles.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
I reading but have a hard time finding time to get reading done. The book I'm reading (actually, re-reading) is The Hobbit. Before that I read Somewhere Inside, by Lisa and Laura Ling. It's a true accounting of how one sister was captured and held in North Korea, and how her sister fought from the outside to get her free. It also gives a look at what it's like inside N. Korea and their people's perspective on Americans, etc. Very good read!
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
While I am waiting on my library to get the latest Xanth novel I am rereading another
Xanth novel Well Tempered Clavical. The Xanth novels take place in a magic land where
marriages are always foverver, you pick your shoes off a shoe tree and the stork realy
does bring the baby .....
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
LOVE this thread and all the great suggestions. I will have to get out my kindle and read off the more recent reads. I'll come back with a long list but for those zombie and fantasy fans check out The Passage by Cronin and the sequel which is The Twelve.

AND I highly recommend the Game of Thrones books by George RR Martin. Love the HBO series too but the books are engrossing.

Last edited by TryingJudd; 01-02-2013 at 06:31 PM..
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #30
Established

Quote:
I will add it to my list. Love having this thread so I can check it for titles.
Finished it and it was a solid read-nice to read something really scary with a very unique monster as the focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
I reading but have a hard time finding time to get reading done. The book I'm reading (actually, re-reading) is The Hobbit. Before that I read Somewhere Inside, by Lisa and Laura Ling. It's a true accounting of how one sister was captured and held in North Korea, and how her sister fought from the outside to get her free. It also gives a look at what it's like inside N. Korea and their people's perspective on Americans, etc. Very good read!
The Hobbit is such an amazing book

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
While I am waiting on my library to get the latest Xanth novel I am rereading another
Xanth novel Well Tempered Clavical. The Xanth novels take place in a magic land where
marriages are always foverver, you pick your shoes off a shoe tree and the stork realy
does bring the baby .....
Love the Xanth series! I haven't read them in years-I really should re-read them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
LOVE this thread and all the great suggestions. I will have to get out my kindle and read off the more recent reads. I'll come back with a long list but for those zombie and fantasy fans check out The Passage by Cronin and the sequel which is The Twelve.

AND I highly recommend the Game of Thrones books by George RR Martin. Love the HBO series too but the books are engrossing.
I really enjoyed first Game of Thrones book, but for some reason never picked up the others in the series

Tonight I started reading The Princess Bride, re-done by William Goldman. The movie is one of my all time favorites and so far the book is excellent-soooo funny