Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I suggest Anne Fine's "The Killjoy" (1986) or John Fowles' "The Collector" or Ian McEwan's "The Cement Garden."
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #122
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
The Killjoy sounds very good, but alas not available for Kindle. The collector and the Cement Garden also sound good, albeit a little old. Not that I don't enjoy older books too, I just haven't read anything but contemporary stuff in a very long time (other than a few classics). I'm going to download The Collector and see how I like it, as it seems pretty good. Between it and The Cement Garden, which would you think I might enjoy more?
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #123
Major LCF Poster!

I preferred "The Collector," myself. "The Cement Garden" might be too light on suspense for you, though it is definitely twisted.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #124
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
The Collector is a classic from my youth. Was made into an amazing film in the 60s.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I recently read Gone Girl and Catch me. Both had a few twists that you might like.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #126
Big Yapper!!!!

I've read Gone Girl and loved it. Saw the film "Catch Me" with Leonardo DeCaprio, about the pilot. Is that the same one?

ETA: LOL, if you're talking about Lisa Gardner's new one, "Catch Me", I reviewed that for Library Journal pre-publishing. In fact, it hasn't been published yet (Feb.). Oops, maybe you haven't read that one.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-11-2013 at 04:53 PM..
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #127
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I've read Gone Girl and loved it. Saw the film "Catch Me" with Leonardo DeCaprio, about the pilot. Is that the same one?

ETA: LOL, if you're talking about Lisa Gardner's new one, "Catch Me", I reviewed that for Library Journal pre-publishing. In fact, it hasn't been published yet (Feb.). Oops, maybe you haven't read that one.
Yes, it was Lisa Gardner's book. I got it at the library last month. The one with Leonardo DeCaprio was Catch Me if you Can. I think LOL
Old 01-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #128
Big Yapper!!!!

Wait, I'm thick tonight. It was "Touch and Go" by Lisa Gardner that I read and reviewed. I think I've read Catch Me also, however. I downloaded "The Collector" and I hope I enjoy it. Thanks to all of you for the recommendations. So many good books to add to my TBR journal in this thread!!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-11-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #129
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
Can you give us an example of a twisted thriller?? Like, a thriller with a crazy person in it? LOL
Have you read the Body Farm series by Jefferson Bass? Definitely twisted lol. The first one is Carved in Bone.

Also, the David Hunter series by Simon Beckett. The first book in the series is The Chemistry of Death.

Both series are forensic science thrillers and are pretty intense!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #130
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm reading "The Collector". Thank you sven. I started it last night and was a bit put off by the British slang at first. I never knew the lottery was called "pools" lol. I worked it out without having to look it up. I'm now in the section where the girl is telling her side of the story, and it has me so nostalgic. Although this was written before I was born, it's true that the human experience is timeless. I remember when I was at college and had her idealistic view of the world, or even her pessimistic view and how "above" it I and people "like me" (my friends, other like-minded students) were. Oh, how we become so jaded and day-to-day as we grow older. I miss those days.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 01-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #131
Established

Wow, last night was an intense reading night lol. I've gotten hooked on The Experiment in Terror series, which is a mix between The X-Files, Ghost Hunters and then throw in a heavy dose of crazy romance angst I finished Dead Sky Morning (the third installment) on Friday and usually I don't read series books back to back, but I had to know what happened next so I bought the next book, Lying Season, last night. Kids and hubby were at a hockey game so I decided to read it and oh. my. gosh. I could NOT put it down. I finished it at 10pm, immediately bought the next one in the series and stayed up past midnight and read the whole thing (On Demon Wings). Wow....just wow. So, so intense! I bought the next book, Into the Hollow, this morning and I'll read it tonight. And then I'm caught up in the series until the next release comes out later this year.

If you like Stephen King/Dean Koontz type of books, but with a dose of Fifty Shade of Grey, this series is for you

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-13-2013 at 04:28 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #132
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Wow, last night was an intense reading night lol. I've gotten hooked on The Experiment in Terror series, which is a mix between The X-Files, Ghost Hunters and then throw in a heavy dose of crazy romance angst I finished Dead Sky Morning (the third installment) on Friday and usually I don't read series books back to back, but I had to know what happened next so I bought the next book, Lying Season, last night. Kids and hubby were at a hockey game so I decided to read it and oh. my. gosh. I could NOT put it down. I finished it at 10pm, immediately bought the next one in the series and stayed up past midnight and read the whole thing (On Demon Wings). Wow....just wow. So, so intense! I bought the next book, Into the Hollow, this morning and I'll read it tonight. And then I'm caught up in the series until the next release comes out later this year.

If you like Stephen King/Dean Koontz type of books, but with a dose of Fifty Shade of Grey, this series is for you
Lol you sound like me! I did that a few years ago with the Twilight books. I didn't think they were that great but it bothered me not knowing what happened in the next book haha. Who is the author of the Experiment in terror series?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #133
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:

Uh oh, I know what I'm going to be doing later! Watch me head over to Amazon.......zoom, gone!! Thanks for the recommendation!

ETA: Yes, I'm back that fast, lol. Just wanted everyone to know that the first book in this series is FREE! (for Kindle)

Last edited by Librarygirl; 01-13-2013 at 07:54 AM..
Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #134
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Uh oh, I know what I'm going to be doing later! Watch me head over to Amazon.......zoom, gone!! Thanks for the recommendation!

ETA: Yes, I'm back that fast, lol. Just wanted everyone to know that the first book in this series is FREE! (for Kindle)
Oh goodness, now I have another series I have to get.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Love to read! There are a lot of great recommendations here. Definitely going to pick some of these books up. I picked up Cleopatra:A Life today at Barnes and Noble, I've always wanted to find out more about her. She was so powerful I her shortish life. this book is supposed to be a much more accurate account than the Hollywood movie(Elizabeth Taylor) and other fictional stories that have swirled around about her.
The last book I read was The Wind up Bird Chronicle by Japanese author Haruki Murakami. I also read Norwegian Wood by the same author before that. Both novels were translated from Japanese. I liked Norwegian Wood better, but have mixed feelings about both-especially the endings.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #136
Established

Quote:

Yeah, the first book is free so you get totally hooked and end up buying the rest of the series They're pretty cheap though, I think $2.99-$3.99 per e-book
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
These are books my book club read over the past year and we loved all of them!

The Winter Sea … Susanna Kearsley
The Violets of March …Sarah Jio
Angelina’s Bachelors … Brian O’Reilly
The Thirteenth Tale … David Setterfield
A State of Wonder …Ann Patchett
Distant Hours …Kate Morton (The Forgotten Garden is very good,too)
Prayers for Sale …Sandra Dallas (all of her books are good!)
The Peach Keeper …Sarah Addison Adler (all her books are good!)
Unbroken …Lauren Hillenbrand (all her books are great!)
The Art of Racing in the Rain …Garth Stein
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet ….Jamie Ford
The Book Thief … Marcus Zusak (Young adult book but GREAT!)
Goal 140?
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #138
Big Yapper!!!!

Loving the first book, Sara! Perry is so funny with her sarcastic way of talking.

Thanks for the list, Annabelle. Some of those have been recommended by others too, so I know they must be good! Love your Avi!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #139
Established

Ok, just finished Into the Hollow by Karina Halle, the 6th installment in the Experiment in Terror series. A solid 5/5 star rating from me There's a couple .5 books I still need to read and then I'll be all caught up with the series until the new one comes out later this year.

My library hold of Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff is in transit and I'm hoping that comes in tomorrow. Though, after reading several Experiment in Terror books, I don't know if I'm up for more horror right now and Yovanoff's books are pretty dark. I really wish my library hold of The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst would come in soon, but the wait list is ridiculously long

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-13-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #140
Established

Ended up reading Rootless by Chris Howard today. This was a solid YA dystopian story from a debut author and I'll definitely read future books from him
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Ended up reading Rootless by Chris Howard today. This was a solid YA dystopian story from a debut author and I'll definitely read future books from him
I can never read a whole book in a day, I am impressed.
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #142
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm trying not to read the first Experiment in Terror book too quickly, because it's so good. Now this is a series I can sink my teeth into!
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #143
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I can never read a whole book in a day, I am impressed.
It was a fast paced book and I couldn't put it down!

Quote:
I'm trying not to read the first Experiment in Terror book too quickly, because it's so good. Now this is a series I can sink my teeth into!
Glad you're enjoying it
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
I got stuck on a boring con call this morning LOL and decided to do a quick and dirty list of all the books mentioned to date. It's not pretty but I wanted all the recs in one place for review so here it is for whoever else might want it!

The Winter Sea … Susanna Kearsley
The Violets of March …Sarah Jio
Angelina’s Bachelors … Brian O’Reilly
The Thirteenth Tale … David Setterfield
A State of Wonder …Ann Patchett
Distant Hours …Kate Morton (The Forgotten Garden is very good,too)
Prayers for Sale …Sandra Dallas (all of her books are good!)
The Peach Keeper …Sarah Addison Adler (all her books are good!)
Unbroken …Lauren Hillenbrand (all her books are great!)
The Art of Racing in the Rain …Garth Stein
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet ….Jamie Ford
The Book Thief … Marcus Zusak (Young adult book but GREAT!)
Rootless by Chris Howard today. This was a solid YA dystopian story from a debut author
Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff
The Marriage Bargain by Jennifer Probst
Experiment in Terror series, Karina Halle
Anne Fine's "The Killjoy" (1986) or
John Fowles' "The Collector" or
Ian McEwan's "The Cement Garden."
"The Meaning of Night: A Confession" by Michael Cox
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey, which is a YA horror story
Angelfall by Susan Ee
the clockwork princess by Cassandra Clare,
entwined in you by Sylvia day,
walking disaster by Jamie McGuire
Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich.
Stephanie Plum series
Life of Pi, Yann Martel
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Song of the Nile by our own Stephanie Dray for
The Roundhouse by Louise Erdrich
The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain
The Fault in our Stars by John Greene
Salvage the Bones by Jessmyn Ward
Come Closer, Sara Gran
One Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
Restless Souls: The Sharon Tate Family's Account of Stardom, the Manson Murders, and a Crusade for Justice
Swordpoint" a Neil Gaiman selection/production that's done like a radio play - fun listen. Reading
"The Stumpwork Robe" which was a Nookbook freebie a while back. Really enjoying it.
Half Broke Horses" by Jeanette Walls
Somewhere Inside, by Lisa and Laura Ling.
Xanth novels - Well Tempered Clavical
The Passage by Cronin and the sequel which is The Twelve.
The Princess Bride, re-done by William Goldman
"I am half sick of shadows: A Flavia DeLuce Mystery" by Alan Bradley
"Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History" by Ben Mezrich
"The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel" by Anthony Howitz
"The Road to Wigan Pier" by George Orwell (about life in working class Britain before WWII, stopped about halfway through)
"L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City" by John Buntin (about the history of crime and policing in Los Angeles)
"Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More than We Think" by Brian Wansink
"Death of a Witch: A Hamish Macbeth Mystery" by M.C. Beaton
The mortal instruments series by Cassandra Claire
Ann Rule books.
Philip Pullman 'His Dark Materials' books.
Shiver, Uglies, Pretties
Morgaville Vampire series
Sookie Stackhouse Vampire series,
the Drake Chronicles series
the Hate List
The Matched Series
House of Night Series
Nothing to Envy" or
"Escape from Camp 14"?
"The Glass Castle"
Percy Jackson & the Olympians
One Last Kiss, Michael Cuneo
Gone Girl
Ben Mezrich's book, "Bringing Down the House" or "Ugly Americans"
Liar's Poker" by Michael Lewis
Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson
Laurie R. King books
The Yiddish Policemen's Union - Michael Chabon (re-imagining Jews populating Alaska instead of Israel and a mystery)
Team of Rivals - Doris Kearns Goodwin (about Lincoln)
The Iron Druid Chronicles - Kevin Hearne (fantasy)
The Passage and the Twelve - Justin Cronin (post apocalyptic fantasy)
Wild - Cheryl Strayed - memoir of a troubled woman who hiked a trail alone, gripping
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey (haven't read yet but looks amazing)
Under the Banner of Heaven:A Story of Violent Faith - Jon Krakauer - Mormon history
The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara kingsolver
Mistborn Trilogy - Brandon Sanderson - awesome wizard fantasy
Enders Game Orson Scott Card - a trilogy, sci fi
Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini - awesome fantasy series
The Night Circus- Erin Morgenstern
The Shannara Series by Terry Brooks - not to be missed if you like fantasy
Stones from the River - Ursula Hegi
The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - story from a dog's POV
Moonwalking with Einstein - Joshua, Foer - true story of memory olympics, fascinating
Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand, WWII story of survival, not well written, but truly compelling story
The Book thief - markus Zusak
The road - Cormac mcCarthy
Guns, Germs and Steel - Jared Diamond
Raising Jake - Charlie Carillo
Infidel - Ayaan Hirsi Ali
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie - Alan Bradley
Isabelle Lucy Bird's "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
A Dog's Purpose
Untraceable by Laura Griffin
Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl," by Stacey O'Brien
Virginia Woolf's "Flush: A biography" (about Elizabeth Barrett Browning's cocker spaniel).
David Mitchell: Black Swan Green
Cloud Atlas (catch an interview with him if you care to re: the construction of this novel -- very exciting)
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
Joyce Carol Oates: A Widow's Story
Patrick deWitt: The Sisters Brothers
Michael Ondaatje: The Cat's Table (and anything else he writes)
Ian McEwan: Sweet Tooth (on my bedside table, next to read)
Saturday (also any of his early stuff)
Richard Ford: Canada (also on deck. His short story collections are also fabulous.)
Colum McCann: Let The Great World Spin
Ann Patchett: Bel Canto
Peter Carey: Parrot And Olivier in America
Barbara Kingsolver: anything (I've got Lacuna in my stack)
Anne Lamott: Bird by Bird (for any of you who want to or like to write)
Stephen King: On Writing (ditto)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Beautiful Disaster- Jamie McGuire
Bared to you & Reflected in you series(books 1-2 so far)- Sylvia Day
Divergent & Unsurgent- Veronica Roth
Matched & Crossed- Ally Condie
Fallen & Torment & Passion & Ratupture- Lauren Kate
Hush, hush & Crescendo & Silence & Finale- Becca Fitzpatrick
Delirium & Pandemonium- Lauren Oliver
The Hunger Games & Catching Fire & Mockingjay-Suzanne Collins
Ps I love you- Cecelia Ahern
The Mortal Instruments series (Books 1-5 so far)- Cassandra Claire
The Infernal Devices series (books 1-2 so far)- Cassandra Claire
Safe Haven- Nicholas Sparks
Fifty Shades series- E.L. James
Of Mice & Men - John Steinbeck
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Duma (Unabridged)
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Steinbeck - Cannery Row,"Sweet Thursday",Travels with Charley", East of Eden"
anything by Patricia Cornwell? I just adore Kay Scarpetta!
Julian Barnes Sense of an Ending
The Art of Fielding
The Sweetness of Tears
Back Swan Green
The Guernsey Literary and Sweet Potato Pie Society by Marianne Schaffer and Annie Barrows
Opal by Jennifer Armentrout (YA PNR)
Dead Sky Morning by Karina Halle.
Rebecca by du Maurier
James Herriott books - All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, etc
My Cousin Rachel"
Rebecca's Tale, Sally Beauman
The Night Strangers" by Chris Bohjalian
"The Map of Time" and "The Map of the Sky" by Felix J. Palma. Had a lot of fun with "Time" the first book
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.
The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Muriel Barbery.
Gillian Flynn's first book, Sharp Objects.
Denise Mina's mysteries? I suggest starting with "Field of Blood
Patricia Highsmith's work? They are excellent psychological mysteries.
Anne Fine's "The Killjoy" (1986) or
John Fowles' "The Collector" or
Ian McEwan's "The Cement Garden."
"Touch and Go" by Lisa Gardner
Body Farm series by Jefferson Bass
David Hunter series by Simon Beckett
The Wind up Bird Chronicle by Japanese author Haruki Murakami.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
TJ, thanks a lot...this will really be helpful!!!
shirlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #146
Established

Wow, thanks for putting a list together
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #147
Established

Bummed that my library holds didn't come in today Hopefully tomorrow-I've got 6 of them in transit right now!

So this afternoon I'm going to read a YA zombie/dystopia book, This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers. This book is getting a lot of buzz on book blogs and Goodreads right now so hopefully it's good
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, TryingJudd! What a thoughtful thing to do!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #149
Established

Finished This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers tonight. Another intense book-wow, I really need something light and fluffy next
Old 01-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee55
Stats: 198/194.4/160
Start Date: September 1, 2012
Thanks so much TJ. I was just making a list and I thought I would start on page 5 and work my way back. So glad I did, you made it so easy for me.
Lee55 is offline   Reply With Quote