Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131.8/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I just finished my guilty pleasure of the year. Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich. I love every one of her Stephanie Plum series. They're quick, easy, and super fun reads.

I just started Life of Pi. I'll let you all know how it is. So far, I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm enjoying it.
I love the Stephanie Plum books. I have 19 on hold at the library but it hasn't come in yet. Did you see the movie One For the Money? I was a bit disappointed with it.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
I just ordered "The Curious Incident..." from my library. Thanks for the recommendation on the other thread!
I loved that book. I ordered it for my mother as a rental book on CD, and she told me she didn't get anything done all day because she couldn't stop listening to it.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I saw the movie, and thought it was "okay." It was fairly true to the book, which I liked, but the characters are so much better in my head. Though I loved Lula in the movie!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
the last two weeks, I have enjoyed:

The Roundhouse by Louise Erdrich

The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain

The Fault in our Stars by John Greene

and

Salvage the Bones by Jessmyn Ward

I love time off from work!
Thanks for the recommendations, Ouizoid. I mostly listen to books on CD (rented from Booksfree, which works like Netflix but for audio books rather than movies.) I had "The Fault in Our Stars" in my queue there, and I just added "Beautiful Ruins" and "The Middlesteins."
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Another Amy Tan fan.
I am finally reading the Perfect Health by Jaminet and plan on going back for re-read of Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas. I mostly listen to books, because of the type of work that I do. My books that I have dl for listening next are, "Half Broke Horses" by Jeanette Walls and "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. Looking forward to seeing the movie.
I really liked "The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls, as well as "Half Broke Horses." I know that both are available as audio books.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I saw the movie, and thought it was "okay." It was fairly true to the book, which I liked, but the characters are so much better in my head. Though I loved Lula in the movie!
Yup, I loved Lula too! She makes me laugh the most in the books. If I start laughing while reading one of those books my hubby goes, "Lula is at it again isn't she"?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

My most recently listened to/read books were:

"I am half sick of shadows: A Flavia DeLuce Mystery" by Alan Bradley
"Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History" by Ben Mezrich
"The House of Silk: A Sherlock Holmes Novel" by Anthony Howitz
"The Road to Wigan Pier" by George Orwell (about life in working class Britain before WWII, stopped about halfway through)
"L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City" by John Buntin (about the history of crime and policing in Los Angeles)
"Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More than We Think" by Brian Wansink
"Death of a Witch: A Hamish Macbeth Mystery" by M.C. Beaton

I recommend the first two; the rest are okay, but I wouldn't highly recommend them unless they happened to match someone's particular interests.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
It's about monster hunters and the monster in this book is new to me . I'm also over vamps, but zombie books
Have your read The mortal instruments series by Cassandra Claire then? Its not really monsters...well weird looking demons, but its not a bad book series at all! Cant wait the first movie comes out end of August for this!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post

"Sex on the Moon: The Amazing Story Behind the Most Audacious Heist in History" by Ben Mezrich
"The Road to Wigan Pier" by George Orwell (about life in working class Britain before WWII, stopped about halfway through)
"L.A. Noir: The Struggle for the Soul of America's Most Seductive City" by John Buntin (about the history of crime and policing in Los Angeles)
I really like the Hamish Macbeth books and also Agatha Raisin written by the same author.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
If you like crime stuff at all, I can highly recommend any Ann Rule books. I think I have read them all at one point. I just gave a bunch of them away to pass them on.

If you have younger readers or just want something fun and light, Percy Jackson & the Olympians are a good bet. I read the whole series myself last year on vacation
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #41

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I read Life of Pi when it first appeared and totally loved it. I am going to see the movie, but I don't get anything from 3D as I am blind in one eye. Hope I enjoy it.

Curious incident is amazing and the Dragon Tattoo novels all gripped me.

I must read the Game of Thrones books too, but will see the series first as books are always better in my opinion and having watched the first series I don't want to be disappointed in the others.

Hope you have all read the Philip Pullman 'His Dark Materials' books.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I bought the book and read it. There is not a lot more in the book than is realy on his
web page except for a lot of information about this WOE ofton helps asthma a great
deal. But if you realy want it check out Amazon i bought a used hard back there for
$1 + shipping.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #43
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:

I recommend the first two; the rest are okay, but I wouldn't highly recommend them unless they happened to match someone's particular interests.
Yay, another Flavia de Luce fan Have you read Laurie R. King's Mary Russell series yet? I just read the first one, The Beekeeper's Apprentice, and it had the same feel as the Flavia de Luce series-the protagonist is 15 yrs old and takes on Sherlock Holmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Have your read The mortal instruments series by Cassandra Claire then? Its not really monsters...well weird looking demons, but its not a bad book series at all! Cant wait the first movie comes out end of August for this!!
I started the first one, but for some reason it didn't grab my attention and I never finished it. I keep hearing how great this series is though, so I really need to try it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
If you like crime stuff at all, I can highly recommend any Ann Rule books. I think I have read them all at one point. I just gave a bunch of them away to pass them on.

If you have younger readers or just want something fun and light, Percy Jackson & the Olympians are a good bet. I read the whole series myself last year on vacation
I've read the first Percy Jackson book and need to read the rest-really enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I read Life of Pi when it first appeared and totally loved it. I am going to see the movie, but I don't get anything from 3D as I am blind in one eye. Hope I enjoy it.

Curious incident is amazing and the Dragon Tattoo novels all gripped me.

I must read the Game of Thrones books too, but will see the series first as books are always better in my opinion and having watched the first series I don't want to be disappointed in the others.

Hope you have all read the Philip Pullman 'His Dark Materials' books.
Loved the His Dark Materials series! It's one I want to re-read at some point.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #44

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Over my vacation I read Shiver, it was good, not earth shattering.

I also read Uglies ( the first in a 4 book series ) I am not reading Pretties from that series. I love this series very much! I am a total TEEN reader. I've read all the Morgaville Vampire series, all the Sookie Stackhouse Vampire series, the Drake Chronicles series. I also recently read the Hate List. It is very good. It's about a school shooting. My next series will be The Matched Series. I have heard GREAT things about it. Then I plan to move to possibly the House of Night Series.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-12.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #45
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Over my vacation I read Shiver, it was good, not earth shattering.

I also read Uglies ( the first in a 4 book series ) I am not reading Pretties from that series. I love this series very much! I am a total TEEN reader. I've read all the Morgaville Vampire series, all the Sookie Stackhouse Vampire series, the Drake Chronicles series. I also recently read the Hate List. It is very good. It's about a school shooting. My next series will be The Matched Series. I have heard GREAT things about it. Then I plan to move to possibly the House of Night Series.
YA is my favorite genre too Ironically, when I was a teenager I only read adult books
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
My next series will be The Matched Series. I have heard GREAT things about it.
Matched was great, but the second and third book lost it. I wish I had stopped after book 1 and let my mind create the rest of the story.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #47
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie22boys View Post
I reading but have a hard time finding time to get reading done. The book I'm reading (actually, re-reading) is The Hobbit. Before that I read Somewhere Inside, by Lisa and Laura Ling. It's a true accounting of how one sister was captured and held in North Korea, and how her sister fought from the outside to get her free. It also gives a look at what it's like inside N. Korea and their people's perspective on Americans, etc. Very good read!
I'll add that to my list. I'm fascinated by what life is like in NK. Have you read, "Nothing to Envy" or "Escape from Camp 14"?

For those that like YA books, be sure to sign up for the summer reading program at audiobooksync. They put out two free audio books a week in the summer, matching a classic read with a contemporary YA book.

You can see the 2012 books here Free YA Audiobooks from SYNC – Summer listening schedule « The Reading Date

svenskamae, I loved "The Glass Castle". My mom was visiting while I was reading it and half way thru the book I thanked her for giving me a normal upbringing. Sunday, I have been wanting to read "Half Broke Horses" so will get that on my wish list (to add to the stack of books by the side of the bed).
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Wow, so many choices, lol! It's not like I don't have two notebooks filled with unread titles already. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
I really liked "The Glass Castle" by Jeanette Walls, as well as "Half Broke Horses." I know that both are available as audio books.
Half Broke Horses is Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults. I am a fan of historical tales and especially any chronicled stories of my grandparent's and great grand's era. My paternal grandmother was one of the first female jockey's and raced horses in Wyoming & her home town of Sheridan in the early 1900's. So, I seek out the late 1800's & early 1900's documentaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
I am intrigued w/ forensic science and enjoy non-fiction true crime mysteries. Rule is particularly good, because she ensures the victim is not forgotten. Ann is a former police detective who now also testifies before the Senate and regularly presents seminars to law enforcement agencies and the FBI.

I recommend Michael Cuneo also. In particular his book, "One Last Kiss" the story of Chris Coleman from Illinois who was head of security for the Joyce Meyer's Ministry and strangled his wife & two boys. Disturbing to say the least. As well as, shocked the nation. The story behind the scenes is riveting and unforgettable, and the forensic work is especially fascinating in nailing Chris, a former marine. I will never forget it.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 01-03-2013 at 08:46 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #50
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Wow, so many choices, lol! It's not like I don't have two notebooks filled with unread titles already. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Are you on Goodreads? That's where I keep my tbr list. Last year it had gotten to over 800 books so I did a major purge and now it's just over 100
Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I love a book club!! Now where is the wine and cheese and crackers? (it's always about food... haha). I just finished Gone, Girl by Gillian Flynn. I found it quite enthralling. The woman is involved in a very toxic marriage. I found myself continually trying to understand the bizarre psychology of the main character, but I never did guess the ending. I love books that I just can't put down.

Sunday, I like your review of Half Broke Horses as Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults. Now I have to read it. I loved the entire Laura Ingalls Wilder series and read them multiple times.

I LOVEhaving all these recommendations. Great thread idea.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #52
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I love a book club!! Now where is the wine and cheese and crackers? (it's always about food... haha). I just finished Gone, Girl by Gillian Flynn. I found it quite enthralling. The woman is involved in a very toxic marriage. I found myself continually trying to understand the bizarre psychology of the main character, but I never did guess the ending. I love books that I just can't put down.

Sunday, I like your review of Half Broke Horses as Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults. Now I have to read it. I loved the entire Laura Ingalls Wilder series and read them multiple times.

I think Gone Girl is one of the most recommended books I've seen in a long time (especially on Goodreads), and it's one I definitely have to read this year
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet311 View Post
Yup, I loved Lula too! She makes me laugh the most in the books. If I start laughing while reading one of those books my hubby goes, "Lula is at it again isn't she"?
OMG! We have had this conversation in my house too
Love the Plum series! Kinda disappointed in the movie..definitely not who I pictured for the characters...well, except maybe Lula..she was great!

Loving this thread, ladies! Half these authors I have never heard of so I'm getting myself an edjamacation

I'm reading 2 books right now..the 2nd Dragon Tattoo and a book written by my favorite teen idol hearthrob of the 80's John Taylor. I've been in school for 2 years and had zero time to read anything besides text books so I am veeerrrry behind in reading! After reading this thread my list is growing!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #54
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Oh, Danielle, how are you liking the 2nd Dragon Tattoo book? I haven't gotten it yet.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Oh, Danielle, how are you liking the 2nd Dragon Tattoo book? I haven't gotten it yet.
Love it! I had actually started it LAST December during semester break and then got like half way through and had to stop once school kicked in again..
I am starting over again..but excited that I'll get to finish it now that I am not in school anymore.

For fun, quick, and super humorous reading I LOVE love love Jen Lancaster....
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post

I just added "Gone Girl" to my Booksfree queue. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
sven, I will be listening to "The Glass Castle". I have heard it can be harrowing, difficult, I should have read it first, because it is her memoir, but already had "Half Broke" downloaded to listen and was too anxious. I feel like I know her, IRL, her whole family is so intriguing to me. It is sad that some people doubted that she was being truthful in her own memoir and yet her honesty about her childhood even though painful is what makes the book so endearing.

Just curious, have you read Ben Mezrich's book, "Bringing Down the House" or "Ugly Americans"? I am fascinated w/ both stories and have caught glimpses of the documentary on tv. Another I have, but have yet to read, "Liar's Poker" by Michael Lewis which is a similar story to "Ugly Americans" about Wall Street and the hedge fund cowboys.

Last edited by sunday; 01-03-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Half Broke Horses is Laura Ingalls Wilder for adults. I am a fan of historical tales and especially any chronicled stories of my grandparent's and great grand's era. My paternal grandmother was one of the first female jockey's and raced horses in Wyoming & her home town of Sheridan in the early 1900's. So, I seek out the late 1800's & early 1900's documentaries.
Have you read Isabelle Lucy Bird's "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains"? If not, I think you would love it. It's letters from a clergyman's daughter who rode through the West in the 1870s.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, You may want to read, "Glass Castles" first. Read my response above. It is difficult to read, but goes along with explaining her family. I can so relate and almost feel like I know her personally by her words. It definitely resonates with many who grew up in this period.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
sven, I will be listening to "The Glass Castle". I have heard it can be harrowing, difficult, I should have read it first, because it is her memoir, but already had "Half Broke" downloaded to listen and was too anxious. I feel like I know her, IRL, her whole family is so intriguing to me. It is sad that some people doubted that she was being truthful in her own memoir and yet her honesty about her childhood even though painful is what makes the book so endearing.

Just curious, have you read Ben Mezrich's book, "Bringing Down the House" or "Ugly Americans"? I am fascinated w/ both stories and have caught glimpses of the documentary on tv. Another I have, but have yet to read, "Liar's Poker" by Michael Lewis which is a similar story to "Ugly Americans" about Wall Street and the hedge fund cowboys.
I found "The Glass Castle" somewhat difficult to listen to, but I felt the author was amazingly fair in terms of her acknowledging advantages as well as disadvantages of having her unconventional parents.

I just added "Liar's Poker" and "Ugly Americans" to my Booksfree queue; thanks. You might like the documentary "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room," which seems like an expose in the same spirit and is really well done (and amazing).