Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #451
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I'd love to do this some day!

Read Don't Mess with Texas today and was really disapointed with it

Taking a break from romance and starting a horror/zombie book tonight, Devil's Wake by Steven Barnes and Tananarive Due.
Sheesh, ended up abandoning Devil's Wake too The character development was awful ugh.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #452
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I must re read some Maugham, I loved his books when I was younger.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:20 AM   #453
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Also read, "The Postman Always Rings Twice" yesterday. I had never read it. I wouldn't ever want to read it again though.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #454
Established

I am officially in a book funk, after abandoning yet another dud of a book yesterday Part of my problem is my tbr list is really small right now, so I've been getting books that I haven't read reviews on (just browsing shelves at the library). I think I need to spend some time on Goodreads and get my tbr list loaded up with books that have good reviews, so I have a plan for when I go to the library. Last year my tbr list was over 800 books but then I did a major purge and right now it's at about 50 (and not all of them are available through my library).

I do have Poison by Bridget Zinn, a YA fantasy, that's gotten good reviews, so I think I'll start it this afternoon.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #455
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
How frustrating, mom23kids. Hope you find something soon.

I bought "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls at B&N's online weekend ebook sale. I loved "The Glass Castle" so am sure I'll enjoy this one. I'll be starting it when I finish my current Jill Mansell book. I've been on a JM binge of late. This is the last one I have (sigh).
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #456
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I am officially in a book funk, after abandoning yet another dud of a book yesterday Part of my problem is my tbr list is really small right now, so I've been getting books that I haven't read reviews on (just browsing shelves at the library). I think I need to spend some time on Goodreads and get my tbr list loaded up with books that have good reviews, so I have a plan for when I go to the library. Last year my tbr list was over 800 books but then I did a major purge and right now it's at about 50 (and not all of them are available through my library).

I do have Poison by Bridget Zinn, a YA fantasy, that's gotten good reviews, so I think I'll start it this afternoon.
Young Adult Novel - Birthmarked trilogy by Caragh M. O'Brien

Its very very good so far!! 50% through first one and already looking at getting the second. I am enjoying it when I have a spare moment to read it!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #457
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I went to B&N last week and browsed their mystery shelves (those are my favorite). I ended up seeing a few new Cozy series and went online when I got home and put in requests for 8 books. The next day 5 came in! I read Buried in Buttercream and Death of a Kitchen Diva this weekend. They were really quick reads. I also have The Tudor Secret that I started 2 weeks ago. I usually have 2 books being read at once. I get anxious if I have nothing to read so I keep a magazine or 2 on hand at all times. I like Ellery Queen's Mystery magazine in a pinch.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #458
Established

After a long line of duds, I read an excellent book last night, a YA fantasy called Poison by Bridget Zinn. I loved the voice of this book and the humor had me laughing out loud. It was the author's debut book, and was published posthumousley. A really good writer, gone to soon

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-09-2013 at 06:26 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #459
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
How frustrating, mom23kids. Hope you find something soon.

I bought "Half Broke Horses" by Jeannette Walls at B&N's online weekend ebook sale. I loved "The Glass Castle" so am sure I'll enjoy this one. I'll be starting it when I finish my current Jill Mansell book. I've been on a JM binge of late. This is the last one I have (sigh).
I downloaded a Mansell book from the library (my first one!!) based on this, and I love it! Thank you. I think it's entitled, "What happened to Virginia".
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #460
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I downloaded a Mansell book from the library (my first one!!) based on this, and I love it! Thank you. I think it's entitled, "What happened to Virginia".
Haven't read that one so will be checking my library.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #461
Established

Started the second book in the Amelia Peabody series last night, The Curse of the Pharoahs, by Elizabeth Peters and I it so far. I'm also skimming through Mark Lauren's book, You are Your Own Gym, while waiting for my library hold of his book geared towards women to come in.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #462
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Haven't read that one so will be checking my library.
OOOOooops!!!! I don't know how I did it, but I really did think it was a Mansell book. It's called, "Tending to Virginia" by Jill McCorkel. I think that last name is spelled right LOL. Anyway, it's very good, and even referenced the town I live in!!! Florence, S.C.! Still not sure how I thought it was Mansell.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #463
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
OOOOooops!!!! I don't know how I did it, but I really did think it was a Mansell book. It's called, "Tending to Virginia" by Jill McCorkel. I think that last name is spelled right LOL. Anyway, it's very good, and even referenced the town I live in!!! Florence, S.C.! Still not sure how I thought it was Mansell.
Well, if you got a book with a local feel, and discovered a new author you like, it's all good, I'd say.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #464
Major LCF Poster!

I was telling my daughter about this thread and she said to tell you all if you like YA novels to read: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I downloaded it and am gonna try to get to it. Actually I have had it downloaded for a while, just other books have caught my interest more just didnt tell her that lol!!.....but I will definetly getting to it this week for sure now.

She also said The Maze runner series is just the best YA dystopian novels too. But I dont think I want to read those. I know hubby read them and loved them too.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #465
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking of YA novels, Audiobooksync has announced their summer reading series. Starting end May you can download two audio books a week FREE. Katiebubb, your daughter might be interested in these. They use Overdrive software for the downloads, the same software most libraries use, and once you download them they are yours forever. Not a temporary loan like a library download.

They pair a contemporary YA novel with a similarly-themed classic. You can download one or both. You can go to the site and sign up for email or text alerts to remind you each week.

I've been bugging the librarian I work with on my volunteer job at the library and she didn't know about it and is planning to promote it this year.

SYNC Titles
Summer 2013

May 30 – June 5, 2013
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, read by Rebecca Gibel (AudioGO)
The Tempest by William Shakespeare, read by a Full Cast (AudioGO)

June 6 – June 12, 2013
The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, Book 1: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood, read by Katherine Kellgren (HarperAudio)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, read by Wanda McCaddon (Tantor Audio)

June 13 – June 19, 2013
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, read by Will Patton (Scholastic Audiobooks)
Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya, read by Robert Ramirez (Recorded Books)

June 20 – June 26, 2013
Once by Morris Gleitzman, read by Morris Gleitzman (Bolinda Audio)
Letter From Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr., read by Dion Graham (christianaudio)

June 27 – July 3, 2013
Rotters by Daniel Kraus, read by Kirby Heyborne (Listening Library)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, read by Jim Weiss (Listening Library)

July 4 – July 10, 2013
Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford, read by Nick Podehl (Brilliance Audio)
She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith, read by a Full Cast (L.A. Theatre Works)

July 11 – July 17, 2013
The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann, read by Peter Altschuler (HarperAudio)
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, read by Simon Vance (Tantor Audio)

July 18 – July 24, 2013
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, read by Erin Moon (Recorded Books)
Hamlet by William Shakespeare, read by a Full Cast (L.A. Theatre Works)

July 25 – July 31, 2013
The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen, read by Charlie McWade (Scholastic Audiobooks)
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain, read by Steve West (Blackstone Audio)

Aug 1 – Aug 7, 2013
Death Cloud by Andrew Lane, read by Dan Weyman (Macmillan Audio)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, read by Ralph Cosham (Blackstone Audio)

Aug 8 – Aug 14, 2013
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis, read by Katherine Kellgren (Brilliance Audio)
Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, read by Miriam Margolyes (Bolinda Audio)

Aug 15 – Aug 21, 2013
Sold by Patricia McCormick, read by Justine Eyre (Tantor Audio)
Let Me Stand Alone by Rachel Corrie, read by Tavia Gilbert (Blackstone Audio)
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #466
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grannysmith
Stats: 226/ 218/ 145 53, 5'7
WOE: Half-fast diet, LC, GF
Start Date: Every day! 3.14 (repeats endlessly)
how many here have Kindles? I got a free download of 65 proof-Jack Daniels, J.A. Konrath...a collection of mystery, thriller, horror short stories, so far I'm liking it.
grannysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #467
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
I was telling my daughter about this thread and she said to tell you all if you like YA novels to read: The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I downloaded it and am gonna try to get to it. Actually I have had it downloaded for a while, just other books have caught my interest more just didnt tell her that lol!!.....but I will definetly getting to it this week for sure now.

She also said The Maze runner series is just the best YA dystopian novels too. But I dont think I want to read those. I know hubby read them and loved them too.
I've read both of these trilogies and they're amazing!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #468
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Speaking of YA novels, Audiobooksync has announced their summer reading series. Starting end May you can download two audio books a week FREE. Katiebubb, your daughter might be interested in these. They use Overdrive software for the downloads, the same software most libraries use, and once you download them they are yours forever. Not a temporary loan like a library download.

They pair a contemporary YA novel with a similarly-themed classic. You can download one or both. You can go to the site and sign up for email or text alerts to remind you each week.

I've been bugging the librarian I work with on my volunteer job at the library and she didn't know about it and is planning to promote it this year.

SYNC Titles
Summer 2013

May 30 – June 5, 2013
Of Poseidon by Anna Banks, read by Rebecca Gibel (AudioGO)
The Tempest by William Shakespeare, read by a Full Cast (AudioGO)

June 6 – June 12, 2013
The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, Book 1: The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood, read by Katherine Kellgren (HarperAudio)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, read by Wanda McCaddon (Tantor Audio)

June 13 – June 19, 2013
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, read by Will Patton (Scholastic Audiobooks)
Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya, read by Robert Ramirez (Recorded Books)

June 20 – June 26, 2013
Once by Morris Gleitzman, read by Morris Gleitzman (Bolinda Audio)
Letter From Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr., read by Dion Graham (christianaudio)

June 27 – July 3, 2013
Rotters by Daniel Kraus, read by Kirby Heyborne (Listening Library)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, read by Jim Weiss (Listening Library)

July 4 – July 10, 2013
Carter Finally Gets It by Brent Crawford, read by Nick Podehl (Brilliance Audio)
She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith, read by a Full Cast (L.A. Theatre Works)

July 11 – July 17, 2013
The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann, read by Peter Altschuler (HarperAudio)
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, read by Simon Vance (Tantor Audio)

July 18 – July 24, 2013
Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, read by Erin Moon (Recorded Books)
Hamlet by William Shakespeare, read by a Full Cast (L.A. Theatre Works)

July 25 – July 31, 2013
The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen, read by Charlie McWade (Scholastic Audiobooks)
The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain, read by Steve West (Blackstone Audio)

Aug 1 – Aug 7, 2013
Death Cloud by Andrew Lane, read by Dan Weyman (Macmillan Audio)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, read by Ralph Cosham (Blackstone Audio)

Aug 8 – Aug 14, 2013
Enchanted by Alethea Kontis, read by Katherine Kellgren (Brilliance Audio)
Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll, read by Miriam Margolyes (Bolinda Audio)

Aug 15 – Aug 21, 2013
Sold by Patricia McCormick, read by Justine Eyre (Tantor Audio)
Let Me Stand Alone by Rachel Corrie, read by Tavia Gilbert (Blackstone Audio)
Is this a trial thing where you have to give your cc number? I have an MP3 that I could use to download some audiobooks...if I can find it.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #469
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

No CC needed, it's ABSOLUTELY free and no catch. It's designed to interest teens/young adults in reading and classics. They hope that by offering these as audio books, they will get more teens interested in reading. Some of these are stand-alone YA novels but others are first in a series, like Maggie Stiefvater's book. The second is coming out shortly. She let them use another of her books last year and even before the program was setting up this year, approached them to offer her book.

This is why the library where I volunteer is talking about getting involved with it this year. There is a link for educators and librarians, so you can download posters, bookmarks, etc to promote it with the YA crowd.

I've been doing this for 3 years, and no problems.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #470
Established

Quote:
No CC needed, it's ABSOLUTELY free and no catch. It's designed to interest teens/young adults in reading and classics. They hope that by offering these as audio books, they will get more teens interested in reading. Some of these are stand-alone YA novels but others are first in a series, like Maggie Stiefvater's book. The second is coming out shortly. She let them use another of her books last year and even before the program was setting up this year, approached them to offer her book.

This is why the library where I volunteer is talking about getting involved with it this year. There is a link for educators and librarians, so you can download posters, bookmarks, etc to promote it with the YA crowd.

I've been doing this for 3 years, and no problems.
Very cool! Also, Raven Boys is my least favorite book by Maggie-her other books are absolutely amazing, especially The Scorpio Races

Read a so so romance this weekend, Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. It started out a 5 and by the end of the book it was a weak 3

Also read Body By You, by Mark Lauren, which is a non-fiction strength training book, and I'm starting the plan today

Next up is an urban fantasy by Karen Chance, Midnight's Daughter.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #471
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

BTW, once you download the audio book, it is yours. No expiry, no limits. It's in your Overdrive until you delete it. I also upload the files into iTunes as a backup.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #472
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Midway through the Neal Shusterman Unwind trilogy. Apparently there is going to be an Unwind movie in the future.

Sort of same genre as Hunger Games, but I like them better...
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #473
Big Yapper!!!!

I'll look for that blou! I'm reading the first Gallagher Girl series. Pretty cute, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it, lol.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #474
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Midway through the Neal Shusterman Unwind trilogy. Apparently there is going to be an Unwind movie in the future.

Sort of same genre as Hunger Games, but I like them better...
Thank you! I will have to look for that. I loved the Hunger Games, and most of those types of books.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #475
Big Yapper!!!!

I just downloaded "An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green. It is a YA book, but it is BRILLIANT!!! I am absolutely convinced I'm going to love every bit of it (I've read about 5 pages so far). The writing is so superior to any YA book I've read recently, and I just wanted to recommend it to all of you. It was available at my public library's web site.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #476
Established

Quote:
I just downloaded "An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green. It is a YA book, but it is BRILLIANT!!! I am absolutely convinced I'm going to love every bit of it (I've read about 5 pages so far). The writing is so superior to any YA book I've read recently, and I just wanted to recommend it to all of you. It was available at my public library's web site.
John Green is an amazing writer-his book Paper Towns is one of my all time favorites! I haven't read this one yet-just put a library hold on it
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #477
Big Yapper!!!!

It's so funny! I definitely will read anything else he's written too.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #478
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Just finished "The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce.
It's a beautiful story, gently unfolding, poetic, uplifting.

I found it on Kindle, while looking for "The art of hearing heartbeats", as recommended by CindyK.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #479
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossyliz View Post
Just finished "The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry" by Rachel Joyce.
It's a beautiful story, gently unfolding, poetic, uplifting.

I found it on Kindle, while looking for "The art of hearing heartbeats", as recommended by CindyK.
The Unlikely Pilgrimage has been on my tbr list for a while-I need to bump it up!

I'm very slowly working my way through Elizabeth Peter's book, The Curse of the Pharaohs, which is the second book in her Amelia Peabody series. Really good, just not a lot of time to read right now.

Last edited by mom23kids; 04-20-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #480
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

I've finished two Kindle one-time freebies, now $2.99/$3.99, in the last few days:

The Fall of Anne Boleyn: A Countdown. This is a day-by-day account of the events leading up to the execution of Anne Boleyn. The author's extensive research gave me new insight into Lady Jane Rochford's supposed part in the guilty verdicts among other things. If you love Tudor fiction, this is an especially good read.

Ridiculous. This is a different take on the Regency Romance. Our proper heroine, her widowed mother, and dear sisters have fallen on hard times as there was nothing for them in Father's (second son of a Baron) estate. A cousin agrees to take them in and on arriving they find they are now his servants, as he's too miserly to support them any other way. When he dies of fever, our Millicent takes his place, and rather enjoys the freedoms of living as a man. As she works to find good marriages for her sisters, she knows she will never marry. Thus, she must soon meet the perfect man. Very fun book.

Last edited by Zib; 04-21-2013 at 06:20 AM..