Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-in-texas View Post
I am so jealous of all of ou who read all these books. How do you do it? I have a kindle...or do most of you just get books from the library? I haven't been to the library since my kids were small-so like 10 years!!
I've been scouring Amazon for their free Kindle books - they have tons! Plus really inexpensive ones. I signed on a couple of weeks ago, went through and downloaded a bunch.

I've always wanted to be an avid reader, but it comes and goes. But threads like this and the one in the PG keep it going. Plus, getting lost in my Kindle is great on a Down Day!

Oh, and ... what's a library??
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I've been scouring Amazon for their free Kindle books - they have tons! Plus really inexpensive ones. I signed on a couple of weeks ago, went through and downloaded a bunch.

I've always wanted to be an avid reader, but it comes and goes. But threads like this and the one in the PG keep it going. Plus, getting lost in my Kindle is great on a Down Day!

Oh, and ... what's a library??
Hey now dont put us librarians out of a job here...

I have tons downloaded on my ipad and I cannot hardly stand to read electronic print...guess i am an oldie, as I like to have written print i can hold in my hand...so i love my library and love librarians... lol....

I am in an elem school and we have books and then books on the students ipads, they like the electronic better of course also
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
VL, I have gotten lots of free books on my kindle too! Especially the classics-you can get just about every classic for free. I want to order Silver Linings Play Book, but my son has been borrowing my kindle for the last few weeks arrggghh
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
Hey now dont put us librarians out of a job here...

I have tons downloaded on my ipad and I cannot hardly stand to read electronic print...guess i am an oldie, as I like to have written print i can hold in my hand...so i love my library and love librarians... lol....

I am in an elem school and we have books and then books on the students ipads, they like the electronic better of course also
I love real books much better too! I have books everywhere in my housen the fireplace mantle, book shelves, sofa table, beside my bed, kitchen shelves, everywhere! I take the covers off hard back books, and use them as decoration, as a lamp stand, candle plate, as art, to prop stuff up...love them! And I've read all of my "deco" books.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #395
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I love "real" books too! I love the feel of them in my hands, and even the smell of them! I'm weird, I know! I also read on Kindle, but my preference is a good old book in my hand! And Sher, I have shelves and stacks all over my house too!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
VL, I have gotten lots of free books on my kindle too! Especially the classics-you can get just about every classic for free. I want to order Silver Linings Play Book, but my son has been borrowing my kindle for the last few weeks arrggghh
LOVED the movie
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
I am so jealous of all of ou who read all these books. How do you do it? I have a kindle...or do most of you just get books from the library? I haven't been to the library since my kids were small-so like 10 years!!
I have a very boring job 50% of the time and reading gets me through my day!! I have a kindle I find free or very cheap books to read. If I like a book very very, I buy it in paper or hard back and add it to my shelf. I like the kindle better because I can weed out the books I dont like so much.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
I love "real" books too! I love the feel of them in my hands, and even the smell of them! I'm weird, I know! I also read on Kindle, but my preference is a good old book in my hand! And Sher, I have shelves and stacks all over my house too!
you're not weird, I totally get loving the smell of books. I love the smell too, and the smell of libraries, and one of my favorite hobbies is going in to used bookstores, I can spend hours!!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #399
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
I go to my local library 2-3 times a week I get both kindle ebooks and regular books from there
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'm going to give this library thing a try... we don't have a very good ibrary system where I live, so we shall see...
Old 03-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #401
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I'm a regular at my local library. I walk in and sometimes they just go to the shelf and get the books I put on hold LOL If I have a fine they say don't worry about it just pay it whenever...they know I will be back soon!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #402
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
A mixed bag here. I go to the library for DTB (dead tree books), buy used books at their quarterly sale or in their little shop w/in the library, get freebies for Nook, buy books for my Nook, and we recently got a Kindle Fire so my husband is reading on that occasionally. I also download audio books from both Audible and from my library via Overdrive. I love that option! I rarely get an ebook from the library, but I have.

I love my library, too, and am starting my volunteer job there with my training on Friday.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #403
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I love books and libraries. I am a member of the public library, where they often have way more popular fiction that we do at our academic library. I have found, though, that I prefer my Kindle!! I have gotten spoiled and love to read in bed with it. Holding a book in bed has become an annoyance now. Plus, I LOVE being able to get what I want immediately! I don't have the ability to download every book I want, but I do buy quite a few from Amazon. I still read "books" of course too. I guess it's just something that I've always made time for, without really "making time". Just like anything else you enjoy doing, you put other things aside in order to do them.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #404
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Just downloaded two audio books from our library. I'd been on the wait list for both, one for just 2-3 weeks and the other for about 6 weeks. So I now have "Gone Girl" and "The Panther" on my MP3 player. Brother #1 raved about The Panther and brother #3 recommended GG to me.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #405
Major LCF Poster!

I librarians!!!! I'm such a packrat that I so wish I'd gotten a Kindle when they first hit the market. I look around at all the books I have and how much space they take up, since we don't have any kind of bookshelf. It's kinda like seeing all the music CD's laying around gathering dust since I got my first iPod a few years ago.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #406
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
Just downloaded two audio books from our library. I'd been on the wait list for both, one for just 2-3 weeks and the other for about 6 weeks. So I now have "Gone Girl" and "The Panther" on my MP3 player. Brother #1 raved about The Panther and brother #3 recommended GG to me.
Gone Girl is excellent. Enjoy!

I'm reading "Inquiry into Love & Death". Did you recommend it? It is good so far!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #407
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Gone Girl is excellent. Enjoy!

I'm reading "Inquiry into Love & Death". Did you recommend it? It is good so far!
I just finished it and really enjoyed it! Her other book, The Haunting of Maddy Clare is really good too!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #408
Big Yapper!!!!

I also just read, "You Came Back" and don't remember the author's name. It's new so it would be easy to find on Amazon or at the library. It's about a man who's son fell down the stairs and died when he was 10 yo. The story takes place seven years later and is the aftermath of the father trying to deal with the tragedy, his (ex) wife, and now a mysterious stranger who claims her house, his *old* house, is haunted. By his son.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Just finished Touch and Go. The usual twist at the end but I kinda saw it coming. Was still pretty good.
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #410
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
As my avi would suggest, I LOVE books. However, I was starting to need larger print and was stuggling to read real books. My Kindle has been a godsend. I buy most of my books in the Kindle sales, that's how I picked up Hunger Games for 99p. I love to read in bed, all snuggled up in the warm!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #411
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I downloaded Gone Girl a couple of days ago. Looking forward to it.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #412
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
I reviewed The Panther for Library Journal. It is veryyyyyy long. It's good but typical of Nelson DeMille. No surpises, unfortunately.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #413
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
I reviewed The Panther for Library Journal. It is veryyyyyy long. It's good but typical of Nelson DeMille. No surpises, unfortunately.
I enjoyed Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. Have placed "The Panther" in my TBR list.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #414
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I noticed when it downloaded that it was something like 16 parts, equivalent to 16 CDs. That's okay, tho, as I can go thru a few hours on a sleepless night.

Anyone else here get emails from bookclubcookbook? They review books, recommend food to serve at book club meetings, have interviews (and recipes) from authors, and regularly have drawings for new book giveaways. I've won a couple of times.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

I've got "Gone Girl" on my Wish List, but haven't gotten it yet. Still reading "Pearl", which I'm liking and will be finished with today or tomorrow.

LG, "You Came Back" sounds like a book right up my alley. I love spooky, ghostly things.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #416
Established

Currently reading The Rising, by Brian Keene-I do love a good zombie book
Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #417
Big Yapper!!!!

My next pick will be Harlan Coben's new one, "Six Years". I love almost anything by this author, so I know I'll be getting this one ASAP!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 03-21-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #418
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking of long books, during the night I finished listening to "Brother Fish" and would recommend this. It's about 2 Korean War veterans (one Australian, one American/one white, one black), who survive the POW camps because of each other. They become lifelong friends. Their friendship includes a proper lady, a town leader, from the Australian's hometown. A good story and I learned quite a bit about the Korean War, the forgotten war, I didn't know.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #419
Established

Just finished Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters and absolutely adored it It's the first book in the Amelia Peabody mystery series and it was loads of fun, already put a hold on the second book in the series
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #420
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
huge reader here too,but I havent read many of the books on this thread.

This Month
Dale Cramer-
Though Mountains Fall
Regina Jennings-
Sixty Acres and a Bride
Lori Copeland-
The Heart’s Frontier –
A Plain and Simple Heart –
A Cowboy at Heart –
Love blooms in winter
Under the summer Sky
Shelley Shepherd Grey-