Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM   #361
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
I just finished listening to "Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India During World War II".

Am I typical as an American in that I was unaware of this? Britain relied on India for silk for parachutes, crops for food stocks for the troops, and for troops to keep the Japanese out. Many of the military decisions resulted in famine. Churchill's policies ovr the course of the war continued the famine.

It was shocking to me to hear of his low opinion of the Indian people and often racist comments to others. He even asked an official in India why Mahatma Ghandi was still alive. When he met Indira Ghandi after the war he did apologize to her for the wartime treatment of India, which he was determined to keep as a colony of the British empire.
Wow, you read such intellectual books-the one I just finished was about goblin-man hotties
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #362
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Oh yeah, we did a load of bad stuff. Probably still are, politicians.........
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #363
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
I don't have any plans in the near future for South Carolina but I would love to come speak at your library. I'll be passing your way to go to an event in Atlanta Georgia this summer...
Really?!! It's actually the public library and I'm trying to get on the board. I thought if I could bring you in, it might help my chances. Seriously, I mentioned your name to the president of the public library "Friends of the Library" president and he was very interested. I work at a university library here. We'd love to have you too, but usually do our visiting authors in April (2 authors a year), and there's lots of publicity. I'll talk to you more about all of this, if you really are interested.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #364
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
Wow, you read such intellectual books-the one I just finished was about goblin-man hotties
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Ugh, the writing & character development were just awful, IMO.
And I'm so sick of the abused-girl-turns-into-a-ninja trope.

I don't remember details at this point, but I have the lingering memory of thinking that an abusive person might enjoy reading it.
I just sort of felt ill and ashamed of myself...
not in that "manipulated by really good writing and identifying too much with the characters" way, more like a "saw somebody get hurt and walked away without helping them" way.

But, I also **!!!hated!!! The DaVinci Code, and The Celestine Prophecy, and a bunch of other books that "everybody" loved, so millions & millions of people disagree with my opinions!

I'm steering clear of the 50 Shades books, though...
I actually liked the dragon trilogy and thought the writing was awesome! I liked how strong Lisbeth was, and how smart and how she was able to overcome. There was one very particular disturbing part of the book which I mentally blocked out but I loved the story

ETA- one of the junior 11th grade teachers in the town where I lived assigned Girl with the Dragon Tatoo to her honors English class. There is NO WAY I would have let my 11th grader read it!

Last edited by hot-in-texas; 03-13-2013 at 08:23 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Just finished reading Jane Eyre-on of my very favorites of all time. I will never tire of it
Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #367
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
erm, full disclosure here....I read all kinds of books and have lots of fun light mysteries on my Nook, and read the entire werewolf series by Nicky Charles (it starts with "The Mating") and it's definitely werewolf hotties lit.

But when Audible has a sale I buy mostly non-fiction. For some reason books I couldn't get thru if I was reading them, I devour as audio books. This one is a good example of that.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #368
Established

Quote:
erm, full disclosure here....I read all kinds of books and have lots of fun light mysteries on my Nook, and read the entire werewolf series by Nicky Charles (it starts with "The Mating") and it's definitely werewolf hotties lit.

But when Audible has a sale I buy mostly non-fiction. For some reason books I couldn't get thru if I was reading them, I devour as audio books. This one is a good example of that.
I really need to start audiobooks, they'd be perfect for when I walk!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #369
Big Yapper!!!!

Good idea, Sara. I need a device to listen to books! What do you all recommend?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #370
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

I'm old school, LibraryGirl and have a $40 MP3 player that holds 4G, and have had it for 3 or 4 years. I can also use it to download books from our library system (they use Overdrive). Come summer, Sync Audio offers free YA audio books, pairing a contemporary book w/a similarly-themed classic. And they use Overdrive, too. (the Overdrive site has lots of info on compatible devices)

If I was a modern girl, I'd put them on my smart phone, but I have an older and pretty basic phone. I use my MP3 player as a sleep aide, usually tucked into my tank top, so it's probably good that I can't accidentally, um "boob call" someone in the middle of the night.

BTW, with Audible, if you sign up for the two free books trial, and hesitate at the monthly fee for credits, you can cancel your membership before any fees hit. Then you'll get an immediate offer for an annual membership. It's $10 a year and all you get for that is the ability to buy books. There are occasional free books offered and I always load up when they have a sale for $4.95 or $6.95.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos

Last edited by Zib; 03-14-2013 at 09:14 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #371
Established

Quote:
I'm old school, LibraryGirl and have a $40 MP3 player that holds 4G, and have had it for 3 or 4 years. I can also use it to download books from our library system (they use Overdrive). Also, come summer, Sync Audio offers free YA audio books, pairing a contemporary book w/a similarly-themed classic. And they use Overdrive.

If I was a modern girl, I'd put them on my smart phone, but I have an older and pretty basic phone. I use my MP3 player as a sleep aide, usually tucked into my tank top, so it's probably good that I can't accidentally, um "boob call" someone in the middle of the night.
Our library uses overdrive too, i'll have to see if i can use it with my phone
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #372

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
I'm old school, LibraryGirl and have a $40 MP3 player that holds 4G, and have had it for 3 or 4 years. I can also use it to download books from our library system (they use Overdrive). Also, come summer, Sync Audio offers free YA audio books, pairing a contemporary book w/a similarly-themed classic. And they use Overdrive.

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #373
Established

Figured out how to get overdrive on my phone and i have the Edgar Alan Poe audio collection downloading now from my library I think I'll use audio books for walking and start going through all the classics ive been wanting to get through
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #374
Established

Started The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime, this afternoon. It's making me dizzy Good, but hard to follow.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #375
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

That's how it made me feel, Mom23kids. I think it's worth it as it gives you a unique view of autism.

I often had the same experience with "Silver Linings Playbook" as it is from the perspective of a man with mental illness and anger issues.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #376
Big Yapper!!!!

OMG, I have a smart phone and didn't realize I could do that lol. I doubt my battery would last more than an hour. Good idea and thank you, Zib!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #377

The Curious Incident is an amazing book. It is being staged here in London at present, we were lucky enough to see it in 'the round' when it first opened a year ago. It deservedly gets 5* reviews.

I am a lover of the Dragon Tattoo books too, horses for courses, lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #378
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I'm reading another Thursday Next book,
plus a book by Christopher Hitchens.
In the latter, I have to read some of the sentences and paragraphs over & over to unravel them!
The parts I do understand--I get my mind blown 2 or 3 times per page! I hope I end up smarter after this!

For example:
"Everything which is explained through positing something different from the act of understanding can be explained without positing such a distinct thing." --William of Ockham
Nope! Still don't get it!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-15-2013 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: example
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #379
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
After reading your recommendations re The Hunger Games, I bought the first one in a Kindle sale. Enjoyed it so much that I bought the other two. They were great too! I enjoyed the social and political comment that underlay the gripping plot.

Wanting more Suzanne Collins, I downloaded the Underworld Chronicles, which are fantasy rather than dystopia, and aimed at a slightly younger audience. I'm half way through book three and can heartily recommend them so far, as well-written and entertaining. The underlying theme is similarly about the folly of war and the benefits of co-operation, with a hard look at xenophobia and some implied political comment thrown in.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #380
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Underworld Chronicles sound really good!
I might check out Hunger Games, too.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #381
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I just finished a book called Wait for me. I cant remember the author but OMGoodness it was sad, and happy and sweet and every emotion you could think of. Its in the New Adult catagory....I bought it because a friend recommended it and I just loveeeeeeedddd it........I actually started re-reading it as soon as I was done with it.
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #382
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Finally started reading Touch and Go. It seems like it's going to be really good!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #383

Just bought Wait for Me. Sounds lovely.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #384
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm reading the YA novel, "Holes". I think I saw the movie a long time ago...might look for it again. Great book!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Just bought Wait for Me. Sounds lovely.
Oh I hope you like it!!! I so very much loved it!! Cam and Avery are just the most perfect book couple! Her friends are riots and just hmmmm such a sweet book around a horrid event.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #386
Established

Ended up abandoning The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime, I just couldn't get into it because it was so over the place/distracting. I may pick it back up at some point down the road though.

This weekend I read An Inquiry Into Love and Death by Simone St. James and it was excellent! This is her second book and she's fast becoming one of my favorite authors
Old 03-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #387
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Which time?
-Just finished "The Hunger Games" trilogy (now gotta see the movie). Loved them but just when I got to the end of the first one, a friend informed me it was a trilogy! I thought the third one dragged a little, but once it picked up it was as good as the other two.

Reading:
- "... then just stay fat." by Shannon Sorrels (this has been HUGE in helping me keep on the JUDDD track)
- "Pearl" by C.E. Weisman

I've been loading up my Kindle with freebies and you can bet I'm steering clear of books that are trilogies or series for now.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
Did anyone else read The Curious Incident of the WMDs in Iraq?
Ruthlessly black political satire - and absolutely hilarious!
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

so excited for tomorrow!!!! I pre-ordered the last book for the cassandra clare infernal devices book.. The clockwork Princess....it will be delivered to my kindle in the am!! Have been looking forward to it!!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

I am so jealous of all of ou who read all these books. How do you do it? I have a kindle...or do most of you just get books from the library? I haven't been to the library since my kids were small-so like 10 years!!