Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I love YA literature!!!

Have any of y'all read the Georgia Nicolson books? (by Louise Rennison)
Silly but HILARIOUS!!!
These have often cheered me up on gloomy days.
A *guy* friend in his 30s recommended them to me...
(We're both also Dostoyevsky fans. )
My son read them when he was about 12 and loved them.
One time when I was reading them, I laughed so hard and long that I slid off the couch and was literally drooling on myself, because I couldn't stop laughing long enough to close my mouth!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #332
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I love YA literature!!!

Have any of y'all read the Georgia Nicolson books? (by Louise Rennison)
Silly but HILARIOUS!!!
These have often cheered me up on gloomy days.
A *guy* friend in his 30s recommended them to me...
(We're both also Dostoyevsky fans. )
My son read them when he was about 12 and loved them.
One time when I was reading them, I laughed so hard and long that I slid off the couch and was literally drooling on myself, because I couldn't stop laughing long enough to close my mouth!!!
Just put a library hold on the first one in the series-these look great
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
by Jamie McGuire? If that's the one you're referring to-I read almost 300 books last year and that's the ONLY book I gave a 1 star rating to, absolutely hated it I thought it portrayed an abusive relationship in a very positive light and actually made me a bit sick to my stomach. Seeing this type of relationship first hand with a friend, and watching her have to go to a battered women's shelter after the abuse continued to escalate, takes the 'glamor' out of the possessive guy scenario for me But the vast majority of the people who have read this book loved it. Go figure lol.
Now see I was one who loved it. I never got the abuse idea out of it. I thought Travis was more a child in a young adults body. He needed to grow up. He was a poor kid who grow up without a mom and in a house of men and didn't know the correct way to be around woman but he never hit Abby so never thought abuse.

I know what the other book is beautiful b.a.s.t.a.r.d. I haven't heard much other than its going to be a movie and people love the book. I thought about checking it out but haven't had a chance. It's in the top 25 in kindle book as I think so it must be good!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #334
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Now see I was one who loved it. I never got the abuse idea out of it. I thought Travis was more a child in a young adults body. He needed to grow up. He was a poor kid who grow up without a mom and in a house of men and didn't know the correct way to be around woman but he never hit Abby so never thought abuse.

I know what the other book is beautiful b.a.s.t.a.r.d. I haven't heard much other than its going to be a movie and people love the book. I thought about checking it out but haven't had a chance. It's in the top 25 in kindle book as I think so it must be good!
I think I'm like the only person on the planet who didn't like Beautiful Disaster It's got a crazy high rating on Goodreads! But, it just didn't click with me at all. Ah well!

eta: just looked up the other one, Beautiful Bas... and ended up buying it for my kindle

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-08-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #335
Established

Ok, I'm 70% done with Beautiful b.a.s.t.a.r.d. and wow, this is good stuff It's like 50 Shades of Grey, but without the annoyingly weak heroine, depressing angst and whips
Old 03-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #336
Established

Just finished B.B.and gave it a high five star rating If you like romance books that are a bit more raunchy, then this book is for you
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Quote:
Just finished B.B.and gave it a high five star rating If you like romance books that are a bit more raunchy, then this book is for you
oh yeah, then it is for me......whats an elem school librarian to do? lol

thanks for the review, i will have to purchase it.....

I have 50 shades and for some reason couldnt get past the middle of 1st book....guess i should try again since it got rave reviews also
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #338
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
oh yeah, then it is for me......whats an elem school librarian to do? lol

thanks for the review, i will have to purchase it.....

I have 50 shades and for some reason couldnt get past the middle of 1st book....guess i should try again since it got rave reviews also
I have a hate/love relationship with the 50 Shades trilogy. The writing was really quite awful and I could not stand tbe female protagonist. But I could'nt put the darn things down and read all three books in one weekend. The first book is definitely the weakest one in my opinion and the story does pick up steam the further into it you get.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #339
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Speaking of "Beautiful" books - has anyone read "Beautiful Ruins"? It gets rave reviews as well.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have a hate/love relationship with the 50 Shades trilogy. The writing was really quite awful...But I could'nt put the darn things down...
That's how I felt about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Usually when I don't like the writing, I can put the book down...as a cheaper alternative to flinging it across the room in a fit of rage (since I get all my books from the library) but I actually wanted to know what happened!!! A few chapters in, I felt like a dirty dirty scumbag for reading it. And I was a bit disturbed to recall some of the people I saw reading it and who said it was good...including my son's grandfather!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #341
Established

Quote:
That's how I felt about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Usually when I don't like the writing, I can put the book down...as a cheaper alternative to flinging it across the room in a fit of rage (since I get all my books from the library) but I actually wanted to know what happened!!! A few chapters in, I felt like a dirty dirty scumbag for reading it. And I was a bit disturbed to recall some of the people I saw reading it and who said it was good...including my son's grandfather!
I haven't read the book but we did see the movies (the non Amercian version). They were pretty messed up lol.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

I like 50 shades, book three was my favorite. A better read than 50 is The crossfire series by Sylvia Day (reflected in you, bared to you, and soon Entwined to you). Really really really loveeeeeee those books. Not alot of the raunchy and an actual story to it! A story that keeps you reading too, because you just have to know what happened!!!

I did break down and got B.B. but I havent started reading it yet. My mouth has been hurting and I cant get into reading at the moment. I also got the Birthmarked series, cant rememeber the author but its a dystopian type book series.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I haven't read the book but we did see the movies (the non Amercian version). They were pretty messed up lol.
Ugh, the writing & character development were just awful, IMO.
And I'm so sick of the abused-girl-turns-into-a-ninja trope.

I don't remember details at this point, but I have the lingering memory of thinking that an abusive person might enjoy reading it.
I just sort of felt ill and ashamed of myself...
not in that "manipulated by really good writing and identifying too much with the characters" way, more like a "saw somebody get hurt and walked away without helping them" way.

But, I also **!!!hated!!! The DaVinci Code, and The Celestine Prophecy, and a bunch of other books that "everybody" loved, so millions & millions of people disagree with my opinions!

I'm steering clear of the 50 Shades books, though...

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-09-2013 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: add quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I dont normally read those kind of books, well not that I admit to most people. But I got caught up in the "OMG Fifty Shades" movement. I have to admit its a nice mind escape. I wish I had thier money, there ability to travel, and so on and so on....lol!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Steph, do you ever come down to S.C.? Our public library would love to have you come and talk!
I don't have any plans in the near future for South Carolina but I would love to come speak at your library. I'll be passing your way to go to an event in Atlanta Georgia this summer...
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I dont normally read those kind of books, well not that I admit to most people. But I got caught up in the "OMG Fifty Shades" movement. I have to admit its a nice mind escape. I wish I had thier money, there ability to travel, and so on and so on....lol!!!
Part of my reason is that I have been single--I mean, EXTREMELY single--for seven years, and don't want to read anything that will get me too frustrated!!!

And from the reviews/synopses I've read...well...
I tend to prefer when the woman has the upper hand, if you know what I mean!

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-09-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #347
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Ugh, the writing & character development were just awful, IMO.
And I'm so sick of the abused-girl-turns-into-a-ninja trope.

I don't remember details at this point, but I have the lingering memory of thinking that an abusive person might enjoy reading it.
I just sort of felt ill and ashamed of myself...
not in that "manipulated by really good writing and identifying too much with the characters" way, more like a "saw somebody get hurt and walked away without helping them" way.

But, I also **!!!hated!!! The DaVinci Code, and The Celestine Prophecy, and a bunch of other books that "everybody" loved, so millions & millions of people disagree with my opinions!

This is exactly how I felt about the Dragon Tattoo series, though I read them all. It was disturbing, and yet drew me in, wanting to know how she fared. I "enjoyed" them in that I couldn't stop reading, but didn't "enjoy" how they made me feel, if that makes sense.

I tend to get really into series, rather than stand-alone books. I'm not sure why, other than my mild OCD, and needing to see something through to the end. I also tend to read everything by the same author if I find one book that I like by that author. Even if the rest are bad, I have to read everything they've put out. And if a book is bad, I can't usually just walk away from it. I won't read something else until I've finished it, and that can take months because I look at it like a chore instead of a pleasure.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #348
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
Speaking of "Beautiful" books - has anyone read "Beautiful Ruins"? It gets rave reviews as well.
Haven't heard of it-off to look it up on Goodreads

Quote:
I like 50 shades, book three was my favorite. A better read than 50 is The crossfire series by Sylvia Day (reflected in you, bared to you, and soon Entwined to you). Really really really loveeeeeee those books. Not alot of the raunchy and an actual story to it! A story that keeps you reading too, because you just have to know what happened!!!

I did break down and got B.B. but I havent started reading it yet. My mouth has been hurting and I cant get into reading at the moment. I also got the Birthmarked series, cant rememeber the author but its a dystopian type book series.
I've read the first Crossfires book and enjoyed it-need to put the other two on my tbr list

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
This is exactly how I felt about the Dragon Tattoo series, though I read them all. It was disturbing, and yet drew me in, wanting to know how she fared. I "enjoyed" them in that I couldn't stop reading, but didn't "enjoy" how they made me feel, if that makes sense.

I tend to get really into series, rather than stand-alone books. I'm not sure why, other than my mild OCD, and needing to see something through to the end. I also tend to read everything by the same author if I find one book that I like by that author. Even if the rest are bad, I have to read everything they've put out. And if a book is bad, I can't usually just walk away from it. I won't read something else until I've finished it, and that can take months because I look at it like a chore instead of a pleasure.
I'm the opposite-I have a 50 page rule and if the book hasn't grabbed my attention by the first 50 pages I abandon it. I abandoned over 50 books last year So far this year I've abandoned around 10 and that number will definitely climb as the year progresses lol.

I'm part way through the non-fiction book, Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting, by Gina Kolata, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I had no idea there was such a history of dieting, going back to the 1800s! It's surprising (and sad) how the same diets are just recycled over and over again, with the same results. IF is a new idea though (not mentioned at all in the dieting history section of the book), so that's pretty cool that we're on the forefront of something that is truly new and break through

eta: I looked up Beautiful Ruins and it sounds good-GR is also having a giveaway drawing going on for it so I entered

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-10-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #349
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Zib--I adored Beautiful Ruins--and his first Book, The Financial Lives of Poets--What a talented guy--
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #350
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, ouizoid. I've just reserved the audio CDs at my library. It sounds like it would be a lovely book to listen to.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Been reading Dave Duncan's series Handful of Men and Man of His Word, they are sequential..which always makes me happy. Nice fantasy.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #352
Established

Finished, Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata. Wow, this is a must read! It's not a dieting book promoting a specific plan. Instead it looks at the history of obesity and dieting and also many of the studies that have been done in recent years about obesity- everything from psychology to how the brain reacts to genes (the study that found the 'skinny' gene Leptin is discussed in detail). In the midst of this there's a 'story' woven throughout, that follows a two year study that put half its participants on Atkins and the other half on the low calorie LEARN diet, which is the plan that many medical centers use (the gold standard for the low calorie diet). There is so much information in this book, my mind is reeling! Very, very good and really eye opening!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #353
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/130.4/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Rethinking Thin sounds good! I will look for it.
Touch and Go came in at the library so I will start it soon. Right now I'm reading Mary Jane Clark's Footprints in the Sand. All of her Piper Donovan books are fun, light reads!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Reading beautiful bast.ard now and laughing.....ok so I know what fan fiction it was based on....didn't even change the names!!! It's still pretty good so far!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #355
Established

Quote:
Reading beautiful bast.ard now and laughing.....ok so I know what fan fiction it was based on....didn't even change the names!!! It's still pretty good so far!
A lot of the reviews were scathing because of the fan fiction rip off-but since I don't read fan fiction it wasn't a factor for me The 50 Shades trilogy got a lot of flack for this too.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #356
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
A lot of the reviews were scathing because of the fan fiction rip off-but since I don't read fan fiction it wasn't a factor for me The 50 Shades trilogy got a lot of flack for this too.
Oh I love fan fiction. There is a site I go to often to read it. I love other people's point of view on my favorite books. Sometimes the fans have better stories! I didn't realize this book was fan fiction until I came across the names! Just struck me as funny!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #357
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am just so behind on my reading. Still struggling with Amy Tan!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #358
Established

Read Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster today. It's labeled a steampunk romance but it was pretty light on steampunk. A decent story though and I'll read the next one in the series at some point.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #359
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

I just finished listening to "Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India During World War II".

Am I typical as an American in that I was unaware of this? Britain relied on India for silk for parachutes, crops for food stocks for the troops, and for troops to keep the Japanese out. Many of the military decisions resulted in famine. Churchill's policies ovr the course of the war continued the famine.

It was shocking to me to hear of his low opinion of the Indian people and often racist comments to others. He even asked an official in India why Mahatma Ghandi was still alive. When he met Indira Ghandi after the war he did apologize to her for the wartime treatment of India, which he was determined to keep as a colony of the British empire.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zib View Post
It was shocking to me to hear of his low opinion of the Indian people and often racist comments to others. He even asked an official in India why Mahatma Ghandi was still alive.

Well, I was born almost 30 years after that war, but, no, I've never heard anyone in the US talk about this.

In more bad news, I recently found out that Gandhi had a very low opinion of black people!