Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #301
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131.8/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
I am almost done with Splintered. I will definitely finish it before I go to bed tonight. I got an unexpected score at the consignment shop today. I had never been there before and was just looking around. I saw a bookshelf and was not going to go near it (I promised myself I would not BUY any books only go to the library from now now) but I saw a "health" section and found The Alternate Day Diet Book!!! Whoo Whoo 3 bucks!! They did not have it in my library system at all so i could not request it and I was going to order a used one from Amazon but I'm so glad I waited! I read about 20 pages so far. It is so interesting!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I have to say that I am enjoying Outlander now. I am a little over half-way, and it's gotten much better. It must be a big book...not sure of the pages (on Kindle). I have put off reading my "have to read" book for LJ. Will have to speed-read it next week, because I think I want to read one other book before I start it.
Yay! So glad you're finally enjoying it. Warning though, it gets graphic and really stomach-turningly violent. I wish she did not dwell on all the medical injuries... :P

Meanwhile, I have just finished a book called GHOST ON THE THRONE by James Romm. It's a non-fiction book about the chaos following Alexander the Great's death and finally made sense of some puzzling things for me. It was as good as a novel, as historical non-fic seldom is.

Oh, are any of you on Goodreads? If so, find me there!
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #303
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Yay! So glad you're finally enjoying it. Warning though, it gets graphic and really stomach-turningly violent. I wish she did not dwell on all the medical injuries... :P

Meanwhile, I have just finished a book called GHOST ON THE THRONE by James Romm. It's a non-fiction book about the chaos following Alexander the Great's death and finally made sense of some puzzling things for me. It was as good as a novel, as historical non-fic seldom is.

Oh, are any of you on Goodreads? If so, find me there!
I'm on GR, but just use it to keep track of books. No friends or part of any groups.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #304
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I'm on GR, but just use it to keep track of books. No friends or part of any groups.
Well, if you want to change that, add a friend request to me as STEPHANIE DRAY (if you're a serious historical/woman's fiction lover) or STEPHANIE DRAVEN (if you like to read books you don't want your mom to find out about.)
Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #305
Established

Quote:
Well, if you want to change that, add a friend request to me as STEPHANIE DRAY (if you're a serious historical/woman's fiction lover) or STEPHANIE DRAVEN (if you like to read books you don't want your mom to find out about.)
I would definitely fall into the second category
Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #306
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
I will be adding both, please.

I finished Outlander finally. Yes, it did get graphic but nothing even close to Resident Evil 6. I'm about to read "Indiscretion" by Charles Dubow. I love these dark, suspenseful kind of books more than any other! Hope it's delicious.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #307
Established

Finished the new Flavia de Luce mystery, Speaking from Among the Bones, by Alan Bradley. This is such a fun mystery series!

Next is Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi. This is the sequel to Under the Never Sky and it's a really amazing YA dystopia series!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #308
Big Yapper!!!!

Finished "Indiscretion" a couple of days ago and do not recommend it. Mediocre writing, glib, trite storyline....been there, done that a thousand times plot. No redeeming qualities and no surprises. Very disappointing.

Downloaded Michael Cox's second gothic thriller just now. Plan to spend the rest of the evening curled up with that.

Not sure how I'm going to review the book, "You" that I've been assigned. It's geared toward a very specific audience: gamers, and is not in the least something I enjoy. I'm having a hard time even getting half way through it. I will do my best, but may not be able to even finish it. ugh.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I just finished "Assassination Vacation" by Sara Vowell (as an audio book). I recommend it to people who like quirky essays; it's reminiscent (IMO) of the work of David Sedaris, Amy Sedaris, or David Rakoff.

I'm listening to "The Inventor and the Tycoon." Thank you to whoever recommended that book.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Finished "Indiscretion" a couple of days ago and do not recommend it. Mediocre writing, glib, trite storyline....been there, done that a thousand times plot. No redeeming qualities and no surprises. Very disappointing.

Downloaded Michael Cox's second gothic thriller just now. Plan to spend the rest of the evening curled up with that.

Not sure how I'm going to review the book, "You" that I've been assigned. It's geared toward a very specific audience: gamers, and is not in the least something I enjoy. I'm having a hard time even getting half way through it. I will do my best, but may not be able to even finish it. ugh.
Hmm, sounds like something my eldest child might like. Is it suspense?
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #311
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, it's supposed to be suspenseful. I haven't gotten far enough into it yet lol. It's about a guy who gets his dream job with a video game company and is going to design games. Quite technical and mentions a lot of old school games...if he likes that, then he will like it. It will be published in April.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 AM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hot-in-texas
Quote:
Yes, it's supposed to be suspenseful. I haven't gotten far enough into it yet lol. It's about a guy who gets his dream job with a video game company and is going to design games. Quite technical and mentions a lot of old school games...if he likes that, then he will like it. It will be published in April.
Cool, sounds right up his alley, thx!
hot-in-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #313
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am struggling a bit with Amy Tan's 'Saving Fish from Drowning" and I usually enjoy her books. I downloaded it because we enjoyed a wonderful trip to Burma a couple of years ago, but I am not gripped at all. I can't like any of the character and don't really care what happens next! I will plough on though. .

Last edited by Kissa; 02-25-2013 at 06:31 AM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I finally got through Ken Follett's WINTER OF THE WORLD. As an author, I can only shake my head and say that as a matter of art and story structure, the book is a total flipping disaster.

But as a reader? It was totally addictive anyway, like all his books.

He knows how to make you hate someone. He knows how to build on generational emotions. He knows how to teach without seeming like he's teaching. If you ever wanted to know anything about our country's history, this trilogy will surprise even history nerds like me.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
Just finished Tenth of December by George Saunders. Imaginative short stories. Very compelling. Also loved The Tragedy of Arthur by Arthur Phillips
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Just bought and finished The Selection by Keira Cass. I enjoyed it but it was quite a Hunger Games rip off. So many of the people the same personality, the story progressed the same, etc etc....the only difference this was about princes and princess's and fighting to be chosen to be queen. I still enjoyed it quite a bit!

I also read The City of the Damned series.....cant remember who wrote it, but I enjoyed it. I only got it because kindle had it cheap 2.99 for the 4 books.

Now cant wait til tues when I will have the 3 book to the delirum series in my hands!! Then on March 19th I beleive it is, I will have the 3 book in the clockwork series by Cassandra Clare!!!

Then April brings, the second book to The Selection series and then my second most waited on book this year...Walking Disaster by Jamie Mcguire!! The first most waited on wont be out til May and thats the 3rd book to Sylvia Day's crossfire series!!! lol!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #317
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Hey, fellow readers. Been on a road trip for the last 2-1/2 weeks and got some good reading in while travelling.

11/22/63 from Steven King. I love time travel stories and enjoyed this one. English teacher is shown, by a friend, an opening in time to a specific day in 1958. The friend wants him to go and prepare to prevent the killing of JFK by Oswald.

Silver Linings Playbook. My brother recommended it as he cannot imagine seeing the movie without having read the book. This is written from the viewpoint of a guy recently with mental illness, so it can be confusing and frustrating reading at times. It reminded me of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night" which is told by a young boy with autism. Both are well worth reading.

Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things. FASCINATING and when you are done with this book you will see why the crews on "Hoarders" never make any progress. The book is about a long-term study the author has done and therapies he has developed for hoarders, and the many different types of hoarders. You will finish the book with tremendous sympathy as you'll see it as an illness.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #318
Established

I've been in a reading slump, after reading a couple books I was really looking forward to and having them be duds But, I'm getting back into it this week-just picked up The 8 Hour Diet by David Zinczenko and Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch, as well as The End of Overeating by David Kessler. I'm not in the fiction reading mood right now so I'm going to focus on non-fiction books about health/nutrition this month
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I stumbled upon a really fun/clever author...Jasper Fforde!

I've literally been laughing and snorting out loud for hours.

The book I picked happened to be 7th in the "Thursday Next" series...
it stands alone, but I'd like to get the other books and read them in order.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #320
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Just bought and finished The Selection by Keira Cass. I enjoyed it but it was quite a Hunger Games rip off. So many of the people the same personality, the story progressed the same, etc etc....the only difference this was about princes and princess's and fighting to be chosen to be queen. I still enjoyed it quite a bit!

I also read The City of the Damned series.....cant remember who wrote it, but I enjoyed it. I only got it because kindle had it cheap 2.99 for the 4 books.

Now cant wait til tues when I will have the 3 book to the delirum series in my hands!! Then on March 19th I beleive it is, I will have the 3 book in the clockwork series by Cassandra Clare!!!

Then April brings, the second book to The Selection series and then my second most waited on book this year...Walking Disaster by Jamie Mcguire!! The first most waited on wont be out til May and thats the 3rd book to Sylvia Day's crossfire series!!! lol!!!
I loved The Selection's cover, but the book fell flat for me and I ended up abandoning it (agree that it was a HG copy-cat). A shame because the author knows how to write, but lacked creativity for her plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I stumbled upon a really fun/clever author...Jasper Fforde!

I've literally been laughing and snorting out loud for hours.

The book I picked happened to be 7th in the "Thursday Next" series...
it stands alone, but I'd like to get the other books and read them in order.
Will have to check this author out

Recent books I've read-The 8 Hour Diet by David Zinczenko (all the research he used supported alternate day IF (JUDDD) and not an eating window IF

Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole: Good ideas in theory, not practical for probably most people though

Thin For Life by Anne Fletcher: Loved this one! Lots of great wisdom for how to have the right mindset for weight loss and long term maintenance

and one YA fiction: The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade-this was surprisingly good!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #321
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I love the Thursday Next books. I started with book 2. I mean, how can you resist a book titled, "Lost in a Good Book"?
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/223/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 1/2014
Has anyone happened to of read Beautiful *******?....have heard great reviews but have not read it myself,,,wondering if anyone of my JUDDD buds had
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #323
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
Has anyone happened to of read Beautiful *******?....have heard great reviews but have not read it myself,,,wondering if anyone of my JUDDD buds had
by Jamie McGuire? If that's the one you're referring to-I read almost 300 books last year and that's the ONLY book I gave a 1 star rating to, absolutely hated it I thought it portrayed an abusive relationship in a very positive light and actually made me a bit sick to my stomach. Seeing this type of relationship first hand with a friend, and watching her have to go to a battered women's shelter after the abuse continued to escalate, takes the 'glamor' out of the possessive guy scenario for me But the vast majority of the people who have read this book loved it. Go figure lol.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #324
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
by Jamie McGuire? If that's the one you're referring to-I read almost 300 books last year and that's the ONLY book I gave a 1 star rating to, absolutely hated it I thought it portrayed an abusive relationship in a very positive light and actually made me a bit sick to my stomach. Seeing this type of relationship first hand with a friend, and watching her have to go to a battered women's shelter after the abuse continued to escalate, takes the 'glamor' out of the possessive guy scenario for me But the vast majority of the people who have read this book loved it. Go figure lol.
this one is by Christina Lauren and i believe is part of a series that goes with beautiful stranger also....as far as i know it just came out....i hope it isnt the same, i am like you and would have no interest in the one your describing...
Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #325
Established

Just got notice that a bunch of my library holds are in Here's what's on my reading agenda for next couple weeks-

-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (fiction)
-The Map of the Sky by Felix Palma (second time I'm checking this out, first time I didn't get to it in time-steampunk/time travel)
-The Madness Underneath by Maureen Johnson (loved the first book in this YA series, The Name of the Star-YA paranormal/ghost)
-Kiss of the Goblin King by Shona Husk (got to get in some cheesy pnr once in a while The first book in the series, The Goblin King, was actually really good!)
-Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster (steampunk romance )
-City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster (YA fantasy/dystopia)
- Rethinking thin : the new science of weight loss-- and the myths and realities of dieting by Gina Kolata (non-fiction)

and I'm so excited to see that my hold of An Inquiry Into Love and Death by Simone St. James is in transit! This is a mystery/historical fiction story by the author of The Haunting of Maddy Clare, which was one of my favorite reads of last year!

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-08-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #326
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
this one is by Christina Lauren and i believe is part of a series that goes with beautiful stranger also....as far as i know it just came out....i hope it isnt the same, i am like you and would have no interest in the one your describing...
Different books
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oh it bleeped out the last word...thats what made it weird...sorry...B<A<S<T<A<R<D is the one i was asking about..jamie mcguire wrote beautiful disaster...sorry i confused everyone
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #328
Big Yapper!!!!

Just finished reading a young adult novel that I enjoyed. It's called "Keeping You a Secret", by Julie Peters. It's about a coming of age/coming out teen girl and her first real love. I would like to read more by this author!
Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #329
Established

Quote:
Just finished reading a young adult novel that I enjoyed. It's called "Keeping You a Secret", by Julie Peters. It's about a coming of age/coming out teen girl and her first real love. I would like to read more by this author!
Off to check it out on on GR

Have you read any of Sarah Dessen's books? She does a beautiful job of writing rich, memorable YA coming of age stories
Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #330
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Ok, I finally got through Ken Follett's WINTER OF THE WORLD. As an author, I can only shake my head and say that as a matter of art and story structure, the book is a total flipping disaster.

But as a reader? It was totally addictive anyway, like all his books.

He knows how to make you hate someone. He knows how to build on generational emotions. He knows how to teach without seeming like he's teaching. If you ever wanted to know anything about our country's history, this trilogy will surprise even history nerds like me.
Steph, do you ever come down to S.C.? Our public library would love to have you come and talk!