Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Anybody Juddding Wheat-free??

I just read the book "Wheat Belly" and it scared the crap out of me. And I cannot deny, my joint pain goes waaaaay up when I hit the wheat products. Has anybody given up the devil wheat gluten? If so, what kind of differences, if any, has it made to your process and your body?

Also, I'd love a tried and true gluten free bread recipe that doesn't taste like a science experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong if anybody has one...

thanks!
--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Patty, I don't do wheat as a rule. Hasn't ever agreed with my body. When I eat it, I ache, I bloat, my GI tract is whacked, and my skin gets weird. So for me, it's good bread about three times a year (which is easy, 'cause most bread isn't worth it) and a few challenges with travel.
I don't replace it with anything. If I were more creative, I might, but it's not a big deal when you're used to it.
I skimmed that book and enjoyed it, but he was preaching to the choir.
Hope it goes well for you.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
I just read the book "Wheat Belly" and it scared the crap out of me. And I cannot deny, my joint pain goes waaaaay up when I hit the wheat products. Has anybody given up the devil wheat gluten? If so, what kind of differences, if any, has it made to your process and your body?

Also, I'd love a tried and true gluten free bread recipe that doesn't taste like a science experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong if anybody has one...

thanks!
--patty
I am wheatfree. Haven't read the book, it is on my list.

However, Blonde w/a Rose did! She also had the holy crap scared out of her! It must be pretty convincing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

She also works at a famous restaurant that is known for wheat. She may know a few gluten free recipes. Check out her journal.

I have used very small amounts of almond & coconut flour mixed in with a bit of xanthum gum for pancakes before. The PHD recommends tapioca flour & rice flour, which I have not tried, but am looking forward to.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I should but I don't always being as how I am allergic to wheat. BUT when I am completely wheat free I do not try to replace bread and wheat products. Just eliminate the wheat and go on. After awhile you don't even miss it.
I make a pretty good flaxseed pancake though.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
We avoid wheat as some of the additives in flour are a problem for our family(son and mother have a citric acid/ascorbic acid intolerance). We don't try to replace it with anything and as time goes by we don't miss it much. I can bake with specific flours so we have it occasionally when I have the time for baking but I have to really want it. I do think wheat makes me hungrier. I thought it was all carbs until the potato hack proved that wrong to me. Does the book talk about increased appetite with wheat or is it more of a GI problem with wheat? I think I will add it to my reading list.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zagnut
Stats: 143/119/118
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: 5/24/12-LC 12/1/12-LC JUDDD
I am wheat free, I feel terrible when I do happen to eat something with it in (like on the holiday that just passed), bloated, GI problems, tired.
If I want muffins or cupcakes etc, I'll use almond flour and/or coconut flour.
I've tried flax and it didn't agree with me either, and I just didn't care for the taste, so I don't use it.
zagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
We avoid wheat as some of the additives in flour are a problem for our family(son and mother have a citric acid/ascorbic acid intolerance). We don't try to replace it with anything and as time goes by we don't miss it much. I can bake with specific flours so we have it occasionally when I have the time for baking but I have to really want it. I do think wheat makes me hungrier. I thought it was all carbs until the potato hack proved that wrong to me. Does the book talk about increased appetite with wheat or is it more of a GI problem with wheat? I think I will add it to my reading list.
The book has a whole chapter about why wheat makes people hungrier, so it's not just you, it does the same thing to me. There's a wheat polypeptide that actually binds to the brains opiate receptors, and this effect can be blocked by the opiate blocking drug naloxone. Freaky, huh? no wonder I can't stop eating cookies and bread!
--patty
Old 12-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I believe I'm alergic to gluten..so I stopped anything with wheat...I found some gluten free pasta that was pretty good..also found some breads online, from Julian's Bakery..I bought one at a local health food store...and it was pretty bad...like rubber to chew,and it cost almost 8 bucks for one loaf...so I can't recommend it..I guess I need to read that book also, thanks for sharing about it.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Patty, I don't do wheat as a rule. Hasn't ever agreed with my body. When I eat it, I ache, I bloat, my GI tract is whacked, and my skin gets weird. So for me, it's good bread about three times a year (which is easy, 'cause most bread isn't worth it) and a few challenges with travel.
I don't replace it with anything. If I were more creative, I might, but it's not a big deal when you're used to it.
I skimmed that book and enjoyed it, but he was preaching to the choir.
Hope it goes well for you.
More power to you for going cold turkey. My problem is I love to bake, it'll be so hard to give it up. Even though I've experimented with some gf substitutes with varying results, I know my insulin will be happier if I don't hit it with alot of starchy wheat substitutes. Guess I will just have to find some alternative creative outlets...
--patty
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I go through cycles. One day I eat something with wheat or gluten in it and have a horrible reaction. So I stop eating wheat/gluten. Then a month or so later I try it again (usually in the form of one of my sister's amazing pies or breads) and nbd. Maybe I am allergic to some additive?

I read the book several times. And I am old enough to remember when the new dwarf wheat appeared and 'saved' the world.

Anyway, I rarely eat anything with gluten in it. But, by nature, I seem to be Primal with desserts

Oh, in my experience gf breads need to be refridgerated/frozen and are only - and barely - palatable when toasted. And, as Dr D says in the book, most gf products are very high calorie with additives that are vewwy, vewwy high on the glycemic index - highly questionable for anyone with blood glucose issues.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Well I've had loads of wheat over Christmas and my back is really aching. Maybe that's the reason?

I've read Wheat Belly and it's very convincing. Thank god Christmas is nearly over now and I can stop having to eat wheat. With al the pudding and pies you really are a party pooper if you try to be wheat free.

You can make wonderful cakes with just almond flour so that's what I do normally.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
More power to you for going cold turkey. My problem is I love to bake, it'll be so hard to give it up. Even though I've experimented with some gf substitutes with varying results, I know my insulin will be happier if I don't hit it with alot of starchy wheat substitutes. Guess I will just have to find some alternative creative outlets...
--patty
I cook quite a lot and don't eat wheat or any other grains. I don't miss bread; I use flax crackers and raw veggies as "cracker/bread" replacements, and zucchini noodles, shiritaki, and steamed greens where I would once have used noodles or rice.

Consider trying some of the paleo and primal cookbooks. I like "Paleo Comfort Foods," "Practical Paleo," "Well Fed," "The Primal Blueprint Cookbook." There are some recipes for baking, but more for making tasty and interestingly spiced savory dishes (main dishes, vegetables, side dishes). Maybe you could use non-baked goods cooking as your creative outlet? Or maybe the recipes using nut meals and coconut flours would work as occasional treats for you?

I hope you find something that works for you. When I started eating lowcarb a year ago, I would have been quite upset at the idea of going without grains for the year or the rest of my life, and now I think it's one of the best decisions I ever made.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I'm interested in gluten-free eating and am working towards it. I bought a couple of books when I was on vacation recently and have found a number of Paleo and Gluten Free posters on Pinterest. I also like Chocolate-Covered Katie who is vegan. If you click on her nutritional info she has changes for her recipes that make them sugar free, gluten free, and even soy free.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
DW has been told that she should not touch gluten with a 10 foot pole. She's not ready to make that switch, but I'd love to give it a whirl for her. I'm not sure that it has a huge effect on me although I'm sure in many ways I'd be better with out it. I don't know if you have a Home Goods where you live but at the 2 Home Goods by me they have a really big selection of gluten free yummies. I may have to buy a few and see if DW could be convinced to give it a try.

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Me again. I found that trying to find wheat substitutes was an expensive hobby that took up a lot of my time and money. Buying ingredients with high hopes and ending up with something the dog would not eat. Just a perspective from my life. If I want a cookie I eat a real cookie. BUT most of the time I am pretty good unless carrot cake is involved.

So my advice is just give it up. Not try to find replacements.

For 2013 I plan on sticking to my wheat free diet that I have managed to stick to for many years except for this past year. JUDDD allowed me a little too much freedom but I am about over that I hope and can knuckle down to what is best for me. I took allergy shots for years for the wheat allergy so can tolerate some but I can tell when I have overdone it. BACK TO THE BASICS!!! I read Wheat Belly but thought it more of a scare monger type book.

While I was growing up, we rarely ate wheat at my house. My mother used rice. I can't remember her EVER cooking spaghetti or macaroni. She cooked cornbread. A sandwich was a very rare thing. We had a garden and raised our own beef, hogs and chickens although we weren't farmers. We had regular meals of veggies and meat. And cornbread. We only had wheat rolls twice a years at Thanksgiving and Chiristmas.
Maybe that is why I can easily go without it when I make up my mind. Sorry I am rambling but that is the way DH and I are eating now. And I think we are both healthier and just plain feel better. He still eats bread since he was raised on it and can't let it go though.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I stayed up and watched the Dr. William Davis youtube channel and it explains a lot to me in what I have experienced. He is a cardiologist who discovered several years ago that when he took his patients off wheat to help with blood sugar issues, they came back with much more benefits than just blood glucose improvement! Benefits in other areas included but not limited to weight loss, allergies, asthma, arthritis, bronchial issues, crohn's, IBS, and the list goes on.

I became wheatfree in 2009 when I went on the Hcg Protocol for 60 days. I believe that if anyone wants to discover where their health issues are, the elimination diet is the way to go. I noticed immediately that the bronchitis that I suffered with annually with asthma completely went away. I thought it was because I dropped weight and eliminated sugar, but I now believe after watching his video that it more than likely was the wheat!

I tried to add wheat and grains back in when I began JUDDD last February. I was so disappointed to learn that I felt the same symptoms that Kristin describes. My digestion was horrible and just felt like I had a bad hangover. I also noticed my hunger was over the top on the preceding DD. Making the DD very excruciating and almost unbearable. It really is the wheat that was my issue all along! I don't do well with sugar, but really limit it pretty much because of being wheatfree. It is interesting to me that almost anything that contains gluten also contains sugar. And I agree w/ Nancy, that most of the gluten free breads are loaded w/ sugar.

I would rather have no bread, than to eat something that is loaded with sugar.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Patty, I also found an excellent blog by someone who goes by the name "Gluten free Goddess". She has a wonderful "how to" guide on how she went gluten free and at the end of the guide, she explains how she makes her gluten free breads and deserts. Lots of recipes. Just in case you want to save money and not invest in a GF cookbook.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I became wheatfree in 2009 when I went on the Hcg Protocol for 60 days. I believe that if anyone wants to discover where their health issues are, the elimination diet is the way to go. I noticed immediately that the bronchitis that I suffered with annually with asthma completely went away. I thought it was because I dropped weight and eliminated sugar, but I now believe after watching his video that it more than likely was the wheat!
Is the elimination diet an actual diet where you test out certain foods and your reaction to them?

I was low-carbing for a long time before JUDDD, but I never took care to make sure I was wheat free. I was surprised to learn there's wheat in the most unexpected places (soy sauce?) so I know I haven't been completely wheat free. I know I'm reacting badly to certain food (skin problems, horrible cramps during TOM, irritable bowel and sometimes constipation) but I can't figure out if it's wheat, or fructose or dairy. I was thinking about getting rid of all three in 2013 and trying to figure it out.

Everyone I know who gives up wheat has had a positive reaction, there must be something to it!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Deedee,

The Elimination Diet is pretty stressful and tough, but it is worth it if you suffer with any of the following health/digestion issues. The Elimination Diet can help you pinpoint where you problem/allergy is? Many children are diagnosed with lactose or gluten intolerance with the Elimination Diet. If you google, you can find a wealth of info.
From the Whole Life Nutrition site...

Who should go on an Elimination Diet?

People who experience or have the following symptoms will greatly benefit from going on this diet:

-weight gain / weight loss
-chronic migraines / headaches
-GERD
-diarrhea / constipation
-gas / bloating / nausea
-hair loss
-autoimmune diseases
-rheumatoid arthritis
-irritable bowel syndrome / disease
-chronic pain
-osteoporosis
-anemia
-seizures
-chronic skin rashes

I can't link it here, but the blog that the I mentioned above "Gluten - Free Goddess" has a section on her blog entitled, "How To Go Gluten Free". It is basically the same thing as food elimination, but she started out simple then worked her way to zero gluten whatsoever.

Last edited by sunday; 12-29-2012 at 11:16 AM..
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Thank you Sunday! I'm still going to do the Perfect Health Diet, but I'd like to figure out if dairy is a culprit. I'll check that site out.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I am not wheat free. I tried the substitutes when I was LCing, but only because it was something I could eat that was not fat or meat, lol. I really don't eat much bread and when I do have some in the house, it usually ends up getting thrown out because of mold. I don't care for sandwiches, eat cookies sometimes, love cake but rarely buy/bake it...so, I don't think it's a problem for me. I do like having the option to eat "real" baked goods on UD's if I want them.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Is the elimination diet an actual diet where you test out certain foods and your reaction to them?

I was low-carbing for a long time before JUDDD, but I never took care to make sure I was wheat free. I was surprised to learn there's wheat in the most unexpected places (soy sauce?) so I know I haven't been completely wheat free. I know I'm reacting badly to certain food (skin problems, horrible cramps during TOM, irritable bowel and sometimes constipation) but I can't figure out if it's wheat, or fructose or dairy. I was thinking about getting rid of all three in 2013 and trying to figure it out.

Everyone I know who gives up wheat has had a positive reaction, there must be something to it!
Wow, super great input and ideas juddd buds, thank you so much! I do wish I was one of those people who wouldn't miss bread and baked goods, and didn't grow up with wheat at every damn meal....but. So it's a harder road. I have no doubt I'll find my way, somehow or other.

Here's a quick and way easier alternative to an elimination diet I came across in a book. First thing in the morning before eating, take your resting pulse. Then eat a small serving of the food you want to test. And that means JUST that food--no additives, no salt, no nothing. For wheat, I crunched down a Shredded Wheat biscuit, dry, cause that's the only wheat product I could find that was JUST wheat. Then wait 30 minutes and take your pulse again. If it's increased by more than 15 points, you most likely have a sensitivity to that food. I was skeptical, but tried it with a bunch of things--rice, corn, dairy--wheat was the one thing that shot my pulse right up. Our bodies seem to know, the hard part for me is learning to listen to it instead of dictate to it...
--patty
Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
That's so interesting Patty! I have always had my heart pound after eating carby/sugary foods. But what I don't know is whether it's the wheat, the sugar, or whatever other thing might be in there. I may have to try that on some different foods!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Adi,

Here is a link to a great carrot cake. I have made it several times.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cipe-pick.html

I bought a new bunt pan yesterday and think I will try it again. I have grated fresh carrots instead of the frozen.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

I guess gluten-free is sugar free as well? Not ready for it yet, but maybe one day.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Adi,

I bought a new bunt pan yesterday and think I will try it again. I have grated fresh carrots instead of the frozen.
Now that recipe with almond flour, I will have to try. I LOVE carrot cake and I just ahppen to have lal of those ingredinets and it is upday. I will be baking.

Thanks Seabreezes. I will be grating fresh carrots so I hope I don't slip like I did grating potatoes. I am just healed.

Our custodian makes the BEST carrot cake and she has me spoiled and she even saks what day I can eat it before she brings it. Evil enabler but I must humour her since she is 85.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Haha, evil enabler! Yes, you most definitely should indulge her.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Adi,

Cake is made and cooling although I have already had a slice. Did not have enough almond flour so had to stretch with some flaxseed meal but it worked. I am very happy to say that I have had my first decent wheat free cake and carrot cake at that. Course we won't talk about how many calories.

Thank you for the recipe. Got the frosting made and almost ready to put it on the cake. Can't believe I had "almost" everything I needed for that recipe.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Yes, low carb is NOT low cal! Glad it came out for you. That is one of very few low carb deserts I have made that I repeat. Hubby really likes it.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote