Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grammyw/kitties
Stats: I am 170.2
WOE: I am starting IF leaning towards locarb
Start Date: Starting Dec 20,2012
Quinia is a grain , when cooked it is kinda round like tapioca. I like it by itself or cooked in soup or about anything. They also make a pasta out of it very good and wheat free. I also am a wheat eater though I don't eat alot..I personally like ezechial bread if I want a sandwich, oh and quinia is very good for you.
grammyw/kitties is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gulf Coast Girl
Stats: Goal Feb '10. Lost 163 lbs.
Those of you not concerned with carbs - Pamala's Gluten Free (that's the brand) baking and pancake mix is pretty good. One of my Mom's Dr's thought she might be celiac and while she was going through the Dr/testing process she tried cutting out gluten. I made her the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the package quite a few times. Other family members ate them straight out of the oven and never once questioned the taste or asked if it was one of my crazy LC recipes. I never used it with my own recipes just used the recipes on the package or the website but everything I tried was eaten. She has a Bread mix, Chocolate Cake Mix, Brownie Mix, Yellow Cake Mix and then some kind of crackers and cookies. The thing with the bread (really any Gluten Free bread) is that it doesn't last on the counter. It needs to be refrigerated or frozen. I made her a loaf of the bread and it was fine hot with some butter and melted cheese but I don't like cold bread or hot sandwiches. I did take some of the left over bread, cubed it up, seasoned it and made croutons with it. They were pretty good.

I have a question for those of you who have read Wheat Belly. Would you recommend it to someone interested in just trying to cut out wheat? She doesn't want to go Atkins or even SB LC. Wants to keep starchy vegetables and just focus on removing wheat and then processed sugar. What I'm really wanting to know is would you recommend the book for someone who thinks Entertainment Tonight is news? (Is it an easy read?) I mean no offense to Entertainment Tonight or anyone who watches it. I just know there's no way she's going to sit down and read Good Calories Bad Calories or anything like it.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyw/kitties View Post
Quinia is a grain , when cooked it is kinda round like tapioca. I like it by itself or cooked in soup or about anything. They also make a pasta out of it very good and wheat free. I also am a wheat eater though I don't eat alot..I personally like ezechial bread if I want a sandwich, oh and quinia is very good for you.
I haven't read everything here yet, but wanted to say that quinoa is actually a seed, not a grain. It's wonderful! Nutty and yummy, but it sprouts and when it's cooked, it sort of looks like there are little tiny worms in it. I have no problem with that, but Keira doesn't like it because of that. It also has a fair amount of protein in it. I use it as a substitute for rice.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
Those of you not concerned with carbs - Pamala's Gluten Free (that's the brand) baking and pancake mix is pretty good. One of my Mom's Dr's thought she might be celiac and while she was going through the Dr/testing process she tried cutting out gluten. I made her the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the package quite a few times. Other family members ate them straight out of the oven and never once questioned the taste or asked if it was one of my crazy LC recipes. I never used it with my own recipes just used the recipes on the package or the website but everything I tried was eaten. She has a Bread mix, Chocolate Cake Mix, Brownie Mix, Yellow Cake Mix and then some kind of crackers and cookies. The thing with the bread (really any Gluten Free bread) is that it doesn't last on the counter. It needs to be refrigerated or frozen. I made her a loaf of the bread and it was fine hot with some butter and melted cheese but I don't like cold bread or hot sandwiches. I did take some of the left over bread, cubed it up, seasoned it and made croutons with it. They were pretty good.

I have a question for those of you who have read Wheat Belly. Would you recommend it to someone interested in just trying to cut out wheat? She doesn't want to go Atkins or even SB LC. Wants to keep starchy vegetables and just focus on removing wheat and then processed sugar. What I'm really wanting to know is would you recommend the book for someone who thinks Entertainment Tonight is news? (Is it an easy read?) I mean no offense to Entertainment Tonight or anyone who watches it. I just know there's no way she's going to sit down and read Good Calories Bad Calories or anything like it.
I found Wheat Belly to be a very easy read.

It sounds like your friend might do very well following a primal approach--that allows starchy vegetables (such as yams, beets, carrots) and doesn't allow wheat or sugar. I started doing primal before I read the primal/paleo literature; it's not very hard to pick up the basics of that by reading a bit on the Internet or reading Mark Sisson's book or cookbooks. And Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" is a much easier read than "Good Calories, Bad Calories." Another possibility would be following the "No S" diet which can be downloaded from the Duke University website (easy to find using Google).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Mostly wheat free here. If I eat it, my hands ache the next day, so it better be worth it. I'd be better off eliminating it completely, but I have a 14 yo dd that loves to bake, and sometimes just can't resist. I am also allergic to dairy and eggs, though, so a lot of what she makes I can't eat because of that.

My favorite blogs are Chocolate Covered Katie (already mentioned), the Spunky Coconut, and the Daily Dietribe. Lot of yummy dessert recipes. I usually use a combo of coconut sugar and liquid stevia to reduce the sugar content, if the recipe doesn't already call for low sugar.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post

It sounds like your friend might do very well following a primal approach--that allows starchy vegetables (such as yams, beets, carrots) and doesn't allow wheat or sugar. I started doing primal before I read the primal/paleo literature; it's not very hard to pick up the basics of that by reading a bit on the Internet or reading Mark Sisson's book or cookbooks. And Gary Taubes "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" is a much easier read than "Good Calories, Bad Calories." Another possibility would be following the "No S" diet which can be downloaded from the Duke University website (easy to find using Google).
I read the Gary Taubes book and jumped on the LC wagon immediately. Although I see a lot of good things about LC, I don't necessarily think it's any better for weight loss than counting calories, i.e. JUDDD. For instance, WW is something that you have to count points, and basically it's about tricking the mind...same thing with JUDDD, to a point. There are also a lot of benefits to IFing, whether it's LC or not, but the DD and UD are a "mind trick" of sorts that helps you to lose weight successfully, IMO. Whatever works.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-30-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Adi-

I have a small "salad shooter" that I use to slice or grate. I love it have had it for nearly 20 years. I think they still sell them.
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by halos View Post
Adi-

I have a small "salad shooter" that I use to slice or grate. I love it have had it for nearly 20 years. I think they still sell them.
I need one of those. I now wear a silicon mitt that is for handling hot stuff since I made such as mess of my thumb about a month ago. Thanks for the suggestion.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I read the Gary Taubes book and jumped on the LC wagon immediately. Although I see a lot of good things about LC, I don't necessarily think it's any better for weight loss than counting calories, i.e. JUDDD.
I completely agree with you, Librarygirl. There isn't one be all end all plan for all of us. The only plan that works is the one you'll actually do.

Thank you both for your book suggestions. She's an 'inlaw'. I like her and even enjoy spending time with her but she's definitely a 'main stream media' type. Believes everything they tell her on Good Morning America/Dr. Oz and Entertainment Tonight. (I think she saw some show Dr. Oz did recently and that's what started her on the no wheat path.)

She gained weight after being on extended bed rest with twins. She's finished breast feeding and is struggling to lose the baby weight (she didn't have a weight problem at all pre babies). So she pulls me aside at Christmas and wanted me to tell her every single thing I did to lose weight - which she knew was done with a LC approach. So I go through the basics of what I did and even told her that I didn't do it specifically with Atkins but that his was the only book I read. So she asked for it and then brought it back to me yesterday and said she could never do Atkins because she's just heard too much bad stuff about it. Even though I'd made it very clear she didn't have to 'do' Atkins - it was just a good/easy read for understanding the basics.

I think the paleo (or primal because she'll want to keep dairy) idea is a good one. I bet she'd also do better with a website than an actual book so I'm going to send her links to Wheat Belly/Why We Get Fat and a link to MDA and tell her to also look though some of the resources he links to.

I told her about LCF but she was adamant she didn't want to 'do' LC. I tried to explain that what she's wanting to do - no wheat and eventually limiting sugar - IS going to be a form of LC but she's just so hung up on the terminology I have to let her figure that out on her own (or until Dr Oz tells her it's OK to LC)

Last edited by Gulf Coast Girl; 12-30-2012 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Jennifer- do you think she might like JUDDD? It is very easy to understand and it fits into a new Mom's lifestyle easily. With twins she must be busy!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Jennifer- do you think she might like JUDDD? It is very easy to understand and it fits into a new Mom's lifestyle easily. With twins she must be busy!
Yes, JUDDD is going to work with any plan. So, it is something she could do without having to work so hard at learning specific nutritional info.

Gulfcoast girl, I just watched Dr. Davis channel on youtube, specifically, the two that are entitled, "Wheat the Unhealthy Grain, Pt 1 & 2". It is very easy to understand on what is happening with wheat and it's consequence on our metabolism. One thing that really got my attention is the fact that a snicker's bar has GI of 41, but whole wheat bread has GI of 72. Also, he does an excellent job communicating on this video about the fat in and around our internal organs, most specifically the intestines and abdominal area and what the inflammation from this belly fat does to our health on daily basis. Very eye opening, and probably enough to scare anyone who is reaching middle age with that spread.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 12-31-2012 at 10:18 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #42
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Girl View Post
I completely agree with you, Librarygirl. There isn't one be all end all plan for all of us. The only plan that works is the one you'll actually do.
I totally agree. This is one of the things I like about LCF - there are boards for every way of eating and people will often close a post with YMMV to indicate that they realize that what worked for them won't work for everyone.
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
I'm finding it way harder to give up wheat than to give up sugar, or fat, or any other single thing I've tried to quit. Wheat is my Brokeback mountain, I just can't quit it, sigh...I will prevail, though, not giving up. I bought a ridiculously expensive loaf of GF bread at New Seasons over the weekend and bleccchhhh, barely edible. It really seems to be bread that's the sticking point, if I can find or make a reasonable facsimile I think I can roll without the rest. Has anybody come up with or found a good recipe?
happy new year juddd buds!
--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
I'm finding it way harder to give up wheat than to give up sugar, or fat, or any other single thing I've tried to quit. Wheat is my Brokeback mountain, I just can't quit it, sigh...I will prevail, though, not giving up. I bought a ridiculously expensive loaf of GF bread at New Seasons over the weekend and bleccchhhh, barely edible. It really seems to be bread that's the sticking point, if I can find or make a reasonable facsimile I think I can roll without the rest. Has anybody come up with or found a good recipe?
--patty
My daughter love Pamela's GF mixes. She also loves Annie's and makes everything for my grands w/ these. One grand is deathly allergic to peanuts so she has to be very particular.

Have you tried any of Udi's GF bread? Another that they use.

Last edited by sunday; 12-31-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just called and she also recommends Ener-G Light GF Tapioca Bread.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
I've been wheat free since ~Feb, 2012 -- after reading Wheat Belly. Doing great, it hasn't caused any weight loss as I'd already lost about 40 lbs doing low carb but it did make me feel better, plus a rash on my neck disappeared!

Yesterday, because I wasn't feeling well, I had a hard crusty roll, sliced and toasted with my tea and within an hour, had the worse headache. Once I got it out of my system, the headache went away. Don't think I do wheat again -- a very strong reminder for me.
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
--patty
Patty, wheat was SO much easier to give up for me than sugar. Which makes me wonder if you have any sugar tips, wise one. ?? (Such a love-loathing relationship there for me.)
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Patty, wheat was SO much easier to give up for me than sugar. Which makes me wonder if you have any sugar tips, wise one. ?? (Such a love-loathing relationship there for me.)
I think whatever we find it the hardest to quit is the thing that hits our neurochemical reward receptors the most. So sugar wasn't the biggest hitter for me, wheat is; which means we're in exactly the same boat, my dear! I wish I had the answer to interrupting that incredibly powerful reward cycle in the brain, I'd be the richest woman on earth...

I think we all need something that reliably makes us get a hit of those endorphins, the trick is finding something that doesn't do more harm than good. For me what works is finding less harmful alternatives, that's what got me off sugar. I can do stevia/erythritol and still feel rewarded. Have you tried using either of those subs? It does necessitate some home baking, since there's a dearth of ready-made treats, but that's slowly changing, I've seen some stevia-sweetened chocolate and soda in the store. I have a sugar-free, wheat free chocolate lava cake recipe I came up with that will slay any craving dragon, let me know if you'd like it...
--patty
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Patty, excellent explanation. Thanks.
I've been off the sweeteners because of some disgusting headaches with them. It's possible your two favourites weren't offenders. I'll try them again in a while.
Lava sounds good.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Patty, excellent explanation. Thanks.
I've been off the sweeteners because of some disgusting headaches with them. It's possible your two favourites weren't offenders. I'll try them again in a while.
Lava sounds good.
Yeah, some of those suckers are nasty. Have you tried coconut palm sugar? I got some at whole foods, it has a more favorable glycemic index and nutrient profile, I've had good results using it in cooking. Maybe cut amounts half and half with that and stevia or erythritol? For me the trick is not to be too all-or-nothing about the changes I'm trying to make...simply improvement is much more achievable and sustainable over the long term, IMHO...
--patty
Old 12-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anasmom
Stats: 239/211/150
Start Date: 9/10/12
Patty, I would love your chocolate lava recipe. I am reading Wheat Belly right now and have been wheat free for 3 days! No sinus headache today, could it work that fast? I want to combine Juddd and Wheat-Free ultimately, today I went over on calories trying out a few new foods, so DD will be MD, especially if I stay awake til midnight for a little bubbly. Back to reading the book, I'll keep you all posted. HAPPY NEW YEAR JUDDS BUDDS !, Ellen
Anasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasmom View Post
Patty, I would love your chocolate lava recipe. I am reading Wheat Belly right now and have been wheat free for 3 days! No sinus headache today, could it work that fast? I want to combine Juddd and Wheat-Free ultimately, today I went over on calories trying out a few new foods, so DD will be MD, especially if I stay awake til midnight for a little bubbly. Back to reading the book, I'll keep you all posted. HAPPY NEW YEAR JUDDS BUDDS !, Ellen
Hi Ellen--I think going off a food you're sensitive to absolutely could work that fast! Good feedback from the body. Here's the sugar free, gluten free lava cake recipe:
Chocolate Lava Cakes
Ingredients (4 people):

6 oz. unsweetened Baking Chocolate (my favorite is ghirardelli)
2 tbsp Hershey's Special Dark Unsweetened Cocoa
6 oz. Butter (diced, room temperature)
3 Eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 to 1 cup granulated erythritol plus 1 tsp stevia (sweetness to yr taste)
1/3 cup gluten -free flour (your choice)
Butter for ramekins
How to Make It:

Preheat oven to 350°F
1. Melt chocolate on low flame in a double boiler. Or melt chocolate and butter together in a saucepan over low heat.…
2. Stir in diced butter, until it melts.
3. In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar and vanilla, --use mixer, about 4-5 minutes, until thick and lemon colored.
4. Stir in melted chocolate, cocoa and then the gf flour.
5. Butter 4 individual ramekins, and pour in chocolate batter.
6. Cook for about 10 minutes until just set, toothpick will be coated with chocolate.
7. Tip ramekins upside down onto dessert plates and serve.

Tips:

Can cover and refrigerate overnight, take out into room temperature for 1 hour before baking next day.
You can definitely prepare your chocolate lave cake recipe ahead of time, and then bake 10 minutes before serving.
In terms of baking time… well, it depends on how runny you want it. For oozy center, you want the top to be cooked through, but the center to be liquid. You can check with a toothpick after 10 minutes of baking.
If you don't like liquid-center chocolate desserts, just cook for a little longer, and you will have an incredibly moist chocolate cake.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh wowzer, Patty, do you have the cal count for this??? I am going to make it for my next UD! It looks amazing!

I use the erithytol/stevia mix in all of my baking and my DH who is a sugar addict never has noticed.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Oh wowzer, Patty, do you have the cal count for this??? I am going to make it for my next UD! It looks amazing!

I use the erithytol/stevia mix in all of my baking and my DH who is a sugar addict never has noticed.
I usually make it without any kind of flour, even gluten free, and that version has 290 cals, 27f, 3.6c and 4.8 pro. It's so rich I often cut it in half, top with strawberries and whipped cream... enjoy!
--patty
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I usually make it without any kind of flour, even gluten free, and that version has 290 cals, 27f, 3.6c and 4.8 pro. It's so rich I often cut it in half, top with strawberries and whipped cream... enjoy!
--patty
I have coconut & tapioca flour, so I may try a combo and will report if they work. Have you ever made the coconut cream whipped cream from the can? I saw it on the Chocolate Covered Katie site and decided that may be just the perfect topping on this chocolaty treat. Which btw, she has some amazing single serving deserts that are healthy on her recipe page.

Last edited by sunday; 01-01-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I have coconut & tapioca flour, so I may try a combo and will report if they work. Have you ever made the coconut cream whipped cream from the can? I saw it on the Chocolate Covered Katie site and decided that may be just the perfect topping on this chocolaty treat. Which btw, she has some amazing single serving deserts that are healthy on her recipe page.
I'd steer away from coconut flour, it's so incredibly drying. I really like it best flourless, more chocolatey goodness! I have to go look at that Chocolate Covered Katie site, thanks for the tip...
--patty
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Thanks so much for the ideas everybody.

Given all her mainstream thoughts I don't think she would JUDDD. (She would freak at the idea of anything less than 1200 calories). If I thought she would be open to it I would absolutely share but nobody in my real life knows I JUDDD. Even though (with the exception of one lowering experiment) I keep my DD cals right at 1000 - I just know from experience I would constantly have to hear about it being too low. (I want to add this in case any New Year members are reading - a lot of people continue to stay really low on DD's but I take a lot of medication. 1000 isn't some random number I picked - it's my maintenance number straight from the JUDDD calculator. I think the actual number was something like 1020 but I wanted an even 00 number.)

Sunday, thanks for bringing up the YouTube videos. I'm watching some of them myself right now.

Devine, that cake sounds really good.

Last edited by Gulf Coast Girl; 01-01-2013 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Gulf Coast Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskachick View Post
The damage is what is commonly called "leaky gut" - or intestinal permeability. Knowing all this has really helped me say "no" to anything with flour - I don't want to set back my healing one iota!

My favorite bread of late is made with whey powder and eggs - amazingly not bad!

I know for myself once when I accidentally ate something with flour, I felt quite ill as well. That really surprised me.

Best wishes in your quest! =)
Erica (saving that Lava Cake recipe!!!)
Erica,
Could you share the recipe for whey powder bread?

Hmmm, I went to the Wheat Belly Blog to try and find out what the symptoms for "leaky gut" were and I was surprised to find out that Dr. Davis does NOT recommend to eat GF processed foods/breads. He says that most gluten free flours such as potato starch & tapioca flour used in making GF breads are much higher in GI than wheat products. So, there's a conundrum. Wheat is bad, but GF bread could be much worse if you have blood sugar issues.

From WB site...

Quote:
What can you eat on the diet you advocate?

Eat real, natural foods such as eggs, raw nuts, plenty of vegetables, and fish, fowl, and meats. Use healthy oils like olive, walnut, and coconut liberally. Eat occasional fruit and plenty of avocado, olives, and use herbs and spices freely. Eat raw or least cooked whenever possible and certainly do not frequent fast food, processed snacks, or junk foods. While it may sound restrictive, a return to non-grain foods is incredibly rich and varied. Many people’s eyes have been closed to the great variety of foods available to us minus the wheat.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:
I just read the book "Wheat Belly" and it scared the crap out of me. And I cannot deny, my joint pain goes waaaaay up when I hit the wheat products. Has anybody given up the devil wheat gluten? If so, what kind of differences, if any, has it made to your process and your body?

Also, I'd love a tried and true gluten free bread recipe that doesn't taste like a science experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong if anybody has one...

thanks!
--patty
I don't have a bread recipe, but I have used Udi's Gluten Free Bread, the Millet Chia variety, and have found that toasted I actually like it. The plain Udi's GF bread is acceptable, and they make decent Multi-Grain Dinner Rolls. These can be found in the freezer of the health food section of your supermarket or health food store.

Three Bakers makes a good GF rye-style bread.

I have found that the lectins in wheat cause hip pain for me; I am also finding that when I add bread/pasta, even gluten-free, on Up days it makes me want to eat more. I'm actually starting another thread of my experiment to eat no sugar/no grains on my Up days without counting calories and see if I can lose weight that way.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Great read here on this thread, i must get the book and try agin.. I add wheat back in to my eating and OMG my body started to ache i never gave it another thought! I must make an effort now to elimate it and see if my body aches go away,, if they do,, that its soo worth the effort to not be eating those things.. but man my taste buds were sure happy for the last few weeks!! I have added back crackers with spinach and artichoke dip and ii could soooo live on that stuff,.. just dont appeal to me to eat it off a spoon though.. Marking my place to re read later.. love ya all~
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote