Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Horrible gas pains

They started last night with some cramping. This is not usual for me. I've had this feeling only once before and it was this past March. I attributed it to having taken a week's worth of strong antibiotics, but this time I haven't taken anything unusual. I did eat ground beef last night, but my bf has not experienced any symptoms. I went to sleep hoping it would pass, but am awake at 5 am and it's still there...cramping worse than TOM. Can anyone help?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/127/115-120
Try some mint or ginger tea.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sympathies! Been there, hated it!

Ginger tea. Or OTC gas relief pills.

I am getting reports from various family members around the country of a 24 hour type bug that sounds pretty miserable. Fingers crossed this is just your body trying to deal with the recent influx of unusual foods - did you eat more or less fiber/veggies than normal over the last few days?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/219/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
I get this if I take Ibuprofen. Any thing with simeticone in it will do the trick, various OTC versions in UK, works for me in less than1/2 hour
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I have usually taken the OTC gas pills and they've worked for me...one thing that I have also done in the last couple of months that helped me with that kind of thing was to take probiotics...since I have taken a lot of anti biotics over the years, it seemed a wise choice and has turned out to be a big help with my tummy and gas problems...I get the ones at vitamin shoppe because they are not so expensive,...hope you're feeling better soon.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I don't have anything to add to what the others have suggested, but I sympathise and hope you get it resolved right away!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Ooh there's nothing worse than this! I'll get this if I eat too much malitol.

Everyone gave great advice, and I'd add some Gas-X to the mix if you have any. It works really quickly.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I take apple cider vinegar for any tummy issues. Just 1 TLB in a cup of water will do. I take 2 TBL in a cup of water nightly. I hope you have some!
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Ugh, any better this morning? I was like this during the day yesterday! I think it was the sugar free peppermint creamer I've been using in my coffee this Christmas. (needless to say, I'm drinking coffee w/ skim milk this morning!) Hugs LG!!!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't know what it is, but it was like this the last time and when the cramps come it causes me to double over and shooting pains go through my stomach to my colon. I went back to sleep after I wrote the initial post and slept late. I'm going to see what I can take to help it. Thank you so much.

Last time I nearly went to the emergency room...I hope it doesn't continue to get any worse. I am definitely going to start taking probiotics!

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-28-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Sympathies! Been there, hated it!

Ginger tea. Or OTC gas relief pills.

I am getting reports from various family members around the country of a 24 hour type bug that sounds pretty miserable. Fingers crossed this is just your body trying to deal with the recent influx of unusual foods - did you eat more or less fiber/veggies than normal over the last few days?
Last night I had spaghetti sauce with diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms and onions. I also ate 2 prunes yesterday, lol. Now that I think about it, that is a lot more fiber than I usually eat in one day.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I don't know what it is, but it was like this the last time and when the cramps come it causes me to double over and shooting pains go through my stomach to my colon. I went back to sleep after I wrote the initial post and slept late. I'm going to see what I can take to help it. Thank you so much.

Last time I nearly went to the emergency room...I hope it doesn't continue to get any worse. I am definitely going to start taking probiotics!
I've been dealing with this for the past couple days-my five day free for all eating bonanza over the holiday really did a number on my stomach I had run out of my probiotic supplement so I got more yesterday-feeling much better this morning! That's one supplement I can't live without!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Last night I had spaghetti sauce with diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, mushrooms and onions. I also ate 2 prunes yesterday, lol. Now that I think about it, that is a lot more fiber than I usually eat in one day.
Tomatoes are acidic- they use to give me terrible heartburn- hope you are feeling better.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I take apple cider vinegar for any tummy issues. Just 1 TLB in a cup of water will do. I take 2 TBL in a cup of water nightly. I hope you have some!
I do have some cider vinegar. I'm going to try this because I don't have any OTC gas meds. I tried a Prilosec last night thinking it might be acid related, but it's apparently not.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

You've had to go to the ER for this before? LG that's terrible! I hope you're better today. Sometimes having a cleansing day of just liquids can help.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

No, I didn't go to the ER, but the pain was bad enough that I thought I might need to go. In fact, that time it lasted for a week or more, off and on. I was eating Greek yogurt, per doctor's advice, to help with it, but it took a lot of time. Why didn't I take Gas-X? Lol, never thought it could be that simple. I may have to drive to the store and get some, much as I hate getting dressed and going anywhere, lol. Bf is asleep and oblivious to anything right now.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Established

Quote:
No, I didn't go to the ER, but the pain was bad enough that I thought I might need to go. In fact, that time it lasted for a week or more, off and on. I was eating Greek yogurt, per doctor's advice, to help with it, but it took a lot of time. Why didn't I take Gas-X? Lol, never thought it could be that simple. I may have to drive to the store and get some, much as I hate getting dressed and going anywhere, lol. Bf is asleep and oblivious to anything right now.
Could it be your gall bladder acting up? I ended up in the ER last month because I thought my appendix was acting up, and found out my gall bladder was on the fritz I was having sharp pains that lasted for like 10 hours, but the ultrasound I had done showed everything was normal-doctor thinks the pork steak I had eaten earlier in the day triggered it I guess you can have gall bladder stones, like kidney stones, which is why they did the ultrasound. Mine is fine now, but I guess it's pretty common to have it removed because it likes to be a pain in the butt
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Did you have yours removed? My co-worker recently had that surgery too. I hope it isn't that, because it does require some major diet changes afterward for some people, I understand. Who knows? It frightened me this morning when I woke up and the pain was still there and I thought it was going to intensify to what it was the last time. So far, it has not. Thank God!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
Established

Quote:
Did you have yours removed? My co-worker recently had that surgery too. I hope it isn't that, because it does require some major diet changes afterward for some people, I understand. Who knows? It frightened me this morning when I woke up and the pain was still there and I thought it was going to intensify to what it was the last time. So far, it has not. Thank God!
I haven't had to, but if it flares up again I'm supposed to look into it. You may be able to feel if it's sensitive-it's right next to your belly button, on the right side.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Yes, what Sara said, especially if it came on after eating anything acidic and/or fatty! I had never had GB pain before and had a horrendous attack after eating pizza one night. It went on and on and on. Horrible, I was doubled over and in misery. Went to the after hours clinic and the doc gave me pain meds until I could have an u/s. I did end up having mine out...obviously it hasn't affected my eating habits as I managed to gain & lose repeatedly since then. (it was 10+ years ago now)

You've seen a doc already about it, though, right?

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #21

Gallery: DarkSiren
WOE: What Ever it Takes!!!!
Start Date: Every Day is a New Start
Laying down on your left side helps the gas move through the system if you have the time/ability to do this.

Also, laying on your back and slowly pulling one knee then the other up to your chest.

Phazyne(sp?) is the only gas med that's ever worked for me if you try the other stuff and it doesn't help.

Hope you get some relief soon!!

Also if this becomes a regular thing that is a result of gallbladder issues I would definitely do some research on it in combo with Paleo/Primal to help avoid(hopefully) the removal of the gallbladder.

Would have been nice to keep mine.
DarkSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Why is all the troublesome stuff on the right side? Isn't the appendix on the right side too? I'm really a little nervous about gall bladder issues. I've had some sharp pains in my right side, kind of under my ribcage, a couple of different times. I've attributed it to being constipated, but knowing how common gall stones are in people who are losing weight, it has me a bit skittish.

I had a kidney stone almost 10 years ago, and I've NEVER had such pain as that - never want to go there again! I worried then that it was low carb that caused it, but the doctor said no, it's probably our hard water here. He said "you know all that mineral deposit on your faucets? If you drink tap water (I did and do) it's building up in your body like that too. YUCK!

I'm glad to hear you're not getting any worse, and hopefully it'll just pass and you can get on with your life!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Remember I also had that nausea a week or so ago. I wonder if the two are related. I was lying in bed this morning thinking, could it be JUDDD? Lol, I certainly hope not! I never had any problem when I was eating all the fat/cream etc. while doing Atkins. It might be due to overeating on UD's, plus all the food this week (xmas)...not eating hardly anything one day, then overeating the next day can't be good.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
My mom had her gallbladder removed when whe was in her mid-80s, and they sent her home quickly with just a bandaid and some Tylenol, which she didn't bother to take. How the surgery is done these days really minimizes the recovery time, so don't be too scared if you have to have it done. Taking supplements like ox bile helps people digest fat even if they have their gallbladder removed. I hope it's more easily resolved than that, but don't be too worried if you do have to have the gallbladder operation. Hope you feel better soon.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Why is all the troublesome stuff on the right side? Isn't the appendix on the right side too? I'm really a little nervous about gall bladder issues. I've had some sharp pains in my right side, kind of under my ribcage, a couple of different times. I've attributed it to being constipated, but knowing how common gall stones are in people who are losing weight, it has me a bit skittish.
Hmmm this happens to me too, right around the ribcage. Sometimes it's bad enough that I have to take my bra off, because it just feels so tight and awful. I attributed it to bloating and constipation, especially on days I'm eating the wrong things.

I didn't know gall stones were common among people losing weight! How cary.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
It might be due to overeating on UD's, plus all the food this week (xmas)...not eating hardly anything one day, then overeating the next day can't be good.
Adjusting to the rotation does not usually cause such extreme distress. But, if you are sensitive to some food (like bread?) that you did not eat on LC, then that could cause it (although, as all this great advice shows, a heck of a lot of unrelated things can cause similar misery).

If you are still in agony, please consider seeing a doctor!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #27

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I have a "sluggish" gall bladder, and had surgery recommended, but I politely declined. I sure don't want anyone cutting into me unless it's absolutely necessary. That being said, mine never acted up as badly as yours is (if it's GB related). My doctor has also told me a few times to keep an eye out for GB complications because I've lost so much weight so quickly (doesn't seem fast enough for me!), so it is very common to have GB problems while losing weight. Might be worth having it examined.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

I went to the bathroom and all seems better now. I hope it stays that way...like I said, the gastric distress I had over 6 months ago was so awful that I felt like I was about to birth an alien. I was so scared this might turn into that again, but it's subsiding now. Sorry I worried everyone (and myself!).
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedee View Post
Hmmm this happens to me too, right around the ribcage. Sometimes it's bad enough that I have to take my bra off, because it just feels so tight and awful. I attributed it to bloating and constipation, especially on days I'm eating the wrong things.

I didn't know gall stones were common among people losing weight! How cary.
Yes! I developed gallstones doing an ultra low fat/low cal plan years ago.. I ended up in the ER one night because the pain was SO bad I thought I was gonna die. They pumped me full of morphine all night and sent me home the next morning... ultrasound showed I had stones and one was sitting at the opening of the bile duct.. it moved and I was fine after that. I still have my gallbladder and have stayed away from low-fat-anything anymore..and that's when i found low carb eating. Every now and then I get twinges of pain if I eat too much cheese, eggs, or even ranch dressing...

Cindy~it very well could be your gallbladder. For a long time prior to any real pain I got alot of gas pains and nausea. Be careful and do not be afraid to get yourself to the doc if you need it! Feel better!!!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
I went to the bathroom and all seems better now. I hope it stays that way...like I said, the gastric distress I had over 6 months ago was so awful that I felt like I was about to birth an alien. I was so scared this might turn into that again, but it's subsiding now. Sorry I worried everyone (and myself!).
Whew, glad to hear that LG! When pain is that bad, it's not dumb to worry a little.