Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Glad to see you are feeling better!

I saw the title of the thread and rushed in to recommend ginger...but I see that many people beat me to it!!! I keep candied ginger and crystallized ginger tea on hand for tummy aches for DS and me.

The first couple times I had gas pain, I had no idea what it was, because it was up under my ribs...nowhere near my intestines, where I'd assume one would feel it. But my roomate-at-the-time said it was gas, gave me a Gas-X, and I felt better really quickly!

Daily probiotics can be very helpful.

Digestive enzymes can be helpful, too, especially if you're changing your macro ratios (eating less fat & more carbs, for example). They're supposed to be taken with meals, but I've taken them *after* meals when I feel too full or full for too long, and they still help.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
If the pain originates in the right upper quadrant (under the right-sided rib cage) and is recurrent, PLEASE have this checked out. If it does turn out to be the gallbladder -- either stones (cholelithiasis) or inflammation/infection (cholecystitis) -- treatment truly is advisable, even if that treatment is surgery. [Appendicitis is usually felt in the right lower quadrant, above the right pelvis]

Chronic inflammation and/or stones can cause pancreatitis, which (according to records I've worked on) is nothing short of miserable.

Now that I've freaked everyone out , LG have you tried using a heating pad or taking a very warm bath to help with the cramping?
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
The pain is definitely not under my rib cage, and is in my lower abdomen (gut). It has subsided a lot now, and I appreciate everyone's advice so much! Sorry to be such an alarmist, but maybe some of this talk about GB issues is helpful to others.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne_W View Post
If the pain originates in the right upper quadrant (under the right-sided rib cage) and is recurrent, PLEASE have this checked out. If it does turn out to be the gallbladder -- either stones (cholelithiasis) or inflammation/infection (cholecystitis) -- treatment truly is advisable, even if that treatment is surgery. [Appendicitis is usually felt in the right lower quadrant, above the right pelvis]

Chronic inflammation and/or stones can cause pancreatitis, which (according to records I've worked on) is nothing short of miserable.

Now that I've freaked everyone out , LG have you tried using a heating pad or taking a very warm bath to help with the cramping?
Like I said, I had one horrible, BIG attack that wouldn't stop. It was my first one and excruciating. It was over Thanksgiving holiday weekend and they couldn't get me in for u/s until afterwards. By the time I had surgery (a week later), my GB was full of gangrene. I had zero stones, just sludge. Disgusting and very scary. It's always best to err on getting checked out if you find yourself not feeling well again, ok, LG? I'm gonna worry about you! I am glad you're feeling better, though, and hope it's indeed just gas and potty issues! to you!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
The pain is definitely not under my rib cage, and is in my lower abdomen (gut). It has subsided a lot now, and I appreciate everyone's advice so much! Sorry to be such an alarmist, but maybe some of this talk about GB issues is helpful to others.
Sorry to be intrusive (just tell me to butt out lol), but the coder/medical detective in me is beyond curious, LG...have you ever had any abdominal surgeries/C-sections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Like I said, I had one horrible, BIG attack that wouldn't stop. It was my first one and excruciating. It was over Thanksgiving holiday weekend and they couldn't get me in for u/s until afterwards. By the time I had surgery (a week later), my GB was full of gangrene. I had zero stones, just sludge. Disgusting and very scary. It's always best to err on getting checked out if you find yourself not feeling well again, ok, LG? I'm gonna worry about you! I am glad you're feeling better, though, and hope it's indeed just gas and potty issues! to you!
I had my appendix burst on me in April '95 (was gangrenous and caused peritonitis -- infection of the abdominal cavity -- I didn't seek medical help for almost a week, surgeon said I was lucky I didn't die), then had gallstones/infection 3 months later. Good times! Wish I hadn't lost the stones, I had wanted to get them made into earrings as a gag.

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
--Lily Tomlin

The Quest: Toward Spark-Free Thighs!!

The Blog
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sorry to be intrusive (just tell me to butt out lol), but the coder/medical detective in me is beyond curious, LG...have you ever had any abdominal surgeries/C-sections?

I had my appendix burst on me in April '95 (was gangrenous and caused peritonitis -- infection of the abdominal cavity -- I didn't seek medical help for almost a week, surgeon said I was lucky I didn't die), then had gallstones/infection 3 months later. Good times! Wish I hadn't lost the stones, I had wanted to get them made into earrings as a gag.
Ack, I hear you! My dad had his appendix burst at 19yo. I guess I get my weird GI issues from him! Noooo fun for sure! (and omw, stones made in to earrings, you are a riot!!!)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
Ack, I hear you! My dad had his appendix burst at 19yo. I guess I get my weird GI issues from him! Noooo fun for sure! (and omw, stones made in to earrings, you are a riot!!!)
After walking around while bent at a 90-degree angle at the waist for 5 days, my ex finally told me to suck it up and go to the ER. Very grateful he did. They did an ultrasound but almost sent me home when they didn't see my appendix (well duh, it had blown up!).

If you've ever seen the movie Galaxy Quest, my stones looked like a miniature version of the beryllium spheres.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
ugh gas pains ...happens to me all the time (especially when I introduce foods like milk which I am intolerant to)

Im happy to hear that the pains have subsided!

I second peppermint/ginger tea.
As well ..gas-x or generic simethicone tablets do wonders!!!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
Big Yapper!!!!

Rayne, I've never had abdominal surgery, nor c-section. I am child-free, um childless.

Yes, if it continues or worsens, or comes back, definitely going to see a doctor.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-28-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Rayne, I've never had abdominal surgery, nor c-section. I am child-free, um childless.

Yes, if it continues or worsens, or comes back, definitely going to see a doctor.
Good idea

Only reason I asked about prior surgeries is that postoperative adhesions (bands of internal scar tissue, which are expected after surgery or even infection) have been known to sometimes constrict the bowel and cause pain. (I've been checking off as many possible causes that come to me. )

I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by Rayne_W; 12-28-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Old 12-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Rayne, it's nice to have someone here with some medical expertise! I always wished I had a doctor or nurse friend to get advice from.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Rayne, it's nice to have someone here with some medical expertise! I always wished I had a doctor or nurse friend to get advice from.
Coders (with 2- or 4-yr degrees) have comparable medical education to nurses...but without the mess! This was the only health field I could handle, since I have serious issues with...um...aromas and certain bodily fluids. Not goin' there!

Sorry to threadjack, but many years ago it was fellow coders, NOT my GP or even ER docs, who figured out that sudden high fevers and rigors I was getting were due to a serious reaction to Quinine pills (it was mimicking malaria). They spared me a spinal tap. And then 2 yrs ago I suspected my SIL's boyfriend's fatigue, lack of appetite, and rapid weight loss was cancer. Turned out to be lymphoma, and he is now cancer-free after his chemo treatments.

About the only time it doesn't pay to be me is around my DD...she's a hypochondriac.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Coders (with 2- or 4-yr degrees) have comparable medical education to nurses...but without the mess! This was the only health field I could handle, since I have serious issues with...um...aromas and certain bodily fluids. Not goin' there!

Sorry to threadjack, but many years ago it was fellow coders, NOT my GP or even ER docs, who figured out that sudden high fevers and rigors I was getting were due to a serious reaction to Quinine pills (it was mimicking malaria). They spared me a spinal tap. And then 2 yrs ago I suspected my SIL's boyfriend's fatigue, lack of appetite, and rapid weight loss was cancer. Turned out to be lymphoma, and he is now cancer-free after his chemo treatments.

About the only time it doesn't pay to be me is around my DD...she's a hypochondriac.
And I'll bet most people don't understand the level of coders' knowledge, nor to they give you the respect you deserve!

I used to work in a pharmacy and realized then how extensive their knowledge is, not just about drugs. But if you ever want to know anything about drug interactions, or what they really do, or what peoples' experience with a drug is, ask a pharmacist instead of a doctor. They're the ones who really know and deal with it every day. Of course nowadays, if you ask a question of almost any medical or related profession, you'll get the sanitized, run-by-the-lawyers answer, and possibly not the accurate one.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Quote:
And I'll bet most people don't understand the level of coders' knowledge, nor to they give you the respect you deserve!

I used to work in a pharmacy and realized then how extensive their knowledge is, not just about drugs. But if you ever want to know anything about drug interactions, or what they really do, or what peoples' experience with a drug is, ask a pharmacist instead of a doctor. They're the ones who really know and deal with it every day. Of course nowadays, if you ask a question of almost any medical or related profession, you'll get the sanitized, run-by-the-lawyers answer, and possibly not the accurate one.
Could not agree more with this! I have resorted to asking my pharmacist questions when things arise because I get the real honest answers...I gave up on my GP about 2 years ago when he sent me on my way as being "fine" after going in to request bloodwork for glucose testing and complaining of horrific nerve pain in the bottoms of my feet.
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
MDs I work with: No. (coders are an annoyance, since we insist they provide complete and accurate documentation)
My personal docs: Usually I terrify them (I speak the same language, and they know they can't gloss things over with me).

Quote:
^^VERY true, on both counts!

I think it's important to self-educate as much as possible, ask questions whenever possible, and self-advocate at all times. If an answer from a doctor doesn't seem right (or you don't feel heard), either keep asking or find a new doctor.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Still have the cramping and gurgling...it's baaaacckkk. I even bought some gas x, and it didn't work. Going to try another caplet. Doesn't seem horrible, but extremely uncomfortable. I guess spinach for lunch wasn't the best idea either, lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

YKW, Cindy? My stomach is doing some serious gurgling right now. It's loud and feels really weird. I wonder why? As it started, I remembered I had this last DD, too. Strange! Mine isn't pain, though, just alot of noise and feels strange in there. (bubbly!!) It doens't feel like hunger pain, either. I'm going to have to see if it happens again next DD!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Mine does that a lot on DD too, but I think it is hunger. It's not ever accompanied by gas though, unlike last night and today (and since it started last night, it couldn't be attributed to DD). Still, doesn't seem too serious, and I thought better of having cabbage for dinner.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Mine does that a lot on DD too, but I think it is hunger. It's not ever accompanied by gas though, unlike last night and today (and since it started last night, it couldn't be attributed to DD). Still, doesn't seem too serious, and I thought better of having cabbage for dinner.
Whoops!!!! I hope all is better tonight for you, LG!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Have you been eating miracle noodles or gluc powder by any chance? If so you may want to reduce or eliminate that since it can cause tummy trouble.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

Nope, never got around to trying any of that, but I don't think I will now. I guess it was due to all that fiber in one day. Most of my UD's have been filled with junk (I'll go ahead and admit it, lol), but that day was filled with veggies (and prunes!). Seemed to indicate that I needed to get rid of some weight tho. Down 3 lbs this morning to a new LOW!!! My first ever WHOOSH!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #52
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Nope, never got around to trying any of that, but I don't think I will now. I guess it was due to all that fiber in one day. Most of my UD's have been filled with junk (I'll go ahead and admit it, lol), but that day was filled with veggies (and prunes!). Seemed to indicate that I needed to get rid of some weight tho. Down 3 lbs this morning to a new LOW!!! My first ever WHOOSH!
Well then, a yay is in order!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Not sure what to write, except I am still having symptoms. I wanted to delete this because I realized something that may be the culprit, but this silly forum is set up so you can't.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-29-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #54

Cindy, I'm so sorry you're still having this problem! I'll bet it's uncomfortable, and also a little scary not knowing exactly what's going on. I hope you'll get to the doctor soon if it doesn't clear up.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #55
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes, LCG, still having the symptoms. It is scary. Feels like it's going to rip through me when it hits. No relief from gas-x at all, so I'm thinking it is not regular gas. It is exactly the same thing I experienced in May after taking a week of antibiotics. I remembered last night that I had taken a lot of ibuprophen over the past two weeks, and someone said that could cause it. What is the remedy is all I want to know, lol.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #56

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry LG. I was really hoping you'd be feeling better today. I think you need to see the doctor. This isn't normal. Keep us posted!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JayLynn
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Good idea

Only reason I asked about prior surgeries is that postoperative adhesions (bands of internal scar tissue, which are expected after surgery or even infection) have been known to sometimes constrict the bowel and cause pain. (I've been checking off as many possible causes that come to me. )

I hope you feel better soon!
This is what happened to my daughter in the early hours of xmas eve day. She had an appendectomy in Oct and was having HORRIBLE cramping and stomach pains and vomiting. E.R. doc said it was most likely scar tissue causing an intestinal blockage. They put a tube into her tummy and it unblocked things...thank goodness...or she would have had to go through another surgery.

I worked for years for medical insurance companies doing claims processing and QA. Don't get me started about doctors and medical insurance.

Rayne, you are so right. You have to research and learn and be your own advocate. I have come across so many idiot "professionals" in my life that I have pretty much lost faith. There are some good ones out there, but it amazes me how...for lack of a better word...stupid and arrogant they are.

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

I don't know if they really are stupid and ignorant, so much as lazy. It's much easier to just prescribe something in the "hopes" it will help. Hate to say it, but the more patients a doc can see the more money they can make. Seems like we get herded in and out like cattle, slapped with a prescription (hope it helps!), and sent on our way. Oh yeah, empty your pocketbook on the way out, please.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Finally got some probiotics today. Worth every penny so far, I think (over $30.00 for a little box!). We'll see how I feel tomorrow, but it seems very hopeful.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
There are some more affordable probiotics out there!

Also, (as with many supplements) if you get loose powder, it's much cheaper than capsules.
I get Sedona Labs iFlora powder & mix it into drinks or pudding, yogurt, etc.

Quote:
Worth every penny so far, I think...it seems very hopeful.
PS--Does this mean they made you feel better already?

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-30-2012 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: add quote, PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote