Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
25 Weeks on JUDDD -- Mad Holiday Weight Gain

Today I weighed in at 265 lbs for a gain of 9 lbs this week, a total loss of 25 lbs overall, 21 of them on JUDDD at a rate of .8 lbs a week.

Three reasons I'm not too freaked out. First of all, I've just had four up days in a row during which it was apparently my goal to eat as many calories as humanly possible, all from the most unhealthy sources I could find. Second, I predicted that I would gain exactly this much. Third, I got a new scale for Christmas which is about three to four pounds heavier than the one I was using before, so it's really more of a 5-6 lb gain.

Downsides

Pickier Palate Leads to Holiday Irritation. When food on my up days isn't princess perfect, I tend to get annoyed. On most up days that usually means that I just won't eat it and find something else. But over the holidays when something that I'd looked forward to all year didn't turn out very well, I used it as an excuse to pig out on something, anything, that tasted good. I felt like I'd deprived myself quite a bit in the days leading up to Christmas, and I did, and the lack of reward probably prompted me to overeat things that I otherwise wouldn't have. For example, since one holiday meal cooked for us by others turned out to be so mortifyingly bland and unappetizing--food that I wouldn't have eaten on a normal day, much less a holiday--eating five little bags of cheetos and two slices of sherry cake to make up for it seemed totally justified.

Body Tries to Regain 35 lbs in 4 Days. Each morning after eating a big meal I expected that I would not be as hungry the next day. Instead, after the third up day in a row, I was totally ravenous. I couldn't fathom it. I'd eaten more in the past few days than probably the past month all together so there was no explanation for it until it finally hit me. My body knows that I've lost a lot of weight and it seemed like it wanted to take advantage now that the 'famine' was over. That convinced me that instead of abandoning rotations until New Years, I would return to them today. I won't count on my up days but now that company isn't here, I can at least do down days to get myself back in the routine before too much damage is done.

Challenging Down Day. I'm finding it challenging to do a DD today knowing that there's a sherry cake in the house, etc. But knowing that I can have it tomorrow is giving me the strength to get through it even with all the temptation in the house. So this is kind of more of an up side than a down side.

Upsides

Catching Myself. Normally, I would not get on a scale in the middle of the holidays. I wouldn't want to know. I would let it go and then be freaked out on January 2nd or whenever it was that I finally got back to business. Because I knew I had a weekly report to make to you guys this actually forced me to face the truth early and stop doing any more damage. That strikes me as really healthy and good--especially since I think (hope) that I will lose at least some of this weight within a few rotations. So thank you, JB's! You guys are saving my life still

Courage. I stepped on the more accurate scale even though I knew it would freak me out a little because it's about three pounds heavier on that scale. I'm going to adjust my upper number because the overall amount of weight that I've lost hasn't changed, but I think I'm going to use the new heavier scale from now on.

Tasty Treats. I didn't do any diet food this holiday and I was glad for it. I discovered new recipes that are going to become new traditions (the baked French Toast casserole was the best french toast I've ever had, and the snowflake cocoa tasted like creme brûlée in a mug). These holiday treats and others are still calling to me from the kitchen today and if I were doing some other kind of diet, they would totally defeat me. But because I know I can and will have all of them tomorrow, I think I'm going to get through today's DD.

Happy Holidays JUDDD BUDDDs!

Last edited by stephdray; 12-27-2012 at 05:59 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
" First of all, I've just had four up days in a row during which it was apparently my goal to eat as many calories as humanly possible, all from the most unhealthy sources I could find."

Thanks for all of this, Steph, and especially for the quote above. I totally relate!!!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
Steph, I love this report! It's so honest and real, and I think that's what we all need to hear from each other, especially the newbies who are dipping their toes in, or thinking about it.

I'm so sorry one of your holiday meals was so bland! Did it just not come off, or do you think those folks just prefer milder flavors? How disappointing, and also, awkward if you had to mmm and ahhh over it anyway!

They say "The more you do, the more you can do." I think it works another way. "The more you eat, the more you want to eat." What the heck is that all about anyway? It really does sometimes seem like our bodies don't want what's best for us. But we can overcome it - we know how.

I have no doubt that you'll release the extra pounds quickly, once you're back on your rotations. You have a great attitude about the few extras, and also about your new scale readings. WTG!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I totally get the "When food on my up days isn't princess perfect, I tend to get annoyed" part! This is supposed to be special! And now I have to pretend to enjoy it and waste precious calories! (UUADs are fun. But I hate wasting any calories.) AARRGGHHHH!

I love the part about deciding to change your plans and rotate between now and NYE...that is so JUDDD, so positive, so healthy. Based on experience, I do suspect the subconscious plays a role in hunger - effectively you 'promised' your body a free-for-all for the next few days. And, as it slams into an unexpected DD, it is wailing, "Is that all there is?!?! No fair!". Betcha your first DD of the new year is easier than those in the interim.

Wonderful update!!! Thank you!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #5

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Timely post for me Steph. Thank you. I just did 3 UUADs in a row and relate to much of what you posted. I'm having a hard time staying in my calories (went over by 200 yesterday), and that's just not like me. I think it's the same phenomenon ~ because I allowed myself to go crazy for a few days, my body just WANTS to keep eating. Grr. I also gained 5 pounds!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
You are braver than I, same thing for me with quite a few UD in a row, have not gotten on the scale! Back to usual maintenance rotations for now, will weigh in after the new year to see where I land!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Steph for your words! I doubly agree that having anything staring at you on a DD, (Sherry Cake) is da worst!

I am doing the tater hack right now due to my indulgences over 3 days. It is therapy for me, not sure why, but maybe because I know I will suffer either way?

I also agree that I am NOT happy knowing that I have leftover treats that my DS will be inheriting today.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Another great update! I don't know what sherry cake is, but I sure want some after reading this!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I'm trying to remember where I put my bag o white chocolate chips.....snowflake cocoa sounds like heaven!!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Love the update, Steph! Happy Holidays to you
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
As always a great post Steph!
I know the new year will find all of us settling back into rotations and shedding our holiday bloat. JUDDD is forgiving and that is a fact.
Have a very happy new year!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #12

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Steph, I love that you do these weekly reports. I haven't read too many of them, not being around much, but I do love them. What a record you will have of your journey on JUDDD! Brilliant.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I like what you said about wasting calories. I feel like that every UD, lol. I guess it is because I am "new". When do you stop feeling like you have to have the best food/treats in the world EOD? I have that desperate feeling sometimes, got to get the precious, got to get the precious (treats) because tomorrow is famine!
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I had 5 UD/UUADs in a row over the holiday I'm finding it really hard to get my mind set back in the right place and while I've had a couple solid DDs since Christmas, my UDs have been a disaster I can totally relate to craving more and more food, after allowing ourselves to eat freely for a few days! It does seem like all the free days I had triggered something and I can't get back on track now. I've decided to do a few potato only days-hopefully the blandness of this will give me a mental 'reset' and I'll be able to start the new year refocused!

Love your updates
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Great post as ever Steph. Well done on weighing in for us all! I was too cowardly, I waited until I'd had 2 DDs, but I got my reward anyway as the JUDDD magic worked for me.

Funny how our bodies try to get all that food in, it is like Dr J says, the modern world is not a good environment for our hunter gatherer genes.

I am looking forward to a MD tomorrow followed by a great DD as we do a big New Year meal with all our neighbours, so that has to be an UD.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I just wanted to say Hi

I'm crazy sick, and so glad tomorrow is my first DD after 2 weeks of UD/UUAD.

A thought about what you wrote-- maybe the ravenous hunger can be attributed to a) lack of SIRT and/or b) eating more carbs--> hungries, and c) both of the above?

I can tell you though, cold medicine kills the hunger. blah.

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Hi, everyone has posted something here that I can relate to, very well....the last several days, around Christmas I was having mostly ud's...I was really concerned that I could not get back to the rotations and losing weight again..I am glad to report..that has not been the case...I am back on track, and lost another 4 lbs ...that is a miracle, to me..it took me two times to do a decent down day...and I did use the potato for the dd...that has been the key for me because it does seem to get my appetite back under control...I'm grateful for that..as I watch all the people exercising on tv, knowing that I cannot physically do that, I say thank you God and thank you Juddd budds for helping me get off the fat, even tho I cannot do P90X...ok.let's tone it up now...ah one and ah two...come on exercisers, I'm watching ...
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well i have been absent for a while here, was on vaction from work for 11 days And i must report that WOW did i love eating every thing i wanted and dint have a care as to what that scale said...TILL.... I jumped on AFTER is was all over.. and OMG how can the body put on 9 pounds??? LMAO... The hungar monster woke up and WOW was it tough to get back in the mind set that hungar is a GOOD feeling.. ... So it did take me 4 days to get that extra back off and was soo thrilled to KNOW.. JUDDD is the one thing that makes over indulgance of CARBs and yummy deserts possible to consume and take it right back off! Im so happy i have JUDDD and my JUDDD BUDDS Happy losing to all~ 2013 is goin to be ours greatest year yet!
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Steph, you're brave
You too, Kimberly
I am NOT weighing until I have a few good DD under my "belt" so to speak.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
I just wanted to say Hi

I'm crazy sick, and so glad tomorrow is my first DD after 2 weeks of UD/UUAD.

A thought about what you wrote-- maybe the ravenous hunger can be attributed to a) lack of SIRT and/or b) eating more carbs--> hungries, and c) both of the above?

I can tell you though, cold medicine kills the hunger. blah.

S.
I missed you Soren! Hope you are well on the way to being healthy again.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/212/147 or size 8/10
WOE: 2000/1000 rotations, moderate carb
Start Date: 11/3/14; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymar View Post
I am back on track, and lost another 4 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
it did take me 4 days to get that extra back off and was soo thrilled to KNOW.. JUDDD is the one thing that makes over indulgance of CARBs and yummy deserts possible to consume and take it right back off! Im so happy i have JUDDD and my JUDDD BUDDS
So great! I love these stories of quick post-indulgence recovery with JUDDD.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

aww to you Christina!

I will say that with this thread in mind, I weighed this morning (i.e. with no DDs under my belt yet this year) and I'm up 8lbs from my last known weight.

So I changed my stats <----- and VVVV below, and am taking that as my start for this year.

Onward and DOWNward!
S.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

I want to reply to all of you and your wonderful notes, but I have been felled by some evil virus. Maybe the same one that has got Soren. Yesterday--my first planned DD--was fever and chills. And though I wasn't very hungry I'm sure I blew my entire 500 calories on orange juice and honey in my lemon tea. So I followed it up with a bunch of soup and turned it into an Up Day.

Today is an easy DD so far because I spent all of it in bed. Bleh.

But I feel certain I'm on the mend and I will step on the scale tomorrow. Horrors!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuckyLou
Stats: 202.8/182.8/
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: Reboot June 2014
Sorry to hear of the sicknesses, folks, but so glad to have popped back in to read updates on this thread. So, other people went a bit stir crazy over Christmas too, yay AND other people have had trouble slotting back into good DDs, double Yay

Misery loves company, eh? Apologies for rejoicing in other people's misery because if you felt in any way like I feel now, it was horrible for you. The only thing is, my 'now' feeling has changed because of this thread:
Other people eventually MADE IT through their DD, all sorts of Yays

Well done each & every one of you; I hope to be with you day after tomorrow... Fingers crossed!
Old 01-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Steph!

The end of this virus is in sight... I need binoculars, but it's there
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #26

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Be well ladies, my cold is just a cold, so I am lucky.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Feel better soon, those of you who are sick with one of the many viruses going around now.

Steph, I just wanted to thank you for your weekly posts, which were very illuminating and helpful to me as a JUDDD newbie (started October 25). Someone (Carly, I think) gathered them together as a series of excellent posts for those new to JUDDD to read, and I found them very insightful and a great read.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

26 Weeks on JUDDD -- The Ship is Listing

Yesterday I weighed in at 261 lbs for a loss of 4 lbs this week, a total loss of 29 lbs, 25 of them on JUDDD at a rate of .96 lbs a week.

= or because my brand new scale is already broken and I've gone back to the old one =

Yesterday I weighed in at 258 lbs for a loss of 7 lbs this week, a total loss of 32 lbs 28 of them on JUDDD at a rate of 1.07 lbs a week

I like the old scale better because it means that my total holiday damage was on the order of 2 lbs. I can deal with that kind of gain.

Either way, my rate of loss is not very impressive and I'm actually thinking of leaving it off the reports because it's discouraging and it also disguises the fact that many of those weeks I was simply off plan. On vacation, on holiday, on maintenance, whatever.

As always the ups and downsides for the week:

Downsides

Sick. Caught some kind of winter flu. Rotations have been pretty shaky because of it. (As it turns out, orange juice has a lot of calories in it!) But today was a good low down day...even with chicken soup.

Up Days Still A Problem. Totally, wildly, outrageously late in getting my book done for my publisher, which means that January might not see the righting of the Diet Ship as much as I want it to as I'm not good at counting my up days when every waking hour is devoted to work. I really don't want January to be another month of 'Every Up Day is an Up Up And Away Day' but I am comforting myself with the fact that January won't be laden with holiday treats and the memory that I did, in fact, continue to lose weight even when every up day was an up up and away day.

Upsides

It's like Riding a Bicycle. I worried that getting back on the JUDDD wagon would be hard after going off plan during Christmas. Turns out, not so much! Instead of dreading my DDs I actually looked forward to them. (Yes, I just said that!) And when I was able to slip one in, I did it. Today's DD isn't hard at all. I had tea for breakfast, broth for lunch, and chicken soup for dinner. I still have calories left over. I'm kind of astonished and delighted to find that this has totally become a lifestyle for me that's second nature. There was no big drama about getting back on the wagon. I just did it when I felt well enough to do it.

At Least One Healthier Habit. I'd like to say that I forego junk food on a regular basis or that I don't ever binge anymore or that I always stop eating when I should or any of that stuff, but it appears that takes a certain mindfulness. What has become second nature because of Down Days, however, is drinking hot beverages and lots of them. I'm a big coffee and tea drinker now and that is a habit that lasted even through the holidays. You might not think this is especially healthy, but it is--especially for someone like me who often confused hunger with thirst. Instead of reaching for a snack now whenever I'm mildly discontent, I reach first for a hot beverage whether it's an up day or a down day. That's serious progress and it's a habit I'd like to keep for the rest of my life.

Love you JUDDD BUDDDs. Now I climb back into my sickbed.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #29
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Steph those Upsides are simply beautiful! I didn't even faint when you said you actually like DDs! I smiled, a huge, goofy, smile, but I wasn't shocked, because I have experienced the feeling myself. It is blissfully easy to jump back into JUDDD after a vacation or whatever. It is a lifestyle and one, that if you are in for the long haul, doesn't care if you lose 2 pounds a week or 2 pounds a month. JUDDD doesn't even always make sense. I have had a month where I lost 4 pounds, next month did not change a thing and lost over 10 pounds, but it works. Sometime quickly, sometimes slowly, but if you're working it JUDDD works (apparently even with a bunch of UUADs!

Feel better!

JUDDD is very simple, very livable and very flexible. JUDDD allows weight loss and life to happen simultaneously.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote