Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   curious about nighttime scale drops (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/791987-curious-about-nighttime-scale-drops.html)

TryingJudd 12-24-2012 09:46 AM

curious about nighttime scale drops

I have been obsessively trying to figure out my body and have started to weight myself at night before bed (yikes!) and then again in the morning. There is often a 4-5 pound difference overnight that can in no way be explained by what gets flushed down the toilet. (sorry TMI) Anyone else weigh at night, see huge differences and know where all that poundage goes to?

Carly 12-24-2012 10:07 AM

Yes, but I'm the opposite- I frequently drop 3 or more pounds throughout the day even on most UDs. I think medication I take at night makes me retain water so my weight is high in the morning and throughout the day I have to wee wee A LOT!:hyst:

deedee 12-24-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Anyone else weigh at night, see huge differences and know where all that poundage goes to?
I was just reading about this, I think it was a primer on youtube or something similar on "how to weigh yourself" and it had a whole explanation for why you weigh the least in the morning. I wish I could remember it! I'll see if I can find it, because it was interesting, there's a scientific reason behind it.

Librarygirl 12-24-2012 10:31 AM

I almost always weigh a little over 2 lbs more at night. So, sometimes if I feel I've had a good DD, I weigh at night and I know I'll be about 2 lbs less in the morning. :D

ravenrose 12-24-2012 10:37 AM

you respirate. the moisture in your breath really adds up! that's where it goes. that loss is a combination of the three ways we (normally) excrete water: urine, breath, and sweat. So this time of year I'm assuming you don't sweat a lot at night, but that can contribute too, especially if you have hot flashes!

Librarygirl 12-24-2012 10:52 AM

I doubt the change would be apparent if you stayed up all night. Probably has a lot to do with not ingesting any fluids (or solids) for 8ish hours.

gotsomeold 12-24-2012 11:02 AM

Several times over the last year I decided to put my scientific mind to work and weighed every hour, on the hour. I annotated the weights with short notes about input/output during the intervening hour.

My analysis? To return to my Suthen roots, "This don't make no sense, nohow." :hyst:

My conclusion? Choose one time of day for my 'official' weight, amuse myself buy weighing before and after.

Librarygirl 12-24-2012 11:12 AM

Nancy, we say, "That don't make no damn sense!" :D :D :D

Zib 12-24-2012 11:14 AM

Generally, I'll lose a pound overnight. Lately it's been more like 2 pounds, so a nice surprise in the morning when I weigh less than expected.

adillenal 12-24-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16151463)
I almost always weigh a little over 2 lbs more at night. So, sometimes if I feel I've had a good DD, I weigh at night and I know I'll be about 2 lbs less in the morning. :D

Same here. I can pretty much take a 2 # drop to the bank from nightie night time to wake up time.

lisabinil 12-24-2012 11:23 AM

Very simply put your body refreshes and rebuilds itself during sleep-processing vits, minerals etc-cellular reconstruction occurs etc-this is why there is scientific evidence that poor sleep hinders weight loss.

Carly 12-24-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 16151548)
Very simply put your body refreshes and rebuilds itself during sleep-processing vits, minerals etc-cellular reconstruction occurs etc-this is why there is scientific evidence that poor sleep hinders weight loss.

I know this to be true for myself- not only can I forget a loss if I slept poorly, but a bounce up is not unheard of.

LoCarbGal 12-24-2012 01:37 PM

Very interesting. I remember hearing that we lose most of our weight through respiration. We all think so much about it going down the potty, but really we're breathing it out all day and all night.

I've noticed something interesting about myself in the last few weeks. I get up in the morning, pee (rarely anything else first thing), weigh, get makeup on and hair done. 30 to 45 minutes later, tiny little pee again and whatever else, and weigh, and I'm almost always 1/2 pound lighter. I've seen it be 1.5 pound lighter after a good unloading, IYKWIM! So I always wait for that 2nd weigh in before I accept my weight that day. Why do I still weigh that first time? I don't know!

I usually shower before bed, so I don't know how this would change things with water absorbed and lotion etc.

Carly 12-24-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16151740)
Very interesting. I remember hearing that we lose most of our weight through respiration. We all think so much about it going down the potty, but really we're breathing it out all day and all night.

I've noticed something interesting about myself in the last few weeks. I get up in the morning, pee (rarely anything else first thing), weigh, get makeup on and hair done. 30 to 45 minutes later, tiny little pee again and whatever else, and weigh, and I'm almost always 1/2 pound lighter. I've seen it be 1.5 pound lighter after a good unloading, IYKWIM! So I always wait for that 2nd weigh in before I accept my weight that day. Why do I still weigh that first time? I don't know!

I usually shower before bed, so I don't know how this would change things with water absorbed and lotion etc.

Do we absorb that much water when we shower?:dunno::confused:
I sometimes shower 3x a day... I know... :stars: I'm a little OCD :o
If we absorb a lot of water from showering no wonder I have to wee wee so much...:laugh:

LoCarbGal 12-24-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16151746)
Do we absorb that much water when we shower?:dunno::confused:
I sometimes shower 3x a day... I know... :stars: I'm a little OCD :o
If we absorb a lot of water from showering no wonder I have to wee wee so much...:laugh:

:hyst: Carly! I don't know, but I've heard that. I know my skin is so dry, all the time but especially in winter, that I hope I absorb some. Oil while still wet and then lotion. It's gotta seal something in. Now if I wind up just weeing it all out, then I don't know....:dunno::hyst:

Carly 12-24-2012 02:03 PM

I'm really better off not knowing these things or thinking about them- too much nonsense already up there!:stars:

Librarygirl 12-24-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16151740)

I don't weigh until after a cup of coffee and poddy. :D First morning wee doesn't take enough away.;)

E.W. 12-30-2012 08:40 AM

I always weigh 3 to 4 lbs higher at night than when I get up in the morning.

Librarygirl 12-30-2012 11:41 AM

Every time I see this thread on my CP, it reminds me of that novel, "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". :D :D

Luna Loca 12-30-2012 12:44 PM

LG, :huh:

I weigh three pounds more at night, almost without fail, than I do in the morning. It's come to the point where I can weigh at night instead of in the morning and do the math, it's that reliable. I've always assumed it's the combination of nightime bathroom visits, respiration and the fact that I'm not taking in fluids or food.

Librarygirl 12-30-2012 12:50 PM

I guess it's not funny to people who don't read novels much, lol. :D Soz ;)

mom23kids 12-30-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16160360)
Every time I see this thread on my CP, it reminds me of that novel, "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". :D :D

That's on my 2013 tbr list :D

TryingJudd 12-30-2012 01:16 PM

Ok - now I have to look it up and put it on my kindle wish list. Recommended?

mom23kids 12-30-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 16160568)
Ok - now I have to look it up and put it on my kindle wish list. Recommended?

I've heard a lot of good about it-I think it was a popular book club choice when it first came out :)

Kissa 12-30-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16160360)

Looooved that book, saw an incredible dramatisation of it at the National theatre earlier this year. Wow!

Sorry, for Thread Jack.

TryingJudd 12-30-2012 04:58 PM

Just downloaded it. Can we call this the JB and book club group? Thanks!

Librarygirl 12-30-2012 05:07 PM

I wonder if it would be ok to start a JB Book Club on the JUDDD forum?

krow134 12-30-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Loca (Post 16160509)
LG, :huh:

I weigh three pounds more at night, almost without fail, than I do in the morning. It's come to the point where I can weigh at night instead of in the morning and do the math, it's that reliable. I've always assumed it's the combination of nightime bathroom visits, respiration and the fact that I'm not taking in fluids or food.

I am the same way!!! I know if I will lose in the morning by the weight before bed!!

Librarygirl 12-30-2012 05:22 PM

I have been happily surprised sometimes, Katie, too though. At night on occasion I was wayyy up, and went down more than 2 lbs the next morning. Thankfully! :) Also, have thought I would be 2 lbs less and wasn't a few times, lol, but not often.

mykidsteacher 12-30-2012 06:29 PM

Reliably, like clockwork, 2 pounds less in the morning than the night before.