Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Holiday rotations: not exactly going as planned! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/791949-holiday-rotations-not-exactly-going-planned.html)

Deen73 12-23-2012 01:52 PM

Holiday rotations: not exactly going as planned!

How's everyone doing? Well, I had meant to keep up with rotations this week, I really did... lol. But, as soon as my mom got here (bringing a truly gargantuan haul of yummy stuff from Trader Joe's with her!) -- all that sort of went out the widow. Today's an UD, so that's ok. My past two DD's though have really sort of been like medium-days (about 1100 cal. each). I'm wondering how this is going to affect me. I'm scared to get on the scale right now, and I'm really fighting that "well, I've screwed up, so now just GIVE up" mentality. How are things with you guys this week?

route66 12-23-2012 02:20 PM

Don't give up! You haven't "screwed up" - JUDDD is flexible!! I gave myself permission to have MD instead of DD. I am trying to eat light in the day and a hearty meal at night so I don't feel I am missing out.

I also am really trying to enjoy the treats, but if they aren't as yummy as I imagined or hoped for, I am putting it down and waiting for the next yummy opportunity - there will be plenty of them...

Please don't beat yourself up and most important - don't give up - you can make it work for you! Strict rotations can come back in play in a few short days...

Hope this helps...

VioletsGrandMom 12-23-2012 02:30 PM

I am really afraid of not being able to climb back on the Judd wagon again too. After doing sooooo well for almost two months, I screwed up the other day. Could not resist the candy that was given to me as a gift and then I had Wendys for dinner (and not just a small chili either).
My joints have felt so good since starting Judd, I am just amazed. I am trying to maintain now for the next couple of days - I ate about 1200 calories yesterday and I am going to try to just have 2300 today.
I too am trying to fight the "Oh the he** with it" mood too.

LoCarbGal 12-23-2012 02:49 PM

We can't count anything that happens for the next week as a failure. This is celebration time, and if that includes yummy treats, then yay...and so be it. January will be our fresh start. We may have a few extra pounds to get rid of, but we deserve to celebrate!

I'm on my last DD today until Christmas Eve/Christmas Day feasting. I'm staying at Mom's and we'll cook the big dinner tomorrow, and have a repeat Tuesday. I was hoping to have a REALLY light day both days until dinner, so I can enjoy w/o counting. Mom is wanting me to make biscuits and my homemade lemon curd for breakfast. I don't know whether I'll be able to resist, but we'll see. I've done so great this last week or so, I hate to have to go over the same ground/lose the same pounds again, but.....

angie1 12-23-2012 03:39 PM

I'm in the same boat . I have only managed to get about 2 DD's in the last week and half before Christmas. Every other day has been rather an UD or MD. I don't plan on weighing myself until after boxing day (a DD).

No stress though! --> enjoy the holidays and treats and do the best you can with moderation and rotations.

January we will go back to STRICT rotations all together :)

Flossyliz 12-23-2012 05:04 PM

Deen, you're actually doing well if your DDs have only crept up to 1100 at this tempting time of year! Well done for avoiding UUADs.
Fantastic that you haven't played the what the heck card and given up. Your intention will keep you sufficiently on track for now. Just go back to clean DDs as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, enjoy Christmas!!

Carly 12-23-2012 05:25 PM

My holiday "events" are all dinners so I think I will just be Fast5ing it starting tonight through the first. If a DD happens- great, but I think I'll just be fasting till dinner and enjoying. I will weigh everyday 'cause that's how I am, but the bounce doesn't worry me unless it stops being a bounce and really starts climbing. Then I may decide that a DD is in order, but at that point I will pick the DD because I want to- not because I have to.. Cindy's siggy is correct. It is not what you eat between Christmas and New Year that counts- it is what you eat between New Year and Christmas that counts!

DesertGurl 12-23-2012 05:55 PM

The last coupla weeks have been somewhat of a disaster for me...got super sick all while TOM came, as I sat watching the scale bounce up 8 lbs..:faint:..NOT how I envisioned going into the end of the month!
..then went on vacation for 4 days.... :rolleyes:

I decided to not sweat the rotations and enjoy the next few days as they come. Surprisingly I'm finding that my appetite is not what it once was and I can't seem to overdo much anymore..gotta love JUDDD for that! :up:

Be kind to yourself and know that you will get back to business in the next few days. Enjoy yourself and family and "just be". We will all be here walking the walk with you, I can guarantee you that! :high5:

For what it's worth, I think you've done great so far! :)

Rayne_W 12-23-2012 06:11 PM

I'm another one who has recently fought off the "well, now I've gone and done it...I've failed!" thing.

Thanks to other BUDDDs, I'm slowwwwly learning that tomorrow is a new start. Not a two-week LC induction as repentance, just tomorrow. One day. A new start. Yesterday is yesterday, leave it behind you and put your focus forward.

Also, the concensus almost seems to be "December is a wash". Works for me. :laugh:

Deen73 12-23-2012 08:38 PM

You guys are so cool -- I swear, sometimes I feel like this board is just too good to be true (just like this WOE). Yeah, I mean, rationally I know that December is probably not going to be anyone's most meticulously on-plan month. Heck, I've never even attempted to stick to a plan, nor done anything else than eat completely off-plan this time of year before. So even THINKING about it and sort of trying to stick to some semblance of rotations can be considered a success.

Route66 -- Good plan -- not all the high-calorie treats are worth it. So why not pick and choose and indulge in the REALLY amazing ones? I'm onboard with that!

VioletsGrandmom -- Yep, it's amazing what this WOE can do. Everyone around me was sick last week -- I didn't get it. I've heard ADF helps your general immunity as well as lessens inflammation and that's helping your joints as well. That's motivation to keep going right there!

LoCarbGal -- Mmmmm... I want lemon curd! And biscuits! Yum! lol You are so right -- nothing this week is a failure. I was having a really good DD, day before yesterday, until my mom showed up with homemade raviolis and meatballs. Weeellll... I think I still came in at about 1200 calories for the day -- so we're gonna call that a success! :P

Angie -- Yes ma'am, back to strict rotations after the new year for me. Love your avi pic, btw -- you look great! :)

Flossy -- thanks -- you know, you're right -- 1100 calorie days are NOT that much. It's funny how that starts to seem SO high when you've been doing 500. :)

Carly -- yep, you know, I never realized how much EVERY holiday event revolves around food. They really all do. And not to mention the fact that my mom is staying with us for the Christmas week, and, not wishing to really get into a huge argument about what's healthy and what's not, I'm kind of not *mentioning* that I'm only eating 500 calories every other day... It's like the plot to a bad sit-com... lol

DesertGurl -- I so know what you mean -- I'm not sure if it's stomach-shrinkage or JUDDD magic or what -- but I definitely can't eat as much as I once could, either! That is a really nice side effect. But, yes, we are doing great -- even something as simple as posting here and being conscious of one's eating this time of year (at all) is WAY ahead of the game, in my opinion. We ARE doing great. :)

Rayne -- Yep, tomorrow is a new day and January a new month. Like I said, I've never even been able to maintain during the month of December before (and it was super-smart of me to start a new WOE now, too -- I'm a great planner! :P) -- but I seem to be at least accomplishing that. So, yep, no giving up -- and a wash is probably a good thing in this case, right? lol

garnet10 12-23-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deen73 (Post 16150423)
How's everyone doing? Well, I had meant to keep up with rotations this week, I really did... lol. But, as soon as my mom got here (bringing a truly gargantuan haul of yummy stuff from Trader Joe's with her!) -- all that sort of went out the widow. Today's an UD, so that's ok. My past two DD's though have really sort of been like medium-days (about 1100 cal. each). I'm wondering how this is going to affect me. I'm scared to get on the scale right now, and I'm really fighting that "well, I've screwed up, so now just GIVE up" mentality. How are things with you guys this week?

I have messed up my planned rotations as well. I'm glad you started this thread--I felt too uncomfortable to admit this. I also got really sick last week, recovered slightly, then felt sick again, and I just could not do the 500 calorie days that I planned. I felt too weak.

I have resolved that things will get back on track once on 12/26, once Christmas is over.

I hope you are feeling better since you posted, and can hang in there! I'll be hanging in there, too.:hugs:

Wow, I just read all of the other posts! You guys are really great! So nice to be here, knowing that tomorrow IS another day (well, not tomorrow, but 12/26!)

Demonica 12-24-2012 12:36 AM

I am so far off plan, I need to die, resurruect and start ALLL over again. :annoyed::mad:

gotsomeold 12-24-2012 04:18 AM

JUDDD is not for everyone. But, if you have been JUDDDing for a week or so with good results, then the only way you can fail is to give up.

There is a lot of very good advice here. Slip in a few extra hours of low cal or fasting in when you can...and I mean even on an UD that culminates in a UUAD dinner. If it ain't delicious, don't eat it.

And, if you eat the pantry clean, NBD. Really. When the party is over, return to your rotations...you may even find - as the party is ending - that you are looking forward to that first, clean DD.

The only way you can fail is to give up!

The world is not ending. This is not my first rodeo - or my first big bounce - and I promise you: This is only a slowdown. :hugs:

Joyjoy 12-24-2012 06:27 AM

:goodpost::goodpost:
Never give up. And holy moly, this is the time to practice instant forgiveness.
This season throws the biggest curve balls (or pies!) of the year at us. It's an ENORMOUS challenge. We get hit in the face by some of them. That's the way it is.
The only way for me to make it worse is by saying I failed or got it wrong. It isn't failing, it's learning more about myself. Period.
How to make it better? Instant forgiveness. Let it go, be glad I'm willing to learn, and stand up again.
My successes and "failures" will never end. My goal is to loosen up about that, maintain a sense of humour, and do whatever it takes to go forward with optimism. Coming here is excellent for that.
We're human. I LOVE that. :):heart:

mom23kids 12-24-2012 06:28 AM

Um, yeah-it's been an eating free for all over here since Saturday :o I actually put my scale in the closet so I wouldn't have to look at it :rofl: Today/tomorrow are two more UDs, and then I'm back on track-so no worries :D

deedee 12-24-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Mom is wanting me to make biscuits and my homemade lemon curd for breakfast. I don't know whether I'll be able to resist, but we'll see. I've done so great this last week or so, I hate to have to go over the same ground/lose the same pounds again, but...
Biscuits and lemon curd? Two of my greatest weaknesses right there, that sounds amazing!

I'm trying to make today a MD, but I'm not sure how practical that is. And the problem with Christmas being so closely followed by New Years is that it makes me feel like the entire week in between should be a free for all!

gotsomeold 12-24-2012 10:06 AM

I wonder if it possible to bathe in lemon curd? I am certain there has to be a way to bathe in creme brulee .......

mom23kids 12-24-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16151326)
I wonder if it possible to bathe in lemon curd? I am certain there has to be a way to bathe in creme brulee .......

:rofl:

TryingJudd 12-24-2012 11:18 AM

OMG lemon curd. Is there anything yummier???

Carly 12-24-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

I've never had lemon curd, but if it's anything like creme brulee... fill the tub... I'm in!

LoCarbGal 12-24-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingJudd (Post 16151444)
OMG lemon curd. Is there anything yummier???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16151550)
I've never had lemon curd, but if it's anything like creme brulee... fill the tub... I'm in!

I'll get to cooking and you can all come over! Surely most of the calories can't be absorbed by the skin! We'll have a spa soak in the curd!

So, I did have one biscuit and 1 T of lemon curd and was fine with it! I've had about 700+ calories and Christmas Eve dinner coming up tonight. Very happy indeed!

Carly 12-24-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16151751)
I'll get to cooking and you can all come over! Surely most of the calories can't be absorbed by the skin! We'll have a spa soak in the curd!

So, I did have one biscuit and 1 T of lemon curd and was fine with it! I've had about 700+ calories and Christmas Eve dinner coming up tonight. Very happy indeed!

I don't know where you live, but if I walk I'll burn most of it off before we get to bathing in it :hyst:

LoCarbGal 12-24-2012 03:08 PM

I think to Arizona would pretty much burn all of you away!

Carly 12-24-2012 03:35 PM

Oh, but it must be warm and toasty! I would like to live in Arizona or Nevada. I've been a few times and the dessert heat agrees with my arthritis- not to mention every day was a good hair day. The NY summer humidity does no justice for my hair style and NY winters- ugh... I'll start walking now!

DesertGurl 12-24-2012 04:05 PM

Carly, I think I'd trade places with you any day. I HATE living in the desert. Counting the days (years) til we leave. I have never been so sick all the time as I have been here. Meh! And that heat? It never goes away it feels like ;) I am a Cali girl at heart and that's where I need to be. Definitely!

Lemon curd sounds very yummy. ..my mouth watered reading about it :yummy:

Carly 12-24-2012 04:08 PM

I guess the grass is alway greener on the other side of the fence... I'd take the dead grass and heat over the wind and cold!

Librarygirl 12-24-2012 06:45 PM

Carly, you might like S.C. :) Well, you would have to put up with humidity, but it's good for the skin. ;) If not hair. :D We have some cold weather in the winter, but it doesn't last long and hardly ever any snow. I pray for snow days! haha! I guess we have about the same summers though, HOT. I think this might be the first summer in a long time that I actually look forward to the heat, lol. DD did that to me. :)

VioletsGrandMom 12-25-2012 05:02 AM

I have to figure out the quote thingy - lots of great words in this thread! Thanks for the inspiration and the funnies - lemon curd sounds delicious and picturing myself bathing in it - HAHAHA

gotsomeold 12-25-2012 05:36 AM

Cindy, I am in Hendersonville NC - just up the road from Greenville. We get better snow, higher mountains, and :cry: shopping.

cici52 12-25-2012 07:50 AM

This is the most fun of all "diet" forums. Hope after the holidays abounds. I haven't even tried to rotate or restrict for the past week and am getting it all out of my system until after NY. What have I learned? When I do nothing, the weight WILL creep up but I have control. A couple pounds over the holidays is nothing in the total picture and the good habits of the past few months mean it really is just a couple pounds of carb bounce after VLC for a bit. COme 1/2/13 it is back to rotations and LC and beating the stall. I suspect the period of non-restriction may even be the catalyst to break that stall once back to plan. So bring on the celebratory feasts. Permission to enjoy granted.