Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Advise on setting activity and calorie levels, please

I've been doing the JUDDD 20% calorie levels for a woman of my size and age doing "light exercise, 1-3 days/week" (400-500 on DD, around 2000 on UD), and I recall reading here that one should underestimate activity levels when using the calculator on Dr. Johnson's website. I'd like to hear if others are using higher activity levels to set their calories and get advice about what I should do.

I normally walk around 5 miles a day (to and from work, running errands) and have lately been incorporating other exercise, like 25-45 minute toning and resistence workout and spending around 90 minutes/day, several times a week, on the elliptical machine at the highest level of resistence (through however long it takes for a movie to run). According to the elliptical machine, that alone burns around 1000 calories, which I assume is an overestimate (since my body is used to that exercise). I'm finding it difficult to stay within those 500/2000 calorie limits lately due to hunger. If I used the "moderate exercise, 3-5 days/week" levels, I'd be eating 2300 calories on my UD and 459 on my DD.

I know we all have to experiment and see what works for us, but I'd really appreciate knowing what experienced JUDDDers have found works for them if they work out.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I use the "no exercise" option, so I'm no help there. Are you losing well?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I use the "no exercise" option, so I'm no help there. Are you losing well?
I've only been doing JUDDD since late October, and I was losing at the rate of around 8 pounds a month, though more slowly for the last couple of weeks. For me, that is phenomenally successful, since I was losing only about 1 pound per month during much of the time I was just eating lowcarb and keeping calories pretty low every day (around 1200/day). I have been having more hunger issues lately, since upping my exercise, and that's why I was thinking of upping calories slightly.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I know there are some who have tried upping calories and have actually lost better. I lowered too far at one point and had to increase again to get weight moving. There are others who gain when they increase calories. Could you try it at the higher numbers for a couple weeks and see what happens? I know that's easier said than done when you're putting your own rate of loss on the line.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 12-20-2012 at 02:38 PM..
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I know there are some who have tried upping calories and have actually lost better. I lowered to far at one point and had to increase again to get weight moving. There are others who gain when they increase calories. Could you try it at the higher numbers for a couple weeks and see what happens? I know that's easier said than done when you're putting your own rate of loss on the line.
Sounds like a good plan, Dawn. Now that I've lost the first 50 pounds, I'm okay with not losing the last 50 super fast. It's important to me that I feel good along the journey, so I'm going to try the experiment you suggest, so long as I keep up the exercise. Thanks for the support. I can always dial the calories down again, and I do intend to keep dutifully tracking them, along with checking my weight at least once a week.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Just my opinion, as I am a newbie, but all that exercise sounds like it would burn a lot of calories. I read where someone said they eat back half of their calories instead of the whole amount as recommended by the calculator. That is, divide what they say you can have for the amount of exercise you're doing, in half, which would still be higher than the no/little exercise option.
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
I no longer am doing JUDDD... couldn't handle the DD deprivation... BUT after reading a lot lately from the LC experts about how our bodies work, the more we exercise aerobically, the more we will eat because our bodies NEED that food as fuel. If we aren't eating the food to compensate for the activity, then our bodies will hold on for dear life to our fat. I can't help but think that your body is holding onto the fat because of all the activity you are doing. Maybe if you tone it down a bit, do a bit more strength training and less aerobics, "mix it up" carb wise or calorically, you may be able to get things moving again.

Good luck!!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
I play tennis a couple times a week and I don't add calories in general. If I am particularly hungry I just add a 100-300 cal snack - half a sandwich or apple and PB or a beer with dinner or a granola bar or a protein drink. It's helped me stay mindful that exercise is not a license to eat the entire fridge (definitely a philosophy I had in the past!!)

Seems like the additional exercise is doing something - feed that metabolism!!

So, I say if you have exercised and you are hungry, then eat a little more.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the helpful feedback, everyone. I think I'm going to cut down on the elliptical work--since that's probably the exercise I need least, given my habit of walking several miles a day--and upping my resistence and toning exercise time instead. I have 2 four-day weekends coming up, so I'm making a pre-New Year's resolution to try out a bunch of those never-opened workout DVDs, along with continuing to do the Jane Fonda prime time ones.