Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   First fasted DD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/791752-first-fasted-dd.html)

Kettleboy 12-19-2012 11:59 PM

First fasted DD

Decided to try a fully fasted DD, now 36 hours in, and going well, so may push it to 48 hours, UD dinner to UD dinner.

All part of an experiment to see if one complete fast a week with the other days UD's would allow me to maintain?

Also with the cold weather have a few old injuries playing up, so perhaps some fasting will create a less inflammatory enviroment in my body? we'll see..

So hopefully I will make it to dinner, 11 hours and counting :-) although actually at the moment I have no hunger at all:dunno:

Kettleboy 12-20-2012 12:02 AM

to add, after UD on tuesday 198, this morning 193.5.

After dinner tonight will be interesting to see what the scale says in the morning. And today is a gym day, which I intend to go ahead with, probably 5 mile run, and some kettle bell work, last workout before xmas I suspect.

C'Marie 12-20-2012 02:12 AM

Whoa, you're doing a 5-mile run fasted?

Hope you get the results you are seeking!

Kettleboy 12-20-2012 02:28 AM

just back ended up doing 10 km, feel really invigorated, didn't want to stop? currently I have no desire for food and feel fantastic? buzzing...

gotsomeold 12-20-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kettleboy (Post 16145111)
to add, after UD on tuesday 198, this morning 193.5.

... :dunno: Men!!!

The 'old injury' improvement really can be amazing. For, oh about 25 years I had arthritis in my right hand - a gift from a cat bite that became infected. Over the years, the pain became worse and worse. When the weather changed the hand was almost unusable.

Since JUDDD and SIRTs entered my life, I go for months without a twinge. If the pain begins I know I have to intensify my rotations because I have either slipped too high on DD or too low on UD.

I hope this fast - or a series of fasts - helps you!!

Kettleboy 12-20-2012 03:55 AM

thinking about how to break the fast tonite, as I dont really fancy anything in particular, I'm going to follow the momentum of the juddd board and go for Potatoes only:-)

That should be intersting....

Carly 12-20-2012 04:42 AM

I'm interested to hear how the potato only break fast went? Please don't put yourself into starvation mode.

Kettleboy 12-20-2012 01:41 PM

Best laid plans....

So about 1000 kcal of pots, unfortunately this just opened the flood gates! So after 48 hours of nothing, 2 hours of everything, will be interested in what the scale has to say in the morning.

sunday 12-20-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kettleboy (Post 16146099)
Best laid plans....

So about 1000 kcal of pots, unfortunately this just opened the flood gates! So after 48 hours of nothing, 2 hours of everything, will be interested in what the scale has to say in the morning.

So glad that you take time to report this info to us. I am very interested in knowing as well. Also, according to many of the men who IF, they do the same one day on and the rest of the weekdays maintaining. It seems to work for them.

Kettleboy 12-21-2012 01:16 AM

195 this morning, so bounced back 1.5, but overall down 3.

Now I'll eat freely until 27th, which i suspect will cost me 8 lbs, then I'll do another 48 hrs and see if I can drop the 8 (or what ever it is) in one cycle?

My only concern is the pyschology of gaining 8 ish pounds and trying to lose again.

The experiment continues, but no stress...

sunday 12-21-2012 05:00 AM

Do you really gain 8 with free eating? Doesn't seem right to me. :annoyed:

adillenal 12-21-2012 05:57 AM

I can easily bounce up 6-8 pounds with only one day of wild eating. I hold water at that point like a sponge. That is what I did not like about LC. One day off and I was up that much and then I could not get it back off quickly. But with JUDDD a couple of DD's and I am back to busniess.

sunday 12-21-2012 06:10 AM

I think it sounds painful to bounce that high in one day. Now, that I think about it, I guess a week of free eating could bring on 8 lbs.

I know that after thanksgiving supper with more carbs than I ever eat, I gained about 3 lbs and felt that was miserable. Could be that something is not right with my metabolism though?

gotsomeold 12-21-2012 05:44 PM

Ah Sunday, Kettle is a big KettleBoy who knows (a) his own metabolism, and (b) what he is going to eat and drink for the next six days. :hyst: Eight pounds may have been spoken optimistically. :rofl:

I look forward to hearing how high is the bounce and whether the subsequent fast clears it all away. Knowing we can always fall back on a few good DDs really allows us to take risks, doesn't it?

Kettleboy 12-22-2012 06:07 AM

Agreed, six days of free eating may be more than 8? We will see. I usually find the the bounce is big in the first two or three days, but then calms down to small daily gains. Which I think is due to my system becoming full of food adding to the weight with its accompanying water.
My other saving grace is I do intend to exercise daily while I'm off work, as I don't get the opportunity to do what I'd like on work days.

Kettleboy 12-27-2012 07:35 AM

So after 6 free days, I find myself up 8, which was my quesstimate before hand. So started fast last night after dinner, we will see if this can be reversed with one 48 hour fast? My gut feeling is no, I think -5 is probably best I cn hope for, but I will report....

LoCarbGal 12-27-2012 07:59 AM

I'm really looking forward to hearing how this goes, Kettleboy!

gotsomeold 12-27-2012 08:01 AM

Results will be interesting. I have lost a six pound post-:stars: bounce over two DDs (interspersed with one rational UD) several times. I am looking forward to seeing you melt!

sunday 12-27-2012 09:10 AM

Best wishes KB!

I started the tater hack yesterday and already feel much better. I was up over 3 lbs closer to 5, but I am pretty sure the wine & christmas cocktails may have done most of the damage. I am banned from drink until NYE. :laugh:

Kettleboy 12-28-2012 12:25 AM

36 hours in down 7, so to drop the whole 8 in 48 hours looks doable.

Don't feel good thou, my last 48 hour fast was energising, this time feel anxious/ depressed, and very lack lustre, perhaps that will improve with the day.

Also sleep was awful.

sunday 12-28-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kettleboy (Post 16156374)
36 hours in down 7, so to drop the whole 8 in 48 hours looks doable.

Don't feel good thou, my last 48 hour fast was energising, this time feel anxious/ depressed, and very lack lustre, perhaps that will improve with the day.

Also sleep was awful.

Sleep suffers a lot with fasting. I don't understand the non-energy & blah though?!? Hope to hear that you lost the whole 8. It has to be a lot of water to leave that fast. Correct?

Kettleboy 12-28-2012 08:21 AM

Yes mainly water, and glycogen loading from a depleted state.

As much as you cannot lose 8 lbs of fat in 48 hours, Equally you couldn't add 8 lbs of fat in 6 days either.

Carly 12-28-2012 08:24 AM

Hope you feel better soon! Congrats on losing the 7, though.

sunday 12-28-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kettleboy (Post 16156657)
Yes mainly water, and glycogen loading from a depleted state.

As much as you cannot lose 8 lbs of fat in 48 hours, Equally you couldn't add 8 lbs of fat in 6 days either.

I suspect that this is what the Christmas drinks does to me, as well. I still don't like it and wonder why I so easily slip into the celebration knowing that I am going to hold on to an extremely uncomfortable feeling even if it is just water. :annoyed:

Kettleboy 12-28-2012 10:49 AM

Don't usually weigh in the afternoon, but as the 48 hours are up and "breakfast" is in the oven...

194, so dropped 9.

I'm glad I stuck with it for the sake of learning about myself, but never again, would rather do a couple of 500kcal DD's which would yield the same results, but take longer.

I just hope I can keep a lid on it tonite, but I'm not too hopeful, this level of deprivation and feeling awful spells binge, but as long as I stay in the lower end of my maintenance range in e morning, it will be job done

LoCarbGal 12-28-2012 10:54 AM

Really impressive, Kettleboy! Both your sticking to the fast for 48 hours, and the 9 pound loss. I think I could force myself through a 48 hour total fast for a 9 pound loss. Of course, I'd want it all to be fat, and that's out of the question, so I guess I won't go there. Good to know for bloat issues though, or for emergency got-to-fit-into-something times.

gotsomeold 12-29-2012 04:29 AM

But that was not really a 9 pound loss. Wasn't that an abrupt (and apparently somewhat debilitating) purging of 1 pound of weight and 8 pounds of holiday cheer?

Fascinating experiment, KettleBoy. I am trying to really understand how x pounds of water and glycogen morph into added fat...every time I think I 'get', I reconsider and get confused. Your 48 hour fasts are giving me hints of what I am missing.

Especially the part about how the first fast - during a fairly normal rotation cycle - was relatively easy. But the second fast - after a period of celebration that caused a big bounce and probably involved some impressive insulin surges - was anything but pleasant. Hmmmmm........

Thank you for sharing this!!!

Kettleboy 12-29-2012 06:45 AM

Nancy, you r correct, it's a recovery protocol at best.

Last night turned in to a free for all as expected. This morning 197. So overall up 2

Having a high fibre DD today, so back to rotations to maintain.

I'm intending on trying to gain some muscle over the next 6 weeks, as having seen myself in the mirror over Xmas and realising my shoulders have disappeared! Can I can muscle in that specific location? And with out fat gain?

I have a plan......

gotsomeold 12-30-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kettleboy (Post 16158063)
I'm intending on trying to gain some muscle over the next 6 weeks, as having seen myself in the mirror over Xmas and realising my shoulders have disappeared! Can I can muscle in that specific location? And with out fat gain?

I have a plan......

Cheering you on!!!

LadyKT 01-22-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kettleboy (Post 16158063)
Nancy, you r correct, it's a recovery protocol at best.

Last night turned in to a free for all as expected. This morning 197. So overall up 2

Having a high fibre DD today, so back to rotations to maintain.

I have a plan......

Bumping...it's been about 3 weeks, so halfway right? How is it going KB?