Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!
 
deedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,516
Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Wait, wait I am not saying I agree with Dr. Phil. He sickens me. What I was saying is that I cannot hide my obesity behind makeup or clothing, and in that regard he was correct. The way he goes about his lecturing (ugh!) is both wrong and hurtful, IMHO.
I don't think anyone thought you did Lg! Some of us just have a really bad reaction to that man lol. I can completely relate to what you're feeling, though personally, the heavier I am the less motivated I feel to make myself look good at all. I think it's the same mentality that would make me finish off a bag of chips if I had one, because the whole day is a bust so why bother? When I'm heavy I feel like nothing can make me lookg good so why bother with makeup.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #32
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,318
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Not at all LG! I didn't think you meant that. I just had a visceral reaction to the thought that we shouldn't bother to make ourselves as attractive as we can.

After all, he has the right to shower and put on a nice suit, even though he's BALD!

I actually like bald men, but you know what I mean!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!
 
Kismet311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,920
Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Great thread, Librarygirl!
I really don't care for Dr. Phil at all. I work with a woman who would be considered obese. She is very pretty, has lovely hair, always made up, fashionable wardrobe, smells nice (bath and body works scents all the time). I think she would PUNCH him out if he ever said anything negative to her LOL
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
LOL, he is so full of himself. I don't care for his wife either. No reason, I just hate her smug, skinny ass.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!
 
Kismet311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,920
Gallery: Kismet311
Stats: 161/131/127
WOE: TOPS/Juddd
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
After all, he has the right to shower and put on a nice suit, even though he's BALD!

I actually like bald men, but you know what I mean!
I think he's extremely unattractive! He has some nerve talking about others' appearances!
Kismet311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member
 
JayLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 782
Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
LOL, he is so full of himself. I don't care for his wife either. No reason, I just hate her smug, skinny ass.


Those two are uppity egotistical wannabes who are where they are because of Oprah. What was she thinking? His brand of "psychotherapy" is exploitive and toxic and I wouldn't waste my time paying any mind to anything he has to say.

And back to the subject, for the most past I feel pretty darn good in my skin. I guess as I got older I realized this is me, and thats a good thing. While I don't like being fat, I don't hate it either. My biggest motivation for losing weight is avoiding high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and any thing else I can avoid by losing this weight and eating healthy food. Of course I like looking better, but its no longer my biggest goal. I take care of my appearance and think I'm just fine, inside and out.
__________________
♥♥♥Jan♥♥♥

"When a person has had too much to eat, fasting is the smartest thing he could do.” – Mark Sisson, Mark’s Daily Apple.

BElieve in
YOUrself!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #37
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,639
Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
All the flowery words in the world are not going to make me believe I look better or even ok, 70 lbs over my "normal" weight. If I was happy with the way I looked I wouldn't be here. Although I admire those who are "comfortable in their own skin" regardless of how they look, I am not one of those people. I cannot help that I am 48 years old, and I cannot help that I am caucasian, 5'4 and female. However, I can help that I have eaten myself into obesity, and that is not something to embrace or love about myself. I just wanted to express this because I felt bad about expressing some things about myself that I'm not happy about, and why not? I think if you want to change a behavior, or your body, you first have to be uncomfortable with it and designate it as a negative thing that is not taking you in the direction you want to go. Sorry if this is offensive or not lovey dovey, but I need some tough love!

ETA: I actually have gotten comfortable at being overweight, for far too long. I deluded myself into thinking I did look good, or ok, for someone who wasn't "ideal". Pictures prove otherwise. Very few people have had the guts to say anything to my face about my weight, but I do know that they are not oblivious to it. Just because people don't confront me or because I am unaware of what they say about me doesn't mean they don't notice. Sorry, this seems confrontational and it's not meant to be, but the fact is, I am extremely overweight and I can't hide from that fact. I am moving forward, embracing the new-found energy, loving fitting into my clothes better, enjoying looking healthier, but I cannot get complacent and decide it's ok to stop trying.
It took courage for you to write this. We do tend to work so hard to support each other wherever we are in the journey. And while I do believe in loving yourself wherever you are, that doesn't mean ignoring the truth. A good parent doesn't always say - "Oh, that's okay dear". We have to be our own good parent. If we practice dangerous habits, we will suffer. If we (I) don't do the work set before us, we (I) won't reap the benefits. Sometimes even when we do the work, we don't see the benefits for a long time. Not much instant gratification in the health catagory. As long as there is breath, I will keep on trying and hanging out with others who do the same. Glad you are here, too. Love your frankness.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Thank you cici. I needed to read this right now. I have been sipping on broth, but still had thoughts of eating something and this has given me the impetus to withstand the hunger a little longer. I think I will take a walk.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,391
Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Cindy~ I hope you enjoyed your walk!! I just got back in from one, myself after feeling absolutely guilt-ridden for the debauchery that was Christmas Day I can relate to so much of what you said in your original post, and I can honestly say I have spent much of my adult-life beating myself up pretty good about my weight and how much it ties into every aspect of my self-worth. It wasn't until this year that I have finally been able to mute the tape in my head that's played forever (thank's Mom!), and for awhile I thought yeah I am totally fine like this, I'd be okay if I never lost a thing. Ummmm, NO! While I have learned to accept my body like this, and acknowledge that I am a good person, and my weight does NOT define me as a human being....in the grand scheme of things...I do NOT like being over 200lbs. I want my outside to match the way I feel inside. I feel young at heart, getting ready for the 2nd chapter of my life to begin in a matter of a few years..and frankly, I wanna soar. I want to feel amazing through & through and that includes truly loving what I see in the mirror! Sometimes the frankness and the in-your-face just has to be said in order to get something going. At the same time, do be kind to yourself for your flaws, mistakes, and indiscretions. We are only human and we deserve to be treated with kindness, love, and respect. I'm right there with ya, ready to keep on trudging because I REFUSE to give up, I refuse to let this thing beat me anymore. I deserve more. You deserve more. We all deserve more. We rock!
__________________
Danielle

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥



"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member
 
JayLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 782
Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Danielle!!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Cindy~ I hope you enjoyed your walk!! I just got back in from one, myself after feeling absolutely guilt-ridden for the debauchery that was Christmas Day I can relate to so much of what you said in your original post, and I can honestly say I have spent much of my adult-life beating myself up pretty good about my weight and how much it ties into every aspect of my self-worth. It wasn't until this year that I have finally been able to mute the tape in my head that's played forever (thank's Mom!), and for awhile I thought yeah I am totally fine like this, I'd be okay if I never lost a thing. Ummmm, NO! While I have learned to accept my body like this, and acknowledge that I am a good person, and my weight does NOT define me as a human being....in the grand scheme of things...I do NOT like being over 200lbs. I want my outside to match the way I feel inside. I feel young at heart, getting ready for the 2nd chapter of my life to begin in a matter of a few years..and frankly, I wanna soar. I want to feel amazing through & through and that includes truly loving what I see in the mirror! Sometimes the frankness and the in-your-face just has to be said in order to get something going. At the same time, do be kind to yourself for your flaws, mistakes, and indiscretions. We are only human and we deserve to be treated with kindness, love, and respect. I'm right there with ya, ready to keep on trudging because I REFUSE to give up, I refuse to let this thing beat me anymore. I deserve more. You deserve more. We all deserve more. We rock!
I love the way you put it, Danielle. You said exactly what I meant to say, but better. It's true that we are all worthy of love, respect and all the positive things in life no matter what size we are, that's a given. However, as I began to despair in ever losing weight, I began to also decide I was happy with the way I was and to hell with anyone who didn't like it. Really, I was the one who didn't like it the most. Now, I feel some hope that I might finally be able to get slimmer and yes, have what I feel inside reflected on the outside. Getting older doesn't have to mean getting/staying fat.
__________________


"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."


"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,391
Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I love the way you put it, Danielle. You said exactly what I meant to say, but better. It's true that we are all worthy of love, respect and all the positive things in life no matter what size we are, that's a given. However, as I began to despair in ever losing weight, I began to also decide I was happy with the way I was and to hell with anyone who didn't like it. Really, I was the one who didn't like it the most. Now, I feel some hope that I might finally be able to get slimmer and yes, have what I feel inside reflected on the outside. Getting older doesn't have to mean getting/staying fat.
I get it, I really do! It became confusing to me to accepting myself as I am.... If I accept myself this size, does that mean I don't care about myself? Does that mean I've given up? Does that mean I took the easy way out? Do I not care?......so many questions! The answer is; I do care, I don't quit anything, and I don't know the meaning of the word, easy. I just finally like ME.

I've come to the conclusion that I really DON'T care what anyone thinks In fact, I'm determined to outshine all the people who think I can't do it...(and there are many)... I will do this my way, in my own time, and on my terms.

Getting older most certainly does NOT mean getting/staying fat!!!!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member
 
JayLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 782
Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Danielle, you are one smart cookie! Seems like a lot of us relate to what you are saying so well.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #44
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,391
Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Aw Jan, thanks! I found myself frustrated somewhat this semester with school..I took a weight management class and I met much resistance from my classmates regarding ideas about the obese, weight loss, and the things they "think" they know about fat people wanting to lose weight. The people in this class were all young, all looking for degrees in diatetics, to become trainers, physical therapists, etc... Me? I was in there because it seemed interesting and a fun way to learn about the way my body worked. I constantly challenged them on articles we had to read regarding diets and the subjects success/failure.. I had debates on whether people who are fat and fail at diets is it because they are lazy and don't want to work hard, or is it something else, or both? Made for some interesting subject matter, that's for sure! Of course, I was the only heavy person there and i was coming from a very personal place. It all created a very in-depth inner dialogue for myself in terms of what I want and how to get it, etc.
I've often thought that maybe I would want to be someone who counsels overweight people and their struggles to lose weight and everything that entails.. there isn't a specific market for this and was told I'd probably have a hard time getting a practice like this off the ground. I'm not entirely convinced whether my professor was telling me the truth or just jealous because I was onto something that she completely did not grasp? Maybe afraid I'd become more successful than her?
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Md
Posts: 351
Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
I've and while reading this thread. You folks are right on in your feelings about being overweight. I was the skinny kid growing up. My Dad's side of the family was very overweight and felt ashamed to be with them in public. Alone or in family gatherings, I was OK -- very selective I must say. And looking back - I should have had my bottom spanked!!

Not until I had my two kids did I ever have a weight problem - then I just ate and ate and ate - very emotional eating and a stay at home mom which didn't help. Plus living away from my family didn't help.

Like everyone here, finding JUDDD and all the wonderful, supportive folks will be so helpful to me/us. Freedom to be US

Arlene

edit: fixing some gram things!

Last edited by wildflower; 12-26-2012 at 04:17 PM..
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Another thing that pushed me to start this weight-loss journey was a picture. I mentioned pictures because many of us do not "see" ourselves as others do, until we see a 2-D photo. I usually just quickly look through the family photos that I am in and never return to them, if possible. Sometimes I have even never opened an email from family (my skinny sister, the shutterbug) that I know contains pics from a family gathering. This time I did and I looked at it hard. It was a picture of me and my siblings, all seven of us (I am the youngest), on Mother's Day. I had given up some bad habits a few months earlier and I felt like I looked pretty good...Nope, bigger than my 3 brothers even! (not all of them put together ) To me, I looked deformed. My small frame was not meant to carry all this weight. So, I started counting calories with a determination that quickly wanned because it was so difficult. Then I joined LCF after a few months of not really trying anything...came to the Dark Side (JUDDD), and the rest is history! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...............
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Flutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,376
Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Aw Jan, thanks! I found myself frustrated somewhat this semester with school..I took a weight management class and I met much resistance from my classmates regarding ideas about the obese, weight loss, and the things they "think" they know about fat people wanting to lose weight. The people in this class were all young, all looking for degrees in diatetics, to become trainers, physical therapists, etc... Me? I was in there because it seemed interesting and a fun way to learn about the way my body worked. I constantly challenged them on articles we had to read regarding diets and the subjects success/failure.. I had debates on whether people who are fat and fail at diets is it because they are lazy and don't want to work hard, or is it something else, or both? Made for some interesting subject matter, that's for sure! Of course, I was the only heavy person there and i was coming from a very personal place. It all created a very in-depth inner dialogue for myself in terms of what I want and how to get it, etc.
I've often thought that maybe I would want to be someone who counsels overweight people and their struggles to lose weight and everything that entails.. there isn't a specific market for this and was told I'd probably have a hard time getting a practice like this off the ground. I'm not entirely convinced whether my professor was telling me the truth or just jealous because I was onto something that she completely did not grasp? Maybe afraid I'd become more successful than her?
Coming from a social work persepective, I think you'd be a GREAT advocate for folks struggling with their weight and all the voices that go along with that journey. Don't listen to your prof! One of the first things I think about when struggling with something is, "I wonder which therapist around here specializes in this?". One of these days, I'll sign myself up and maybe finally get off the up & down weight rollercoaster! Go you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Another thing that pushed me to start this weight-loss journey was a picture. I mentioned pictures because many of us do not "see" ourselves as others do, until we see a 2-D photo. I usually just quickly look through the family photos that I am in and never return to them, if possible. Sometimes I have even never opened an email from family (my skinny sister, the shutterbug) that I know contains pics from a family gathering. This time I did and I looked at it hard. It was a picture of me and my siblings, all seven of us (I am the youngest), on Mother's Day. I had given up some bad habits a few months earlier and I felt like I looked pretty good...Nope, bigger than my 3 brothers even! (not all of them put together ) To me, I looked deformed. My small frame was not meant to carry all this weight. So, I started counting calories with a determination that quickly wanned because it was so difficult. Then I joined LCF after a few months of not really trying anything...came to the Dark Side (JUDDD), and the rest is history! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...............
There is no "thinking" involved, LG, you TOTALLY can! Yep, no question about it!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member
 
JayLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 782
Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
..came to the Dark Side (JUDDD), and the rest is history! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...............

i know you can know you can know you can! You know how I know? Because I can read in every one of your posts how badly you want it. Never lose that motivation and stick with us, LG. We're all going to do it together!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member
 
JayLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 782
Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
I've often thought that maybe I would want to be someone who counsels overweight people and their struggles to lose weight and everything that entails.. there isn't a specific market for this and was told I'd probably have a hard time getting a practice like this off the ground. I'm not entirely convinced whether my professor was telling me the truth or just jealous because I was onto something that she completely did not grasp? Maybe afraid I'd become more successful than her?
I would be first in line to visit your practice. I have looked a lot in my area for a counselor who really understood weight issues. They have a ton of them for bulemics and anorexia, but none at least around here who work with weight loss and all the components of it. I have seen a couple therapists over the years, but felt their attitude was just stop eating for pete's sake....

Like someone said, don't listen to your prof. You are onto something!

My dream over the years is to have a spa geared to women who are working on weight, especially those with a lot to lose. There would be massage, mani's and pedi's, facials, gentle exercise classes, makeup and wardrobe etc. Everything the skinny girls pay big bucks for. My place would be affordable, and very welcoming, a fun place to be!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #50
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,318
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Wow, you guys and this thread are so inspiring!

Danielle, I think you're really gutsy to attend that class and deal with all the misinformation and wrong headed attitudes. For so many years I've been so frustrated with the food pyramid, the thought that a calorie is a calorie, that all bodies work exactly the same and "if I can be thin why can't you?" I'm really proud of you for speaking your mind. And while you may have only seen and heard resistance in that class, you may have planted ideas that will grow and develop in some of them. I think your idea of counseling is a great one, and of course you were discouraged. That is half of what formal education tries to do - hammer you into a circle so you can fit through the round hole they have built. People who think outside the box are usually the ones with wild successes!

Jan, I love your idea for a spa. Great, great, great idea! I'm hearing a radio advertisement lately for a gym for overweight people. I think you need to be at least 50 pounds overweight to join. The DJ who was talking about it was joking about what happens when you lose weight - do they kick you out? I chuckled and then thought about how pi$$ed I would be if I owned that business and had paid good advertising money for that spot and then the DJ mocked it. Hmmmm....
__________________
~~~LCG aka Carol~~~

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Librarygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 8,992
Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I've got an idea for the name of the spa, Jaylynn: The Phat Farm.

I'll have a small library within, and Danielle can do counselling.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-27-2012 at 07:07 AM..
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,639
Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Another thing that pushed me to start this weight-loss journey was a picture. I mentioned pictures because many of us do not "see" ourselves as others do, until we see a 2-D photo. I usually just quickly look through the family photos that I am in and never return to them, if possible. Sometimes I have even never opened an email from family (my skinny sister, the shutterbug) that I know contains pics from a family gathering. This time I did and I looked at it hard. It was a picture of me and my siblings, all seven of us (I am the youngest), on Mother's Day. I had given up some bad habits a few months earlier and I felt like I looked pretty good...Nope, bigger than my 3 brothers even! (not all of them put together ) To me, I looked deformed. My small frame was not meant to carry all this weight. So, I started counting calories with a determination that quickly wanned because it was so difficult. Then I joined LCF after a few months of not really trying anything...came to the Dark Side (JUDDD), and the rest is history! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...............
So well put. Identified with every word. Where I was in my before photo and even again this summer in my daughter's wedding photos (I'm sure the photographer must have used a wide angle lens. No?)
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #53
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,391
Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Aw you girls are so sweet! What a wonderful way to "wake up" this morning!

Jan~LOVE the idea for your spa and I think it would be very successful. Tell me where do I sign up, please!

LCG~It was a frustrating few months. I coulda been mom to pretty much everyone in there, and the ones I couldn't, well, they were uber thin and very set in their thinking. I explained to the wannabe trainers that I had been to a trainer and he wanted to put me on a 1200 cal. low fat diet and required me to workout 6 days a week for a minimum of 2 hrs... all this did was serve to frustrate me, exhaust me, and for me to injure my hamstring from overuse. I told them he took nothing into account of my past history with weight loss, asked nothing about health issues, etc. and all I did was GAIN on his plan. I said, if you're sitting in this classroom expecting to dole out advice about the only way to lose weight (your way) to someone who's struggled for a lifetime and tell them to "try harder" or assume they're lazy, you'll never see success in your overweight clientele until you understand WHY someone got fat in the first place. It frustrates me to no end that so many people have such preconceived notions as to the idea of the overweight, and then when one is TELLING them they ignore it, refuse to accept it, or try to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. But I digress......

OH! We had a 10wk project where we had to track 10wks worth of food, exercise & measurements and then had to write about our exerience. At the time I was doing Atkins, so you can only imagine how beautiful my graphs looked for fat/carbs/protein! She absolutely loved my project but also commented that I did an "extreme, unrealistic diet" that wasn't going to be sustainable in the long-run. All that after I had gone into great details as to WHY I chose lc in the first place....insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, etc.. Just absolutely blown away. Even the book we used talked some about these things and how low carb plans were best at helping..
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,391
Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Another thing that pushed me to start this weight-loss journey was a picture. I mentioned pictures because many of us do not "see" ourselves as others do, until we see a 2-D photo. I usually just quickly look through the family photos that I am in and never return to them, if possible. Sometimes I have even never opened an email from family (my skinny sister, the shutterbug) that I know contains pics from a family gathering. This time I did and I looked at it hard. It was a picture of me and my siblings, all seven of us (I am the youngest), on Mother's Day. I had given up some bad habits a few months earlier and I felt like I looked pretty good...Nope, bigger than my 3 brothers even! (not all of them put together ) To me, I looked deformed. My small frame was not meant to carry all this weight. So, I started counting calories with a determination that quickly wanned because it was so difficult. Then I joined LCF after a few months of not really trying anything...came to the Dark Side (JUDDD), and the rest is history! I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...............
I can relate to the picture thing SO well. I am the oldest of 4 girls...while we are rather spread out in age, that girly competition thing still doesn't fade and of course through everything i've always compared myself to them... I have always been the biggest one. The one sis who is right under me is overweight and the 2 youngest are thin..especially my 30 yo sister..like, perfect thin.. Anyways, the 1 sis who is heavy also, we would go visit and I'd see her and think, wow she's gained alot (I have lived far away from home for years) since I last saw her..thinking that I wasn't *that* big... UM, WRONG! Pictures would be taken, and once again I would be mortified at how large I looked when I always would be feelin pretty darn good about myself. Now I am estranged from my family going on several years now so I have no idea what she looks like, nor do I have to worry about being the biggest sister anymore ..... but yeah, I dread pictures but having kids I suck it up and make sure to take them, espeically with my kiddos because I do not want them missing out on visual history of our family, KWIM? It's hard though!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member
 
JayLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 782
Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCarbGal View Post
Wow, you guys and this thread are so inspiring!



Jan, I love your idea for a spa. Great, great, great idea! I'm hearing a radio advertisement lately for a gym for overweight people. I think you need to be at least 50 pounds overweight to join. The DJ who was talking about it was joking about what happens when you lose weight - do they kick you out? I chuckled and then thought about how pi$ I would be if I owned that business and had paid good advertising money for that spot and then the DJ mocked it. Hmmmm....
Thanks, LCG. I've heard ads for those kinds of gyms too. My place would be kind of a gym, but emphasis would be on pampering the ladies and having fun. Maybe include a snack bar with only LC food. I need an investor! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I've got an idea for the name of the spa, Jaylynn: The Phat Farm.

I'll have a small library within, and Danielle can do counselling.
Okay, we will include the library and counseling...anyone else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
Aw you girls are so sweet! What a wonderful way to "wake up" this morning!

Jan~LOVE the idea for your spa and I think it would be very successful. Tell me where do I sign up, please!

LCG~It was a frustrating few months. I coulda been mom to pretty much everyone in there, and the ones I couldn't, well, they were uber thin and very set in their thinking. I explained to the wannabe trainers that I had been to a trainer and he wanted to put me on a 1200 cal. low fat diet and required me to workout 6 days a week for a minimum of 2 hrs... all this did was serve to frustrate me, exhaust me, and for me to injure my hamstring from overuse. I told them he took nothing into account of my past history with weight loss, asked nothing about health issues, etc. and all I did was GAIN on his plan. I said, if you're sitting in this classroom expecting to dole out advice about the only way to lose weight (your way) to someone who's struggled for a lifetime and tell them to "try harder" or assume they're lazy, you'll never see success in your overweight clientele until you understand WHY someone got fat in the first place. It frustrates me to no end that so many people have such preconceived notions as to the idea of the overweight, and then when one is TELLING them they ignore it, refuse to accept it, or try to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. But I digress......

OH! We had a 10wk project where we had to track 10wks worth of food, exercise & measurements and then had to write about our exerience. At the time I was doing Atkins, so you can only imagine how beautiful my graphs looked for fat/carbs/protein! She absolutely loved my project but also commented that I did an "extreme, unrealistic diet" that wasn't going to be sustainable in the long-run. All that after I had gone into great details as to WHY I chose lc in the first place....insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, etc.. Just absolutely blown away. Even the book we used talked some about these things and how low carb plans were best at helping..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
I can relate to the picture thing SO well. I am the oldest of 4 girls...while we are rather spread out in age, that girly competition thing still doesn't fade and of course through everything i've always compared myself to them... I have always been the biggest one. The one sis who is right under me is overweight and the 2 youngest are thin..especially my 30 yo sister..like, perfect thin.. Anyways, the 1 sis who is heavy also, we would go visit and I'd see her and think, wow she's gained alot (I have lived far away from home for years) since I last saw her..thinking that I wasn't *that* big... UM, WRONG! Pictures would be taken, and once again I would be mortified at how large I looked when I always would be feelin pretty darn good about myself. Now I am estranged from my family going on several years now so I have no idea what she looks like, nor do I have to worry about being the biggest sister anymore ..... but yeah, I dread pictures but having kids I suck it up and make sure to take them, espeically with my kiddos because I do not want them missing out on visual history of our family, KWIM? It's hard though!

Danielle, sign here: ____________________________ LOL

I'm so proud of you for making your point of view be known in that class. This world is so blindsided by what good nutrition and health should look like and how it should be accomplished. Phhooey on them for being so closed minded. We know better.

I had two sisters who were thin and I was the fat one. The one closest in age to me died 7 years ago in an accident. I probably should have been a better sister but was jealous. Oh how we come to see things differently as we get older. The younger sister is very pretty and slim but she is dumb as a marble. sorry. but she is. Oh geez, there I go again...

Anyway, I got over "the looks" part of being overweight a long time ago. I wasted so much energy and effort thinking I wasn't good enough. Or pretty enough, or slim enough yadda yadda yadda. I'd rather put my time and energy into doing something about it. The emotions of overweight are very complex. Danielle, you'd be a great counselor on this subject. There aren't very many out there.

I'm rambling again. I'm just so happy to have a place to share these feelings and know others can relate. I love you guys!!
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!
 
DesertGurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 7,391
Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Jan~I'll tell you what, though! I had the most weight lost for that 10 week project.. of course I was the only one who was doing it on myself LOL...everyone else had a 'subject' or a client.. Funnily enough we get to talking about menus and mine had chicken with the skin on, veggies with cheese, avocados, bacon, sausage, ...... and I had weight loss, inches lost, better energy, and clearer thinking. So there!
I had even brought in articles regarding Atkins and how its being realized that lc is actually a good plan for good health and weight loss...not one person spoke up about it. Not one. Makes me sad. These are the kinds of people that are perpetuating the crazy, unrealistic ideals that hold my daughters captive and worrying about their bodies.

Ugh, I could go on and on and on....

Frankly, I dunno if I have it in me to pursuing a psych degree in order to make this a reality, on top of a degree in diatetics/nutrition....

I had to giggle about the marbles sorry! I guess maybe it's in relief to know that I'm not the only one!
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!
 
LoCarbGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 9,318
Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
I had a personal trainer a few years ago who specialized in high intensity, muscle failure type exercises. I wasn't LCing at first when I started with him, but I told him I had had great success with it a few years prior and was going to start again. He gave me the old song and dance, and was very specifically against any kind of dairy - said that humans are the only species that drinks milk past childhood, and drinks the milk of other species to boot, it's just not natural, blah, blah, blah. I told him I would start Atkins Induction and bet him that I could lose 5 pounds by the time I saw him in a week, and would continue to lose effectively thereafter. Eating red meat, cheese, butter, etc. He said you're on.

Guess who won that bet....

He was floored, and actually opened his mind by the time I quit going to him.

Fun.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member
 
jaymar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: central florida
Posts: 450
Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
What a great thread this is...I've really learned some things reading it..and you are so right about the mentality of most people about how to lose weight..to me, the food pyramid is the biggest joke...whole grains...well...maybe they are ok for some people..but a lot of people are gluten intolerant and don't even know it...exercise is good , sure..but I have never seen anyone who exercised like crazy and stopped that didn't gain a ton of weight..my husband used to run from 5 to 8 miles a day...well..as he got older...he couldn't do it because of his ankles and knees...so..now he's about 60 lbs overweight with no hope of getting it off...he won't listen to my ideas and so I'm not going to fight with him..maybe after I have enough success, he will see something. he and my daughter think you can only lose weight by starving and exercising...I'd rather be shot than to ever go that route again..people can do as they please, but if I didn't have an open mind, I wouldn't have ever tried Juddd, ..I am so glad I did.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member
 
JayLynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 782
Gallery: JayLynn
Stats: 5'7" 330/236/199 first goal
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: A new start 1/1/14
Danielle, wow even when they saw it firsthand they still had no interest in the LC way. People are very set in their ways when it comes to food. There is a whole mentality out there of low fat and "healthy" carbs. Might work for some, but I'm glad I have found what WORKS FOR ME.

LCG good for you showing the trainer that LC does work. I think some "professionals" are starting to come around, but not enough. Personally I don't care what the docs or nutritionists preach. I am in charge of my body and its taken a lot of experience and trial and error to figure out LC and JUDDD really do rock!

Jaymar, when I first learned of JUDDD I thought NO WAY can I go without eating (much) every other day! Thats just crazy! But I was stalled really bad after losing 70 lbs LCing and really wanted to find what was missing. Then I read a lot and decided to give it a try. Even though I slacked off on rotations the week before xmas I am back with it now and I'm so glad.

I don't preach my new lifestyle to anyone. If they ask, I tell them. I sure wish it worked both ways. I think Leave me alone already! This is working and I am happy! Though I must say no one really tries to tell me my WOE is unhealthy, they jsut try and get me to eat stuff I don't want! Thank goodness the worst is over...(xmas) lol
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member
 
jaymar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: central florida
Posts: 450
Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Jan, you have a very healthy attitude toward how to take care of yourself...and I have to say...in today's world to see the "other" side taking that all or nothing attitude about what is healthy and what is not, just makes me nuts...I was made aware of how a lot of Drs and people look at things when I came close to being called diabetic...if I can make sense here, bear with me..people that I know were told...take your pills or insulin...I would tell some,..well, maybe if you cut back on the carbs, your BS might come down?..I was told many times...Oh..I can have bread and carbs if I take my medicine......so..what does that tell you?
I'm not saying Im a medical expert..no...or trying to tell anyone what to do if they are diabetic..But..after the Dr put "diabetic" on my chart..I did change the way that I ate....I cut out unhealthy carbs..bread included..and ate lots of fruits..veggies..lean meats and some types of beans..well...long story short..after a year of having good numbers, the Dr said...well..I guess I will have to take diabetic off your chart...and so it's been....I still needed to lose weight, and could not have any success until Juddd...for me, it was easier to try and attempt to help my condition than to take the pills or shots...I know everyone cannot do that..I was trying to show that in my own mind, I believed that the carbs had something to do with the high blood sugar for me.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.