Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
24 Weeks (6 Months) on JUDDD -- Lose a Little More by XMas

Today I weighed in at 256 lbs, a loss of 1 lb total this week and 34 lbs total, 30 lbs of which were on JUDDD at a rate of 1.25 lbs a week.

Like everyone else, I'm staring down the barrel of the holidays. Mine will start this Sunday as everyone on both sides of the family will be feasting at my house and, in some cases, sleeping at my house for the week. I foresee 7-10 days of orgiastic eating in my near future and I am not even going to kid myself that DDs will be possible, so I'm going to count it as a vacation. I also foresee a 6-10lb gain. So I'm bracing myself.

And here are my strategies:

1) I'm going to buckle down and lose as much weight between now and Sunday as I can so that I have a margin for error. Potato hack is back.
2) When my in-laws arrive, I am going off rotations until after Christmas

I foresee some hellacious recovery Down Days in my future, but I feel pretty confident that I'm not going to fall off the wagon. I'm just going to drag my feet behind it a little bit.

As always here are the upsides and downsides of my week.

Downsides

Shaken Confidence. You'll notice that I said I was pretty confident that I wouldn't fall off the wagon. A few weeks ago I would have said I was certain. What's the reason for my jitters? My Down Days have been great, but my Up Days remain wildly out of control. At first it was because I wasn't counting and because I had lots of social events. But the last two Up Days, I actually made a concerted effort to stay at my numbers and I failed spectacularly both times because I wasn't prepared to fight hunger on an Up Day. It alarms me how many calories seem to be needed to make me feel satisfied at the moment. I'm going to blame it on TOM but it startled me. It's almost like my body has figured out the pattern of eating and has decided to come up with a new coping mechanism to get around the calorie deficit. I'm a tiny bit scared that getting back down to reasonable numbers might be a challenge.

I'm Spoiled Now. Seriously, JUDDD may have ruined me for all other diets. The ability to suffer deprivation only one day at a time may have totally destroyed my tolerance for longer bouts of deprivation. The first time I tried the potato hack, for example, I ran screaming after the second day. I can do anything for one day. But for three days? Now that seems like FOREVER. And my inner rebel resents it. "Hey, we have a deal. Feast one day. Famine the next. Mess with my feast at your peril."

Upsides

Need New Clothes. This is an exciting upside. It's also a little bit of a downside because I don't have time to go clothes shopping at the moment and I have no idea what size I am. What I do know is that all my pants are too small and I'm holding everything on me with safety pins.

It's a Christmas Miracle. I lost another pound without seriously trying! This week, I ate salami, red velvet cake, eggplant sandwiches, reuben dip and a Wendy's Son of Baconater. Get out of town! So, what I've learned here is that if I seriously only diet every other day, I will still lose weight, albeit very slowly. And if I diet hard one day and count my calories and eat in a healthy reasonable way the next, I will lose a lot more. Never before in my entire life have I lost any weight during the holiday season. This is ridiculous!

Happy Holidays JUDDD BUDDDs--especially my secret santa who sent me the coolest little booklet of stickies and magnets. Next time we talk, I'll be all bent out of shape by holiday bloat. Until then, I plan to enjoy it.

Last edited by stephdray; 12-19-2012 at 02:39 PM..
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Another pound with hardly any effort!

Enjoy your holidays and family and food, and jump right back into rotations when it's over.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Steph,

You have come so far from the days of not being able to function on DDs and being pained by hunger pangs that I know the new year will find you full of confidence to continue JUDDDing full force. You have learned a lot about yourself in this process and you have eloquently written about it so that others can benefit. So with that... I wish you and your family the happiest and healthiest holiday season- full of scrumptious food!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I, along with everyone else will look forward to your continuing saga in the new year. Enjoy all of your family and the celebrations that go on with them.

Next year will see even less of all of us weight wise. Isn't it exciting to know we can enjoy the holidays and have a specific plan to recover in a short time if needed.

Merry Christmas............
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Congrats on another pound lost. Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephdray View Post
Wendy's Son of Baconater.
This totally cracked me up.
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Another fabulous post, Steph! I agree about getting spoiled from other diets. Low fat I can handle, but low carb - way too restrictive for this former vegan. I still love my fruit and vegetables - thought I was gonna die on low carb. Besides, low fat doesn't work for me, tried that for over three decades.

JUDDD is a miracle! I'm eating food that has been on my black list for decades and still losing or not gaining. Seriously digging this every other day deprivation.

I started JUDDD two months after you and I'm also experiencing the overeating on UD's, have started to go back to more low calorie food so I can eat more.

Enjoy your time off from dieting!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Steph, how exciting that you're still losing! Who cares if it's slow, if you're barely trying! I'm sure you'll have a good week and get a head start on all of it. Sounds like you'll be a busy girl! And the safety pins......oh yeah, I'm right there with you! Have a wonderful holiday with your family!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: calichris
Stats: 273.7/204.8/147 or size 8/10
WOE: IF/IE
Start Date: 5/26/12; JUDDD 7/11/12
Quote:
1) I'm going to buckle down and lose as much weight between now and Sunday as I can so that I have a margin for error. Potato hack is back.
Steph, first of all, your whole post makes me smile. I love the effortless one-more-pound-gone and your planful realism about the holidays.

I'll be interested to see how you do with the potato hack, because I had the same reaction you did in day two. (two days seems like forever ) Then after it was over I lost a little of my former feeling of control because I had felt deprived ... after only three days! Not everyone has that reaction though I think.
calichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Steph, congratulations. A pound down is fabulous.
Do you wonder if your crazy UUADs are a phase, like your painful DDs were a phase? Just curious about your thoughts on that.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Wow, Steph! 34 pounds gone. Awesome!

We used to talk a lot about "pants on the ground" syndrome around here. Sounds like you are experiencing it! Time to get rid of those safety pins and buy some new pants! Oh, such a terrible problem for a JUDD BUDD to have!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Today I weighed in at 256 lbs, a loss of 1 lb total this week and 34 lbs total, 30 lbs of which were on JUDDD at a rate of 1.25 lbs a week.

Like everyone else, I'm staring down the barrel of the holidays. Mine will start this Sunday as everyone on both sides of the family will be feasting at my house and, in some cases, sleeping at my house for the week. I foresee 7-10 days of orgiastic eating in my near future and I am not even going to kid myself that DDs will be possible, so I'm going to count it as a vacation. I also foresee a 6-10lb gain. So I'm bracing myself.

And here are my strategies:

I foresee some hellacious recovery Down Days in my future, but I feel pretty confident that I'm not going to fall off the wagon. I'm just going to drag my feet behind it a little bit.

As always here are the upsides and downsides of my week.

So, what I've learned here is that if I seriously only diet every other day, I will still lose weight, albeit very slowly. And if I diet hard one day and count my calories and eat in a healthy reasonable way the next, I will lose a lot more. Never before in my entire life have I lost any weight during the holiday season. This is ridiculous!
Yay for the hack! I did the tater hack for 4 days & lost 5 lbs this week. I even had one glass of wine somewhere in the midst.

I think the realization that you are never going back to where you were; has so much to do with enjoying JUDDD than anything else that I can gain from this WOE.

Steph, I hope you know how much reading your words has helped many other JUDDD budds discover these little nuggets of JUDDD wisdom!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GrannyPants
Stats: Weigh 2 much Age 53
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: June 19 2012
Quote:
It's almost like my body has figured out the pattern of eating and has decided to come up with a new coping mechanism to get around the calorie deficit. I'm a tiny bit scared that getting back down to reasonable numbers might be a challenge.
Yep, I've been wondering the same...
GrannyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Go with it Steph! I think many of us are in the same boat-- my DDs have gotten a bit slack (like a MD this week) and my UDs still involve leftovers from my brunch last sunday (read: cinnamon rolls).

I know that I can do it-- my DDs lately are pretty good, actually (the eating is a choice) so I *know* that after the holidays, I can rock the DDs and the UDs and see some loss.

yes, we'll have some bloat and actual gain from foodtasticness in the coming week and a bit.

And we can enjoy it, b/c nothing is "never again", just "not every day, and not quite in this amount". But for now, enjoy the family and friends, and if you feel like having a salad, go for it
or not.

And if you want my cinnamon roll recipe, PM me or FB, b/c WOOO it's crazy easy and tastes amazing (read: start with pizza dough store bought).

Oy, rambling again and it's not even DD-caffeine related!

S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Soren, I'd like that recipe. Christmas morning. Sounds fantastic.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Speaking from vast personal experience, my body knows when a food adventure is coming (shut up subconscious mind!) a week or more before the party actually starts. And it starts demanding more food way before the event.

Three things I found helpful:
1) Take a taste. If the taste is not extraordinary, don't eat anymore of it. Eat something else that is delicious instead (or, if Auntie Sue made the meal, end up having an unexpected DD). Mindful eating may go up-up-and-away, but I have never been dragged down by guilt or regret at the end of that day.

2) Whenever possible I change to a Fast 5 style of eating - try to have one big meal and very little else. Some days this does not happen of course. But, for me, anytime I can keep it low seems to help overall.

3) Schedule the return to rotation thoughtfully. I don't plan my first return to normal DD for a day I am likely to be invited to an unexpected party, or traveling, or dealing with feeding leftovers to a starving hoard. I plan my first 'the party is over' DD for a day I know I can be successful. Usually by then, my body is demanding a low-cal, low-food day.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, will send to Kristin and Seabreezes. Let me know if anyone else wants it, crazy easy!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
me, me, me please. I see cinnamon rolls in my future.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

coming atcha!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
Yes, please!
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sent!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #21

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Me too. Might have been easier just to post it.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Seriously. Ok, I'll post it and link back

ok, here we go. Sorry Steph for the threadjack! (but seriously, these are great )

Pizza Dough Cinnamon Rolls

Last edited by sorenkkg; 12-21-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
OMG, those sound good! I've printed the recipe and will look forward to treating loved ones on an UD!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:53 PM   #24

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Not a British thing, .
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's pretty tasty though Cindy-- maybe if we call it a sticky bun, would that be more British? A treacle roll?

What's the breed on your lovely cat? She looks positively outdoorsy!