Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Let me start by saying that I grew up in a very conservative religious home & fasting was (& still is) an important religious ritual.

I don't "get" some of the posts about DD difficulties &/or new "low" DD levels. For those who didn't grow up in fasting homes, is it truly that difficult to start fasting? Is it a physical or mental difficulty? (Since your fast is not for religious reasons, I won't ask about spiritual difficulty.) I realize that every other day fasting is different than the once or twice a week I grew up with. I've been thinking about resuming a weekly fast for spiritual reasons & that lead me to reading some of the posts in this section. Thanks for your patience & your indulgence.
I never fasted a day in my life before starting JUDDD.

For me, it was incredibly hard--more physically than mentally in the beginning. On my first DD, my head hurt and hunger pains were accompanied by sharp cramps and burning in my stomach that crowded out all other thoughts to the point that I was shaking.

Mint tea seemed to be the only thing that helped at all. It was, for me, truly awful. The day ticked by so slowly I couldn't wait for it to be over. Pretty much, every moment, I was thinking of food or how miserable I was.

It was only a little less awful the second time. The third time started to get better because I started taking aspirin on DDs--a thing I no longer do.

Now that I've been fasting or near-fasting for five months, hunger is a totally different animal. I still occasionally get the mental craving of wanting to eat, but that's easily triumphed over by a reminder that whatever I want, I can have tomorrow. There are also irritating little waves of hunger that will occasionally distract me from concentrating, but it's usually not a big deal.

I'm pretty hungry today, for example, but it's an annoyance rather than something that is consuming my whole life. I can ignore it for hours and hours at a time. I'll go to bed tonight comfortably under my DD limit and it'll be just fine.

I suspect that the regulation of my hunger hormones have gone under massive transformation in the past few months and I'm really grateful for that. But I don't want anyone going around thinking that if they are truly miserable for the first few days of JUDDD that there's something wrong or weird about them or that they don't have what it takes.

This can be really tough. It's just that when you get past the tough part, it's pretty amazingly wonderful.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
I see the person asking about fasting? Read my lowest calorie day doing this juddd woe.
I feel imbarrised that I wrote of my low calories that day.
I wasn't bragging.
Just talking with friends.
No I dont fast, person from Alabama, Earth?
Terri
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet10 View Post
That's a gorgeous picture! (Love the way the hair is flying and you look so carefree!)
Thank you!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I love that photo as well. How happily, carefree PJ!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Yeah, I love that photo, too.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
For me, it's Bloodsugar that's the issue. That is the hardest part. I have had hypoglycemia my whole life. I struggle and make sure whatever I eat on DD's will not trigger major BS issues. Some DD's are a breeze. I barely notice. Then others, I know it from the moment I wake (weekdays that's at 4:45). Most DD's are managable. I will state, I never ever prefer a DD. For me, I just don't think that will happen. Mental plays into it too. During the week, at work, if I am too hungry, I cannot concentrate at all!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...rt-2-a-13.html
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
PJ, yes, that picture is fantastic. I have this mental image of you, always with arms up and dancing through life! I have the feeling you might actually sit down every now and then, but that's not how I picture you!

I've never done any kind of fasting before JUDDD. Grew up believers, but not regular church goers after early childhood. The only time I may have ever not eaten for a whole day was probably when sick. This has been a challenge, to adjust to EOD caloric restriction. I've not done a complete fast on a DD yet, and I may not ever try. I just have this feeling my body might try to go into starvation mode and it will backfire on me.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thanks again, y'all!

Btw, all the things I described...my eating may have been disordered when I was a child,
but I think I ate pretty normally as soon as I got out on my own.
What really changed my body was having a baby, and (years later) going on antidepressants.

(Although, being a vegetarian and eating SO many carbs--
I was always exhausted, and over-emotional!!!)
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
YES Jenny I love your PICTURE.
Cool!
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
It's a lovely picture, Jenny.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Love the picture too, Jenny. You look like a teenager at first glance, but I see that you are much younger in the pic. I was thin too, but I never thought much about it. I guess I took it for granted. Never again, lol.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dansamy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/11/2012
Oh boy! Am I ever "eating my words"! (Since that's all I can keep down anyway!)

I've been sick ever since Sunday. I literally, since Sunday, have had exactly 2 bowls of soup, 2 polish sausages, half an order of fries, 2 chicken tenders, one Atkins bar and one Atkins shake. And a heck of a lot of cough drops. I haven't bothered tracking anything. Not my carbs, not calories, exercise? HA! Does coughing so much my back hurts count as exercise? Apparently, I spent Sunday in some delirious fugue state because I managed to lose my one "good" bra that I wear for work. I have no idea where it is.

What's really very strange is that my stomach is growling and rumbling, but I mentally and physically have absolutely no desire to eat anything at all. It's not nausea. I'm not nauseated. Coughing and feverish, yes. But not nausea. Normally, even sick, I would tolerate some bland carby stuff.

Last edited by dansamy; 12-20-2012 at 12:17 AM..
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Oh, I'm so sorry you're sick, dansamy!

I had a fear of fasting when I started JUDDD... a fear of DD. I had anorexia and bulemia as a teen. It started with the kind of healthnut-religious fasting like PJ but we weren't vegetarians. I once ended such a fast with 5 candy bars and promptly threw up. One time my friends held me down in the cafeteria and force-fed me french fries until I broke my fast because I was fainting. It had gone from healthful fasting to anorexia almost in the blink of an eye, it was self-punishing, I got almost high off of not eating and feeling powerful. Then later, when I discovered I could eat *whatever* I wanted and just go upchuck it in the school bathroom, then I discovered true binging, also. (I am 50+ so there was no news about anorexia and bulemia or binging and purging, no afterschool specials or anything and I didn't know anyone who did either of those things at my whole school - I thought I was the only one!)

But even as a young girl, I would sneak eat, buying stuff at the store and eating it on the way home, and I remember times I would just HAVE to have something, anything to eat, and so would even eat uncooked spaghetti noodles, dry oatmeal, anything - really. So later in life, years later, I'm really heavy, when my church fasted at the beginning of every year, I couldn't do it. I was really afraid to bring that whole thing up again. After I lost weight using hcg and healed my hypoglycemia and (most of) my binging issues, I decided to try JUDDD, since I could do really super low calorie days and feel fine. I think now I have proven to myself that it won't trigger anorexia and bulemia again in me, (really, now, I absolutely HATE to throw up even when necessary) and I have what most here call JUDDD peace most of the down days.

I have yet to try a full-on fasting day doing JUDDD. I don't know if it's necessary. My adrenal issues really pop up worse if I don't eat protein right away in the morning. But I feel healthy and happy even if I have a little more weight to go, and JUDDD is an answer to me at this time.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain

Last edited by C'Marie; 12-20-2012 at 01:10 AM..
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #44
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
What really changed my body was having a baby
Oh yeah. That is what started my weight problem too. ALWAYS thin until 40 and DS appeared on the scene. Been fighting that battle for the past 23 years. BUT with JUDDD it looks like I have it under control and keep up the loss forever.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I have a hard time with fasting because I have a hard time with being hungry. Being on thyroid meds makes me ravenous and I hate it. I swear that's what it is. I've googled it and lots of other people seem to have the same issue. I actually just started taking my pill at night to try to qualm cravings. I used to take it at 6am and by 7-8am, I was RAVENOUS! It's hunger, combined with anxiety...really crazy feeling. I can't really describe it, but I feel like my stomach is going to burst out of my body if I don't eat everything I ever wanted at that moment. I hate it...really, really hate it. I'm working really hard on it. Reading a lot of books about emotional eating and eating right. I'm experimenting with different supplements and foods. So, yeah, fasting is HARD for me.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience and fears as a former anorexic and bulimic, C'Marie. I am also a former anorexic/bulimic, who spent ages 14-18 eating very little other than lettuce, boullion, watered down chicken soup, and sugarfree gum, with occasional protein like water-packed tuna and intermittent binges/purges, and years of staying about 25-30 pounds below a healthy weight (80-85 pounds at 5'3"). I was really afraid to start JUDDD, because I thought my down days would feel like my everyday anorexic days (always hungry, fatigued, cold, weak). I am also in my 50s, and I didn't know the terms anorexic/bulimic when I was living them. Fortunately, I find that I feel much better on down days than I had feared, now that I am overweight, eating healthier food, and only eating very low calories every other day. But I don't push myself to do foodless down days, doing liquid fasts, because I find extreme hunger uncomfortable, distracting, and reminiscent of unhappy days as a teenage anorexic. And it just doesn't seem necessary to achieve my goal of getting to a healthy weight and staying there. Ergo, fasting has both physical and emotional challenges for me.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
svenskamae, I was never, ever truly thin. I have a pretty meaty frame and stocky legs. Fortunately for me, I guess, the anorexia came in phases that were broken up by periods of feasting as well, plus I always had such a low metabolism literally I could eat next to nothing and never really lose much, I think my lowest weight in high school was in the 120-130's at 5'4.75, but mostly I was in the 140-150's. My first real "diet" as a freshman was liquid protein, that and only that for many many days, and then getting obsessive about counting calories and never ever going above 1000 (except for binges/purges) when I went to real food. Sometimes it just seemed simpler *not* to eat at all! I can't imagine what you went through with 4 years of that! I like lettuce and tuna but not ONLY that.

I wonder sometimes about going back to the liquid protein for DD but then again maybe not. I don't know if I could literally stomach the taste now or if it might cause me too many memories. I enjoy my coffee protein drinks in the morning on DD just fine

ps I'm just now brave enough to even think of those days much. I have a hard time realizing I *was* pretty, well-built, smart, sexy, and desirable, but it was at the time of Twiggy and I thought I was soooooo fat. Also I had a couple near rape scares and got my subconscious messed up, I guess, so after getting heavier and heavier, every time I would try to lose weight I would be so happy at the start but then would have absolutely HORRIBLE scary dreams about violence etc in that way, and then would start to sabotage myself. It was many years before I made the connection! doh! This last time, with hcg in 2010, the dreams started up again and I was like OH H3LL NO. One of my favorite sayings is, "A devil exposed is a devil defeated," and I have experienced going through that dream cycle again and NOT buckling. I was blessed to figure out to talk to myself in the conscious, use prayer, and be able to quiet the dreams and live with purpose in the NOW.

Last edited by C'Marie; 12-21-2012 at 02:28 AM..
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
C'Marie, you are inspiring. Everyone here is fighting personal demons - our minds get so messed up and entangled in our self-image and life experiences. May all of the old demons wither and blow away.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-21-2012 at 03:11 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #49
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't think it's very helpful (or wise) to criticize how anyone deals with DDs (as the OP seems to be doing). As this thread indicates, we all have individual physical needs and eating histories that often dictate how much 'fasting' we can tolerate or what 'fear' we bring to this plan.

Personally, I did JUDDD very strictly for 2 years to get to goal (previous 100 lbs was standard low carb)--never over on any DD--but I do best if I know I can eat throughout the day. Obviously, with DDs under 400 cals, I didn't eat much, but my body needed that regular fuel. I'm not diabetic, but all my siblings are, so this may be a blood sugar issue. I'm not sure, but I know what works best for me.

Three times during those 2 years, I fasted completely on my DDs, but it wasn't intentional. I just had no desire to eat on those days.

When I began JUDDD, I didn't believe that I could 'survive' on <500 cal a day, and the DD experience gave me a wonderful sense of control of my eating--for the first time in my life. THAT has been the most valuable lesson for my ongoing maintenance--almost 2 years now.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote