Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: (Pre-HCG 291)275.2/170.4/175 AT GOAL
WOE: 411(2005)/291(Jan. '12)/170(NOW) HCG/now JUDDD/LC
Start Date: LC~Jan. 20, 2012 hHCG~March 20, 2012
Artificial Sweetener Sensitivity...or something else?

Hi all~

I was trying to look up some info on AS use, but didn't find a whole lot.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed if they have encountered "stalling" while using AS. Normally, I am NOT sensitive (that I know of!) to them, but lately I have used quite a bit, mainly for sweetening up hot tea, making S/F lemonade, S/F PB cookies, S/F Jell-O and chocolate mug cakes. Of course, my whole body is kinda wonky...been on hHCG for the last 6 months prior...so it's still adjusting since quitting 3 weeks ago.

I'm not totally sure that AS is the culprit, either. I have dabbled with some carby foods, but not a ton...mainly low carb, with a few bites here & there of carbs. I am normally very carb-sensitive...hoping someday, my body will adapt to them. When I first started JUDDD 3 weeks ago, I did jump head-first into carbs, & I had a LOT of water retention, but it quickly left once I starting LC'ing...and I got down to a new low. I have NEVER gone over my calories for DD nor UD...I imagine though, that the calculated calories are too high for me. I'm gonna experiment w/ some lower numbers and see.

I seem to be stalling the last few days, and feel bloated a bit...kinda feeling "heavy"...hard to describe (not like the water retention I had a few weeks ago).

I have stopped using the AS today, and have been on strict LC DD & UD, yesterday & today. Hoping for losses in a few days

Looking for those who have some experiences/remedies to share.

Thanks!!!!

Angela in TX~170.4 lbs.
LDW=175.6
New goal----->170ish
Crazy PreK Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Angela, I wondered about that years ago when doing Atkins. I hit a stall and had cut everything out that I could except for diet sodas and splenda (or was it Equal I used back then?). Anyway, I tested my urine with ketostix before and after using the AS and didn't see any difference. Looking back, I think it was just a natural stall and not the sweetener, but who knows.

Within the past several years, I've really reduced my diet soda use. Not on purpose, I just all of a sudden didn't want it very much. This from the soda queen of all time (both sugared and diet). But in its place I started drinking LOTS of iced tea, sweetened with splenda. Then I realized that the powdered stuff actually has carbs, it's the filler they use. So I switched to liquid sucralose and have used that exclusively ever since. I've used Fiberfit, and really liked it, but lately I've been using Sweetzfree. It's extremely concentrated. For me, 10-12 drops sweetens a gallon of tea. It seems expensive for a tiny little bottle, but it lasts a really long time. I feel like I'm saving on calories and carbs by using the liquid.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Hi Angela--I did in fact stall, I'm 90 % sure, due to artificial sweetener issues while doing low carb--and I'm pretty convinced it's the KIND of a.s. you use that is crucial. I was using splenda and sweetzfree. I knocked it off, also knocked off low carb upon finding JUDDD, and am happily losing again after initial carb water weight gain. It prompted me to do a buttload of research into artificial sweeteners, and what I found was kinda horrifying. Aspartame in particular as well as Acelsulfame K (spelling?) are actually neurotoxic---they kill nerve and brain cells, even in very small amounts.

I've since switched to using a combination of stevia and erythritol ( a natural sugar alcohol that is not absorbed by the body) for cooking, baking, iced tea, etc. and it has not interfered with my losses at all. And I feel a whole lot better taking care of ALL of my body, not just my weight loss process. There's also a fair amount of research into Splenda and the other non-natural artificial sweeteners spiking blood sugar and insulin every bit as much as real sugar. The two I use now are the only ones that don't do that....
yours in sugar substitutes,
patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Divine; A very controversial subject, many "Experts" say its a problem, many say it's not. One things for sure it makes frightening reading...
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Me? Totally. Absolutely. Tested and retested with consistent results.

If I eat AS, I stall and I bloat...period. When I eat real sugar (in controlled amounts) I lose and I get thinner. I have seen that pattern my whole life - on low-cal, on LC, on packaged 'diet' foods, just eating normally.

Personally, I suspect it has something to do with my body responding to the sweet taste by releasing a lot of insulin that has nothing to do but hang around looking for work. And, because excess insulin is implicated in some pretty bad internal stuff, my rule of thumb is don't invite insulin to the party unless I give it something to do.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I can't say for sure, but I reduced my diet soda to about 1 glass a week and my losses have been good, but I use ez-sweets in just about every other thing that I sweeten- never sugar. I don't think it has a big impact on me, but I'm sure the less I consume the happier my body will be in the long run.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Divine, thanks for this thread.
I don't use Aspartame, which is in everything in Canada. It has a bad rep. I started using Splenda, thinking come on, it's everywhere, it must be okay.
And I have no idea about stalls, but I did finally link some absolutely crippling headaches to its use. I was SO happy to get rid of it!
No idea where I'll go next. I like sweet tastes occasionally and sugar flips an addiction switch with me. It'll be exciting to read the replies here.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
Artificial sweeteners are really not good for your health, can make you bloat, have digestive issues, and may make you crave food/sweets.

But as for weight loss goes... When I was really thin I used to drink 4-5 diet cokes a day, plus packs of gum and other artificially sweetened things. I felt horrible but never made a difference on the scale.

I think moderation is key and I am positive the weight will go down, just give it another week, could just be a natural stall.
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I haven't noticed it affecting me-I drink 4-5 cans of diet soda a day and then on my DDs I have diet hot cocoa. I think that's it for artificial sweeteners though. Maybe try cutting back and see if that helps?
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I've never had any trouble with AS's causing a stall, but I do react differently to different ones. Have you tried cutting one out and seeing if it's the culprit and then trying a different one?

My favorite AS is xylitol, but Splenda never causes me any problems either.
deedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
Hi Angela--I did in fact stall, I'm 90 % sure, due to artificial sweetener issues while doing low carb--and I'm pretty convinced it's the KIND of a.s. you use that is crucial. I was using splenda and sweetzfree. I knocked it off, also knocked off low carb upon finding JUDDD, and am happily losing again after initial carb water weight gain. It prompted me to do a buttload of research into artificial sweeteners, and what I found was kinda horrifying. Aspartame in particular as well as Acelsulfame K (spelling?) are actually neurotoxic---they kill nerve and brain cells, even in very small amounts.

I've since switched to using a combination of stevia and erythritol ( a natural sugar alcohol that is not absorbed by the body) for cooking, baking, iced tea, etc. and it has not interfered with my losses at all. And I feel a whole lot better taking care of ALL of my body, not just my weight loss process. There's also a fair amount of research into Splenda and the other non-natural artificial sweeteners spiking blood sugar and insulin every bit as much as real sugar. The two I use now are the only ones that don't do that....
yours in sugar substitutes,
patty
Yes, this is exactly why I quit Splenda and switched to erithytol/stevia. Haven't ever gone back either.

My daughter is a Lactation Consultant (R.N.) and she began suffering horrible migraine headaches after going low carb with Splenda. She began talking to other nurses in the hospital and found that the common link that others had were migraines/splenda. Scary.

I did the research that Divine did and there is a Youtube that is quite the documentary about this. Also, Dr. Mercola has an excellent research story on his site.

Aspartame is in a heck of a lot of low carb drinks and foods and it is even worse than Splenda, due to it's component phenylalanine.

Your body converts the amino acid phenylalanine to neurotransmitters that regulate your brain chemistry. These important neurotransmitters are: L-dopa, norepinephrine, & epinephrine

However, if your system is flooded with phenylalanine as a result of an aspartame overdose, the resulting increased levels of neurotransmitters can cause problems in the physiology of your brain -- problems which have been linked to a variety of psychiatric disorders. You can also be prone to anxiety attacks, depression, headaches, seizures and tremors.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 12-13-2012 at 08:02 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Yikes - scary stuff. The green tea I have been chugging all day has aspartame. I will start cutting it with water and in the future go with plain tea and bring my sweetzfree.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think aspartame is awful, myself, but I don't think any of these things cause weight stall. Our minds are "pattern recognizing" machines, and unfortunately we are willing to see patterns too easily and attribute causality where it doesn't exist.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I have given up all sorts of sweeteners, regular and artificial. I was losing very slowly--a pound a month, while never eating off plan--and I don't know whether giving up sweeteners helped me speed up my losses, or if the improvement came entirely from cutting back extra protein and adding JUDDD. I do notice that if I drink a diet soda, I get very hungry, which doesn't help my weightloss. Now that I don't eat added sweeteners, I taste the natural sweetness in vegetables, fruits, cream, etc. much more intensely, so that's a positive side benefit. The longer I don't eat sweeteners, the less I crave sweet foods, so I plan to stay with this approach even after getting to goal. But YMMV.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I'm not sure how to give up sweeteners. I eat sugar in baked goods and I drink diet soda. I also used splenda in my coffee. I don't even know if I could give up diet soda or never eat sugar again. In fact, one of the main reasons I started doing JUDDD was so I *could* have sweets again.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I'm not sure how to give up sweeteners. I eat sugar in baked goods and I drink diet soda. I also used splenda in my coffee. I don't even know if I could give up diet soda or never eat sugar again. In fact, one of the main reasons I started doing JUDDD was so I *could* have sweets again.
Oh heck yeah! I still eat sweets--but either the real thing, or if I'm baking, I usually cut at least half the sugar and replace it with stevia or erythritol, sometimes all of it. And my new favorite thing when I bake is half sugar substitute, quarter raw honey, quarter coconut sugar--better nutrition, enzymes, minerals, and more favorable glycemic index, and of course fewer calories. I want to be healthy, but I ain't never giving up dessert on up days! Not to mention the gift from the gods that is chocolate...
--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I bought some palm sugar and although it's delicious to eat, lol, it doesn't sweeten very well. I haven't found coconut sugar yet, although I think it might be available somewhere around here...is it better than palm to use as a substitute?
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I bought some palm sugar and although it's delicious to eat, lol, it doesn't sweeten very well. I haven't found coconut sugar yet, although I think it might be available somewhere around here...is it better than palm to use as a substitute?
I don't know if it is better than palm, but it tastes just like sugar to me. I bought it at my local Natural Grocer, but I have seen it at my Homeland as well. One great thing, it is interchangeable with sugar, because it has the same sweetness but much lower on the glycemic scale, so you can use the same amount/ratio as you would cane sugar. Someone, I believe it is Tina (MyKidsTeacher) says that it doesn't mess with her blood sugar and she can use it quite freely.

Last edited by sunday; 12-16-2012 at 07:16 PM..
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Does anyone know anything about Brown Rice Syrup? This is the sweetener that Dr. Jaminet recommends. I looked it up on Amazon and it seems to be well liked, but I don't know anything about it's nutrition/calories, etc?

Don't know yet why he doesn't recommend Stevia? But will ask about it when I get a chance.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
The one common ingredient that almost all the AS's have in common is the first ingredient "maltodextrin"

There is another name for sugar, albeit in small quantities, but still sugar. I now use steia liquid - there's SweetLeaf and others that don't have maltodextrin in them. Divinemsm mentions erythotol. I haven't come to any conclusions on it. So for now, Istay away from it.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I don't like to use artificial sweeteners at all. They do not react well with my body (bloating, bathroom issues, water retention). Plus, I don't like the taste of any of them really. They taste "chemically" to me. I also don't like that they seem to be overly sweet...like sickly sweet sometimes. (This coming from a sugar addict). I drink unsweetened tea or do bulletproof tea/coffee with coconut cream (or oil), butter, and heavy cream/half and half. I'll drink tea/coffee with almond milk (1 cup coffee with 1 cup almond milk) as well. I'll put lemon or lime in my water. Sometimes, I'll drink juice watered down with sparkling water if I need something different.

If I need a sweetener, I am not opposed to using raw cane sugar or agave (lower glycemic load), but I keep it to a minimum. I want to try coconut sugar, but it is hard to find. I am going to order some from Vitamin Shoppe since we have a coupon.

My ultimate goal is to wean off of sugar. I hate that there is sugar in everything too...things that don't even need it, like pizza sauce. It is so frustrating! I hate that they do that! It doesn't even taste good...I swear it just serves to make you crave more sugar and eat more of their crappy food. (By "their" I mean the food industry). I find I have to make my own everything to get rid of extra sugar. If I eat sugar, I want it to be on purpose!

Ok , sorry this turned into a soap box rant!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

DD80, I second your post.

It is next to impossible to find processed foods without HFCS as well. I like the coconut sugar, but have yet to know for certain that it truly has low glycemic rating? Tim Ferris of 4-hour body endorses stevia, because he says stevia is still the best healthy slow carb sugar alternative. He says that Coconut or Palm sugar has the GI of 35.

Quote:
Though it is 200-300 times sweeter than table sugar, stevia is not a sugar. Unlike other popular sweeteners, it has a glycemic index rating of less than 1 and therefore does not feed candida (yeast) or cause any of the numerous other problems associated with sugar consumption.
I would think if baking, you would want to use either Coconut Sugar or Erithytol. Stevia doesn't really work as well, imho.