Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: my3sonz
Stats: 173/154.5/120
Start Date: Restart - 5/2012; JUDDD 12/12/12
Trying JUDDD and have questions

After losing weight several times with lc, and gaining it back because of boredom, I've decided to try JUDDD. I do have several questions though.

For those who eat whatever they want on JUDDD, do you literally eat whatever you want? Food that is a big no-no on other plans? How about on DD's? Have you ever eaten your daily calorie allowance in one indulgence? Not planning to do that but just wondering..

Do you count calories on UD's? And does calorie counting become less intimidating with time? That was a big plus to me with lc.

Today is going good (first DD) because I'm used to not being hungry. I'm just so tired of having to watch every little thing I put in my mouth, but not looking for an excuse to go crazy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonz View Post
After losing weight several times with lc, and gaining it back because of boredom, I've decided to try JUDDD. I do have several questions though.

For those who eat whatever they want on JUDDD, do you literally eat whatever you want? Food that is a big no-no on other plans? How about on DD's? Have you ever eaten your daily calorie allowance in one indulgence? Not planning to do that but just wondering..

Do you count calories on UD's? And does calorie counting become less intimidating with time? That was a big plus to me with lc.

Today is going good (first DD) because I'm used to not being hungry. I'm just so tired of having to watch every little thing I put in my mouth, but not looking for an excuse to go crazy
I've been JUDDDing for a month, so still kind of new myself but-

I do literally eat whatever I want on my UDs Now, that doesn't mean I go on a food binge and eat an entire carton of ice cream, but I don't really restrict myself from eating any certain food group. However, I do shy away from carb heavy food (like pastas etc), just because I get all bloaty/big gut. I still eat carbs, but I do try to keep them to a reasonable amount.

For DDs, I've found that for me I have to eat/drink something every one to two hours (ending at 7pm). So I've never eaten all my DD calories at one time.

On UDs-I don't strictly follow JUDDD here, since I don'tt really count my UD calories. I have spot checked my UDs and I realized that I've been going over my calorie allotments. However, since I'm continuing to lose as a good pace I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing for now and see how it goes. If counting calories on UDs seem overwhelming, maybe just count them once or twice a week, so you can gauge how you're doing. But, I ALWAYS count every calorie on my DDs! Which is pretty easy since there's not a whole lot of them to count I just keep a notebook in my kitchen and jot down the calories as I eat them-nothing fancy, but it works

Last edited by mom23kids; 12-12-2012 at 01:59 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Just speaking for myself ... I count calories, using an online tracker, for both my up days and my down days. I also limit carbs to under 30/day and limit protein grams (to moderate levels), and try to eat very clean/primal. I know that I've have good success on JUDDD so far--just a couple of months--but I don't know if I would have been so successful if I hadn't employed all those strategies simultaneously. My body seems to be very resistent to weightloss, though, and not everyone has to adopt all these limitations. I actually like eating lowcarb/moderate protein/highfat and very clean, and I feel really good doing that, so it doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice to me.

You'll get a wide range of answers to your question, and you may need to experiment to see what works for you.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
I eat whatever I want - in moderate portions. Some days I count UD and others I don't, but I still moderate my portion size. Example...On an UD, I won't sit down with a bag of chips in front of the TV - I will portion out 1-2 ounces and enjoy them. If I am hungry for more, I will have more. Usually doesn't happen. The portion thing took time to get used to...

When I started, I stayed how I was eating before (LC) and just added a previously restricted food to one meal on each UD - within a couple of weeks I had switched over to eating whatever I wanted - it didn't seem to make a difference for me, though some folks have metobolic issues, etc and they still eliminate some foods.
route66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I tried eating whatever I wanted, all the previously forbidden foods and had all kinds of trouble at about 6-8 weeks. Took a break to heal and decided to go LC and now have added JUDDD rotations back. Some people can eat any and all kinds of things. For me, what caused problems before JUDDD, also caused problems on JUDDD.

Know thyself. Experiment carefully.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:

I jumped in with both feet, coming from Atkins. I knew I wanted to eat anything and everything, so I took a weekend off, carbed up, and used my slightly heavier weight as my "JUDDD start weight." Today has been one year, and I've lost 97 pounds, eating pasta and bread, wine, chocolate, as well as veggies, meats, fruits, etc.

I count everything on both UD and DD. I stick to the numbers given to me by the calculator and very rarely go over. I don't tweak or mess with the system too much, but have had to change rotations a couple of times and it's worked out fine.

I have had a couple of fairly serious health issues in the past year, and have taken a couple of short "maintenance breaks" when I started feeling fatigued, but have never deviated from doing rotations, or from counting. I use an on-line calorie tracker and it's really easy, especially once you get the hang of it. Mine has an app for my phone, so I never have an excuse to guess or log later. I log everything before it goes into my mouth.

On DDs I have a pretty set menu which works well for me. I find I do best if I wait until lunch, then have a decent sized meal, then usually just vegetables or maybe a little protein for dinner and I'm perfectly satisfied. I've never done a DD with an indulgence food, but others have with no problems.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
Only a month in myself, but seem to be losing just fine. Since not allowing myself certain foods on low carb plans seriously backfired on me before, I have made sure I eat whatever I want on both down and up days. I just follow the calculator calorie recommendations for me. Normally I just do coffees on Down days, but yesterday I nibbled on a small piece of rotisserie chicken and a few mint chocolate kisses. I went out for brunch and had a yummy western omelette last week for down day. Why not? It was less than 300 calories and I felt super full...and happy! My vote is fit in foods you love within your calorie restrictions and enjoy it! Welcome!!!!

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all of the replies!!

I'm going to see how things go not "watching" my carbs. So far today its been mind over stomach... I'm not crazy hungry, just mentally hungry. I'm perfectly fine with tummy growls - thankfully that doesn't bother me.

I've also read a lot of people work their way down to their DD. If you were able to start low, what foods seemed to work for you other than potatoes :-)

Last edited by my3sonz; 12-12-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Forgot to ask - what activity level would you consider walking 8 - 10 miles per wk
my3sonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
Quote:

I'm going to see how things go not "watching" my carbs. So far today its been mind over stomach... I'm not crazy hungry, just mentally hungry. I'm perfectly fine with tummy growls - thankfully that doesn't bother me.

I've also read a lot of people work their way down to their DD. If you were able to start low, what foods seemed to work for you other than potatoes :-)
Soups (progresso minestrone 220 for the can)

Broccoli with some chicken tossed in...
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian View Post
Soups (progresso minestrone 220 for the can)

Broccoli with some chicken tossed in...
I second soups-if you don't mind canned soup Progresso and Campbells both have light versions that taste really good and range from 50-70 calories a serving And chicken broth is really low calorie-I found one that's only 10 calories per serving!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am an egg believer for DD's and I have my own hens and their eggs are large so for 75 calories each, they got me through many a DD.
Sample DD menu
B - coffee with HWC (50) 1 egg + 1 egg white (95) = 145
L - HB egg (75)
D - HB egg (75)
Total 295 with room for a cup of broth or two 5-10 calories and/or a pickle spear or two. 5-10 calories

BUT UD's are whatever I wanted. No LC, no deprivation. Just whatever I felt like and remain within my calories or above. I was real bad about going over on UD's but I still lost, just very slowly. Maintaining now.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My go-to is a small Wendy's chili for 210 calories. Sometimes I'll cut up a whole, peeled cucumber and top it with a 70 calorie can of tuna and some vinegar = just over 100 calories. I like bulk with protein. Some need small amounts of fat and protein throughout the day. Others do well with just tons of veggies. My body works best with a mixture of the two.

A cup of broth goes a long way, and helps balance electrolytes if you're not sensitive to sodium. Hot tea or coffee are satiating. I like spicy foods, so broth with a chopped up serrano pepper is filling and spicy and just 7 calories (Wyler's buillon and a small serrano).
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
Everybody's responses to food differ so you may have to experiment a but. My mom had to eat very low carb or she'll gain easily, whereas I eat anything & everything I want. A typical UP day for me starts with a java chip frappucino & donut. Lunch might be In-N-Out, KFC, or Taco Bell. Then I try to "be good" by preparing dinner...usually pork, beef, or chicken with rice and veggies. Of and course I have dessert about every night. Pie or cake usually. My diet is atrocious I know but oh so tasty!! I sometimes count up day calories just out of curiosity but not to really keep within limit obviously since I break through the ceiling just about every time. I am religious about my DD cals though. It ranges from 200-500 usually, just depends on how hungry I am that day.
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
Sorry for the sloppy way my post was written. Typing on the phone--Ugh!
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I am guilty of having had the odd DD which was totally inappropriate. Wine and chips do not count towards your 5 a day they tell me...

But JUDDD does not judge, it is all about the calories. Each of our bodies reacts differently to different foods and no one can say how this will go for you.

I had been doing LC for over ten years and after 2 weeks here I was enjoying toast.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/150/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Hey, Tracy, welcome and glad to add another JB to our growing list...I try to keep low carbs as I know I do better that way, but on my UD's I'll eat the foods that were forbidden...like today I was out shopping and decided to stop for a small sub sandwich...and enjoyed it immensely. That's the best thing about the woe, it is very forgiving; and although I enter my calories into the 'puter every day, I find that I'm staying within my range most days.

You'll find that you'll have some go-to's that you just keep coming back to as they're so easy to grab on the DD's. I find an egg-white omelet or scramble with some fresh veggies and maybe add a couple of strips of turkey bacon for breakfast work well for me. For dinner, I frequently have the cabbage, chicken breast and laughing cow cheese thingie works for supper...that's just a simple stirfry.

After just a little bit you'll find what works for you...good luck.

Patience and Persistence not perfection
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
I'm one who does best with lean protein on DDs. I love tilapia or chicken breast. Sometimes I'll cut it up and put it over a mixed salad with some ACV and a bit of cold pressed EVOO. For the most part on UDs I eat anything unless I find that my carb cravings are getting out of control. Then I pull back on carbs for a while.

If I want to speed things up (which I have not wanted to or been willing to do in quite a while since my travel schedule has been packed) I will eat only lean protein on DDs and then protein with tons of veggies on UDs. The weight just falls off when I do that.

I would do it now, but we have so many Christmas parties to go to it's not practical.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
JUDDD does not care what you eat. If you are an experimenter, there is a chance you will find foods that cause a reaction you wish to avoid. But JUDDD will just smile and say, "That's nice. Now, stay on your calorie plan."

Before I joined the great potato experiment, my breakfast was 1 tsp hwc in coffee (20 cal). Lunch was frequently a cup of bone broth (40 cal). I ate most of my DD calories for dinner. So, I have come close to eating my DD calories at one time.

BUT, if you are asking about eating all your DD calories in the form of a 500 cal hot fudge sundae, well ... wait for it ... are you sitting down? ...golly, I love these moments ... JUDDD does not care. YOU might. Especially if you gobble it in the first few DDs (before that old JUDDD Magic is completely established) that big a sugar hit could trigger cravings or upset your tummy or could cause a water weight bounce up on the scales. BUT as long as you continue your rotations as planned, in a day or two you will wake up weighing the same as you would had you eaten unseasoned veggies.

Once the magic kicks in, you may wake up the next morning having lost weight.

Why, yes, I have come durn close to that experiment several times.

Mostly I stick to various cabbage stir fries and other veggie delights (with a small amount of protein and fat) on DDs. When I eat, I like the volume veggies give me (plus, I just plain like veggies).

It sounds like you have done some serious reading on JUDDD and you understand the fundamentals of hunger. Awesome - great planning! And great planning leads to great success! Welcome!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-12-2012 at 05:22 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:

I go with a little fat (half and half in coffee) to start the day, then later eat mostly lean protein (chicken breast w/out skin, boiled shrimp, hard-boiled egg, mini-babybel light cheese) and possibly a crunchy low carb vegetable (raw radishes are a favorite). Plus I drink a cup of homemade broth, and lots of water and green tea.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again everyone!! I really appreciate your replies!

Yesterday was a pretty successful first DD. I ended at 560 for the day. I was heartbroken to see that my beloved Crystal Light is 20 cal per packet - after I had already drank some. That could have been a disaster

B- 1 pkt plain instant oatmeal - 100 cal
L- 1 serving (1/2 can) Progresso soup w/one plain tortilla - 170 cal
S- 100 cal pack cookies
D- the rest of the soup and another tortilla - 170 cal
1 pkt Crystal Light - 20

My snack was a mental thing.. around the time the boys get home from school and proceed to eat the entire house

Hubby and boys had pizza for dinner last night only after assuring them it wouldn't bother me because I could have some today

I do think though I will definitely need more protein and/or fat for future DD's. I'm eyeballing the shrimp that's on sale right now...
my3sonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: purepink
Stats: 150/123/110 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/25/2012
You did great, Tracy!! Especially considering the fam had a pizza night.. you were strong to resist! But definitely had the right attitude.. tomorrow, you can feast!
purepink is offline   Reply With Quote