Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 45yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
1 month in!

Hi all! I just wanted to thank everyone for all the lovely encouraging posts, and all the ones where folks are frustrated, too. It is essential for me when focusing on losing weight that I have some sort of message board to absorb myself with. You all are FABULOUS!!!!!!

SO, I am one month in now and have lost 12 pounds so far. Sortof found this place as a fluke from another board where someone had posted how much they loved this WOE. (they got ALOT of flack for talking about this WOE, I might add, folks were so alarmed by it) Anyhoo, I am elated that she posted about it & even more elated that I tried it and am managing pretty comfortably to adjust to rotations. I seemed to do low calorie down days without too much issue from the get go. (I am SO BLESSED that this wasn't horrible for me, I know. I have moments, but overall, it is pretty easy so far, and even more so this past week!) Up days have been interesting to try to get all the calories in, probably b/c I tend to not be hungry until afternoon anyways. It's all good, I'll figure it out.

I do have a question, though. Do those of you who try for really low down days still try to stick right at your up day calories (per the calculator)? My body has been through the ringer and my metabolism is pathetic as a result. I just want to make sure that I'm not going too low with cals right about at UD limit. I was a pro as a teenager at fasting and then eating one meal a day. Ahem. Super low calorie and like I said, it's been downhill from there. LOL! So even through I'm at 0-200 cals most down days, I'm ok sticking at or just under my UD limits, right? I don't have to go over them routinely?

Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Flutter, your loss is inspiring! WTG!!

Quote:
(they got ALOT of flack for talking about this WOE, I might add, folks were so alarmed by it)
Interesting! When I first started looking into JUDD, I did a google search to find the calculator to figure out my UD numbers. I stumbled upon a website bashing this WOE and the Doctor. Basically said people are gullible and will trust anyone in a white coat, and how anyone trying it must be desperate. I of course ignored that site, as I'm used to people bashing what I know works (coming from low-carb). But it's fascinating how people are so eager to dismiss something without researching it.

I'm curious to see the answer to your question, though my problem is the opposite. Haven't had an UD yet where I didn't go over!
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Great job on the big first month loss

For your question, from what I understand (which may be wrong lol), for our DDs, we can eat less than our calorie allotment, but for our UDs we're supposed to get as close as possible. I think I've read that if we go under by a bit that's ok, but try not to make it a habit, and try to get as close as possible to that UD number. But, maybe someone who's been JUDDDing longer can jump in and answer your question better

eta: I've spent some time browsing other diet sites, specifically those that focus on low calorie. Most of them are absolutely brutal about JUDDD/calorie cycling There is such an ingrained mindset that if you get below 1,200 calories the world will end, your body will fall apart, and you'll starve yourself, while at the same time gain new weight As more research/studies come out about fasting/calorie cycling I think the tide will change though!

Last edited by mom23kids; 12-11-2012 at 07:42 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara, that's what I have thought, too, but then started wondering if my calories over 2 day periods were too low since I mainly fast on down days. I just don't want my poor confused body thinking it's going in to starvation mode again. (b/c I've sure done THAT before!)

Deedee, the plan was pretty much bashed b/c of the super low cals for down days. I mean, it was REALLY bashed...to the point that I pm'd the gal that had started the thread and thanked her profusely for posting about it b/c the plan sounded excellant for me. She said she was so upset by the responses, she was going to email a mod and have it deleted.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
First of all, for making it a month, Melinda! I can't believe it's already been that long. You are doing so great, and again, congrats on those 12 pounds - fantastic!

I'm so glad you found us. I am always amazed by the negative tone so many message boards take. I've always avoided them like the plague, and I'm so glad I gave this one a chance. Never, EVER have I seen such a positive board online, and come to love all the JBs as we make our way through this WOE on a daily basis.

Your question about cals. For my first couple of months, I stuck to 500 DDs and most of the time made it up to my UD calories, or really close. I have gone over (maybe 50 or so) a few times. Only recently have I been trying to lower my DD cals to what the calculator says, and I think it's sped up my losses a little bit. Tough to tell with TOM right now. So I'm kind of doing a hybrid - I'm using my current weight calculated DD calories, and my original (starting JUDDD weight, 25 pounds ago) UD calories through the holidays. I wanted to give myself that leeway during the season, and then after the first of the year I'll evaluate how my losses are, and if I need to I'll lower my UD cals to my current weight calculation. Make sense? Maybe I'm just rambling....

Congrats again, and so glad to have you on the board. Your posts are always so nice, and you're very encouraging to others. A perfect fit!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I am almost always under my DD calories, sometimes by quite a bit, and I always try to get close to my UD calories. Dr. J indicated that a full fast would be preferable on DDs but knew most of us wouldn't be able to (or want to) do that, so that's why the low cal DDs came about. I never add calories NOT eaten on a DD to my UD allotment, and it's working great.

That being said, everyone has to find their sweet spot. For several, that's MORE UD calories than the calculator gives, and for others, sadly, it's less. If you're losing well doing what you're doing, keep doing it.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/171.6/155 - 5'5
WOE: Stillman's*
Yay congrats on the 12 pounds and the one month!!!!

I also did many google searches, read reviews on the diet before/while I started JUDDD. But I truly believe every body is different and that this WOE is the best one I have ever done. It is the first time in 2 years that i have been able to STICK to anything and not feel completely deprived. Also the first WOE that I can see myself sticking to FOREVER (slideee into maintenance!!)

The results speak for themselves, the energy, happiness and free-ness of JUDDD is proof of its wonderful success!!

I go over my UP days pretty often (range between 1800-2000), but always stick to my DD (approx 400-600) and I have been losing consistently.

Good luck on MONTH 2
Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
I'm in maintenance mode now but if I had a low DD, I always tacked on the unused cals to my up calories the next day--I love to indulge! I still lost weight, no problems. I know it's different for everyone but I wanted my body to get used to higher calorie up days. That way, I could eat what I wanted and my metabolism would get used to torching those cals! It worked for me anyways. You need to kind of experiment to see what is comfortable and what works for you though. Good luck on your journey--you'll get there!
Lyric's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Great job on your first month losses, Melinda!

Aren't JUDDD BUDDDs the best? I agree that it is so helpful to have a forum support system!
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
DDs have to low enough to stimulate a fasting response. Which means your body starts generating SIRTs.

Most people get there at or below 500 calories/DD. A few people do need to eat more than 500 cals or they shoot through fasting response into starvation mode too fast. That is the reason, when someone stalls - especially if they are new or have recently dropped their DDs - we suggest they up DD cal for a week or two. We have had some big successes who never dropped below 650/DD cals. And many equally big successes who spent DD at zero cals.

UDs have to be high enough to stop the fasting response. Which means stop SIRT generation and force your metabolism to speed back up.

Most people get there somewhere around their calculated UD calories. Eat too fat above UD cals too frequently (once in awhile is just an extra high bounce, nbd) and you may see a stall or a gain. Eat too far below UD cals and you will lose for awhile then stall (personal experience speaking here).

How far is too far? Depends on your personal metabolism. If there are no unusual medical or physiological problems, probably UD cals +- two or three hundred calories on average.

Experiment! Lose weight and have fun while doing so!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
I might not be the best to give advise, but if your losing comfortably, which you are, I would repair my metabolism by pushing up calories on UD and leaving DD the same or even drop slightly.
Move up 250 calorie steps on UD until then weigh after DD keep stepping until you stall. Then stay there for two rotations, if you start to lose again, stay there, if you gain, drop back 250.

Your losing well, and not struggling, I suspect higher UD calories would repair metabolism and possibly increase your losses longer term as you'll have a higher start point to drop from.

Again, just what I'd do, not meant as instruction:-)

Not for long!!!!!!!!!
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Kettleboy, you make a lot of sense. That's worth a good try.
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I wish Pat would drop in, she is very knowledgable about these things. I think she would say stay as you are until you reach goal, but then try pushing up those UD cals while keeping your DD low, if you are comfortable doing so.

That is what I try to do.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Congratulations Flutter, My JB!!!You and I started on the same day, and you've left me in the dust hun!!! I don't think you need any advice, but could probably give some!! If you've lost 12 lbs in one month, don't change a thing. I wouldn't do anything different until/unless you stop losing and/or gaining. JMHO. So happy for you! and a wee bit jealous.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Cinds, you'll get there.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
I want to say congratulations to you also, Flutter...I'm new at this..but a few days..when that darn scale just wouldn't move...I thought about giving up..then..next morning, I'd get on it again...no movement..and I'd say...I'm gonna get on here til it moves...haha...now I find out, the dang thing must be broken..cause I fixed my digital and it showed a good loss. ...but, I have to say that it was coming here and reading the posts that motivated me to keep on trying...now it seems like it's going to be the best way for me to eat, always..I think that for me, I am going to weigh once a week...that seems better for me..but I like to see people posting those .2 and .5 losses..it's motivating.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Melinda- KUTGW!
I'm all for DDs as low as you can go and push those UDs as long as you can.
Most DDs I'm under 200 and often under 150.
I haven't counted an UD in about 7 mos. I really don't know what my numbers are like, but I eat when hungry and stop when full. If I eat out or have a special treat I'm sure I get near 2000- maybe, but then I have days like today that will end up possibly less then 1,500- just 'cause I wasn't that hungry.
JUDDD has blessed me to eat what I need/enjoy and leave the rest. I feel so blessed that this woe has been so effortless and so fruitful for me. I don't underestimate the gift I've been given.
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
You are so sweet and encouraging, Carly. I feel blessed by this WOE and especially the people here.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
WOE: Chris Powell's Carb Cycling
Start Date: 9/16/13
Flutter~ Congrat's on your success so far, you're doing fantastic!!

Funnily enough, I've never ventured outside this board to look for other comments/reviews of JUDDD. I had no idea! LOL I just knew from being here at LCF for so long that there were JUDDD'ers here and that's all I ever needed to know. Never even considered the fact that people might not like our plan.

Anyways, I do hope you get some clarity regarding your UD's..but I tend to agree, if you're losing great don't mess with it! It wasn't until the last 2 weeks where I've been able to hit about 100-200 cals for DD's and keep right at my UD levels and still losing ok. I find a very "Zen" feeling on DD's with so few calories..maybe I'm weird?

Keep it up chicky, you are doing FAB and could not be prouder of your success!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Congratulations for making it to one month!! Wooo!!!
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
... It wasn't until the last 2 weeks where I've been able to hit about 100-200 cals for DD's and keep right at my UD levels and still losing ok. I find a very "Zen" feeling on DD's with so few calories..maybe I'm weird? ...
Weird? Naaaah. You just have a body-load of SIRTs and are experiencing the magic and the calm. Welcome to JUDDD Nirvana! Nice place to visit, great place to live!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 12-12-2012 at 05:15 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chalagurl
Stats: 245/225/130
WOE: It changes every week :(
Great job on your your amazing 1 month loss!
And I have to agree with everyone, this is by far the best board and best group of people I have ever met on the internet! lol
I have only been doing JUDDD for about 4 days, but you guys are a big part of why I've been so successful already and I know I will be sticking with this WOE for a loooooong time!
Thanks you everyone for being so supportive, informative, helpful, and caring!
Chalagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Awwwww! THANKS guys!!!!!!!! I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a completely different way of living than I'm accustomed to (huge difference from southbeach! So nice to not give evil eyeballs to any white food I run across!)

I feel really great this week and am down a few more pounds this morning, so I think I will keep my down days as low as possible and keep counting my up days, as best as I can. I seem to stick pretty close to the calculator for UDs now, but have had a couple where I'm over 200 or so. The thing I really love about it all is to finally not feel guilty where food is concerned. I think that's the big part of where my diet fatigue and huge regains always come from. DD and I are going to make snowball cookies and buckeyes today. Expect quite a bounce tomorrow. hahaha!

Anyways, I know I will come back to this thread and reread everyone's great advice as I chug along here!

OH! Regarding the board love over here, it really is so deserved. I've been on diet message boards since '05 and although I met the best little group of southbeach buds that are super supportive, the bigger group could be brutal! Who needs that? Thanks again everyone, you're the best!

Last edited by Flutter; 12-12-2012 at 07:33 AM..