Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
JUDDD isn't for me at the moment

JUDDD isn’t for me at the moment.. I think I need to ease into it. Too many feelings of deprivation and “woe is me”, is not good for my mental health. After I weighed myself at the end of the 2nd week and found that I had gained ˝ pound after starving 3 of the prior 7 days I knew that I needed to approach this a different way. So, after stuffing myself silly for the last 3 days, and after reading a lot about the various types of Intermittent Fasting on the internet, I am making a new plan..

I’ve been reading on the forums about a new book coming out tomorrow – The Perfect Health Diet. I pre-ordered it and will get it downloaded on my Kindle by tomorrow. It’s got a LC (but not VLC)/moderate protein/high fat mix – basically a paleo template and advocates one 24 hour fast per week. I intend to work harder at eliminating all the processed food from my diet (so Paleo is a good thing!) and I am going to aim to work towards two 24 hour fasts a week. To do this I am going to use a version of MUDDD for the next few weeks – including the weeks of Christmas and New Years, and will tailor make my days to fit my social activities for the week. I live for fun, and refuse to give that up – even for better health. I hope the day comes when I don’t equate fun = food/drink.. but, for now they are one in the same.

In doing my reading, I know that I want the magic of IF to work for me. However, when I suffer (by being hungry) I tend to rebel. I learned that I won’t die if I am hungry, it’s only a feeling.. But, still – it triggers negative emotions that I have not been able to talk myself out of. I’ll check in here from time to time and hope to rejoin you full time one of these days. Keep up the great work everyone, thanks for the great support and have a wonderful holiday season!! You're all THE BEST!!!

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post
JUDDD isn’t for me at the moment.. I think I need to ease into it. Too many feelings of deprivation and “woe is me”, is not good for my mental health. After I weighed myself at the end of the 2nd week and found that I had gained ˝ pound after starving 3 of the prior 7 days I knew that I needed to approach this a different way. So, after stuffing myself silly for the last 3 days, and after reading a lot about the various types of Intermittent Fasting on the internet, I am making a new plan..

I’ve been reading on the forums about a new book coming out tomorrow – The Perfect Health Diet. I pre-ordered it and will get it downloaded on my Kindle by tomorrow. It’s got a LC (but not VLC)/moderate protein/high fat mix – basically a paleo template and advocates one 24 hour fast per week. I intend to work harder at eliminating all the processed food from my diet (so Paleo is a good thing!) and I am going to aim to work towards two 24 hour fasts a week. To do this I am going to use a version of MUDDD for the next few weeks – including the weeks of Christmas and New Years, and will tailor make my days to fit my social activities for the week. I live for fun, and refuse to give that up – even for better health. I hope the day comes when I don’t equate fun = food/drink.. but, for now they are one in the same.

In doing my reading, I know that I want the magic of IF to work for me. However, when I suffer (by being hungry) I tend to rebel. I learned that I won’t die if I am hungry, it’s only a feeling.. But, still – it triggers negative emotions that I have not been able to talk myself out of. I’ll check in here from time to time and hope to rejoin you full time one of these days. Keep up the great work everyone, thanks for the great support and have a wonderful holiday season!! You're all THE BEST!!!
You have to do what makes you the most successful and happy when it comes to a diet plan to follow for weight loss. Since there is deprivation of some kind involved in all plans, we all just pick the plan that has the deprivation we can live with. I spent years looking for the one that didn't deprive me of anything, ever, but.. that turned out to be the way I was already eating, and it wasn't working for me. LOLOLOL I like JUDDD because I can eat anything I want every other day, and only cut back sharply half the time to counter-balance my UP Days.. sometimes w-a-a-a-a-y UP Days.

But if this was the plan that everyone loved the most, everybody would be here.. and they're not. So I wish you the greatest fortune in finding the perfect plan for you, and then great success on that plan. Becoming slim and trim and improving our health now and in our futures is the goal, so all we have to do is find the plan that we can follow to that goal.

Good luck to you, and have a wonderful and joyous Christmas/Holiday Season!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/190/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
I've read about the Perfect Health Diet before, and it sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes for you! What exactly is MUDDD?

It's always a good thing to be working towards figuring out what works for you! Not every WOE is going to work for everyone. I always give myself 2 months on any WOE, because that's how long it takes me, personally, to figure out if I like something and if it's working for my body. But when you know for sure something isn't working, no matter how long it's been, it can't hurt to change things up.
deedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Hug.
Bummer Dipgal. Sorry your feeling down.
ANY DIET WILL WORK, true?
U have to use the diet.
I think buying books, doing every diet on the shelve is bad news.
Seems like the writers are the only winners. asking your money.
I also have a few diet books.
Dr Phil, Dr Atkins, Dr Johnson= JUDDD my fav.
Which I pass along to people to share in the schooling.
I enjoying reading- I get to sit down, smile.
All the potions, gimmicks, cost moneys.
AS you say. Sounds like you aren't ready at this time.
I'd rather take that as a reason for you leaving this woe of eating.
Dipgal don't sell yourself short.
I have never had a large amount of wt to carry around all my life.
I can Only imagine what that feels like.
Hope you happiness and health. Keep in touch please.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
So sorry this was such a struggle for you, Dipgal. You have to find what's right for you and your lifestyle, so good job formulating an alternative plan. I hope you can find what works best for you and have huge success with it. Keep us posted on how you're doing!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #6

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Keep us posted!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I've done everything from primal eating to being a vegetarian, and just about everything in between I do think we have to try several woes to see which one is a good fit for our personalities/lifestyles etc. Good luck as you continue your weight loss journey
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Judy,
I just posted a chart and a bit of info about the "Perfect Health Diet" a few days ago over in the Benefits thread. One reason that I started studying the plan, is because it is very similar in the way I normally eat and I have been hearing and reading podcasts on Mark Sisson's paleo site. Also, the tater hacks had me curious to how potatoes could be a daily add to my diet? I have yet to begin trying to incorporate the fermented vegetables, kefir, & yogurt, as well as a few of his safe starches. But other than that, I JUDDD this way anyhow. I hope you will let us know how you are doing and if you are enjoying this lifestyle. Best wishes to you! .
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Flutter
Stats: 190/123/135 5'4" 44yo
Start Date: SB 2/05; JUDDD 11/12
I am so sad to hear this, but completely understand needing to find something you can live with long term. Oh do I EVER! Huge hugs to you and the best of wishes in your endeavors. Please do check back and update us!
Flutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.7/126.8 5'2" 37yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
It is so very important to find a WOE that works for you and is sustainable for you. I wish you tons of luck and speed in finding that right fit. Keep us posted.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 135 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Sorry to see you go Judy. I do soooo understand though. If you could lose weight by complaining, I'd be a stick! I really felt that I would be doing a post like this one this week, but I stuck it out and today was the best DD ever! JB's tried to tell me, but only experience can do that, as I found out. I believe you would come to love this WOE if you could stay with it a bit longer. However, I do understand and like Pat said, if everybody could or would do JUDDD, they would all be here and they're not. I hope you find what FITS you!!! Please come back and let us know how you are.

Cinds

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3"
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
PHD looks somewhat intersting, been reading and about to do some playing around with it myself but in a JUDDD context.
Their explanantion of why we should not eat grains, legumes etc, is easily understood and makes sense. will certainly look to adopt some of it's tennants
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 AM   #13

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Judy I am so sorry you are leaving us. I do so wish you had weighed more often to get used to seeing the bounces. That .5 gain may have been after some losses earlier in the week. And I really wish you had come here to vent and complain and be downright mad. We can only talk you off the parapet if we know you're there.

I do hope you find the right way forward for you, please come back anytime.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
"You gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Prince Charming."

Judy, I believe you will find your WOE. And, because so many WOEs fit within the JUDDD framework, don't be afraid to come back and try a combo!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks to all my supportive Juddd Buddds for your kind words! As I research and ease into a slight variation of Low Carb, Paleo and IF'ing, I always have *coming back to full fledged JUDDD* in the back of my mind. It just makes so much sense... For now, I just can't spend half my days unhappy, even if it's only temporary until the magic kicks in.. *Live for today* is kinda my motto. I was never good at thinking about the "rainy day"..
Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Good luck, Judy!! People have success with all kinds of WOE. It just needs to fit your lifestyle, so I'm glad you're trying something you think will be better for YOU. At least you aren't giving up completely on weight-loss, and that's the main reason most of us are here. Let us know how it goes, ok?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luv2Eat
WOE: JUDDD dd 200 ud 1200
Start Date: Aug 2012
Good luck to you, Judy
Although JUDDD is simple, I do consider it to be a bit extreme and one must be in the right mental mindset to pull it off. It sounds like you need an intermediate step, side step or perhaps, another path. If/when you decide to try JUDDD again, we'll be here for you
Luv2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I've done everything from primal eating to being a vegetarian, and just about everything in between I do think we have to try several woes to see which one is a good fit for our personalities/lifestyles etc. Good luck as you continue your weight loss journey
garnet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post

dipgal, I have been "trying" JUDDD for months unsuccessfully (after a year of maintaining a 50 pound weight loss), and only recently figured out what I need to do. (no starch/no sugar on the Up Days--only have bread/pasta once a week, which is how I maintained in the first place). There is a lot of information on the web about lectins in wheat, in particular, which I think explains why grains are so fattening for some of us.

The hardest thing about JUDDD is how SLOWLY the weight comes off. When I was doing hCG, although there were times I felt deprived, the weight comes off so quickly in the first week or so, it was VERY encouraging. Of course, the very low calorie diet and Simeon's protocol is very restrictive, but I can't tell you the glee I felt when I lost 7 pounds in the first week or so of the diet. (Average weight loss is 0.5 to 1 pound per day over the course of the diet, so the weight loss is slows down after that first week. After the first 6 week course I started doing only 3 week courses.) And the blessed thing is how little you need to eat to feel full once you lose weight this way. I think it really does change your setpoint.

I hope you find what works for you--and you will! When I slowly put on 50 pounds after I turned 38, I thought it was my destiny to be plus-size since my mother and both my aunts were overweight. But it is NOT your destiny! Best of luck to you.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again ladies! Garnet, the grains did pop back into my diet on the Up Days, and that could have been a factor in both not losing the second week, AND the hunger on the Down Days. I think I was trying to change too many things at once, and that coupled with massive hunger just was not a good mix. I see so many people here have luck with HCG - I just can't imagine that level of deprivation, and then keeping it off...

In reading my new book mentioned previously, and reading more about Paleo, I am going to truly eliminate all grains and legumes and eat low carb, but not very low carb. I'm going to shoot for approx. 50-75 total (not net) carbs - mostly from veggies, a tiny bit of berries and maybe some starchy veggies or sweet potato every so often. I am waiting to eat my breakfast so that I won't have more than an 8 hour eating window.. and slowly try to make that less... with the occasional 24 hour fast.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #21

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I love the sound of your new plan Judy. You are going to get there.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #22

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet10 View Post
..........The hardest thing about JUDDD is how SLOWLY the weight comes off..........
Except, JUDDD isn't a *crash* diet, as in an ongoing period of fasting, so you wouldn't expect the type of weight loss that occurs from extended periods of very low calories.

Except that Dawn has just reported that her one year of JUDDD has given her very nearly 100 pounds lost on JUDDD, and that's only from Down Days... with the Up Days eating any kinds of foods in the world that she wanted! She only dieted half of the time of her weight loss period, which I think is really a funny thing, when you stop to think about it, because so often we only follow our diet half the time anyway, doing it sometimes and then quitting and eating off plan or too many carbs or too many calories or whatever... and we DON'T lose that kind of weight. But Dawn did, because this diet plan is exactly the kind you *go on and off of* so to speak.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

It's really a wonderful WOE!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Except, JUDDD isn't a *crash* diet, as in an ongoing period of fasting, so you wouldn't expect the type of weight loss that occurs from extended periods of very low calories.
You misinterpreted what I wrote--I never said I "expected" the type of weight loss that I had with hCG. I said the slow weight loss was the hardest thing about JUDDD.
garnet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shari4
Stats: 200(190)/140.4(181)/140 64yrs
Start Date: Started JUDDD: 9/24/12 @181(again 2/1/14 @ 190)
Good luck, Judy! I wish you all the best!
Shari4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 AM   #26

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post

Except that Dawn has just reported that her one year of JUDDD has given her very nearly 100 pounds lost on JUDDD, and that's only from Down Days... with the Up Days eating any kinds of foods in the world that she wanted! She only dieted half of the time of her weight loss period, which I think is really a funny thing, when you stop to think about it, because so often we only follow our diet half the time anyway, doing it sometimes and then quitting and eating off plan or too many carbs or too many calories or whatever... and we DON'T lose that kind of weight. But Dawn did, because this diet plan is exactly the kind you *go on and off of* so to speak.
For me, the weight has come off more quickly and more steadily with JUDDD than with any other plan I've tried. I got lucky, I guess, and found my sweet spot pretty early. I also took a couple of mini "maintenance breaks" and have dealt with some health issues along the way, so I'm counting my lucky stars and loving the JUDDD life.

It's not for everyone, though, and we all have to find what works for us. I'm just so grateful for JUDDD and for all the support here. I wish everyone could have the success and speed of loss they desire from whatever plan they choose to follow. Sort of like a blanket "world peace" wish, I guess.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Sort of like a blanket "world peace" wish, I guess.
I love this.

Judy, one other thought, and I will have to dig this up because I posted it in the Benefits thread, is that women who are peri and menopausal don't always have weight loss with ADF/IF. They struggle and the research shows that they are receiving benefits of fasting, but not necessarily weight loss. On the other hand, men have not had this issue and lose weight effortlessly on IF.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Sorry to see you go Judy. I do soooo understand though. If you could lose weight by complaining, I'd be a stick! I really felt that I would be doing a post like this one this week, but I stuck it out and today was the best DD ever! JB's tried to tell me, but only experience can do that, as I found out. I believe you would come to love this WOE if you could stay with it a bit longer. However, I do understand and like Pat said, if everybody could or would do JUDDD, they would all be here and they're not. I hope you find what FITS you!!! Please come back and let us know how you are.

Cinds

I want to echo everything said above but add that if I had not vowed to myself that I would give JUDDD two weeks, I would have bailed. It's only my very stubborn commitment if I make one that kept me holding on. And then it got awesome.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I don't know about the slow weight loss thing.

JUDDD can be fast or slow depending on how you work it.
Some of us cannot handle real low DD (including me, except on occasion), and overeating regularly on UD can be an issue.

There are so many options here and losing is better that stalling even if it is not fast.
But I believe that JUDDD works better than IF....Of course IMHO.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote