Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD isn't for me at the moment (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/791067-juddd-isnt-me-moment.html)

dipgal 12-10-2012 07:02 AM

JUDDD isn't for me at the moment
 
JUDDD isnt for me at the moment.. I think I need to ease into it. Too many feelings of deprivation and woe is me, is not good for my mental health. After I weighed myself at the end of the 2nd week and found that I had gained pound after starving 3 of the prior 7 days I knew that I needed to approach this a different way. So, after stuffing myself silly for the last 3 days, and after reading a lot about the various types of Intermittent Fasting on the internet, I am making a new plan..

Ive been reading on the forums about a new book coming out tomorrow The Perfect Health Diet. I pre-ordered it and will get it downloaded on my Kindle by tomorrow. Its got a LC (but not VLC)/moderate protein/high fat mix basically a paleo template and advocates one 24 hour fast per week. I intend to work harder at eliminating all the processed food from my diet (so Paleo is a good thing!) and I am going to aim to work towards two 24 hour fasts a week. To do this I am going to use a version of MUDDD for the next few weeks including the weeks of Christmas and New Years, and will tailor make my days to fit my social activities for the week. I live for fun, and refuse to give that up even for better health. I hope the day comes when I dont equate fun = food/drink.. but, for now they are one in the same.

In doing my reading, I know that I want the magic of IF to work for me. However, when I suffer (by being hungry) I tend to rebel. I learned that I wont die if I am hungry, its only a feeling.. But, still it triggers negative emotions that I have not been able to talk myself out of. Ill check in here from time to time and hope to rejoin you full time one of these days. Keep up the great work everyone, thanks for the great support and have a wonderful holiday season!! You're all THE BEST!!!

SoHappy 12-10-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipgal (Post 16127698)
JUDDD isnt for me at the moment.. I think I need to ease into it. Too many feelings of deprivation and woe is me, is not good for my mental health. After I weighed myself at the end of the 2nd week and found that I had gained pound after starving 3 of the prior 7 days I knew that I needed to approach this a different way. So, after stuffing myself silly for the last 3 days, and after reading a lot about the various types of Intermittent Fasting on the internet, I am making a new plan..

Ive been reading on the forums about a new book coming out tomorrow The Perfect Health Diet. I pre-ordered it and will get it downloaded on my Kindle by tomorrow. Its got a LC (but not VLC)/moderate protein/high fat mix basically a paleo template and advocates one 24 hour fast per week. I intend to work harder at eliminating all the processed food from my diet (so Paleo is a good thing!) and I am going to aim to work towards two 24 hour fasts a week. To do this I am going to use a version of MUDDD for the next few weeks including the weeks of Christmas and New Years, and will tailor make my days to fit my social activities for the week. I live for fun, and refuse to give that up even for better health. I hope the day comes when I dont equate fun = food/drink.. but, for now they are one in the same.

In doing my reading, I know that I want the magic of IF to work for me. However, when I suffer (by being hungry) I tend to rebel. I learned that I wont die if I am hungry, its only a feeling.. But, still it triggers negative emotions that I have not been able to talk myself out of. Ill check in here from time to time and hope to rejoin you full time one of these days. Keep up the great work everyone, thanks for the great support and have a wonderful holiday season!! You're all THE BEST!!!

You have to do what makes you the most successful and happy when it comes to a diet plan to follow for weight loss. Since there is deprivation of some kind involved in all plans, we all just pick the plan that has the deprivation we can live with. I spent years looking for the one that didn't deprive me of anything, ever, but.. that turned out to be the way I was already eating, and it wasn't working for me. LOLOLOL :laugh: I like JUDDD because I can eat anything I want every other day, and only cut back sharply half the time to counter-balance my UP Days.. sometimes w-a-a-a-a-y UP Days. ;)

But if this was the plan that everyone loved the most, everybody would be here.. and they're not. So I wish you the greatest fortune in finding the perfect plan for you, and then great success on that plan. Becoming slim and trim and improving our health now and in our futures is the goal, so all we have to do is find the plan that we can follow to that goal.

Good luck to you, and have a wonderful and joyous Christmas/Holiday Season! :up:

deedee 12-10-2012 07:48 AM

I've read about the Perfect Health Diet before, and it sounds interesting. Let us know how it goes for you! What exactly is MUDDD?

It's always a good thing to be working towards figuring out what works for you! Not every WOE is going to work for everyone. I always give myself 2 months on any WOE, because that's how long it takes me, personally, to figure out if I like something and if it's working for my body. But when you know for sure something isn't working, no matter how long it's been, it can't hurt to change things up.

Eieio 12-10-2012 08:03 AM

Hug.
Bummer Dipgal. Sorry your feeling down.
ANY DIET WILL WORK, true?
U have to use the diet.
I think buying books, doing every diet on the shelve is bad news.
Seems like the writers are the only winners. asking your money.
I also have a few diet books.
Dr Phil, Dr Atkins, Dr Johnson= JUDDD my fav.
Which I pass along to people to share in the schooling.
I enjoying reading- I get to sit down, smile.
All the potions, gimmicks, cost moneys.
AS you say. Sounds like you aren't ready at this time.
I'd rather take that as a reason for you leaving this woe of eating.
Dipgal don't sell yourself short.
I have never had a large amount of wt to carry around all my life.
I can Only imagine what that feels like.
Hope you happiness and health. Keep in touch please.

LoCarbGal 12-10-2012 08:27 AM

So sorry this was such a struggle for you, Dipgal. You have to find what's right for you and your lifestyle, so good job formulating an alternative plan. I hope you can find what works best for you and have huge success with it. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

KeirasMom 12-10-2012 08:56 AM

Keep us posted! :hugs:

mom23kids 12-10-2012 09:00 AM

I've done everything from primal eating to being a vegetarian, and just about everything in between :laugh: I do think we have to try several woes to see which one is a good fit for our personalities/lifestyles etc. Good luck as you continue your weight loss journey :hugs:

sunday 12-10-2012 03:07 PM

Judy,
I just posted a chart and a bit of info about the "Perfect Health Diet" a few days ago over in the Benefits thread. One reason that I started studying the plan, is because it is very similar in the way I normally eat and I have been hearing and reading podcasts on Mark Sisson's paleo site. Also, the tater hacks had me curious to how potatoes could be a daily add to my diet? I have yet to begin trying to incorporate the fermented vegetables, kefir, & yogurt, as well as a few of his safe starches. But other than that, I JUDDD this way anyhow. I hope you will let us know how you are doing and if you are enjoying this lifestyle. Best wishes to you! :hugs: .

Flutter 12-10-2012 04:26 PM

:( I am so sad to hear this, but completely understand needing to find something you can live with long term. Oh do I EVER! Huge hugs to you and the best of wishes in your endeavors. Please do check back and update us!

Carly 12-10-2012 05:33 PM

It is so very important to find a WOE that works for you and is sustainable for you. I wish you tons of luck and speed in finding that right fit. Keep us posted.

Librarygirl 12-10-2012 07:25 PM

Sorry to see you go Judy.:hugs: I do soooo understand though. If you could lose weight by complaining, I'd be a stick!:hyst: I really felt that I would be doing a post like this one this week, but I stuck it out and today was the best DD ever! JB's tried to tell me, but only experience can do that, as I found out. I believe you would come to love this WOE if you could stay with it a bit longer. However, I do understand and like Pat said, if everybody could or would do JUDDD, they would all be here and they're not. I hope you find what FITS you!!! Please come back and let us know how you are.:hugs:

Cinds

Kettleboy 12-11-2012 12:42 AM

PHD looks somewhat intersting, been reading and about to do some playing around with it myself but in a JUDDD context.
Their explanantion of why we should not eat grains, legumes etc, is easily understood and makes sense. will certainly look to adopt some of it's tennants

Kissa 12-11-2012 02:56 AM

Judy I am so sorry you are leaving us. I do so wish you had weighed more often to get used to seeing the bounces. That .5 gain may have been after some losses earlier in the week. And I really wish you had come here to vent and complain and be downright mad. We can only talk you off the parapet if we know you're there.

I do hope you find the right way forward for you, please come back anytime.

gotsomeold 12-11-2012 03:36 AM

"You gotta kiss a lot of frogs before you find your Prince Charming."

Judy, I believe you will find your WOE. And, because so many WOEs fit within the JUDDD framework, don't be afraid to come back and try a combo!

dipgal 12-11-2012 04:52 PM

Thanks to all my supportive Juddd Buddds for your kind words! As I research and ease into a slight variation of Low Carb, Paleo and IF'ing, I always have *coming back to full fledged JUDDD* in the back of my mind. It just makes so much sense... For now, I just can't spend half my days unhappy, even if it's only temporary until the magic kicks in.. *Live for today* is kinda my motto. I was never good at thinking about the "rainy day".. :dunno:

Librarygirl 12-11-2012 05:02 PM

Good luck, Judy!! People have success with all kinds of WOE. It just needs to fit your lifestyle, so I'm glad you're trying something you think will be better for YOU. At least you aren't giving up completely on weight-loss, and that's the main reason most of us are here. Let us know how it goes, ok?

Luv2Eat 12-11-2012 07:23 PM

Good luck to you, Judy :hugs:
Although JUDDD is simple, I do consider it to be a bit extreme and one must be in the right mental mindset to pull it off. It sounds like you need an intermediate step, side step or perhaps, another path. If/when you decide to try JUDDD again, we'll be here for you :shake:

garnet10 12-12-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom23kids (Post 16128018)
I've done everything from primal eating to being a vegetarian, and just about everything in between :laugh: I do think we have to try several woes to see which one is a good fit for our personalities/lifestyles etc. Good luck as you continue your weight loss journey :hugs:

:goodpost:

garnet10 12-12-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipgal (Post 16127698)
JUDDD isnt for me at the moment.. I think I need to ease into it. Too many feelings of deprivation and woe is me, is not good for my mental health. After I weighed myself at the end of the 2nd week and found that I had gained pound after starving 3 of the prior 7 days I knew that I needed to approach this a different way. So, after stuffing myself silly for the last 3 days, and after reading a lot about the various types of Intermittent Fasting on the internet, I am making a new plan..

Ive been reading on the forums about a new book coming out tomorrow The Perfect Health Diet. I pre-ordered it and will get it downloaded on my Kindle by tomorrow. Its got a LC (but not VLC)/moderate protein/high fat mix basically a paleo template and advocates one 24 hour fast per week. I intend to work harder at eliminating all the processed food from my diet (so Paleo is a good thing!) and I am going to aim to work towards two 24 hour fasts a week. To do this I am going to use a version of MUDDD for the next few weeks including the weeks of Christmas and New Years, and will tailor make my days to fit my social activities for the week. I live for fun, and refuse to give that up even for better health. I hope the day comes when I dont equate fun = food/drink.. but, for now they are one in the same.

In doing my reading, I know that I want the magic of IF to work for me. However, when I suffer (by being hungry) I tend to rebel. I learned that I wont die if I am hungry, its only a feeling.. But, still it triggers negative emotions that I have not been able to talk myself out of. Ill check in here from time to time and hope to rejoin you full time one of these days. Keep up the great work everyone, thanks for the great support and have a wonderful holiday season!! You're all THE BEST!!!

dipgal, I have been "trying" JUDDD for months unsuccessfully (after a year of maintaining a 50 pound weight loss), and only recently figured out what I need to do. (no starch/no sugar on the Up Days--only have bread/pasta once a week, which is how I maintained in the first place). There is a lot of information on the web about lectins in wheat, in particular, which I think explains why grains are so fattening for some of us.

The hardest thing about JUDDD is how SLOWLY the weight comes off. When I was doing hCG, although there were times I felt deprived, the weight comes off so quickly in the first week or so, it was VERY encouraging. Of course, the very low calorie diet and Simeon's protocol is very restrictive, but I can't tell you the glee I felt when I lost 7 pounds in the first week or so of the diet. (Average weight loss is 0.5 to 1 pound per day over the course of the diet, so the weight loss is slows down after that first week. After the first 6 week course I started doing only 3 week courses.) And the blessed thing is how little you need to eat to feel full once you lose weight this way. I think it really does change your setpoint.

I hope you find what works for you--and you will! When I slowly put on 50 pounds after I turned 38, I thought it was my destiny to be plus-size since my mother and both my aunts were overweight. But it is NOT your destiny! Best of luck to you.

dipgal 12-12-2012 08:25 AM

Thanks again ladies! Garnet, the grains did pop back into my diet on the Up Days, and that could have been a factor in both not losing the second week, AND the hunger on the Down Days. I think I was trying to change too many things at once, and that coupled with massive hunger just was not a good mix. I see so many people here have luck with HCG - I just can't imagine that level of deprivation, and then keeping it off...

In reading my new book mentioned previously, and reading more about Paleo, I am going to truly eliminate all grains and legumes and eat low carb, but not very low carb. I'm going to shoot for approx. 50-75 total (not net) carbs - mostly from veggies, a tiny bit of berries and maybe some starchy veggies or sweet potato every so often. I am waiting to eat my breakfast so that I won't have more than an 8 hour eating window.. and slowly try to make that less... with the occasional 24 hour fast.

Kissa 12-12-2012 08:33 AM

I love the sound of your new plan Judy. You are going to get there.

SoHappy 12-12-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garnet10 (Post 16131992)
..........The hardest thing about JUDDD is how SLOWLY the weight comes off..........

Except, JUDDD isn't a *crash* diet, as in an ongoing period of fasting, so you wouldn't expect the type of weight loss that occurs from extended periods of very low calories.

Except that Dawn has just reported that her one year of JUDDD has given her very nearly 100 pounds lost on JUDDD, and that's only from Down Days... with the Up Days eating any kinds of foods in the world that she wanted! She only dieted half of the time of her weight loss period, which I think is really a funny thing, when you stop to think about it, because so often we only follow our diet half the time anyway, doing it sometimes and then quitting and eating off plan or too many carbs or too many calories or whatever... and we DON'T lose that kind of weight. But Dawn did, because this diet plan is exactly the kind you *go on and off of* so to speak. :laugh:

Librarygirl 12-12-2012 12:51 PM

:goodpost: It's really a wonderful WOE!!!

garnet10 12-12-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 16132325)
Except, JUDDD isn't a *crash* diet, as in an ongoing period of fasting, so you wouldn't expect the type of weight loss that occurs from extended periods of very low calories.

You misinterpreted what I wrote--I never said I "expected" the type of weight loss that I had with hCG. I said the slow weight loss was the hardest thing about JUDDD.

Shari4 12-12-2012 11:38 PM

Good luck, Judy! I wish you all the best! :hugs:

KeirasMom 12-13-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 16132325)
Except, JUDDD isn't a *crash* diet, as in an ongoing period of fasting, so you wouldn't expect the type of weight loss that occurs from extended periods of very low calories.

Except that Dawn has just reported that her one year of JUDDD has given her very nearly 100 pounds lost on JUDDD, and that's only from Down Days... with the Up Days eating any kinds of foods in the world that she wanted! She only dieted half of the time of her weight loss period, which I think is really a funny thing, when you stop to think about it, because so often we only follow our diet half the time anyway, doing it sometimes and then quitting and eating off plan or too many carbs or too many calories or whatever... and we DON'T lose that kind of weight. But Dawn did, because this diet plan is exactly the kind you *go on and off of* so to speak. :laugh:

For me, the weight has come off more quickly and more steadily with JUDDD than with any other plan I've tried. I got lucky, I guess, and found my sweet spot pretty early. I also took a couple of mini "maintenance breaks" and have dealt with some health issues along the way, so I'm counting my lucky stars and loving the JUDDD life.

It's not for everyone, though, and we all have to find what works for us. I'm just so grateful for JUDDD and for all the support here. I wish everyone could have the success and speed of loss they desire from whatever plan they choose to follow. Sort of like a blanket "world peace" wish, I guess. :D

sunday 12-13-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16134297)
Sort of like a blanket "world peace" wish, I guess. :D

I love this. :love:

Judy, one other thought, and I will have to dig this up because I posted it in the Benefits thread, is that women who are peri and menopausal don't always have weight loss with ADF/IF. :sad: They struggle and the research shows that they are receiving benefits of fasting, but not necessarily weight loss. On the other hand, men have not had this issue and lose weight effortlessly on IF. :p

stephdray 12-13-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16129184)
Sorry to see you go Judy.:hugs: I do soooo understand though. If you could lose weight by complaining, I'd be a stick!:hyst: I really felt that I would be doing a post like this one this week, but I stuck it out and today was the best DD ever! JB's tried to tell me, but only experience can do that, as I found out. I believe you would come to love this WOE if you could stay with it a bit longer. However, I do understand and like Pat said, if everybody could or would do JUDDD, they would all be here and they're not. I hope you find what FITS you!!! Please come back and let us know how you are.:hugs:

Cinds

:goodpost:

I want to echo everything said above but add that if I had not vowed to myself that I would give JUDDD two weeks, I would have bailed. It's only my very stubborn commitment if I make one that kept me holding on. And then it got awesome.

jem51 12-15-2012 04:20 PM

I don't know about the slow weight loss thing.

JUDDD can be fast or slow depending on how you work it.
Some of us cannot handle real low DD (including me, except on occasion), and overeating regularly on UD can be an issue.

There are so many options here and losing is better that stalling even if it is not fast.
But I believe that JUDDD works better than IF....Of course IMHO.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM.