Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandc90
Whew, that was no fun, first DD

I've committed to this for two weeks but I sure hope it gets a lot easier as my first DD was no fun, although I'm proud of myself for sticking it out in spite of headache, nausea, and insomnia. I'm already dreading tomorrow though.

I ended up taking sleeping pills and some anti-nausea meds just to sleep. Woke up weak so fixed myself a giant breakfast right away. Mmmm.
tandc90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandc90 View Post
I've committed to this for two weeks but I sure hope it gets a lot easier as my first DD was no fun, although I'm proud of myself for sticking it out in spite of headache, nausea, and insomnia. I'm already dreading tomorrow though.

I ended up taking sleeping pills and some anti-nausea meds just to sleep. Woke up weak so fixed myself a giant breakfast right away. Mmmm.
What did you eat on your DD? How many calories did you consume? Did you drink lots of water? Maybe we can help you tweak what you did, so you don't have problems next time
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Established

Also, make sure to look through the stickied thread 'DD staples', for low calorie ideas. DDs really do have an entire different food system than your UDs. Every calorie counts so you want to get the most food you can, for those calories For instance-chicken broth is filling and is only 10 calories! There are also canned light soups out there that range from 60-70 calories. Hebrew National makes a 97% fat free hot dog for 45 calories-two of them with mustard, a calorie free condiment, is pretty filling and feels like you're eating a meal etc etc. The first couple weeks on JUDDD you'll really be playing around with your food choices and eating schedule for your DDs, but once you figure out what works for you it's smooth sailing from there-and it's even kind of fun
Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
What did you eat on your DD? How many calories did you consume? Did you drink lots of water? Maybe we can help you tweak what you did, so you don't have problems next time
What mom23kids said!!!

First DDs can be a bit unpleasant. But they should not produce those results!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Honey, honey, honey! Yes, listen to the others, and remember, the first DDs are a shock to the system. They can SUCK symptomatically. So we do everything we can to make them easier while our bodies adjust.
If I had one wish it would be that the skinny/healthy gods send you the stamina and results to pursue this for a month or two. Two weeks'll just be getting you beyond the hardest part of all this.
I hope for all good things for you.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Flossyliz
Stats: 150/138/125lbs 61yrs 5'2" couch potato
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: August 27 2012
That was a tough one!

Make sure you eat lots of good wholesome stuff on your UDs, that should help you sail through the DDs.
Drinking plenty of water is crucial too, as you will probably be detoxing like mad on DDs.

Hope tomorrow goes much better. It does get easier.
Flossyliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
What's on *your* DD grocery list?

Maybe this link will help you prepare for upcoming DDs.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/???/140 5'4" 48 yrs
WOE: HDE/JUDDD/Lowish Carb
I'm sorry your first DD was so hard. They do get easier! I know that's hard to believe coming out of one that bad, but they really do. I agree with Kristin, and hope you will be able to do this for a month or two before you decide. The benefits of this WOE are so astounding, it's worth the struggle in the beginning. But your symptoms are pretty extreme. It's even possible that they're not JUDDD related. I mean, we all have a day every now and then when we feel awful. Maybe the DD exacerbated it. Who knows. At any rate, fuel up with nutritious, but also satisfying to you foods today on your UD. Make sure you eat up to your UD calories. And hopefully tomorrow will be much easier for you.

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Tandc
My reading glasses were on cockeyed I guess while reading your post title.
Looked o me like
Whew that was so fun, first DD.
I thought that's different!
Straightening my glasses to re read it.
now "that's more like it."

Truly sorry our feeling bad.
We all re thinking of u, and sending JUDDD love out.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for the suggestions and links and support. I probably didn't drink enough water. I also didn't realize two weeks wasn't enough. I'll extend it to a month and reassess things at that time.

Here's what I ate and any suggestions appreciated!

Breakfast - 1 egg, 1 sausage patty
Lunch - 2 cups of salad (lettuce, cuke, carrots) w/ 1 1/5 oz chicken breast and vinegar
Dinner - 3 oz chicken breast, 1/4 au gratin potatoes
Snack - 1/3 banana, dill gherkins and some pickle juice

I was shooting for around 500 and probably went a bit over with that 1/3 of the banana.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by tandc90; 12-08-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Your menu looks good to me, and if you're anywhere even within the realm of 500 cals for your first DD, you've done better than many of us who had to work our way down from higher cal DDs. I think sometimes it might just be a matter of our bodies adjusting to the DD eating and should get better.

Oh, also suggest that aside from drinking water that you make sure your electrolytes levels are also good. Less food consumed is less minerals for your body, and if it happens to cause an electrolyte imbalance, that tends to cause headaches/dizzyness/nausea for me.

Lots of luck to you, and I hope these DDs get better for you soon!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Established

Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions and links and support. I probably didn't drink enough water. I also didn't realize two weeks wasn't enough. I'll extend it to a month and reassess things at that time.

Here's what I ate and any suggestions appreciated!

Breakfast - 1 egg, 1 sausage patty
Lunch - 2 cups of salad (lettuce, cuke, carrots) w/ 1 1/5 oz chicken breast and vinegar
Dinner - 3 oz chicken breast, 1/4 au gratin potatoes
Snack - 1/3 banana, dill gherkins and some pickle juice

I was shooting for around 500 and probably went a bit over with that 1/3 of the banana.

Any suggestions?
Most of the things you ate were higher calorie items, like the sausage, potatoes and chicken. I'd try and find some lighter calorie items to include next time. I always figure out my DD food plan the night before, so I already know ahead of time what I'll be eating and what the calories will be
Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
My first DD was very rough also so I feel your pain! I almost gave up after that because it was SO hard and I felt so lethargic and weak. BUT I am so glad I hung in there! The next DD wasn't nearly as bad and then it got progressively easier from there. Now I can do as low as 200, no problem. Me--the girl who thought she was dying on the first DD! lol I think like other people said, it was an initial shock to my system and I never let myself feel true hunger before so it was very unpleasant at first. But trust me, it will get easier. If I can do it, I know you can. Hang in there--you can do it!
Lyric's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Quote:
1/4 au gratin potatoes
1/3 banana

Any suggestions?
These carbs would give me an awful DD, too. The more carbs, the harder it is to get through the day. This is my experience.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenericstewart View Post
These carbs would give me an awful DD, too. The more carbs, the harder it is to get through the day. This is my experience.
I agree with the carbs. Because it is so little calories, try eating some protein every couple of hours. That really helped me!

As well, if you are experiencing such effects, you can try to build up to DD's. So week 1 - try 800 calorie DD, week 2- 600 calorie week 3 - 500 calorie. And see how you feel

Stay with it!!! Soon you will be amazed of how easy and worthwhile this WOE is!! ENJOY YOUR UP DAY!!!!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
Sorry to hear that it was difficult!

It could be a blood sugar issue. Depending on what your former eating plan/habits were, and especially if you have a fair amount of weight to lose, you may have some issues like insulin resistance and it may take a while for your body to adjust.

Or it could always be something else - I'm not a doctor or anything. However I second the suggestion of avoiding sugars on DD's, for now anyway.

Anyway, I'm sure the next one will be easier!
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Tandc90~ I'm so sorry your first DD's have been difficult. I was too big a wimp to brave the less than 500 cals for the first 2 weeks and ate somewhere around 600-700 the first 2 weeks..it was a far cry from what I'd been eating so I figured it was forward progress LOL ... Today marks the end of my 6th week and it hasn't been until this past week that I have not been absolutely starved on my DD's. You've gotten some great advice here, and the links to the dd foods etc are extremely helpful. Hang in there, hon, it does get better!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes- I agree that I would have a dreadful DD if I ate a banana- I'm not low carb- not by a long shot, but bananas and pancakes do me in for some reason.

DD lifesavers for me have been:
Celery with 0 cal or low cal dip
Sliced cucumber with SF rice vinegar
wasa light crackers and laughing cow light cheese
PB2 and Kim's Deli Pops or Kim's Magic Pops.

I'll try to post another link which was helpful in a bit.

It does get easier- really- much, much, easier... dare I say pleasant!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

What is the most bang for 100 calories?

This thread has some great ideas for DD.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! The potatoes and bananas were at the end of the day, long after I'd begun to feel bad so I'm not sure that's the problem. Unless I'm missing something...??

I do plan on eating more protein throughout the day tomorrow and drinking a lot of water. I'm also going to have SF jello, broth, herb tea and lots of water. I think I'll also up my calories a bit if I begin to feel awful again and plan on just working my way down as time goes by.

Carly, thanks for that thread, I'll check it out.

I'm enthusiastic about this WOE because it was so wonderful eating anything today.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdjade
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: LC 10-2011, JUDDD 04-01-2012
Just wanted to chime in and say and ! DDs get much easier as you go. I recommend reading thru this forum and experimenting with different food options to find what works for you. I typically don't eat my first calories until late in the day which helps me a lot. Good luck!
sdjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
Established

Quote:
Thanks everyone! The potatoes and bananas were at the end of the day, long after I'd begun to feel bad so I'm not sure that's the problem. Unless I'm missing something...??

I do plan on eating more protein throughout the day tomorrow and drinking a lot of water. I'm also going to have SF jello, broth, herb tea and lots of water. I think I'll also up my calories a bit if I begin to feel awful again and plan on just working my way down as time goes by.

Carly, thanks for that thread, I'll check it out.

I'm enthusiastic about this WOE because it was so wonderful eating anything today.
This is definitely ok to do-some people find that they do better with a bit more calories, especially in the beginning!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
It took me up until yesterday (1 month) to have a good DD. I had some that were better than others over the course of this month, but my first really good DD, as in one where I felt wonderful, energetic and happy to NOT be eating was yesterday. If my experience is anywhere near normal for this WOE, I would suggest giving it more than 2 weeks.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2yorkies
Stats: 195.8/142/?? age 57 - 5'2
WOE: lo cal-lo carb....now JUDDD
Start Date: 3/18/12...JUDDD - 12/10/12
Yesterday was my first DD. I thought it was going really well, but wow I was so hungry at bedtime! I had a hard time falling asleep because my stomach was growling bigtime!

Really enjoying today's UD!

Peggy
2yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yorkies View Post
Yesterday was my first DD. I thought it was going really well, but wow I was so hungry at bedtime! I had a hard time falling asleep because my stomach was growling bigtime!

Really enjoying today's UD!

Peggy
You might want to try a serving of chicken broth close to bedtime-I always have some on hand if I get hungry at night. I just have a generic store brand and it's only 10 calories for 1 cup. I put it in a coffee cup and nuke it, and then drink it
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 2yorkies
Stats: 195.8/142/?? age 57 - 5'2
WOE: lo cal-lo carb....now JUDDD
Start Date: 3/18/12...JUDDD - 12/10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
You might want to try a serving of chicken broth close to bedtime-I always have some on hand if I get hungry at night. I just have a generic store brand and it's only 10 calories for 1 cup. I put it in a coffee cup and nuke it, and then drink it
I have some packets of low sodium chicken broth. I'll try that!

Thanks!

Peggy
2yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Yes please drink something, broth does give your stomach big hug.
It reminds me of the jingle Penny sings to Sheldon Cooper. "Soft kitty"
The Big Bang theory.
I almost roll off the sofa watching that show.
We tape it. So always handy.
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: stephdray
Stats: 290/248/250
WOE: Moderate Carb JUDDD (Lost first 4 lbs on WW)
Start Date: 7/4/2012 -- 42 lbs lost total
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyric's Mom View Post
My first DD was very rough also so I feel your pain! I almost gave up after that because it was SO hard and I felt so lethargic and weak. BUT I am so glad I hung in there! The next DD wasn't nearly as bad and then it got progressively easier from there. Now I can do as low as 200, no problem. Me--the girl who thought she was dying on the first DD! lol I think like other people said, it was an initial shock to my system and I never let myself feel true hunger before so it was very unpleasant at first. But trust me, it will get easier. If I can do it, I know you can. Hang in there--you can do it!
I echo everything she said. I was in horrible pain the first DD. My stomach was cramping. I was a total wreck. It doesn't even seem possible now, but I'm so very grateful I stuck with it because they really do get so much easier, and sometimes they are even easy now. It's this thing you are doing for yourself right now, kind of like surgery. Get it over with and it'll be smooth sailing once you're in the recovery room.
stephdray is offline   Reply With Quote