Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KatinaZ25
Headaches on Atkins.... Need something new

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for about 2 weeks now. I'm thinking about starting JUDDD but worried like most of you were when you started. My problem is that I have been doing Atkins for 2 weeks now and I've had a massive headache everyday. I've lost 7 lbs. so that's good but I don't think I can continue with low carbs with these headaches. My question is, did you all experience any physical discomfort other than hunger when you initially started this plan?

Thanks in advance!

Katina
KatinaZ25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I had headaches on my first two DDs and was feeling discouraged. But then someone gave me the advice that eating the 'normal' three meals a day schedule might be triggering it. I started eating/drinking something (a small portion, like a serving of light soup), every one-two hours and it was a total transformation-no headaches at all, and now I actually look forward to my DDs Now for others, one larger meal everyday works for them-you just need to play around with it.

I've been doing JUDDD since November 7 and I absolutely love it When I started I tried doing lc too, but after a couple weeks decided to start eating carbs again. Some do lc and JUDDD, while others do just JUDDD. Again, you just need to experiment with what works for you. That really is the great thing about this woe-it's very flexible and you really can customize it to work with your body/lifestyle
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mssarge
Stats: 220/160/145
WOE: JUDDD and moderate carbs
Start Date: 6/1/2012
Actually, no, I've not experienced any such problems with JUDDD, but others will chime in with their tales, too. Sounds like your body has been adjusting to the low carb lifestyle by giving you the headaches...have you been drinking enough water? That's one of the big problems with people going through induction and having their body protesting one way or another...a lot of people experience the Atkins flu-like symptoms so a lot of folks do have difficulty adjusting to this woe.

You've done amazing in just two weeks, it shows you're really sticking to the plan. Why give up something that's working so well when with a little time, your headaches may stop. Are they still as bad as when the first started? Worse?

Would be glad to add another JUDDD BUDDD, and I wish you well no matter which you decide....good luck.

Set a goal; Create an action plan; Follow the plan

Plan or Avoid or Plan to Avoid

Patience and Persistence not perfection

Last edited by Mssarge; 12-07-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Mssarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Sara and Mary, thanks for your replies! I appreciate hearing about your experiences. I tarted Atkins to jump start me into a weight loss plan because I've lost about 80 in the past with it before and have managed to keep it off, thankfully. Unfortunately, I got tired of not having carbs and stopped and went to weight watchers thinking that would be better. It was not. I lost weight but quickly got tired of counting points.

I went back to Atkins only because its worked in the past. But these constant headaches are excruciating. After doing Atkins the last thine, I never truly went back to eating "white" anything.

JUDDD intrigues me because of the every other day mentality of dieting while not giving up foods I enjoy.

I go back and forth on whether to start or continue with Atkins.

Katina
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I had some yucky DDs early on, but how quickly they are forgotten and replaced with incredibly energy, alertness and sense of wellbeing.
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rayne_W
Stats: 255/229.4/140 5'6" (12.5" lost)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10-2-12 (LC) 11-18-12 (JUDDD)
I've had headaches on some of my DDs, but a little bite to eat, lots of water, and extra strength tylenol **usually** do the trick. Today was another story, but I think it was due to barometric pressure changes.
Rayne_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
This may not apply to you at all, but I always have migraines on low carb but the actual culprit is all of the dairy that is encouraged. As you know, dairy is a major cornerstone of the low carb WOE, but unfortunately, dairy is a well known trigger for migraines. Believe me, after 14 years of chronic migraines, I am very knowledgeable about possible triggers. Try cutting back on the dairy and see if you improve.

Hope you beat the headaches......
Laura
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Sorry you've been having such bad headaches. I didn't have any real problems when I started JUDDD. I came off Atkins Induction levels too, but I'd been on it for about 6 months at that point. I still love Atkins and what is has done for me recently, and in the past. I would never, NEVER want to discourage anyone from trying JUDDD, but it sounds like Atkins is working very well for you. Congrats on the 7 pounds, by the way! You may be about to turn the corner on the headaches. It's probably induction flu, or detoxing. Are you sure you want to switch when it's working so well?

I get that the headaches are a big factor. So if you decide to join us here, just know that unless you're planning to continue limiting your carbs while you JUDDD, you'll be causing your body to make another big adjustment by adding carbs back in.

However, this time of year is a wonderful time to JUDDD. You don't have to deny yourself holiday treats, parties, etc. Just as long as you stick with the calorie restrictions, you can have anything you want! Starting Atkins is tough this time of year! My hat is off to you for doing that!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I had a kind of low-grade hunger for a few weeks. NBD. No other symptoms or problems.

As an experiment, if you raise your carbs by 50 or 100, does the headache calm down? Because, as has been pointed out - there are a heck of a lot of things that may be causing it.

That being said, I am a huge proponent of JUDDD. Almost any WOE, definitely including LC or modified higher-ish carb LC, fits into it's DD/UD framework.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I was fine from day 1 although I was still LC for a couple of weeks.

I started in Oct 2011 and the joy of the holidays was so wonderful after 10 years of Atkins.

I think Atkins is a wonderful plan and it helped me lose wonderfully. But JUDDD allows me to live a normal life.

Whatever you choose to do I think you have done great already.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thanks!!!

I appreciate all of your comments and I really do enjoy reading all of your thoughts and experiences.

I do think that dairy does have something to do with my migraines. I am eating much more than before I started Atkins probably because I felt like that was my option to get in any "good" tasting foods.

Its funny but last night I had a baked sweet potato and I felt so much better! I even weighed a lb lighter this morning, which I'm sure is not an idicator of anything other than daily weight fluxuations.

I think I may try JUDDD for a week or two and see how it goes. Like I said, it might be just that NO carb isn't the right plan for me but keeping the every other day "low carb" option would be ok.

If I feel that JUDDD isn't right for me then I think I'll end up going back to Atkins since it has worked for me in the past. I'm not usually a yo yo dieter, infact, I really hate dieting! What I want is a way of life eating plan that I know that I can stick to and know that if I mess up one day I wont be sabotaging myself.

Katina
Old 12-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #12

A week is asking a lot, remember that you are only dieting half the time. I wish you would consider 2 weeks, it is the minimum you need to get the sirtuin started really.

Glad you felt better after your sweet potato.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
A week is asking a lot, remember that you are only dieting half the time. I wish you would consider 2 weeks, it is the minimum you need to get the sirtuin started really.

Yes- a bare minimum of 2 weeks- I think most of us start to really feel the benefits around 4 weeks and like Cindy said- you will only be "dieting" half the time!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinaZ25 View Post
I appreciate all of your comments and I really do enjoy reading all of your thoughts and experiences.

I do think that dairy does have something to do with my migraines. I am eating much more than before I started Atkins probably because I felt like that was my option to get in any "good" tasting foods.

Its funny but last night I had a baked sweet potato and I felt so much better! I even weighed a lb lighter this morning, which I'm sure is not an idicator of anything other than daily weight fluxuations.

I think I may try JUDDD for a week or two and see how it goes. Like I said, it might be just that NO carb isn't the right plan for me but keeping the every other day "low carb" option would be ok.

If I feel that JUDDD isn't right for me then I think I'll end up going back to Atkins since it has worked for me in the past. I'm not usually a yo yo dieter, infact, I really hate dieting! What I want is a way of life eating plan that I know that I can stick to and know that if I mess up one day I wont be sabotaging myself.

Katina
I had headaches and nausea the first few weeks LCing too, and was told it was sugar withdrawal...it did pass, but I started JUDDD so I could eat carbs again. I have gotten headaches with JUDDD too, but I think it could be dehydration.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Yes- a bare minimum of 2 weeks- I think most of us start to really feel the benefits around 4 weeks and like Cindy said- you will only be "dieting" half the time!

Thanks again!! Ok. I'll give it a full month to really make a determination. Just out of curiosity, did you start in on an UD or DD? I guess it doesn't matter but I want to do this right.

You all have been very helpful!!

Katina
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I had headaches and nausea the first few weeks LCing too, and was told it was sugar withdrawal...it did pass, but I started JUDDD so I could eat carbs again. I have gotten headaches with JUDDD too, but I think it could be dehydration.
Yeah, I think I'd like to occasionally have "good" carbs or even "bad" ones and still feel like I haven't royally messed up! LOL
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I started JUDDD on a DD, because I was having UD's every day until then, lol. I guess I didn't feel I was really starting until I did a DD.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

I really don't remember which I started with- I was doing very low cal/ low carb before JUDDDing so I probably picked an UD to get a little fuel going. I stayed low carb for first month and then never looked back
Old 12-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #19

An UD is the recommended choice, but many of us were over eating already, lol.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Ok. Looks like I'm starting with nd UD tomorrow. First DD will be Tuesday. I appreciate all your help! You all are amazing!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SICCHI
Stats: 149/138/130
WOE: FAST-5
Start Date: 29/8/12
It really can take some time to adjust, I remember how cold and tired I was. The main thing is to push through. And you know what... if you get to the end of the days and need something, have it. Save for it. Get through your DD as best you can and enjoy your UD's!
You will find in time, it WILL get easier, we promise
SICCHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:58 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
My rule of thumb if I feel the urge for something specific at the end of DD is, drink a large glass of water (for me, thirst masquerades as hunger) and wait twenty minutes. If I still want it (let's say a cookie ) I eat half (or a few bites) then wait another twenty minutes. I rarely want more and so, do little or no DD damage.

For me, twenty minute increments seem to work. While you are experimenting, find your 'time'.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote