Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<275/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
One thing you may want to consider too is this: Are you just wanting to lose some weight? Or are you doing this to also turn on the SIRT1 'Skinny Gene' and gain the various benefits from fasting? ... I am a little suspicious of that DD calorie level being able to turn on the sirtuins...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
I think, Pat, that I still want to get that SIRT-1 thing going, but obviously my primary goal is to lose weight. Not just "some" weight, but a lot of weight. I haven't had success at just counting calories (was unable to sustain), nor LC, so yes I want to do JUDDD. If I can't manage the DD's, then JUDDD will be a failure too though. So far, I have been white knuckling it all the way. Not pleasant in the least. I may, after futher thought, keep the fat fast at 500 cals.
I've read many times around here (I think from Yam-Yam) that Dr J has said even 75%-calorie-DDs will activate the SIRTs. Also, there's an analogy that they "build up", like water dripping into a bucket, rather than being instantly switched off by one or two high-calorie meals (hence, perhaps, the JUDDD Vacation Magic, when people eat whatever they want, come home, find they haven't gained more than a pound or three, get right back onto rotations and back to losing weight...it takes a couple of weeks for the "magic bucket" to empty. )

If you do the Fat Fast, you may find that while you start at higher calories, you may be able to work down to lower calories--if you feel that is where the magic happens--as your body adjusts to feeling more satiated on small, calorie-dense foods (as opposed to needing huge bowls of salads, cabbage, shirataki noodles, etc, to feel full).
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I've read many times around here (I think from Yam-Yam) that Dr J has said even 75%-calorie-DDs will activate the SIRTs. Also, there's an analogy that they "build up", like water dripping into a bucket, rather than being instantly switched off by one or two high-calorie meals (hence, perhaps, the JUDDD Vacation Magic, when people eat whatever they want, come home, find they haven't gained more than a pound or three, get right back onto rotations and back to losing weight...it takes a couple of weeks for the "magic bucket" to empty. )

If you do the Fat Fast, you may find that while you start at higher calories, you may be able to work down to lower calories--if you feel that is where the magic happens--as your body adjusts to feeling more satiated on small, calorie-dense foods (as opposed to needing huge bowls of salads, cabbage, shirataki noodles, etc, to feel full).
Fat is higher calories, and I have always let myself have higher on FF DD. Also, I really, really, love eggs!

Plus, I have been having 700-800 DD on the weekend for quite some time. Hasn't stopped the sirtuin.

Last edited by sunday; 12-08-2012 at 12:50 PM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #33
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I like these thoughts Jenny and LCG!! Feeling good today so far, and have only had coffee and bacon. I have my two fat bombs waiting to be consumed beside me. I like them best about 10 min out of the freezer. I think I may have actually found what I need for DD. Witwoooooooooo!!!

Went shopping for a little while today and browsed the clothing racks...even at 50% off, too much to pay for something that's going to be too big soon. Ended up buying two pairs of booties...really cute and high heel! Did not think of food one time while shopping...note to self: DD may become expensive!

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*
Librarygirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

Oh, that would be wonderful. They didn't get 'turned on' for me when I was starting out and eating at that higher Down Day calorie number. I suppose I was usually in the area of 800 to 1000 to begin with because I just couldn't seem to hack that lower number. LOL I had to work my way down to it. But I had to eat at the lower 500-calorie number before I could tell I was feeling different and the SIRT-1 was going good and started churning away. I suppose that's where I got the idea of why he tells us to stick to 500-calorie days in the beginning. For me, the difference was the low calorie number that would actually *activate* SIRT-1 as opposed to the somewhat higher number that will keep it going now, once truly activated and going strong.

But once the SIRT-1 was going strong, I can easily keep it going on higher calorie DDs. So 1000 calorie DDs would keep it going for me, easily enough, although I like lower calorie DDs usually, just because I like up Up Days to be roomy enough to be really UP.

Maybe this varies among us? And maybe based on how many UD calories we are allotted? Just a thought.

But it will be wonderful if she can get the SIRT-1 going at 1000 calorie DDs. If that had worked for me, I might just have never done the written JUDDD Down Days at all.

Last edited by SoHappy; 12-08-2012 at 03:20 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Hope I don't get to 1000 calories, lol. I am having a chicken breast (4 oz) and 5 brussel sprouts for dinner...will bring me to 640.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Hope I don't get to 1000 calories, lol. I am having a chicken breast (4 oz) and 5 brussel sprouts for dinner...will bring me to 640.
Woo Hoo! That is so much better than I could do when I was starting JUDDD!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #37
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you! It's the highest I've gone so far. Since it's the weekend I may have a glass of wine too. Not chocolate wine, lol.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

Pat, do you have a journal or blog? I'm wondering when you started JUDDD and how long it took you to lose/how much/etc. Is that nosey?
Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #39

Quote:
Pat, do you have a journal or blog? I'm wondering when you started JUDDD and how long it took you to lose/how much/etc. Is that nosey?
LOLing. No, I don't journal or blog. I spend too much time online anyway, and periodically pull away and determine I'm not going to sit in front of the computer so much, and certainly not spend as much time at LCF, as this site is addicting, and I can spend w-a-a-a-y too much of my time here. And then the pull drags me back again.

As to my weight at anytime, I don't really discuss that. It was embarrassing for me, I can tell you that! I was plenty obese. Not morbidly obese yet, but a ways out from merely being ' overweight ' if you know what I mean. My avi picture is me, as I am now. So down in weight and happy enough with my size now. I could definitely lose more. But at age 69, the facial wrinkles are already enough that I don't want to deflate any further. I do have some lose and baggy skin, some baggy upper arm and belly skin. That's not ever going to go away, I know that. But.. at my age I'm not disappointed that the baggy skin is going to keep me from wearing a bikini!!!

I gain a bit and lose a bit. My weight is never the same from day to day to day, but I don't worry about that. If I get a bit more than I'm happy with, I tighten down on my JUDDD. I prefer to hold my JUDDD Down Days to a lower calorie number (usually) than I'd have to in maintenance, but that's only because I want all the help I can get from the SIRT-1, etc. and especially because I want to eat anything and everything on my Up Days and just not worry about whether I go way overboard or not. I'm only 5'-3"... and I always have been, so haven't started to shrink yet, but that doesn't allow for as many calories as I'd love to have allotted to my days. Truthfully, I can eat a day's calories in a single meal, so it's a good thing JUDDD helps me be more moderate in my portion sizes. That's another way I can have it all and not go too far overboard. If I watch the portions, I can (and DO) eat anything. I've been starting Christmas baking and the oven's been going much of the day. Not really Christmas, but one of the things DH really loves is Chocolate Brownies with walnuts in them, so we'll have that tonight with vanilla ice cream on top while we watch the Heisman presentation. Well getting off subject.

Anyway, JUDDD works and easily, usually. Eventually. For some.. right from the start. For others, not for several weeks. But it will usually make everyone who follows it SLIM. And all they have to do is, just do it. Woo Hoo!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:
I am not antsy for the magic to start really, and forgot there was such a thing, before Pat mentioned it. I'm not even sure I believe in it. I believe some people have greater control over their minds and that is what makes it possible for them to do this WOE. The only thing that I'm antsy about is getting to the place where I can be comfortable with eod fasting. Thanks for the hug.

If I ever get the SIRT thing, I'll eat my words. Before that, I'm eating everything else.
I actually found the 500 calorie days easier when I was doing hcg. There is a very specific diet plan to follow so I didn't have to count out the calories myself, and with the hcg I really wasn't hungry at all. (Except for the very first round of hcg, I felt hunger for almost 10 days before it completely left me).

One of the weapons I use on a down day is a spinach soup for dinner (Herb Ox chicken broth with 1 package of frozen spinach). The frozen spinach is about 60 calories and I use 3 cups of broth so it is very filling--I often don't finish it.

For breakfast and lunch I concentrate on protein to hold me over. Unfortunately it's tough to add fat on a down day--it just takes up so many calories.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #41
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
LOLing. No, I don't journal or blog. I spend too much time online anyway, and periodically pull away and determine I'm not going to sit in front of the computer so much, and certainly not spend as much time at LCF, as this site is addicting, and I can spend w-a-a-a-y too much of my time here. And then the pull drags me back again.

As to my weight at anytime, I don't really discuss that. It was embarrassing for me, I can tell you that! I was plenty obese. Not morbidly obese yet, but a ways out from merely being ' overweight ' if you know what I mean. My avi picture is me, as I am now. So down in weight and happy enough with my size now. I could definitely lose more. But at age 69, the facial wrinkles are already enough that I don't want to deflate any further. I do have some lose and baggy skin, some baggy upper arm and belly skin. That's not ever going to go away, I know that. But.. at my age I'm not disappointed that the baggy skin is going to keep me from wearing a bikini!!!

I gain a bit and lose a bit. My weight is never the same from day to day to day, but I don't worry about that. If I get a bit more than I'm happy with, I tighten down on my JUDDD. I prefer to hold my JUDDD Down Days to a lower calorie number (usually) than I'd have to in maintenance, but that's only because I want all the help I can get from the SIRT-1, etc. and especially because I want to eat anything and everything on my Up Days and just not worry about whether I go way overboard or not. I'm only 5'-3"... and I always have been, so haven't started to shrink yet, but that doesn't allow for as many calories as I'd love to have allotted to my days. Truthfully, I can eat a day's calories in a single meal, so it's a good thing JUDDD helps me be more moderate in my portion sizes. That's another way I can have it all and not go too far overboard. If I watch the portions, I can (and DO) eat anything. I've been starting Christmas baking and the oven's been going much of the day. Not really Christmas, but one of the things DH really loves is Chocolate Brownies with walnuts in them, so we'll have that tonight with vanilla ice cream on top while we watch the Heisman presentation. Well getting off subject.

Anyway, JUDDD works and easily, usually. Eventually. For some.. right from the start. For others, not for several weeks. But it will usually make everyone who follows it SLIM. And all they have to do is, just do it. Woo Hoo!
I am embarrassed too at how heavy I became. I am only 5'4 and was over 200 lbs. But then it says so in my signature, so no news there, lol. So you also don't discuss how long it took, or whether you were only doing JUDDD from the start? I am sooooo excited now about the "skinny gene"! I guess I've been concentrating so hard on just *doing* JUDDD successfully, I haven't paused to think about it long-term.

Thanks for sharing! You look fantastic!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #42
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet10 View Post
I actually found the 500 calorie days easier when I was doing hcg. There is a very specific diet plan to follow so I didn't have to count out the calories myself, and with the hcg I really wasn't hungry at all. (Except for the very first round of hcg, I felt hunger for almost 10 days before it completely left me).

One of the weapons I use on a down day is a spinach soup for dinner (Herb Ox chicken broth with 1 package of frozen spinach). The frozen spinach is about 60 calories and I use 3 cups of broth so it is very filling--I often don't finish it.

For breakfast and lunch I concentrate on protein to hold me over. Unfortunately it's tough to add fat on a down day--it just takes up so many calories.
Is that chicken broth any different from any other brand? I usually buy the store brand. 10 cals a cup. I like the sound of that soup! A tsp of HWC would really make it special.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #43

Quote:
I am embarrassed too at how heavy I became. I am only 5'4 and was over 200 lbs. But then it says so in my signature, so no news there, lol. So you also don't discuss how long it took, or whether you were only doing JUDDD from the start? I am sooooo excited now about the "skinny gene"! I guess I've been concentrating so hard on just *doing* JUDDD successfully, I haven't paused to think about it long-term.

Thanks for sharing! You look fantastic!
I did low carb for years, off and on, but on for long fruitless stretches. I really, really, really love all the low carb foods allowed, like the steaks and roasts, the butter and cream, etc. etc. etc..... and I eat ALL of that stuff to this day! Woo Hoo! I never did get into the low carb alternative baking flours and sweeteners other than ground almond meal, flax meal, and Splenda. I never drank the shakes or ate the bars. I never did the soy products. Just the regular food that I could buy in my grocery store.

Well, like I said, I loved the food. But I didn't lose weight. After the water weight was gone, I just sort of bounced around but without ever really going down, down, down and not coming back up, up, up. I didn't get any appetite suppression, which would have helped, I'm sure, as.. the food is higher calorie, and without any appetite suppression, I'm sure I just plainly ate too much of it. I mean.. that's all there was. In order to keep the carbs down, I couldn't eat a lot of vegetables and fruit. And, see... I really missed the *other* vegetables and the fruit. And all of those other foods that are on the *excluded* list of No-No foods, at least until maintenance, and I couldn't even lose, let alone get to maintenance. And I just got really, really hatefully tired of the restricted diet and not losing weight on it. I probably just ate too much to lose much weight to speak of, but I came to hate it!

So then, I hung around here anyway, but mostly just *dieted* the old fashioned way, eating low calories most every day. And it did work. I did that (mostly) for several months. I lost a pretty good chunk of weight, although one of my problems (and I don't know whether it affects everyone this way) but for me, after awhile, my body gets used to the ongoing daily lowered calories, so it lowers my metabolic burn rate to that lowered calorie number. So then, what I'm taking in matches what I'm burning, and the weight loss just slows down to practically nothing. On lower calories!!! Ack! I had really sort of got in a predicament.

I truly believe that I made myself MORE carb sensitive by eating low carb for quite awhile, and then I also think I slowed my own metabolism down by cutting calories fairly low every single (mostly) day. Actually just the opposite of what I would want to happen to me.

I don't even quite remember how I found this site, whether I heard of JUDDD and came looking and found it already here, or whether I stumbled onto what was the JUDDD area at that time, a plan that was merely listed under the *Other Plans* section here at LCF.

But I came to understand real quickly that you could make your menu be whatever foods made you feel the best, gave you the best results, kept you feeling full and happy and healthy. I'm into my third year on JUDDD now and would never want to follow any other diet plan. I really appreciate being able to eat all foods, being able to adjust my eating plan so that NO Holidays or Celebrations or Festivals or Social Times need to be passed by, need to be declined or skipped or skimped at. I love that I feel better, look better, and have a body that works better these days. I am very thankful for JUDDD.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:
Is that chicken broth any different from any other brand? I usually buy the store brand. 10 cals a cup. I like the sound of that soup! A tsp of HWC would really make it special.
I just think it is really flavorful--I never need to season it. I prefer it over the boxed chicken broth brands. They are just too bland for me.
garnet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you, Pat. You really are a poster child for JUDDD in my eyes. I respect all of your advice and knowledge and know that I can always get helpful information from you. You describe my dieting to a T, although I never stuck with anything long enough to do much good. I had the most success with WW, although I only lost about 15 lbs total with that, and the weekly meetings were too stressful and expensive (for me). I loved LC too in that I could eat all the fat and cream, etc that I wanted, but I grew frustrated with substituting this and that and having to search high and low for elusive products. Plus, like you, I frankly stopped losing once the water weight was gone. I ate too much too, overall. In the scheme of things, JUDDD really is a godsend! I am so happy I found this WOE, despite my complaining, lol, I believe it will be where I stay and succeed!

Garnet, I will buy some of that chicken broth today. I am going grocery shopping later, and will put it on my list.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

, don't understand why you can't delete posts here...thought I was in my journal area and started another entry, lol....moved it.

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-09-2012 at 05:44 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wiiiifit
Stats: 20/12/8
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: Feb 2012
So, I tried a DD fat fast today. Sort of, I guess? Right now I'm at 73% fat, 27% protein and 9% carb. That doesn't add up; but without opening up the tracker again...that was my best recollection. Anyway, I am at 650 calories not 1000. Right now, I am really full. Maybe I could eat some bacon and a hard boiled egg in a couple of hours or a cream cheese, whipped cream fat bomb thing.

I was going to try a 4 day fat thing this week and if it goes well maybe continue that on Monday through Thursday until after Christmas or NYE. My original plan was to try to get to 1000 on all four days. I don't know if DD is just ingrained in my brain or what, but I'm not sure if I want to eat just for the sake of upping the number. So, do you all think it would be better to eat at 1000 on all the days or do higher and lower JUDD type days???

Last edited by wiiiifit; 12-10-2012 at 05:12 PM..
wiiiifit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I've never done a FF, but if you like doing your rotations stick with them.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #49
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiiifit View Post
So, I tried a DD fat fast today. Sort of, I guess? Right now I'm at 73% fat, 27% protein and 9% carb. That doesn't add up; but without opening up the tracker again...that was my best recollection. Anyway, I am at 650 calories not 1000. Right now, I am really full. Maybe I could eat some bacon and a hard boiled egg in a couple of hours or a cream cheese, whipped cream fat bomb thing.

I was going to try a 4 day fat thing this week and if it goes well maybe continue that on Monday through Thursday until after Christmas or NYE. My original plan was to try to get to 1000 on all four days. I don't know if DD is just ingrained in my brain or what, but I'm not sure if I want to eat just for the sake of upping the number. So, do you all think it would be better to eat at 1000 on all the days or do higher and lower JUDD type days???
Sunday is the expert on the Fat Fast. I tried it, but I don't think it will help me in the long run as much as just sticking to rotations and lower calories on DD's. I only did it once, so I can't say. Sunday said she had success with it though.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #50
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I'm having trouble finding info on what a fat fast is-can someone tell me the ins and outs of it? I'm all for throwing something new into my rotations to keep things interesting
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #51
Big Yapper!!!!

You can google it Sara. Or search on this site. It's common on the LC forum, but I was trying to adjust it to lower calories for DD's. My attempt wasn't really to speed weight loss as much as it was to overcome hunger, lol. The basic premise is fat and nothing else...HWC, eggs, mayo, fat bombs, nuts, avocados...if that gives you an idea.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

As I understand it...the Atkins version is 1000 calories per day aiming for 80 to 90 percent fat. Maximum 4 to 5 days in a row usually used as a temporary thing around these boards to break a stall.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Well, I only made it a day and a half on the fat fast. JUDDD is just more appealing to me. Maybe if I had eaten the other 300 calories, I might have been able to go further with it?? I might try a few more fat DDs since I did lose a half a pound instead of my usual one or two tenths.