Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   How long have you ever gone without weighing? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/790884-how-long-have-you-ever-gone-without-weighing.html)

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 09:52 AM

How long have you ever gone without weighing?

I went 6 years without weighing, because I knew how fat I was and I didn't want to see, lol. I also have not owned a full-length mirror in 8 years and avoid my image in long windows and glass doors. Really, really looking forward to getting my self-confidence back!!!:jumpjoy:

calichris 12-07-2012 09:59 AM

Goodness. I don't know, but months and months. Usually when I am gaining weight like crazy and in denial. :D For me, this meant I was in "What's the use ... I don't care" mode. I am so thankful to have found JUDDD, a non-painful way to get myself back on track long term. Now weighing every day (and posting here for accountability) is part of my daily routine, and I actually look forward to it. Both low and high weights inspire me to keep going.

vilanteira 12-07-2012 10:09 AM

Yep, at one point I also went years (at least 3 years) without weighing and avoiding mirrors. That was also when I gained the most weight in my entire life. I've also noticed the moment I stop weighing myself regularly is when I regain any weight that I've ever lost. Thus the nonstop regaining of weight over and over for practically two decades. Denial and letting things go are killers for me. I now weigh daily and I need it to keep me on track because I know myself too well and how easily it would be to talk myself into letting go. Even now in maintenance I've seen how easy it would be to regain it all so quickly.

Babsbabs 12-07-2012 10:23 AM

Same for me. Not weighing usually means I am in denial and I am gaining. I think stepping on the scale in the morning is my way of starting the day off with a reminder that I am going to be dedicating some effort and energy to my diet and will be mindful and aware of my choices. :)

Rayne_W 12-07-2012 10:27 AM

At least I'm not the only one! When I fell off the Atkins wagon last year in May, I glared at the scale (the all-knowing eye) and ran away. If I didn't weigh, there was no mental proof -- no LED number -- that I'd gained anything.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Getting back on that scale in October was a bucket of ice water in the face. I still hate it, but I'm a little less afraid of it.

LoCarbGal 12-07-2012 10:27 AM

Me too. Not weighing equals not caring about watching what I eat. I think I've easily done a year or two w/o weighing.

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 10:40 AM

It was probably more like 3 years...batteries went dead and I never replaced them. Been living here for 7 years and bought it after I moved here, so definitely wasn't 6 years, lol. Also had full-length mirrors at my old house before moving here, but have never wanted another one. All of it because of denial, denial, denial.

deedee 12-07-2012 10:45 AM

Way too long. When I'd gotten up to my highest weight, I'd avoid going to the doctor because I knew she was going to weigh me.

It's a battle with obsession though, as I tend to weigh myself too often when I'm trying to eat right.

Babsbabs 12-07-2012 10:57 AM

DeeDee your comment reminded me of how I found out I was over 200 pounds. I went for my doctors appointment and she said "you know your over 200 pounds, right?" :eek:Talk about denial, I hadn't even looked when they weighed me! I had to sit down I was so shocked.

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 11:02 AM

Babs, when I got to my highest weight (that I am aware of) I found out at the doctor's office too. When she moved the scale to 208 lbs I just put on my grim face and pretended it didn't matter (while blushing beet red). I cried that night. :(

deedee 12-07-2012 11:07 AM

It's funny how we all must have known we had gained weight, just from clothes being tighter or not fitting, but managed to be in denial about how bad it had gotten. I know I didn't consider myself to look like someone who was THAT heavy. Putting a number on it was a real wake-up call for me.

zipp2play 12-07-2012 11:12 AM

I am opposite of all of you. When I turned 39, I had a major life awakening. I decided that FINALLY I would not be defined as a number on the scale. At the time I was running 40+ miles a week and was certainly not anywhere near my heaviest. I was not at my lowest weight either. My scale would dictate my mood. Good or Bad! I was simply tired of thinking back on my life and it being in terms of how much I weighed. If a year (in my mind) was a good year, it was when I weighed less than XXX , bad year over XXX. Literally I chronicled my life by my SIZE. I was 39 years old, I had 2 beautiful children and a husband that loved me, NO MATTER MY SIZE and yet, in reflection, my go to was not
- when my children were born
- when I got married

@#@!# it was I weighed this or that!

That was NOT how I wanted to live. So I vowed off the scale. My clothes told me when I was up or down and I knew! Fast forward to April 18th of this year (at age 41). That is the day my DH and I started JUDDD. I did get on the scale, but I did so backwards. My DH noted the number and I never asked. We weighed once a week for several months. I even got brave and would get on the scale right, I just kept my eyes closed. Sometime in June, my DH messed up and didn't get the number cleared and I saw it. I was down 15 pounds on JUDDD and had no idea ! Now, I only weigh when I feel like it. AT MOST, once a week. That being said, I haven't got on the scale since the day before Thanksgiving. I will probably weigh again right before Christmas, but that NUMBER no longer dictates me!

Now, thanks to JUDDD I actually LOVE the number. I am only a few pounds from my goal. I do think I will get below goal and into the 150's, THANKS to JUDDD. Finally after 42 years I have figured out that I cannot out run, out move, out exercise my weight. For me, 99% of weight control/management is what I put in my mouth. I still exercise. I typically walk now and I do about 25-30 miles a week. I walk because I love how it makes me feel and I enjoy doing it. Now, I JUDDD to lose / maintain my weight.

Ok I wrote way more than I planned...SORRY

zipp2play 12-07-2012 11:14 AM

I think, all told, I went almost 3 years without weighing!

WantToBeSlim 12-07-2012 11:25 AM

When I haven't been on a diet I think probably about 2-3 years max without weighing. When dieting it's about 16 days lol.

I had never owned a full length mirror because I've always hated the way I look, well from the age of about 15ish. I eventually bought one just over 2 years ago and ever since then it's been turned around and facing/leaning against my bedroom wall so that I don't catch a glimpse of myself in it. I look forward to being confident enough to leave it the way round that it's meant to be.

Babsbabs 12-07-2012 11:30 AM

It sounds like finding what keeps us balanced is best. Somewhere perhaps in the middle between denial about the weight and the weight number overshadowing our lives. I am glad we are all finding our way to health and happiness!:heart:

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipp2play (Post 16123378)
I am opposite of all of you. When I turned 39, I had a major life awakening. I decided that FINALLY I would not be defined as a number on the scale. At the time I was running 40+ miles a week and was certainly not anywhere near my heaviest. I was not at my lowest weight either. My scale would dictate my mood. Good or Bad! I was simply tired of thinking back on my life and it being in terms of how much I weighed. If a year (in my mind) was a good year, it was when I weighed less than XXX , bad year over XXX. Literally I chronicled my life by my SIZE. I was 39 years old, I had 2 beautiful children and a husband that loved me, NO MATTER MY SIZE and yet, in reflection, my go to was not
- when my children were born
- when I got married

@#@!# it was I weighed this or that!

That was NOT how I wanted to live. So I vowed off the scale. My clothes told me when I was up or down and I knew! Fast forward to April 18th of this year (at age 41). That is the day my DH and I started JUDDD. I did get on the scale, but I did so backwards. My DH noted the number and I never asked. We weighed once a week for several months. I even got brave and would get on the scale right, I just kept my eyes closed. Sometime in June, my DH messed up and didn't get the number cleared and I saw it. I was down 15 pounds on JUDDD and had no idea ! Now, I only weigh when I feel like it. AT MOST, once a week. That being said, I haven't got on the scale since the day before Thanksgiving. I will probably weigh again right before Christmas, but that NUMBER no longer dictates me!

Now, thanks to JUDDD I actually LOVE the number. I am only a few pounds from my goal. I do think I will get below goal and into the 150's, THANKS to JUDDD. Finally after 42 years I have figured out that I cannot out run, out move, out exercise my weight. For me, 99% of weight control/management is what I put in my mouth. I still exercise. I typically walk now and I do about 25-30 miles a week. I walk because I love how it makes me feel and I enjoy doing it. Now, I JUDDD to lose / maintain my weight.

Ok I wrote way more than I planned...SORRY

In a way I was like you. I stopped weighing and stopped dieting because I decided *I* wasn't going to be defined by my weight. For once in my life I was going to eat what I wanted, when I wanted and I wasn't going to worry about every little pound. I bought beautiful clothes in the plus-size department, I told myself I looked good and I met my boyfriend (16 years younger) who thought/thinks I look great too. Having said that, I was STILL in denial. I have only just begun to admit to myself this year for the first time since I started gaining (around 60 lbs over 9 years) that I wanted to do something about it. Every time someone would talk about losing weight or trying to get healthy, I would tune out and never contribute to the conversation. I would wish them well and compliment them if they lost, but *I* was above/beyond that way of thinking. What a load of crap!!!! I was also drinking nightly and the calories had to be wayyyyy over what I should have been consuming, on top of eating all I desired. I *knew* in order to lose weight successfully, I would first have to give up the drinking (nightly), and I wasn't prepared to do that. In February of this year, I finally quit for 48 days, then 39 days, then I have gradually allowed myself to drink moderately and it has worked for me. In June I decided to start counting calories because the weight was not falling off (just because I wasn't adding in alcohol calories anymore), and lost a total of 5 lbs. It was tough and I managed to keep about 3 of those lbs off. In Sept. I joined here and started LC...fast forward to Nov. and the rest is history. That is my story, sad but true, and I'm looking forward to a brand new ME.

Sorry for the Novel!!!:hyst:

Babsbabs 12-07-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantToBeSlim (Post 16123404)
When I haven't been on a diet I think probably about 2-3 years max without weighing. When dieting it's about 16 days lol.

I had never owned a full length mirror because I've always hated the way I look, well from the age of about 15ish. I eventually bought one just over 2 years ago and ever since then it's been turned around and facing/leaning against my bedroom wall so that I don't catch a glimpse of myself in it. I look forward to being confident enough to leave it the way round that it's meant to be.

I am so sad that you feel this way about your appearance WantToBeSlim. I wish I had the words to say that would make you love the way you look. Sometimes I wish we could have the attitude that a lot of guys do and just see ourselves flaws and all as looking great! Not so easy sometimes for us women. I am glad that you have the mirror and it is in your room and I hope you can look turn it around soon and see how lovely you are inside and out I am sure.:console: