Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Question - Yesterday was my first DD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/790788-question-yesterday-my-first-dd.html)

NoOne 12-06-2012 06:40 AM

Question - Yesterday was my first DD

I had a raging headache last night, and still have it this morning. Yesterday was my first DD and I rocked it, staying within my limits. Is this normal?

Carly 12-06-2012 06:48 AM

I had some headaches in my early DDs. This definetly goes away and is replaced with DD energy. Just make sure you drink loads of water and stay hydrated. This is a bit of adjustment at first assuming you were not eating less that 500 calories every other day.

gotsomeold 12-06-2012 06:48 AM

Headache is not reported frequently, but it does happen. If it clears up on this, your first UD, then returns tomorrow, try drinking more fluids, and spread your eating out over more small meals or, if you are already eating several meals, try taking your calories up by 50 to 100 cals. Then, gradually drop them over the course of a few days (which will probably be easier to do than you think)

Or, if it is not too bad, gut through it (never my first choice :hyst:)

Congrats on rocking your first DD!

mom23kids 12-06-2012 06:55 AM

Yes, I had really bad headaches on my first two DDs and was ready to quit lol. Then I read that it's normal and I started making sure I was getting enough salt on my DDs and I haven't had a headache since :) I don't go too crazy with salt, but when I have soup/broth I always add a couple shakes. If I have a hard boiled egg, I put salt on it etc. For some reason it does the trick!

deedee 12-06-2012 06:59 AM

I think it's normal to get a headache with any new way of eating. Especially if your DD's are very low carb, which it seems some people naturally tend towards on their DD's (including me), you might have a bit of the Atkins flu going on too.

LoCarbGal 12-06-2012 07:00 AM

Sorry about that NoOne. That is no fun. I think it's probably the "yuckies" lots of us get when changing something we're doing. Like caffeine withdrawal headaches, or Induction Flu. It'll pass once you get through the initial adjustment period. You'll feel so great once your body gets accustomed to this WOE, you'll never look back!

KeirasMom 12-06-2012 07:36 AM

I agree with staying well hydrated and making sure your electrolytes are not wonky. Broth is a staple around these parts and I think it helps as long as you're not super sensitive to sodium.

route66 12-06-2012 09:08 AM

Are you a caffeine drinker? I like coffee with cream, so cut that out on DDs to spare the cals. First sign of caffeine withdrawal is killer headaches...

Eieio 12-06-2012 11:16 AM

I remember getting flu systems after about a week of first starting JUDDD

Symptom of headache only . I don't think so, not me.
But if I was to pass coffee on coffee for 24 hours. Headache galore I would have.
Good job on ur first down day.

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 07:39 AM

I had the headaches too. Now I only get the hungries. :D

stephdray 12-07-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoOne (Post 16120620)
I had a raging headache last night, and still have it this morning. Yesterday was my first DD and I rocked it, staying within my limits. Is this normal?

Yep. Totally normal. It can be more miserable than that at first. Prepare for the worst. But when it gets better it gets so much better that you will want to kiss yourself for sticking it out.

tandc90 12-07-2012 04:08 PM

Today is my first DD and I too have a headache. I've fasted in the past and always get this headache so I assume this is normal.

Carly 12-07-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephdray (Post 16123858)
Yep. Totally normal. It can be more miserable than that at first. Prepare for the worst. But when it gets better it gets so much better that you will want to kiss yourself for sticking it out.

Steph- for some reason I feel like a proud mom! I'm not a mom, but I think this is what it feels like when your kid masters something and then teaches someone else:o;)