Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Bacon, anyone? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/790786-bacon-anyone.html)

LoCarbGal 12-06-2012 06:36 AM

Bacon, anyone?

I realized this morning that I have a pound package of bacon in the fridge that MUST be cooked and eaten right away! How did I let it sit in there that long? So I'm going to cook it up this morning, but it's a DD! So, in the spirit of mono-eating hackers everywhere, today is going to be an all-bacon day for me. I think I can have several slices throughout the day, and knowing me and my relationship with bacon, I should be very satisfied.

Mmmmmmm.......bacon......

:yummy:

mom23kids 12-06-2012 06:40 AM

:yummy: My favorite way to eat bacon is cook it and put it in the fridge until it's cold, and then eat it with Italian dressing drizzled on top. Hmmm, might have to get some bacon at the store today lol.

deedee 12-06-2012 07:39 AM

Sounds like a fun DD! Love bacon.

vilanteira 12-06-2012 07:40 AM

Ooh, I've never tried an all bacon DD but do have bacon often on DDs. That combo of fat, protein and salt are really satiating especially on DDs. :yummy:

b_lou_who 12-06-2012 07:43 AM

I can eat two down days worth of calories in bacon in just one sitting. And go back for more. Wish it weren't so. Have fun with your bacon!!

JayLynn 12-06-2012 07:59 AM

A bacon DD day....sounds good to me!

LoCarbGal 12-06-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_lou_who (Post 16120817)
I can eat two down days worth of calories in bacon in just one sitting. And go back for more. Wish it weren't so. Have fun with your bacon!!

Oh yeah. I could easily eat a whole pound of bacon by myself. I'm happy to say I've never done it, but....

I've cooked it up, weighed it all in its cooked state, and I believe I can have 9 slices today for my DD. I've had 2 for breakfast, will have 2 for lunch, leaving 5 for dinner. Here we go!

DesertGurl 12-06-2012 08:22 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :yummy: Bacon!!!! :yummy:

Have fun!! :D

Joyjoy 12-06-2012 08:24 AM

Oh, yeah. I could do this one. Enjoy. :):heart:

Librarygirl 12-06-2012 08:49 AM

Sounds wonderful! The bacon I have right now is 80 calories a slice! I could have 6 slices and the day would be done. Need to buy some of that lower fat bacon...Enjoy!!!

Luv2Eat 12-06-2012 09:06 AM

:yummy:

LoCarbGal 12-06-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16121000)
Sounds wonderful! The bacon I have right now is 80 calories a slice! I could have 6 slices and the day would be done. Need to buy some of that lower fat bacon...Enjoy!!!

I've been using ******'s calculation on bacon, estimating whether thin, medium, or thick slice. But today I decided to do a double check. My package of bacon says 2 slices is 140 calories, but I believe that includes all the fat that cooks away. I blot my cooked bacon pretty well, so I don't think I'm getting all the calories - a whole bunch of them went into the grease jar!

I weighed my cooked bacon, and then used the ****** calculation for cooked bacon by ounce. I'm sure hoping it's accurate and I won't be way overeating with my 9 slices today.

mom23kids 12-06-2012 10:26 AM

Had to go buy some bacon, after reading this thread :laugh: Might have to do a bacon/egg DD tomorrow :)

sunday 12-06-2012 11:42 AM

I love bacon crumbled on top of my salad and tater soup. I found a great recipe for cauli soup that I posted awhile back, that has less calories and tastes just like tater soup. I may have to make this next week! :yummy:

svenskamae 12-06-2012 11:53 AM

I have been cooking bacon by spreading it out on a cooling rack and putting that in a big pan (9x11", like you'd make a big sheet cake or lasagne in) and baking it for about an hour at 250 degrees. No splattering and the bacon grease can be poured off for use in future cooking (like for sauteed leafy greens). I have a pound of pre-baked bacon in my fridge and I'm going to put some in a big salad for dinner. (Today's an up day for me.)

KeirasMom 12-06-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16120916)
Oh yeah. I could easily eat a whole pound of bacon by myself. I'm happy to say I've never done it, but....

I've cooked it up, weighed it all in its cooked state, and I believe I can have 9 slices today for my DD. I've had 2 for breakfast, will have 2 for lunch, leaving 5 for dinner. Here we go!

I have eaten a whole pound by myself. More than once. :o

angie1 12-06-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16121523)
I have eaten a whole pound by myself. More than once. :o

you are not alone....:o:hyst:

i love bacon all too much . can't wait for the day I can eat it in moderation lol

HomeWorkerMT 12-06-2012 03:24 PM

I am SO addicted to bacon! I cook a pound every Monday morning and refrigerate to eat on all week! Most DD I eat bacon. The kind I buy has 80 calories in 2 slices. I bake mine in the oven also. On DD I eat it 1/2 slice at a time (just 20 calories!). On UD I eat more.....ah hmm...liberally! I am pretty picky about my bacon!

JayLynn 12-06-2012 04:17 PM

I buy the Kirkland low sodium bacon at Costco and it says 80 cal for 2 slices. I have that most days with my scrambled eggs. It keeps me going until afternoon. I love a BLT but haven't had one in ages. Maybe on an UD somewhere down the road. But I haven't had a slice of bread in like forever either.

KeirasMom 12-06-2012 04:38 PM

Oh gee, now I really, really want a BLT! Maybe tomorrow's UD. We have a gourmet bistro truck that does these amazing BLTs with gruyere, local organic tomatos and bacon all on this amazing bun. :yummy: Oh yeah!

LoCarbGal 12-06-2012 09:41 PM

You guys are making me hungry!

I made it through my bacon day, happy and satisfied the majority of the time. When I came home tonight, as soon as I walked in the door, all I could smell was bacon, and I wanted more! But alas, I had eaten my DD calorie allotment.

The other day as I was cleaning out my kitchen cabinets, I realized that my stove vent had come undone from the wall/vent going outside. I can't get it re-attached by myself so it's still like that. So anyway, every time I used the vent, it was just releasing greasy, hot air into the cabinet. Scary! And everything in that cabinet was covered with a delightful, sticky, greasy film. YUK! So today when I was cooking my bacon, I reached up to turn on the vent and remembered, no, not until it's fixed. Result, the whole kitchen, dining, living area smells like bacon. Pretty yummy smelling now, but tomorrow it might not be so great. Anyway....

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 07:06 AM

I have resorted to cooking bacon in the microwave exclusively. It's easier, faster and the bacon tastes just as good, IMO. I need to get one of those bacon trays for the microwave, then it will be a snap.

LoCarbGal 12-07-2012 07:13 AM

How do you do it in the microwave LG? Whenever I've tried it just makes an awful, greasy mess and I have to wipe the whole thing out and wash the tray. Share your secret!

I've also tried the baking in the oven method, and wound up with another greasy mess in the bottom of my oven! What am I doing wrong???

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 07:17 AM

LCG, I put the slices on a plate, cover with 4 paper towels folded (full sized, but folding at perforation on top of each other) and use the breafast items button on the microwave (for bacon). When it's done, I throw the greasy paper in the trash (use pot holder to remove plate--it's HOT), take the crispy bacon off the plate and tada! Not really much to wash up. I also have a rotating table in my microwave, but it rarely gets on it...another thing would be to use kitchen shears to cut the bacon in half, so it doesn't spill over the sides of the plate and the paper towel covers it completely. Try it! A dinner plate will only hold about 4-5 slices of bacon, but you could do more than one batch, of course. Throw away the paper towels, wipe off the plate and fill with more bacon! I have no problem with washing the plate afterward...much easier than washing the frying pan AND finding somewhere to put all that grease.

LoCarbGal 12-07-2012 07:36 AM

Ooh, I can't wait to try that next time. Thanks!