Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Talk to me about having a fixed days rotation

Right now I'm doing the traditional DD/UD rotation, but weekends are really hard for me to have a DD. Saturday is always a fly by the seat of our pants kind of day and every Sunday we go to my in-laws for a big lunch of salad, steaks, and sides (haven't missed a Sunday in like 10 years lol). I think I've seen some here that have fixed UDs/DDs? If you do, how is it working for you? Have you seen a slow down in your loss? I was thinking of trying a schedule for the next 2-3 weeks and seeing what happens-Mondays would be DDs, Tuesdays would be UDs, Wednesdays would be DDs, Thursdays would be UDs, Friday DDs, and then Saturday/Sundays both UDs.

Would love some input
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 176/173.8/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
I do M-W-F DD, Tues, thurs UD - and then I make either sat or sun UD and the other a MD. I lost 20 pounds doing this!!! It really worked for me, and I didn't feel deprived one bit!!
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1 View Post
I do M-W-F DD, Tues, thurs UD - and then I make either sat or sun UD and the other a MD. I lost 20 pounds doing this!!! It really worked for me, and I didn't feel deprived one bit!!
thanks for the input! I didn't think about making one of my weekend days a MD-something to think about. The highlight of my week are those Sunday lunches at the in-laws- the salads are huge and loaded with everything from pepperoni to bacon lol. And then my fil does amazing things with grass fed, local steaks on his grill/smoker But, Saturdays we usually end up eating at least one meal out, and the day tends to be all over the place. Maybe I can try a couple weeks with both being UDs and then try a MD Saturday/UD Sunday combo and see what happens? Lots to think about!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
I thought about that too, Sara. It would be good to have fixed days for many reasons. I don't have any social obligations that I must adhere to right now, but have been pondering the idea. I would rather have Mon-Wed-Fri UDs and Tue-Thurs-Sat. DD's all the time...might not work out if I have 4 UD's and 3 DD's...? Could do MD on Sun.
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Yes definitely give it a try!
When I first started, I found it very very hard to do DD on a weekend, thus found rotations very hard.

M-W-F worked perfectly with my lifestyle, and I was able to stick to it and lose the pounds!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
It's definitely a YMMV thing, as some do really well with a fixed days rotation, and some find that they stall or just maintain. I did straight rotations and didn't like MDs at all when I was in wlm because they seemed to cause endless stalls (but I was an extremely slow loser so I might not be a good example). On the other hand, I've been maintaining for over 5 months now just fine with a fixed days rotation. I do M, W, F UDs and T, Th, Sa DDs with Sundays being a MD.

In any case, you won't know until you try, and it's important that this woe be customized to work for you and to be something you can live with, so why not give it a shot?
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: August 2012
I posted on another thread that I've done fixed rotations from the beginning. MWFS are my up days and T, Th, Su are my DD's. I still lost very consistently. I had two stalls but that is apparantly common no matter what. I went from 130 to 110 in less than four months so I'm incredibly pleased. Especially nice that I got to eat out with friends on Fridays & Saturdays.
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: garnet10
Stats: 182/Goal 125
WOE: hCG
Start Date: hCG 10/9/10; restarted 10/14/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie1 View Post
20 lbs is about what I need to lose--how long did it take to lose the 20?
garnet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet10 View Post
20 lbs is about what I need to lose--how long did it take to lose the 20?
About two and half months ...and I was only dieting half the time ! This was after losing and gaining the same 10 lbs for over 2 years with other diets (brutal!) JUDDD did it for me! - I still have another 20 pounds to lose (probably going to happen after the holidayy feasts)

Although everybodys body is different. I would say do what works with you, test out the different rotations, and then let us know how it goes!!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Established

thanks for the input everyone! I'm definitely going to give this a try-maybe start with Saturday's being a MD and then Sunday's being an UD.

Silly question-how do we figure out what our MD calories are? I've had one MD, and I just divided my UD calories in half. I have no idea if that's the right way to figure MD calories out
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
Question, when you have a MD followed by a DD, is that DD filled with constant hunger?
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tooraloora
Stats: 222/150.7/139
WOE: 2003 calorie counting + ex./ 2012 Aug 25: JUDD
I do fixed UDs re my fitness class teaching days, as I simply cannot imagine a spin class on 500 cals... MWF... with T, Th and Sun DD's and Sat is MD (I do MD as add DD to UD and divide by 2... midway pt... so for me, 500 + 2000 divided by 2 = 1250). Sometimes I swap out Fri UD and Sat MD if we are going out on Sat.

as for this "working" I have had my whingey posts complaining it was slow, but overall I have lost 18 lbs in 14 weeks... which includes a big whoosh to start, so about 1 lb/week. Which is probably to be expected as one gets closer to goal.

Now for December, I plotted out the whole month, which includes 3 parties and two 2-3 day visits with two sides of the family... so most of those are UDs, even back to back, and tried to make sure at least 2 DDs each week, but no DDs back to back, and then MDs as need be. I realize that this will likely slow my weight loss, but since I usually gain weight over xmas, I will take it!

good luck

Jan 29-Feb 14: Potato hack (plus dinner every other day)
Feb 15 onward: ? back to JUDDD... or calorie counting with intermittent potato hacks
tooraloora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hvrijssa
Stats: 118/110/100
I do M-W-F as DDs and TU-TH as UDs. I do weekends as UUAD or whatever happens (I don't count calories, I just eat and drink whatever I feel like).
I'm a very slow loser having lost 7.5lbs in 3.5 months but I'm happy I haven't gained anything.
A the beginning of 2012 I couldn't stop gaining weight so I started exercising, but this didn't stop the trend. So I continued with the exercises and introduced judd and that stopped me from putting on more weight.
I was not in a hurry to lose weight as I didn't have much to lose (18lbs) so I decided that I deserve to keep my weekends 'diet free' and that's what I'm doing and I'm very happy with it.
Hvrijssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moebug
Stats: 175/175/160
Start Date: 11/29/2012
Ooh, I like this idea of fixed days rotation...and that you have had success with two UD in a row on the weekends. I need to lose about 15-25 lbs. Yesterday was my first successful UD as I did count my calories and felt very satisfied.
Moebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:01 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyric's Mom
Stats: 130/110 5'2" 41 y/o
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
In answer to your question, I read on another thread that you can get your MD cals by plugging in 60% maintenance on the JUDDD calculator. Or you can add your recommended DD cals to your up day cals and divide by 2. Either way should bring you to the same number.
Lyric's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyric's Mom View Post
In answer to your question, I read on another thread that you can get your MD cals by plugging in 60% maintenance on the JUDDD calculator. Or you can add your recommended DD cals to your up day cals and divide by 2. Either way should bring you to the same number.
Playing with the numbers that I got off of Dr. Johnson's website calculator- looks like MD calories for me would be 1,0625, UD is 1771, and DD calories are 354. I haven't done this since losing some weight so my numbers are lower than what I was going by-time to work on getting my DDs lower than 500!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
MDs do equal 60% setting on Dr. J's calculator.
As far as the fixed days go, I can't comment, but hope to do that in maintenance. I'm taking a maintenance break in December and will start this weekend with 2 UDs and do MWF my regular under 200 cal DDs and UDs T and TH. I want to keep this month's bounce range between 138-135. So I'll be trying out my maintenance plan with fixed rotations, but for weghtloss- the amount I needed to lose I don't think it would have worked unless four of the fixed days were DDs- this is definetly a YMMV kind of thing though. It's worth a try. JUDDD shouldn't be painful so if this makes it more enjoyable even if weightloss is a bit slower it's totally worth it, right?

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #18
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
MDs do equal 60% setting on Dr. J's calculator.
As far as the fixed days go, I can't comment, but hope to do that in maintenance. I'm taking a maintenance break in December and will start this weekend with 2 UDs and do MWF my regular under 200 cal DDs and UDs T and TH. I want to keep this month's bounce range between 138-135. So I'll be trying out my maintenance plan with fixed rotations, but for weghtloss- the amount I needed to lose I don't think it would have worked unless four of the fixed days were DDs- this is definetly a YMMV kind of thing though. It's worth a try. JUDDD shouldn't be painful so if this makes it more enjoyable even if weightloss is a bit slower it's totally worth it, right?
So true!

Ok, I'm going to try it Today is an UD, tomorrow will be a DD and then Saturday/Sunday will be UDs. I like the idea of making Saturdays a MD, but we're going to a local diner for breakfast and they don't list their nutritional info anywhere (mom and pop kind of deal). I may be able to figure out an estimate though, if I get one of their 6 egg omelets with veggies and cheese inside. I think I will do two weekends of UDs, and then try two weekends of MD/UDs. I'll report back with how it works!

Last edited by mom23kids; 12-06-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp2play View Post
Question, when you have a MD followed by a DD, is that DD filled with constant hunger?
I can't speak for others, but it would for me, which is why I have mine set as DD, then MD, then UD. I could never follow up a MD with a good DD.

Sara, that sounds good, and definitely let us know how it goes.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I was told that if you use a MD it should be after a DD.

So it would be like:

small
medium
large

Good Luck!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
Big Yapper!!!!

So it looks like you need at least 3 DD's a week in order to keep losing, or maintain, depending on your cals. However, it would make 2 UD's back to back...and if you make one DD an MD, then you only have 2 DD's. Hmmmm....I guess it doesn't matter really, as it's the total number of calories a week that determine's the loss, right? Someone help me, I'm getting the blonde phenomenon thingy.

What I'm trying to accomplish is MWF being UD's. Which would make Sun & Mon both UD's, but I would always have TTS(at) as DD's. I wonder if the reason JUDDD works so well is because every other week you have 4 DD's.

"Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

"In every triumph there is a lot of try."

"Have the courage of your desire."
*Cindy*

Last edited by Librarygirl; 12-06-2012 at 01:54 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
In some ways Juddd is not just calories in calories out, but in part it is and there needs to be a calorie deficit, which with 3 DD every week versus 4 every other week losses will be slower- by how much I don't know and probably depends on the individual. The rotations are a key part to juddd and eod works really well to build up the SIRTs and keep the metabolism humming. Every one loses at different rates even if consuming the exact same food on the same schedule, but I wanted to maximize my losses. I was sick and tired of my weight and of feeling terrible. I wanted my weight loss to be as rapid as possible while being healthy and for me that meant eod rotations. If however, this made me miserable or made me feel deprived I may not have stuck with it in which case it would be better to have slower losses if I was more likely to adhere to fixed rotations and that meant only 3 DDs a week every week instead of 4 every other week.

We all have other goals beside the ultimate loss of weight. Some people need to see the scale drop to stay motivated while others need their woe to fit their life so they stick with it. JUDDD is great because it can be flexible. Some of us eat 600-700 on DDs and lose, some of us eat what ever on UD and don't count, some of us train for an Iron Man/Woman while JUDDDing.

Over all we see that eod UD/DD rotations at 20% WLM is a good place to start and then adjust accordingly. JUDDD should not be painful- let me repeat- JUDDD should not be painful! There are numerous calorie settings and activity levels that work for many and many happily lose or maintain with fixed rotations. This is also not a race- so enjoy! And if fixed rotations are part of that equation that is important. JUDDD can only work if you can stick with it.

Book over!
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
So it looks like you need at least 3 DD's a week in order to keep losing, or maintain, depending on your cals. However, it would make 2 UD's back to back...and if you make one DD an MD, then you only have 2 DD's. Hmmmm....I guess it doesn't matter really, as it's the total number of calories a week that determine's the loss, right? Someone help me, I'm getting the blonde phenomenon thingy.

What I'm trying to accomplish is MWF being UD's. Which would make Sun & Mon both UD's, but I would always have TTS(at) as DD's. I wonder if the reason JUDDD works so well is because every other week you have 4 DD's.
I'm not really sure that's the whole picture, because I'm eating way more calories (several hundred more on a daily basis, actually) now and even while in wlm on a weekly average doing JUDDD than I was when I tried just straight calorie restriction, and I couldn't lose doing the straight calorie restriction on a daily basis for over half a year even with the lower calories. I feel like JUDDD sort of revved up my barely-alive metabolism. The alternate day up and down significant difference in cals definitely was what made the difference for me.

Last edited by vilanteira; 12-06-2012 at 02:40 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

I could do your routine, vilanteira...MWF U, TTSa D and Sun MD. Do you think you could lose this way or only maintain?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post

No. Sorry but it is the swing of UDs and DDs, the difference between the calorie intake on those days that matters on JUDDD. If you choose to do 3 set days that is up to you, it works for a lot of people and DrJ mention it as an option. It may slow your losses, which is not important in the long term. It is simply a choice.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
Big Yapper!!!!

If I decide to do as I said above, then the only time I wouldn't have a *big* swing is between Su and Mon, which would be from a MD to a UD. So I would still be swinging.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

LG, I know there are a number of us here who do the same type of a fixed day rotation with one MD who are able to lose just fine (actually, some even do two UDs in a row and can lose fine). For myself, I needed a straight rotation to lose, but can maintain easily with the fixed day rotation with one MD. It's hard to say how it'll be until you try it though, and if you can lose doing it this way and making things easier for yourself, it's definitely worth the try in my book.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Probably will stick to my rotations for a bit longer...not afraid to mix it up when the time is right though. Thanks to all of you for the information and hand-holding.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

This isn't directed at anyone in particular here, but this thread made me think of tweaks on this woe and I remembered a good thread from way back, and still a great read with some good advice:

Shake It Up, Baby! (for no loss/too slow loss/the diet-weary, etc.)

(I miss sophiethecat , and hope she and the others from back then are doing well.)
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

I'm sticking with the simple plan for now. I am as confused as a cow in the living room.