Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Egg day (DD) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/790727-egg-day-dd.html)

Avicenna 12-05-2012 08:02 AM

Egg day (DD)

I don't like potatoes, and I noticed a lot of people on the main board posting about their egg fasts. So, I decided to try egg DD's (hard boiled eggs). Anyone else trying this?

Advantages:
* it's simple
* it seems to promote weight loss
* it keeps you full
* eggs are nutritious

Disadvantages:
* too many eggs at once can make you feel ill
* of course, this would not be good for people who are allergic to eggs
* eggs seem to be a little more expensive here these days

I have been slightly more liberal with my calories (8 large eggs are scheduled for today; however, it is hard to imagine gaining too much weight just eating hard boiled eggs).

I should say that I always try to buy free-range eggs because I feel sorry for the chickens.

I liked the bulletproof coffee DD plan, and that was also filling; but for some reason I started to gain weight when I went on that, so I had to give that up.

Zib 12-05-2012 08:22 AM

I'm planning one of these for Monday. This will be after a holiday party weekend and I'm having a colonoscopy on Thursday. My MIL who had these frequently always said to start a few days early on the no meat/no red foods/no fiber, nuts, seeds routine.

I'm going to do 5 eggs (400 cals) made into an egg salad with 100 cals of mayo.

mom23kids 12-05-2012 08:47 AM

I've never done an egg day but I love eggs and I also get all the eggs I want free, from my in-laws (from their pet chickens lol), so I'm definitely interested in doing this :) I'm in the middle of the potato hack, but maybe I'll do an all egg DD next week sometime :) Can't wait to see how others do on this!

adillenal 12-05-2012 08:49 AM

My regular DD's were 2 eggs for B and a HB egg for L and D. I am doing the poatao DD now since my hens are molting and we only get enough eggs for DH and the dog's breakfast now.
Worked well for me. That was only 4 eggs a day though.

LoCarbGal 12-05-2012 09:52 AM

I've done it a few DDs. Usually I would drink my coffee & HWC in the morning, and then go until dinner and have 3 boiled eggs cut in half with dollops of mayo/mustard and some salt on top. Lazy woman's deviled eggs. I love doing this. Toughest part is no solid food until dinner, but I manage.

sunday 12-05-2012 10:00 AM

I have done eggs for DD's quite a bit. My hesitancy in trying the Potato hack would be that my love for fat/protein is going to be an issue when doing it for multiple days. If you haven't already been doing high fat daily (like me) the eggfast should do the same trick as the potatoes do. ;)

vilanteira 12-05-2012 11:39 AM

I love eggs and have never gotten tired of them. At one point I was eating 4 of them for my only DD meal at night. I'm a weird one though, in that even plain hard boiled eggs with just a bit of sea salt isn't enough to satisfy hunger sometimes, since I do better with significantly higher fat with my protein. (Still wondering why NK didn't work for me, since I love high fat...) I prefer over easy eggs, and I always had to have 4 slices of bacon or some fatty sausage along with my eggs to feel full.

I know others have done well with egg fasts though, so I think it should work for most people.

Luv2Eat 12-05-2012 11:45 AM

I eat HB egg whites every DD. Haven't tried only eggs, love my coffee with H&H cream too much to afford the calories. Sounds like a reasonable plan.

sterlinggirl 12-05-2012 11:57 AM

Yep i also agree that it should work just fine, in fact when i feel like i MUST put food in.. that is what i reach for. HB but usally only 1.. I drink tons of water and suppliment food for coffee .. Best of luck there dear~:heart:

Avicenna 12-06-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zib (Post 16118717)
I'm planning one of these for Monday. This will be after a holiday party weekend and I'm having a colonoscopy on Thursday. My MIL who had these frequently always said to start a few days early on the no meat/no red foods/no fiber, nuts, seeds routine.

I'm going to do 5 eggs (400 cals) made into an egg salad with 100 cals of mayo.

Hope the colonoscopy is ok!

Maybe I will add some regular mayonnaise too.

I read the other thread and it seems some people have done this for days...I don't think I could do it every day without feeling ill at the thought of eggs...but so far every other day is ok.

sunday 12-06-2012 11:37 AM

Hi Avicenna,

A lot of folks have good luck with adding some meat to the eggs. So as long as you strick to fats/protein no carbs, it seems to have the same fat releasing effect. :up:

mom23kids 12-06-2012 12:03 PM

I'm doing an egg/bacon DD tomorrow :D

sunday 12-06-2012 12:08 PM

Sarah,

That is pretty much my every DD. :yummy:

mom23kids 12-06-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunday (Post 16121484)
Sarah,

That is pretty much my every DD. :yummy:

I've figured my up to date DD calories and wow, not a whole lot :eek: I've got 354 for the day tomorrow-I think one egg is 77 calories? I need to check that. And then it looks like one slice of cooked bacon is around 41 calories. But, I do need at least one cup of diet hot cocoa on my DDs-helps ward off the cold effect and it also gives me something sweet, to fight off cravings. That's 20 calories. I'll have to play around with the numbers and come up with a combination that works :)

eta: it looks like egg whites are only around 16 calories?! I could do some of those scrambled with one piece of bacon crumbled, throughout the day....thinking out loud here :D

Librarygirl 12-06-2012 01:23 PM

Sara, you can have 5 HB eggs and 5 servings of bacon, 2 slices ea., for 500 cals. Oops, 354...Gwaltney 40% fat bacon in green package has 30 cals per slice. I figured up 500 cals, but you can do the math for 354. :D

I'm up to 343 calories today.:doh: I'm still allowing myself between 500-600 calories on DD, so no prob. Although I want to lose weight fast, I know it's better if I don't do it too fast, for many reasons...so I don't mind having a little extra on DD's. If I wasn't hungry (which hasn't happened yet), I wouldn't try and eat all my cals tho.

mom23kids 12-06-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarygirl (Post 16121640)
Sara, you can have 5 HB eggs and 5 servings of bacon, 2 slices ea., for 500 cals. Oops, 354...Gwaltney 40% fat bacon in green package has 30 cals per slice. I figured up 500 cals, but you can do the math for 354. :D

thanks for the info!

Librarygirl 12-06-2012 01:30 PM

That's large eggs too, of course. If you buy med eggs, you can eat more...if you're fooled like that. :D