Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Feelings on up and down days

This maybe long. But need to talk about it.
I restarted again on JUDDD 1-1/2 weeks ago.
Have been doing great with it this time around.
Wanted to share what happened to me last weds-I think?
It was dd for sure.
I was going at have an MRI on both my knees later in the day.
I was anxious about finding relief for my knees and have some sort of life again.
I woke up feeling confident about my dd..as the morning dragged on, I started wanting to back slid on my dd calories. Couldn't get those comfort foods out of my mind.
And I wanted them now, not tmw-NOW.
I stuck to my guns-commented to drop wt.
finally early evening came. I did have a yogurt and something else before leaving for apt. Which was aloud for me. Didn't want to be in that machine laying perfectly still for 30 mins stretches in between and hour for the test.
After eating the 120 ish cal snack and left in the car.
I didn't even think about food again until later that night. Which I ended up doing great numbers on dd. looking back on that long morning at home with all my goodies at hand. I made it through, I did great with this woe, on my real challenge day. ( That's once!)
I feel we need to change our thinking about routine, if having a hard time on dd or up. Charge what ever ur doing...Unless ur at work u can't always do that.
But If u are able change ur scenery. Go for it!
Well here it is, hope I made myself understood.
It was a very week moment- several hours, but image it could- almost did end up with adding 1,000 unneeded cal. Yikes.
My report on MRI other hand.
Not good, knees replacements are in my future.
I'm going to put surgery off a while. and focus on knee injections.
When dr told me that i should wait a few years, put up with the pain in my knees, do some drug trying stuff. And when I was through with the pain, maybe 5 years....I Complained that I've already missed out and I'm missing out on things, work I need to do!
He's said what kind of work do I need to do?!
I was so got that he asked that.
I said, oh, stand, bend over, walk without waiting to cry- Who doesn't wanta do that?!! It makes me cry now to rethink my answer. But I'm ok with him asking it now. My husband meet me at the drs.
Later at home, I said,,,, what the hey. Y did dr ask that stupid question.
Hubby said he was probably wanting to hear from me that u weren't wanting to go back to running.
Oh,,,,, we'll that's a no brainier...so I've let that go. I do like my dr.
Think he thinks I'm to young (56) yet for surgery. Well I AIN'T!
I'm asking for input from u all.
Have u had knee replaced, or sibs, friends?
All the people I no have had great success with those surgeries.
Good day ladies an all.
It's a down dd for me. Waiting for my head buzz!
THANK U
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Eieio,
I love your post. Thanks.
I had perhaps a hundred patients go through knee replacements over my time in practice (I was a chiropractor). My experience was that most people only went forward with it when life with degenerative knees became unbearable, and that the vast majority of the procedures went beautifully. It's also true that the technology and the results are better now than they were even ten years ago.
The rehab is challenging and really important work (if you want those new knees to function well), but not as challenging as living with the lousy knees.
I'm sure you'll do really well when the time comes. All the best to you.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 12-05-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I have no experience with knee replacement, though I will need my left hip replaced at some point, and am putting that off just as long as possible. for you and hope you get out of it everything you want to.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Ei, I've definitely had my share of moments on DDs and even UDs where I just get the urge to eat more than I previously planned, either from real or perceived hunger. Sometimes I give in, but most of the time I don't anymore, and I've noticed that when I don't, that feeling almost always passes and then I feel great like you did about not having added an additional 500-1000+ calories that I didn't need after all. So I can definitely relate.

I don't know anything about knee replacement surgery, but I wish you the best and hope that everything will turn out well and that you feel better.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
I have near-bone-on-bone arthritis in my left knee and was advised this summer that a knee replacement is in my future. The doctor asked me questions to determine how strong or weak my knee was. When I told him I was walking and trying to get 6000 to 10,000 steps a day he told me to stop walking and to use an exercycle set on zero pressure instead. One breaks down cartilage and the other helps to build it apparently.

I did go to a gym for a while to do my cycling, then bought a little pedaller/mini-cycle that sits on the floor by my computer desk and do it every day. The difference in my knee is amazing. I can roll over in bed w/o worrying about that collapsing feeling or the pain (I was lifting my knee to roll over) for instance. And, although I still go down stairs one at a time, keeping my left knee straight and bending my right knee, I have taken stairs normally and not had that killing pain - not that I'm going to change my new habit.

My brother had both knees done at once and has had a good recovery.

Good luck to you, Eieio.
"I can never take for granted the euphoria produced by a cup of coffee. I'm grateful every day that it isn't banned as a drug, that I don't have to buy it from a pusher, that its cost is minimal and there's no need to increase the intake. And thanks to the magic in a cup of coffee, I'm able to plunge into a whole day's cheerful thinking." Anita Loos
Zib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
You did great controlling yourself, Eieio. That was a tough day, and you forged through it.

My mom had her right knee replaced at age 70, 9 years ago. Like Kristin (JoyJoy) said, she had suffered for many years and had gotten to the point where it was nearly unbearable, although she didn't show it much. The rehab was tough, no question. And for several months, didn't seem like much of an improvement in walking, from my perspective. But she said the pain immediately after surgery was very different. More like a healing pain, rather than that bone on bone, aching, sharp pain before.

She has done remarkably well long term. We joke that she gets around so much better at nearly 80 than she did all through her 60s. About a year ago, she started having that same old feeling, only in her left knee. She was starting to think she'd have to go through the surgery for this knee, and wasn't looking forward to that at 10 years older. Then she started doing these exercises, and although the pain is not gone, she says it's VASTLY decreased, and she's not thinking surgery anymore at this point. Here's what she does:

You can do just the leg that's hurting, but it's best just to alternate legs so you build strength equally.
*Sitting in a chair, with your butt all the way back to the back so your entire thigh is supported, lift your leg so it is horizontal with the floor.
*Hold for 5 seconds.
*Repeat on the other leg.
*Do some of the reps with foot flexed, and some with the toes pointed.

She does this for about 5 minutes each morning, and sometimes in the evening while she's watching TV. No time out of her schedule.

Also, when your knee(s) begin to feel better, you can lift it a touch higher than horizontal - it builds those muscles just a bit more. Be careful not to hyperextend.

You can also advance by sitting a bit forward on the chair, so your entire thigh is not supported, further strengthening those muscles.

I sure hope you can buy some time before you have surgery, but if you do have it, you won't be sorry in the long run. If you try these exercises, I hope they help you. They take a few weeks of doing them every day, but hopefully you'll feel as much relief as my mom does!

Ordinary things, done consistently, produce extraordinary results. ~ Keith Cunningham

My Journal: LoCarbGal's Balancing Act ~ Losing Fat, Building Muscle, & Living Life!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Good for you for not giving in to the craving, eieio! I'm sorry that the report on your knees was not good. I have no experience with knee replacement surgery. I have been reading the book "Deep Nutrition" by Dr. Cate Shanahan, and she writes extensively about how helpful bone broth is for joint health and rebuilding and maintaining cartilege.

I make bone broth every week from the bones and leftover skin from a roasted chicken and from roasted (at 425 degrees for one hour, turned once, in a roasting pan) beef soup bones. I put the roasted bones into a Dutch oven with a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, some salt, and sliced onions (and a can of tomato paste for the beef broth) and simmer on low heat for several hours on a weekend day. Then I scoop out the bones with a slotted spoon and throw them away, chill the broth, and skim off most of the fat that rises to the top. The bone broth is really tasty; I drink at least a cup per day, and it's great on DDs, in particular. Most books about traditional healthy cooking (e.g., "Nourishing Traditions," "Naked Food," "Deep Nutrition") recommend making and eating bone broth, and maybe it would help your joints. At the very least, homemade bone broth is delicious and high in nutrients and low in calories.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Thank u all for ur thoughts

I will try those exercise when I get a few good days under my belt.
Yes there is lot of advancement in knee surgery now a days.
Now they may need replaced again in 25 years, instead of the 10 year- old school days. Thank goodness. Then only replace the hinge part, no messing with the actual bone as in first surgery. Shoo wa.
Hip replacement for sure would be something to think about for sure a bigger deal.
hummm
I'm wondering how riding a MOTOR SCOOTER and having bad hip works together? Wink.
Thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Dawn how's the paper cut finger?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Great job at staying your course.. To many times it is so easy to just give in and eat..I know all to well due to i am a stress or depression eater. So great job!!! you got this.. also.. as far as the knee replacements, from what i gather from my clients here at work, the knee is only good for "X" amt of years, and that i belive in part is why your Doc may be asking you to hold off for a few more years.. Not that he wants you to experience pain and not have quality of life.. but, he knows if its done to soon in life, you will with out a doubt be looking at a second surgery to replace what was already done.. Now i may be wrong.. seeing as i am agetting my infomation from elderly folks here at work and have not researched it my self.
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Great job at staying your course.. To many times it is so easy to just give in and eat..I know all to well due to i am a stress or depression eater. So great job!!! you got this.. also.. as far as the knee replacements, from what i gather from my clients here at work, the knee is only good for "X" amt of years, and that i belive in part is why your Doc may be asking you to hold off for a few more years.. Not that he wants you to experience pain and not have quality of life.. but, he knows if its done to soon in life, you will with out a doubt be looking at a second surgery to replace what was already done.. Now i may be wrong.. seeing as i am agetting my infomation from elderly folks here at work and have not researched it my self.
I do believe you are right on this. Rehab doctor said the same thing and having a second knee replacement in 20 years would be rough as an elderly person.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
I will try those exercise when I get a few good days under my belt.
Yes there is lot of advancement in knee surgery now a days.
Now they may need replaced again in 25 years, instead of the 10 year- old school days. Thank goodness. Then only replace the hinge part, no messing with the actual bone as in first surgery. Shoo wa.
Hip replacement for sure would be something to think about for sure a bigger deal.
hummm
I'm wondering how riding a MOTOR SCOOTER and having bad hip works together? Wink.
Thanks guys!
I snorted water out my nose on that one! I haven't actually tried my scooter yet, but I think it'll be fine. Once you're going, there's not much too it (I hope!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eieio View Post
Dawn how's the paper cut finger?
Ugh, no improvement. Finished antibiotics yesterday, so I know it's not an infection. I also have it now on two other fingers, both on the other hand, so it's something systemic. I still think it's gout. Okay, I'm done complaining, and jacking your thread!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote