Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   JUDDD magic...how long did it take you to kick in? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/790689-juddd-magic-how-long-did-take-you-kick.html)

Crazy PreK Teacher 12-04-2012 03:00 PM

JUDDD magic...how long did it take you to kick in?

This question is for the veteran JUDDDers...

How long did it take you on average to really start seeing a losing pattern? I have seen others post that it takes a month or two to really get into that loss mode. And...the increased energy...does it take a while? That's what I am looking forward to...lol.

I have a few friends that are definitely interested in JUDDD. I haven't been doing it long enough to know a round-about answer for them...I have told them how much some ladies on here have lost...and they are excited. Of course, they want to know how much, & how fast they will lose...but I am not a good example...

My first week I lost 2 lbs. which surprised me, but had a .2 gain the second week, due to some major water retention issues and possibly the introduction of too many carbs at first...I am very carb-phobic...obviously gonna take me a while to adjust. And I'm just Day 2 of week 3. I am mainly maintaining right now...to lock in a set-point from 116 lb. loss this year (through hHCG). Losing anything right now is just a "freebie" for me....but I'll take it:D I am using the max weight-loss numbers, and maintaining...so I suppose my body has not slipped into losing mode yet...can't imagine if I was using max maintenance numbers:confused:...I would prolly gain. I'm one of those that gains on anything 1200+ calories...my metabolism is crazy! Hopefully JUDDD fixes & helps me normalize eventually.

Thanks everyone!!!

KeirasMom 12-04-2012 03:09 PM

I started losing right away, but it has never been linear. I lost the first two weeks, then gained the third week, then lost the fourth, etc. I see that time and again. It takes patience to see how your own body will work, so there's no cut-and-dried answer for your friends.

There are some who start JUDDD, and their metabolisms are crazy or there are other health issues, and it takes 4, 6, 8, or even more weeks for the full JUDDD magic to kick in. That includes the weight loss and the energy, all the other health benefits we see with JUDDD, reduced inflammation, etc., etc. ETA: I think there's often a delay with those coming from HcG, so that may be what you're experiencing. I think once your body adjusts, you'll see losses again.

My situation has been a little odd, in that I started to get the energy (I think it was after a couple of weeks, maybe a month), but then my thyroid crashed, and I've never had that great energy since. Despite not having the energy, I've managed to lose nearly 100 pounds with JUDDD (next week will be my 1 year JUDDDiversary and I've lost 95.6 pounds so far with JUDDD - the rest was with Atkins). I have nothing to complain about. :D

adillenal 12-04-2012 03:20 PM

I don't think there is a pattern. I bounced all over the place but inched my way down. Took 9 months to get where I am now.
Patience is key to JUDDD.

Crazy PreK Teacher 12-04-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16117469)
I started losing right away, but it has never been linear. I lost the first two weeks, then gained the third week, then lost the fourth, etc. I see that time and again. It takes patience to see how your own body will work, so there's no cut-and-dried answer for your friends.

There are some who start JUDDD, and their metabolisms are crazy or there are other health issues, and it takes 4, 6, 8, or even more weeks for the full JUDDD magic to kick in. That includes the weight loss and the energy, all the other health benefits we see with JUDDD, reduced inflammation, etc., etc. ETA: I think there's often a delay with those coming from HcG, so that may be what you're experiencing. I think once your body adjusts, you'll see losses again.

My situation has been a little odd, in that I started to get the energy (I think it was after a couple of weeks, maybe a month), but then my thyroid crashed, and I've never had that great energy since. Despite not having the energy, I've managed to lose nearly 100 pounds with JUDDD (next week will be my 1 year JUDDDiversary and I've lost 95.6 pounds so far with JUDDD - the rest was with Atkins). I have nothing to complain about. :D

Thanks Dawn!!! Good info to know. No doubt...you have absolutely done wonderful! No complaints there...I hear ya!!!! Sometimes, we just have to stop and REMEMBER what we have accomplished...I have issues with that self-acceptance:confused: Last New Years day...I sat at 291 lbs...I am 174 lbs. today...:doh:

You're right...I am an oddball...b'cuz of the hHCG. I definitely feel better since being on JUDDD...but it is hard to judge since hHCG is a very tough protocol...and I was showing signs of weakness...so just being finished with it prolly caused my body to respond better. I am continuing with JUDDD...so far, I am soooo enjoying it, and I am maintaining perfectly...which is a roller-coaster after hHCG.

Thanks again...you always know the right words to say:high5:

gotsomeold 12-04-2012 03:26 PM

I lost a pound a week for the first three weeks. On Wednesday of week four, I felt the magic (I hope you get it, it feels wonderful!) and thereafter, I averaged two pounds a week.

Those loses were not gradual. I bounced for five or six days, then saw the loss on the sixth or seventh day. Then, back to bouncing with that as my new low.

I would have gotten to goal a lot earlier than I did. But I slowed myself down with (a) some bodacious vacations, (b) getting too much appetite suppression and failing to to notice I was eating waaaaaay below my UD calories for, oh, six weeks (blush), and (c) enjoying the journey, enjoying the experiments, enjoying learning about myself so much that I did ... the word is not 'stall', the correct way to put it is probably 'run in place' many times.

Oh, I lost on average 500 DD and 1600 UD until the last 12 pounds. When I stalled that time, I checked to make sure I was doing everything right, realized I was eating at maintenance levels. So, I dropped DDs to average 400 and UDs to average 1400. And lost those last 12 pounds in six weeks.

And yes, when I say 'average' I mean some days I ate way below, and some days I ate way above. By luck, occasionally I ate just right.

Carly 12-04-2012 03:35 PM

I started losing from day 1- fits and starts- whooshes and 2 week stalls, but always a downward trend with the expected bounces. The other JUDDD Magic was noticible after 6 weeks or so. First it was appitite suppression, followed by steadily increasing energy on DDs, then increased energy all around. About 2.5 to 3 months in was the start of a healing/healed relationship with food, followed by the JUDDD Calm. I'm no longer considered diabetic. I was on Byeatta injections 2x per day with A1C of 8.9. Two or three months ago it was under 6.5 with No Medication. My sleeping is greatly improved with very few instances of sleepwalk/ eating, which I had suffered from for 15 years. The only area where there has been no improvement is in my level of pain, sadly it's worse and that just doesn't make sense. You would think shedding 63+ pounds would= less pain, but I guess not for my type of degenerative arthritis. Hey, I'm not complaining! JUDDD has changed my life!

Crazy PreK Teacher 12-04-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16117497)
I lost a pound a week for the first three weeks. On Wednesday of week four, I felt the magic (I hope you get it, it feels wonderful!) and thereafter, I averaged two pounds a week.

Those loses were not gradual. I bounced for five or six days, then saw the loss on the sixth or seventh day. Then, back to bouncing with that as my new low.

I would have gotten to goal a lot earlier than I did. But I slowed myself down with (a) some bodacious vacations, (b) getting too much appetite suppression and failing to to notice I was eating waaaaaay below my UD calories for, oh, six weeks (blush), and (c) enjoying the journey, enjoying the experiments, enjoying learning about myself so much that I did ... the word is not 'stall', the correct way to put it is probably 'run in place' many times.

Oh, I lost on average 500 DD and 1600 UD until the last 12 pounds. When I stalled that time, I checked to make sure I was doing everything right, realized I was eating at maintenance levels. So, I dropped DDs to average 400 and UDs to average 1400. And lost those last 12 pounds in six weeks.

And yes, when I say 'average' I mean some days I ate way below, and some days I ate way above. By luck, occasionally I ate just right.

Hi Nancy:hiya:

Thanks for responding!!

I'm not quite sure where to put my calories...for max 20% weight loss/no exercise...I should be at 367/1836. I usually get to 250/1400-1500. I may be sabotaging myself...not sure. I have heard that there needs to be 1000+ calories between DD & UD...so 400/1400 would be acceptable? I like your numbers:clap: I have trouble sometimes getting my UD calories higher, even with heavy fats...especially if I drink all my fluids throughout the day. I have never gotten to 1800's. I did reach 1697 today, but I have not drank what I should have today.

I had such an issue w/ water retention last week, so there really hasn't been much time to see where I need to be. I do know for certain...carbs do not agree with me yet. Starting tomorrow...I am going to do really LOW carb, and see where that takes me.

Thanks again!!!

Crazy PreK Teacher 12-04-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16117512)
I started losing from day 1- fits and starts- whooshes and 2 week stalls, but always a downward trend with the expected bounces. The other JUDDD Magic was noticible after 6 weeks or so. First it was appitite suppression, followed by steadily increasing energy on DDs, then increased energy all around. About 2.5 to 3 months in was the start of a healing/healed relationship with food, followed by the JUDDD Calm. I'm no longer considered diabetic. I was on Byeatta injections 2x per day with A1C of 8.9. Two or three months ago it was under 6.5 with No Medication. My sleeping is greatly improved with very few instances of sleepwalk/ eating, which I had suffered from for 15 years. The only area where there has been no improvement is in my level of pain, sadly it's worse and that just doesn't make sense. You would think shedding 63+ pounds would= less pain, but I guess not for my type of degenerative arthritis. Hey, I'm not complaining! JUDDD has changed my life!

Hi Carly:hiya:

Thanks for responding. I am sooooo waiting for the energy kick...I need it desperately:stars: And calm...well I teach Pre-K 4 y.o.'s...lol...I surely could use that anytime.

That is wonderful news about becoming medication-free!!!! That alone is ground-breaking!!!!

I have a heel spur & plantar fasciitis...you'd think by losing 100+ lbs. and tons less pressure...I'd have less pain...NOPE...it's worse now, and I am possibly looking at surgery to remove the broken piece of bone:confused: So I hear ya there!

Thanks again!!!

Carly 12-04-2012 05:23 PM

400/1400 sounds too low to me. I think I would stall big time. I'm 136 5'2" 36 years and I do about 200/1750- 300/1800. I would follow the calculator numbers for 6-8 weeks before adjusting- IMHO.

Crazy PreK Teacher 12-04-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carly (Post 16117695)
400/1400 sounds too low to me. I think I would stall big time. I'm 136 5'2" 36 years and I do about 200/1750- 300/1800. I would follow the calculator numbers for 6-8 weeks before adjusting- IMHO.

Okay...I think I will. I needed to hear that from someone...lol. It seems as I look over my weights from when I started 2 weeks ago...I was closer to those numbers, & that's the week I lost 2 lbs. Last week I cut back, added carbs, and I "blew up" w/ water retention...but I was stressed w/ my kitty being put down, ate Asian food & an early tough TOM...so coulda been many factors. Today was better...ate 1697 calories. Yesterday, I tried to fast, but could not...I had such a BAD headache (no hunger, really), & finally ate around 6:30 p.m....headache was gone in 30 minutes.

Thanks for the advice...gonna work on it tomorrow. I have to get over this mind-set of "don't do this" & "don't do that" that I'm used to over the years...:confused:

Flutter 12-04-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy PreK Teacher (Post 16117708)
Thanks for the advice...gonna work on it tomorrow. I have to get over this mind-set of "don't do this" & "don't do that" that I'm used to over the years...:confused:

YK, I think so many of us feel this way, I know I do! I have been fearful of going to high in calories, too. It's the little diet guilt monster in our heads saying eating is bad, bad, bad! It's going to take a bit of time to get past that little bugger!

Yvonnem2000 12-04-2012 10:15 PM

Thanks for this question and detailed responses. It helps me want to stick with it a while to see what's down the road.

gotsomeold 12-05-2012 03:32 AM

I agree with Carly (come to think of it, I always agree with Carly) 400/1400 seems too low to me too. You may have noticed on another thread I said my UD calories averaged 1700. I keep a manual log, on both posts I grabbed a range and did the math. Maybe I should say most of this journey I averaged 500/under 2000.

Adding carbs back for those of us with damaged carb mechanisms can be problematic.

Add 'em back all at once = water retention, a few extra big bounces, a period of stabilizing to the new WOE before your body settles down.

Add 'em back as small portions gradually = less water retention, lower or no unusual bounce, stabilization gets lost in the general adjustment to the rotation.

If you have been LC and decided to add carbs back, there is no right or wrong, it all about your unique metabolism. You learn more about yourself either way. And that learning is invaluable for future weight loss and maintenance!

No doubt about it, Flutter. Guilt seems to be a required ingredient of so many weight loss WOEs. Learning to let go of guilt, learning food is not inherently bad, learning to say "I ate the cookies but I stayed with my calories" or - this one is tough - "I ate over my calories but nbd, I'll bring it back in line tomorrow" is tough but oh, so freeing. I think I'll go play on the Cortisol and Stress thread now.

sterlinggirl 12-05-2012 06:28 AM

When i started JUDDD for me the losses we fast and i lost alot right off the bat.That in part was why i kept goin.. I have been one to be afraid of the UD caloires and have a hard time even today eating all my UD calories in part from years of thinking less was best.. but i found like many others ,, you MUST eat more to lose.. This has been a real life saver for me to not only take off the pounds i put on over the last ten years but also made it possible to lose more than those 25 pounds.. I Keep moving my goal because for the first time in my life i am actually losing weight and its easy!! :jumpyjoy: The losses were steady at first for me, i started im March.. and then the pattern set in at least for me of great losses for two weeks and the next two weeks kind of standing still.
I also have learned alot about weight gain and loss durring this journey..so when i ate on Thanksgiving and saw a 5 pound OVER night gain i was no worried! :hyst: I knew there was in no way possible i could gain that much "real" fat in one day of eating.. Its wonderful to finally be free to be in control of my life and my scale! :hugs: Life is great and JUDDD BUDDDS are on of the biggest reasons i belive JUDDD is magic! :heart:

Flutter 12-05-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 16118138)

No doubt about it, Flutter. Guilt seems to be a required ingredient of so many weight loss WOEs. Learning to let go of guilt, learning food is not inherently bad, learning to say "I ate the cookies but I stayed with my calories" or - this one is tough - "I ate over my calories but nbd, I'll bring it back in line tomorrow" is tough but oh, so freeing. I think I'll go play on the Cortisol and Stress thread now.

:jumpjoy: YES! I have big issues with this...but I went over my UD cals a bit yesterday. I knew I was doing it, too, but chose to anyways knowing DD was today and all would be fine. Lovely to do. Interesting that I was never able to do that on southbeach. Hmmmm. :confused:

Deen73 12-05-2012 07:23 AM

This thread is awesome! I love reading about all your individual journeys -- really inspirational. I have not experienced the JUDD myself yet (since last time I only stayed on for 2 1/2 weeks) -- but I am really looking forward to it! :)

dipgal 12-05-2012 07:42 AM

Thanks for starting this thread! These were questions I had too. Thanks to all the experts for their valuable insight!!

vilanteira 12-05-2012 07:46 AM

Here's another good thread with some additional reassurance. :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...ddd-magic.html

LoCarbGal 12-05-2012 10:26 AM

My losses started right away and were pretty quick at first. Then they slowed a little. I'm slow and steady at this point, and considering lowering my calories (recalculated) after the holidays.

I started having DD shivers maybe a month or more ago, about 6 - 8 weeks in. Crazy DD energy just within the last couple of weeks. I've noticed my skin has improved (redness issues on face, and I'm really light skinned and cuts/scabs heal quickly but take forever for pinkness to fade. That's less of an issue now. This is probably way TMI, but hardly any "butt zits" (boils?) at this point, and had several a month before - yuck and sorry for that! Less allergy symptoms. I'm thinking it's the lowering of inflammation all around.

Carly 12-06-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoCarbGal (Post 16119077)
My losses started right away and were pretty quick at first. Then they slowed a little. I'm slow and steady at this point, and considering lowering my calories (recalculated) after the holidays.

I started having DD shivers maybe a month or more ago, about 6 - 8 weeks in. Crazy DD energy just within the last couple of weeks. I've noticed my skin has improved (redness issues on face, and I'm really light skinned and cuts/scabs heal quickly but take forever for pinkness to fade. That's less of an issue now. This is probably way TMI, but hardly any "butt zits" (boils?) at this point, and had several a month before - yuck and sorry for that! Less allergy symptoms. I'm thinking it's the lowering of inflammation all around.

Not TMI- I use to have boils frequently and now- almost never! I don't think I would have realized it if you didn't point it out. Boy- I don't miss those!

Luv2Eat 12-06-2012 09:30 AM

Now that ya'll mention it, my boils have subsided - hadn't thought of that! Sounds like a NSV!!

I agree with SterlingGirl, there is something about the calorie rotations that help an old, broken metabolism body to continue to lose weight and push through the set points - and it's relatively easy! I'm still wrapping my brain around the fact that I can eat the same number of calories averaged over two days, (when I was chunky and borderline obese) and continue to lose weight.

JUDDD has changed my life. It rates up there with marriage and child bearing to me.

LoCarbGal 12-06-2012 10:20 AM

What a relief to hear I'm not the only one who has had those gross boils! I'm sure glad they're disappearing for us all.

Librarygirl 12-07-2012 08:27 AM

I started losing right away, but have stalled and bounced around a bit. Down 5 lbs in 23 days, so not too bad. I still haven't gotten the appetite suppression or "magic" if that is what it is, yet. I really, really hope I do one day (SOON). I haven't eaten anything today, just drinking coffee and not really hungry (UD), but still haven't found the "calm" of going through an entire DD without eventually being ravenous. I did get the energy, but mostly it was a good way to keep the hunger at bay and since I've been sick this week, I haven't been able to do a lot (but obsess about eating)...give it time, and I will too. :) :)